Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

EmperorMilenko

Neither SW or HP can come close to The Mouse.

That's fact. Unlike your hyperbole.

Mickey has been going strong since before the last depression. Let's see how Jar Jar looks in 20 years.

And SW isn't gaining/growing its fanbase like HP is now. And some of us who greatly loved SW are mature and even-keeled enough to admit the three films Lucas bestowed upon us in the past decade were (in order) unwatchable, bad and just OK.

HP will have staying power for the same reason any great franchise does. It will live on in its books and films for generations to come. ... And hopefully through a very kewl themed enviornment at IOA (and likely other Uni parks).

HP is bound to do amazing in the parks but its bound to die down. It's going to hit a point where they won't be able to modernize the area of IoA without completely changing the whole area. And believe me I know, SW isn't anywhere close to the Mouse. I don't even know why i typed that to be honest. Must be that 230 AM drowsiness kicking in.

jakeman

Yeah. Too bad that gravy train of broken dreams turned out to be all pixie dust and little substance. Oh well, shouldn't every great nation go through one depression every 70 years or so?
Interesting that your rants about the next depression are absent in your tirades against park hours. You would think that you would support efforts to conserve money and labor in a time of such economic hardship.

I will ... it takes guts and vision. I'm willing to take a chance on being wrong.

And I believe Disney is just that. They are playing things so conservatively and that's a great way to kill a creative enterprise. ... They need to invest, and despite what foaming fanbois believe timeshares and painting and rehabs and new marketing celebrations with balloons and new napkins do not equate with major investment.

I guess that's why I see no WDW ads on SoFla TV but keep seeing Busch touting Manta at SW and their new night entertainment at BGT.
You see what you want. Anything that doesn't fit into your vision of a failing WDW is either ignored or even more illogically, talked away as conspiracy.

jt04

Interesting that your rants about the next depression are absent in your tirades against park hours. You would think that you would support efforts to conserve money and labor in a time of such economic hardship.

You see what you want. Anything that doesn't fit into your vision of a failing WDW is either ignored or even more illogically, talked away as conspiracy.

I've noticed the exact same thing. But don't you know his motivations are entireley altruistic? He just wants a better Disney World.

Yeah right.:rolleyes:

:ROFLOL:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
But then you do both wear Disney approved shades and talk more excreta than even I do.

But I can feel the warmth of your Disney love from here.

jakeman

But then you do both wear Disney approved shades and talk more excreta than even I do.

But I can feel the warmth of your Disney love from here.
It's not about "Disney love" or anything like for me. It's about presenting the other side of the arguement.

I've never said Disney is perfect and that there is no room for improvement. I simply provided counterpoints to the overwhelming negativity that is around here sometimes.

I really could care less about TDO or Paul Pressler or any of the other enties and people folks like to bash around here, but when an argument, I feel, is flawed I am going to comment on it.

That's really all it is. If providing a counterpoint makes me an apologist then so be it. It may or may not mirror my true feelings. Reputation on a Disney board is pretty low on my concern list.

Pete C

Original Poster
I love how every time Harry Potter is discussed some people try to dismiss it as some fad or hype or some such thing. Let me clarify that Harry Potter is not in any way hype, nor is it a fad. The series' popularity was built on a great story and word of mouth initially. It was not some marketing hype machine forcing the books down kids throats, though it did become that later. Regardless, people will want to visit this new land for many many years to come, as will new fans for generations. The first HP book came out in 1998. It's now 2009. Do you think hype alone can sustain an 11-year run of unprecedented popularity? I also know many adults, including myself, who have read all the books. This series will be essential reading for any fantasy fan that comes along. Books aside, there are still three more movies to come (Deathly Hallows is going to be 2 movies), stretching HP's movie timetable through 2011. No, this thing is far from over.

Buried20KLeague

Objective opinions... interesting concept. It's not like there can be "proof" that Spiderman is a better attraction, or ToT for that matter. It's all opinion. If you gave me the option of going on Spiderman or PotC, I would easily pick PotC. I'd pick HM over Spiderman. It's just personal preference. It's ridiculous to be hassling him about that.

While Spiderman is a technically impressive attraction, for me it's just OK as an attraction. I have much more fun on Hulk or the Mummy (which apparently is a minority opinion). I don't get, and probably never will, all the gushing over Spiderman.

Again, I wasn't saying he was wrong. I was just asking for exactly what makes it better for him. I clearly said in my post that I wasn't trying to tell him he was wrong... But that I was curious as to exactly how he comes to that conclusion. If you read both of my posts, you'd have seen that.

And I didn't really get a response.

Makes me wonder if he didn't just take the opposing view for the sole purpose of going against the grain. Again. I know if someone would ask me my opinion that was sincerely interested, they'd get a honest response.

And hello from what I'm sure is a fellow Cards fan. :wave:

jt04

I love how every time Harry Potter is discussed some people try to dismiss it as some fad or hype or some such thing. Let me clarify that Harry Potter is not in any way hype, nor is it a fad. The series' popularity was built on a great story and word of mouth initially. It was not some marketing hype machine forcing the books down kids throats, though it did become that later. Regardless, people will want to visit this new land for many many years to come, as will new fans for generations. The first HP book came out in 1998. It's now 2009. Do you think hype alone can sustain an 11-year run of unprecedented popularity? I also know many adults, including myself, who have read all the books. This series will be essential reading for any fantasy fan that comes along. Books aside, there are still three more movies to come (Deathly Hallows is going to be 2 movies), stretching HP's movie timetable through 2011. No, this thing is far from over.

I see it's followers as more religious over Harry than as mere fans. It's far beyond hype. As for me, when it comes to the franchise, I guess I am an athiest. Although I am very excited for the new land because I love the technical sound of it and I am hoping it causes Disney to pull out all the stops on Mysterious Island or Carsland or something totally original.

jt04

Again, I wasn't saying he was wrong. I was just asking for exactly what makes it better for him. I clearly said in my post that I wasn't trying to tell him he was wrong... But that I was curious as to exactly how he comes to that conclusion. If you read both of my posts, you'd have seen that.

And I didn't really get a response.

Makes me wonder if he didn't just take the opposing view for the sole purpose of going against the grain. Again. I know if someone would ask me my opinion that was sincerely interested, they'd get a honest response.

And hello from what I'm sure is a fellow Cards fan. :wave:

I did answer and will try to be as plain as possible. When I ride the attraction I see all the "magic" behind the effects. That destroys the immersive feel for me. On a 1 to 10 scale I'd rate Spidey a 5 or 6 for immersion. I'd rate ToT a 9. I'd give it a 10 if you didn't see the tracks as you move towards the elevator shaft. Story narrative also gets a similar rating from me. There is not one category I can think of where I would rate Spidey over ToT. Not one.

tomman710

I'd take riding SGE over Spidey anyday!

This is still such a ridiculous debate. Universal brings some great things to the theme park table, being a former passholder I can definitely appreciate the technology behind the attractions but I can admit that repeat rides left me unfilled after the amazement in technology wore off ... What was left? Cheap queues, uninspired story telling, and lack of immersion. This doesn't make them not great they just lack that special thing other than technology.

In any event I've said it before and I'll say it again ... This is not a fair comparison. To use the illustration from earlier if Disney was running for President of the US then Universal would be running for a city council position, not a fair comparison, both running for political office but on entirely different levels.

Captain Chaos

I'll add one more thing... There is already the ready made fan base... The ones there from the beginning... And HP gains new fans every day, on top of the existing fans.. My friend being one of them... He bashed HP as nothing but hype, fad, and down right idiotic... Now, he cannot stop talking about how awesome the books were, and how is cannot wait for the next movie... I haven't read the books yet, but I have seen the movies, and I enjoyed them... Even I cannot wait for the next movie... I'm actually going to start reading the books too... SHOCKING!! LoL... SO, count me in as a new fan as well...

Harry Potter is not going away any time soon....

Captain Chaos

I did answer and will try to be as plain as possible. When I ride the attraction I see all the "magic" behind the effects. That destroys the immersive feel for me. On a 1 to 10 scale I'd rate Spidey a 5 or 6 for immersion. I'd rate ToT a 9. I'd give it a 10 if you didn't see the tracks as you move towards the elevator shaft. Story narrative also gets a similar rating from me. There is not one category I can think of where I would rate Spidey over ToT. Not one.

I'm sorry Jt, but, I have to disagree with you... ToT is a great ride... Don't get me wrong... I love it, and it is one of the few must do's every trip... However, even though I don't care for Universal or IOA, I have to say Spiderman is, by far, the best ride in Central Florida, minus the roller coasters... It hasn't been voted the best theme park attraction, for how many years running now, for nothing....

Pete C

Original Poster

What tracks? The car is guided by an underground wire. There was a special about this on TV how the there is no track and how they accomplished this.

As for the 5 or 6 immersion rating, what do you give Toy Story then, a 3? I don't see how Spidey gets a 5 for immersion when there is a whole room that makes you feel like you are rising to the top of a building, meanwhile you aren't even moving. If that isn't immersive I don't know what is.

jt04

What tracks? The car is guided by an underground wire. There was a special about this on TV how the there is no track and how they accomplished this.

As for the 5 or 6 immersion rating, what do you give Toy Story then, a 3? I don't see how Spidey gets a 5 for immersion when there is a whole room that makes you feel like you are rising to the top of a building, meanwhile you aren't even moving. If that isn't immersive I don't know what is.

Yes you "feel" like it unlike ToT where you actually do. I never been on TSM so I can't rate it yet. As for the tracks on ToT, maybe an insider will jump in. There is some kind of rail. Perhaps it's just a safety rail.:shrug:

Captain Chaos

Yes you "feel" like it unlike ToT where you actually do. I never been on TSM so I can't rate it yet. As for the tracks on ToT, maybe an insider will jump in. There is some kind of rail. Perhaps it's just a safety rail.:shrug:

I will take making you FEEL like you are going to the top of a building and falling off over actually being taken to the top and dropped any day.. The first one is harder to accomplish... Anyone can build a ride that has a lift take you up 100 or 180 feet.... Not eveyone creates rides that immerse you into a fake environment and make you feel like you are really there... Spiderman does just that... ToT, not so much...

jt04

I will take making you FEEL like you are going to the top of a building and falling off over actually being taken to the top and dropped any day.. The first one is harder to accomplish... Anyone can build a ride that has a lift take you up 100 or 180 feet.... Not eveyone creates rides that immerse you into a fake environment and make you feel like you are really there... Spiderman does just that... ToT, not so much...

That feature of the Spiderman attraction is definitely it's strength. But again, I'll take the ToT negative g's which spidey just can't duplicate.

Captain Chaos

That feature of the Spiderman attraction is definitely it's strength. But again, I'll take the ToT negative g's which spidey just can't duplicate.

You are also comparing two different style rides... ToT is not Spiderman and vice versa... ToT can be compared to Dr. Doom's Free Fall... Not Spiderman.. Spiderman is the best ride in Central Florida... So much so that Disney has not been able to top it, or even try to.. Im sorry... Universal wins out in that aspect... Now, ToT is 1000 times better than Dr. Dooms Free Fall.. Sure.... But Spiderman?? Nah, ToT is not better...

jt04

Well Lee's new info is very very interesting.

Could it be that instead of build a single "potter swatter" land in one of the Disney parks, Disney is opting to plus existing attractions at all the parks?

So instead of a Carsland at DHS or Mysterious Island at AK, maybe they intend to do things like revitalize Tommorowland and Future World and Fantasyland; enhance Pixar Place and CMM; declutter and prioritize aesthetics and backstory etc.

One things for sure, Disney is not taking a nap. :D

Captain Chaos

Well Lee's new info is very very interesting.

Could it be that instead of build a single "potter swatter" land in one of the Disney parks, Disney is opting to plus existing attractions at all the parks?

So instead of a Carsland at DHS or Mysterious Island at AK, maybe they intend to do things like revitalize Tommorowland and Future World and Fantasyland; enhance Pixar Place and CMM; declutter and prioritize aesthetics and backstory etc.

One things for sure, Disney is not taking a nap. :D

Well, since they couldn't even find a ride to compete or better the expierence of Spiderman, we have to assume they cannot come close to HP.. But, we have to see since HP hasn't opened yet...

jt04

Well, since they couldn't even find a ride to compete or better the expierence of Spiderman, we have to assume they cannot come close to HP.. But, we have to see since HP hasn't opened yet...

I gave ratings to the two attractions and gave a detailed explanation on why ToT is better. You just offer subjective opinions and polls. Although I do believe HP could legitamately trump anything Disney has (best ride, best land), I just hope all the hype does not lead to widespread disappointment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom