Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Fun2BFree

That's an added fan base SW didn't really have (yeah, there were always some adult geeks, but it was certainly less socially acceptable).

But, was it a fan base that SW helped spawn? Potter is definitely huge, but we'll need to see the fallout over decades to prove if it has real staying power or if it was a flash in the pan (relatively speaking).

whylightbulb

How many times did I hear that before IOA opened? No wonder Disney is in "wait and see" mode.

I hope it is a great pavilion but I'm not confident.
You should be confident. Operational and technical problems aside, Potter will be a ground-breaking dark ride. The ride system is more fun to ride than any other, the show elements will blow you away and the finale will be breathtaking! This isn't like Everest where if one show element goes down there is nothing else to experience. The ride is jam packed with never-before-seen effects and other secrets (I wish I could be more descriptive), that any attraction at WDW will look like child's play in comparison. The rest of the land will also feature some unique entertainment and will be themed quite nicely. Trust me when I say the hype in this case is justified.

JWG

I believe the discussion at hand is that Disney has no current projects.

Well, yes, to some degree but also (current threads):
-SM failure
-DTD decision failure
-SSE failure (descent related talk for the past 18 months)
-There's more but I'm lacking the desire to look

DisneyDellsDude

Well, yes, to some degree but also (current threads):
-SM failure
-DTD decision failure
-SSE failure (descent related talk for the past 18 months)
-There's more but I'm lacking the desire to look

But then there is also...
-Hall of Presidents (looks like it's going to be excellent!)
-Star Tours 2.0
-Monsters Inc Roller Coaster or The Little Mermaid dark ride; if they happen
-TTA Refreshening
and as much as I dislike DVC, the Animal Kingdom Lodge expansion seems extremely nice, as well as bringing back the classic treehouse villas.
Throw in the Luxo AA + Universe of Energy that returned to classic colors, and you do have some improvements coming to the parks.

JWG

-Star Tours 2.0
-TTA Refreshening
and as much as I dislike DVC, the Animal Kingdom Lodge expansion seems extremely nice, as well as bringing back the classic treehouse villas.
Throw in the Luxo AA + Universe of Energy that returned to classic colors, and you do have some improvements coming to the parks.

I agree, unfortunately those threads are outnumbered 2-1 by the "problems". I think the new DVC's are great. They generate cash and drive attendance (you've paid to go, the down economy shouldn't keep you away). They put people in the parks who may not otherwise be there spending money. The theming seems to be excellent at those resorts.

I also think that SM will be fine, even if it is the same general ride. If you get ride of the whiplash causing bumps, it's fine the way it is.

The others, if they happen (Mermaid, Star Tours) will also be nice additions.

I think more good than bad, I just feel in the minority about that opinion.

The Conundrum

Sorry but I remember all the same spin about IOA. The Hulk was supposed to be the greatest coaster ever! DD was the most high tech coaster ever! Spidey was the most advanced darkride ever! JP was the highest drop ever! The hype went on and on.

I never heard the claims about Hulk and DD BUT Spidey being the most advanced darkride and JP having the highest drop were valid claims. That isnt hype. Do we have hard numbers to see how sucessful IOA was at the beginning?

HP is having trouble holding onto it's original fanbase.

Where are you getting this information from? :shrug:

What is "cool" to one generation rarely seems "cool" to the next. Star Wars has passed that test.

I think the sucsess of properties like Star Trek and James bond proves this theory wrong.

-Star Tours 2.0

-TTA Refreshening

Disney has made no sugestion that monsters inc., star tours 2, or little mermaid are coming. There is no press release no actual hints from the company (i.e. construction happening) so you can't say there coming so matter of factly. Mentioning TTA refresh is a joke. Its amazing that something that should happen on a regular occurance has become a BIG deal worth mentioning. Luxo AA, some fresh paint on UOE, and a new DVC will NOT make people forget about Harry potter and come rushing to Disney. These things should be going on anyway.

Pete C

Original Poster
Sorry but I remember all the same spin about IOA. The Hulk was supposed to be the greatest coaster ever! DD was the most high tech coaster ever! Spidey was the most advanced darkride ever! JP was the highest drop ever! The hype went on and on.

I hope you are right about Potterland. But to say it is bigger than SW :shrug:

SW is moving into a third generation of fans. HP is having trouble holding onto it's original fanbase. What is "cool" to one generation rarely seems "cool" to the next. Star Wars has passed that test.

1. Ok, how is Spidey not the most advanced darkride ever? It's 10 years later and they can STILL claim this. Disney never had an answer for this ride, and they seem to be content by not even trying. Well, maybe they did try with Mission Space, but I'm sorry the experience isn't even in the same league. What was that you said about hype?

2. While HP's staying power remains to be seen, what exactly is Disney doing with the SW license? Do I see a new land being developed? Is SW's staying power being utilized into anything new? Star Tours 2, while it will be a nice upgrade, will probably still not be on par with Spiderman. I can say that because they are still planning to use the same ride system with upgraded film and effects. I mean, there is only so much they can do. I don't see how that will touch the multi-room, multi-sensory, big-screen experience that Spiderman delivers. I hope they can prove me wrong.

jt04

1. Ok, how is Spidey not the most advanced darkride ever? It's 10 years later and they can STILL claim this. Disney never had an answer for this ride, and they seem to be content by not even trying. Well, maybe they did try with Mission Space, but I'm sorry the experience isn't even in the same league. What was that you said about hype?

2. While HP's staying power remains to be seen, what exactly is Disney doing with the SW license? Do I see a new land being developed? Is SW's staying power being utilized into anything new? Star Tours 2, while it will be a nice upgrade, will probably still not be on par with Spiderman. I can say that because they are still planning to use the same ride system with upgraded film and effects. I mean, there is only so much they can do. I don't see how that will touch the multi-room, multi-sensory, big-screen experience that Spiderman delivers. I hope they can prove me wrong.

1. I'll take ToT over spidey anyday.

2. Disney does not own the SW franchise or even distribute it. If they did you might very well see an entire theme park dedicated to the Star Wars Universe.

They really really do need to do something new with Star Wars though... the possibilities of a great ride are just endless, especially after seeing what IOA did with Spiderman

Figment632

They really really do need to do something new with Star Wars though... the possibilities of a great ride are just endless, especially after seeing what IOA did with Spiderman

If it is based off of episodes 4,5,6 then yes if it's based on the the all CGI, bad script and story episodes 1,2,3 then no.

jt04

Obviously they are limited by the small footprint of the ride building.

And "they" is George Lucas. I truly believe this ride is taking so long because he has been waiting for the technology to reach the point where WDI could realize his vision.

And make no mistake, this will be his vision or it would not be happening.
I have confidence it will be just about as good as a simulator ride can be. The ride is still entertaining after all these years. Also keep in mind Lucas was the force (no pun intended) behind Alien Encounter. Pure quality.

Enough said.

Obviously they are limited by the small footprint of the ride building.

And "they" is George Lucas. I truly believe this ride is taking so long because he has been waiting for the technology to reach the point where WDI could realize his vision.

I have confidence it will be just about as good as a simulator ride can be. The ride is still entertaining after all these years. Also keep in mind Lucas was the force (no pun intended) behind Alien Encounter. Pure quality.

Enough said.

Very true.. Alien Encounter was awesome! I just remember riding Spiderman like 5 or 6 years ago for the first time and thinking... WOW! If that could be a Star Wars ride

Buried20KLeague

1. I'll take ToT over spidey anyday.

2. Disney does not own the SW franchise or even distribute it. If they did you might very well see an entire theme park dedicated to the Star Wars Universe.

What in the WORLD would make you choose ToT over Spidey every time?

Listen, I love ToT... My favorite version being the one in Japan, with WDW second. And both other those versions are highly immersive, and themed great. Japan's is absolute top notch. ABSOLUTELY. LOVE that attraction, and my kids each have their very own Sheriki from the gift shop.

But if ToT and spidey are next to each other, I'm riding spidey 8 out of 10 times. Nothing can beat the insane action and unbelievable effects that ride provides. Not even Japan's ToT.

Seriously, jt. Be objective. Just once. Be objective about something Disney. Set down the rose colored glasses, and be objective.

The Conundrum

Star Tours took so long not because of technology (They were ready to redo the ride in 1999). It is more to do with Disney being cheapo and not wanting to spend in 1999, not wanting to spend during the "boom time", and not wanting to spend now during the "down time" to redo the ride because it will be very expensive to meet a higher standard than any ride built at WDW this decade.

Naturally, Lucas's preoccupation with the Star Wars prequels and Indy 4 is also cause for the delays.

Alien Encounter was good but not great and that was mainly due to Disney THROWING out George Lucas's story treatment for the attraction.

Star Tours, Captain Eo, and Indy though :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom