Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Captain Chaos

"Eating Universal's dust?" Disney has never even seen Universal's dust, let alone tasted it. Maybe after Potterland opens Islands of Adventure might finally beat SeaWorld's attendance, but I don't even see this as being enough to push it into the top ten let alone compete with Disney.

Attendance wise is not what I was talking about.. I was talking innovention, imagination, something Disney used to pride itself on.. Potter will blow away anything Disney has, and as much as I want to see a Monsters Inc coaster, it won't top anything already opened...

Duckberg

POTTerrrrrr???

It will by a mile.

I am counting down the days till potter opens. I simply cannot wait to see what Disney does once the media starts hyping up HP land at Universal and the marketing blitz begins.

IMO they MAY :eek: go to PL, BUT their going to stay @ Disney :cool:. LOOK I'm not buying into the cash poor Universal bogeyman that's yet to open an attraction (Potter) that may have already peaked :veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu with a younger generation. Duckberg :hurl:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They could also stay off site? They may go elsewhere. Some people can tell the difference between margarine and butter, some weirdos even prefer Coke to Pepsi. Luckily we are all different and some folk arent even blinkered.

goodtimes5286

its really funny, i miss this topic b/c i was in orlando, then i come back, read the 1st page, go to the last page, and they have NOTHING in common :veryconfu lol

Captain Chaos

They'll probably announce something really cutting edge and creative....like a new parade or fireworks show. :lol:

Or announce they are closing Stich's Great Escape, which will be recieved as a blessing here on the boards, but then the replacement will be Hannah Montana's Great Escape... Then they will replace Stitch's Craptastic Dance Off with Hannah Montana's Craptastic Dance Off... Nothing says Tomorrowland better than HANNAH MONTANA!!!!! Hey, it will tie in with the new Space Mountain gift shop featuring High School Musical and Hannah Montana crap...

A character operated pin shop selling only High School Musical 97 merchandise.

Or they can do that too...

The Conundrum

IMO they MAY :eek: go to PL, BUT their going to stay @ Disney :cool:. LOOK I'm not buying into the cash poor Universal bogeyman that's yet to open an attraction (Potter) that may have already peaked :veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu with a younger generation. Duckberg :hurl:

You do realize it is in YOUR best interest that Potterland steals guests away from Disney right??

Fun2BFree

You do realize it is in YOUR best interest that Potterland steals guests away from Disney right??

Yes, competition is best for the consumer and keeps things fresh. The flurry of new Disney attractions near the millennium could be called a response to the threat of IoA, but the addition of the park did nothing to break Disney's stranglehold on the market -- perhaps this is the reason why WDW's new attractions seem so low-key.

Potter finally has the potential to scare Disney into taking action.

jt04

Yes, competition is best for the consumer and keeps things fresh. The flurry of new Disney attractions near the millennium could be called a response to the threat of IoA, but the addition of the park did nothing to break Disney's stranglehold on the market -- perhaps this is the reason why WDW's new attractions seem so low-key.

Potter finally has the potential to scare Disney into taking action.

How many times did I hear that before IOA opened? No wonder Disney is in "wait and see" mode.

I hope it is a great pavilion but I'm not confident.

The Conundrum

How many times did I hear that before IOA opened? No wonder Disney is in "wait and see" mode.

I hope it is a great pavilion but I'm not confident.

There was alot going against IOA when it opened including a poor marketing campaign and very few "tentpole" rides (Jurassic Park and Spider-Man were pretty much doing the heavy lifting for the park).

Harry Potter is HUGE. More kids know who potter is than mickey mouse. Its as big as Star Wars and easily eclipses the Pixar films. They have another movie coming out this year with two more after that and the books are universally loved.

Even if they just threw together a modern wdw-level attraction that was bare bones and slapped the Potter label on it. Universal would still see a big attendance boost.

But this is an entire well themed land with a MAJOR e-ticket that will utilize a revolutionary new ride system to immerse guests in the same way that Star Tours, Indy, and Spider-Man did previously. There will also be plenty of themeing and guest interactivity which is going to drive the hardcore fans absoluetly banannas. The only variable is poor economic conditions right now but even so expect huge crowds beating down the doors to get in on launch day.

JWG

There was alot going against IOA when it opened including a poor marketing campaign and very few "tentpole" rides (Jurassic Park and Spider-Man were pretty much doing the heavy lifting for the park).

Harry Potter is HUGE. More kids know who potter is than mickey mouse. Its as big as Star Wars and easily eclipses the Pixar films. They have another movie coming out this year with two more after that and the books are universally loved.

Even if they just threw together a modern wdw-level attraction that was bare bones and slapped the Potter label on it. Universal would still see a big attendance boost.

But this is an entire well themed land with a MAJOR e-ticket that will utilize a revolutionary new ride system to immerse guests in the same way that Star Tours, Indy, and Spider-Man did previously. There will also be plenty of themeing and guest interactivity which is going to drive the hardcore fans absoluetly banannas. The only variable is poor economic conditions right now but even so expect huge crowds beating down the doors to get in on launch day.

I'm not disagreeing and this is not directed at Conundrum (or Enigma, or whoever)...

But, I find it interesting that we assume that Universal will hit a homerun with their current projects and we assume that Disney will fail at their current projects.

Maybe everyone should become Universal fans and pass holders instead. I could go for lighter crowds at Disney when I'm there.

jt04

Sorry but I remember all the same spin about IOA. The Hulk was supposed to be the greatest coaster ever! DD was the most high tech coaster ever! Spidey was the most advanced darkride ever! JP was the highest drop ever! The hype went on and on.

I hope you are right about Potterland. But to say it is bigger than SW :shrug:

SW is moving into a third generation of fans. HP is having trouble holding onto it's original fanbase. What is "cool" to one generation rarely seems "cool" to the next. Star Wars has passed that test.

dave2822

But, I find it interesting that we assume that Universal will hit a homerun with their current projects and we assume that Disney will fail at their current projects.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

If anyone would bother to look they would notice that Uni's profits and attendance has fell dramatically this year (upwards of 30% they have announced, though I have heard it is even worse) ... The parks are closing past 9:00 pm all year only a handful of times (mostly closing at 6 or 7 pm all summer!)... sorry but they are much more in need to announce these "major" attractions than Disney ...

Of course, who is to say that Disney isn't cooking something up? :lookaroun I may wager that everyone will be pleased with Disney's next slew of offerings, though the announcements haven't been made official :)

jt04 said:
I hope you are right about Potterland. But to say it is bigger than SW

Right on. HP isn't even in the same stratosphere as SW ... and anyone who lived during the 70s could tell you that

71jason

Funny how that works, isn't it?

If anyone would bother to look they would notice that Uni's profits and attendance has fell dramatically this year (upwards of 30% they have announced, though I have heard it is even worse) ... The parks are closing past 9:00 pm all year only a handful of times (mostly closing at 6 or 7 pm all summer!)... sorry but they are much more in need to announce these "major" attractions than Disney ...

Since the mid-90s or so (let's say since around Twister), Uni has never built a failure of a ride. The day it opened, IOA truly was the best theme park in America--it just had a horrible marketing plan. Cautionary tale in business school bad.

However, since opening, managment allowed maintainence to go down hill (burned out bulbs, chipped paint, non-working ride F/X). Moreover, they added almost nothing new--they only closed old rides or occasionally replaced them. Uni's focus instead became other ways to separate guests from their money--pushing after-hours events (HHN), letting time-share vultures into the park, etc. The average guest could tell they were no longer getting their $65 a day worth. Hopefully, Uni learned thier lesson, and with the uberprotective JK Rowling keeping them honest, won't blow this second change at running a great theme park.

BTW, all the complaints I lobbed at Uni above also to apply to WDW since the late 90s. For what it's worth.

Right on. HP isn't even in the same stratosphere as SW ... and anyone who lived during the 70s could tell you that

Born in '71, and I'd say they're roughly comparable, Gen X to the Millenials. Both are classic "hero" stories with ridiculously involved mythologies and silly character names that captured their respective generations.

The biggest difference would the huge population of 20- and 30s-something man-children (and woman-children) Gen X and Gen Y seem to have spawned. Back in the 70s, people my current age were into Raging Bull or The Godfather, or at least even Love Story; now, it's Batman and Transformers. I'm probably the only one in my circle of friends who hasn't read the books. That's an added fan base SW didn't really have (yeah, there were always some adult geeks, but it was certainly less socially acceptable).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom