Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

Horizonsfan

I was at ioa yesterday and forbidden journey had a 180 minute wait at 9:15 am. The crowds are ridiculous and they need to be addressed. I know JK holds all the cards but something has got to give. Shops need to be expanded and the locker situation at forbidden journey needs to be fixed.

Having said all that, the three update screens on spiderman look good (though not as good as Star Tours) and due to the cOld weather The Hulk wasn't as disorienting.

If there's two things Uni needs to change from a operational point of view it would be the locker requirement and its policy on early entry.

The early entry at IOA being relegated to only WWoHP is what creates these 180 waits at 9:15. Doesn't exactly start things off great for non-Uni hotel guests. Plus it seems redundant for them to have early entry to HP when they already get FPs for every attraction in the parks. The locker thing is ridiculous in general, but especially for rides like MIB where there is plenty of room on the ride vehicles for pouches.

c-one

Little to do for now... Things usually start small then grow and grow and grow...

And yes, the world is using smartphones in enormous numbers but that doesn't mean I should have to have a smartphone in order to enjoy the parks...

I do not trust Disney management anymore... I used to be a defender, but not anymore... I'll grant that none of us know where they are going with the use of smartphones in their parks... As long as smartphone use is along the lines of Pal Mickey, something that doesn't take away from a your park experience if you choose not to use it, then fine.. But if that day comes where you have to have a smartphone in order to enjoy a ride or to enjoy the parks then... :fork:

Guess it is a wait and see approach on either side of this debate about smartphone usage...
The place of smartphones in parks probably needs a topic of its own... but I don't think coming up with innovative ways to utilize smartphones in the parks is a problem. The problem is that it's one of the only things that TDO is investing in. It should be a fun enhancement, not a focus or a replacement for new attractions -- not when Potter Pt. 2 is coming to town.

menamechris

The place of smartphones in parks probably needs a topic of its own... but I don't think coming up with innovative ways to utilize smartphones in the parks is a problem. The problem is that it's one of the only things that TDO is investing in. It should be a fun enhancement, not a focus or a replacement for new attractions -- not when Potter Pt. 2 is coming to town.

This. My other concern that with technology constantly changing and evolving - how long before many of these enhancements that have cost in the millions are outdated or obsolete? I mean seriously - Kim Possible looks dated now with the flip cell phones - and its only a few years old.

Scuttle

If there's two things Uni needs to change from a operational point of view it would be the locker requirement and its policy on early entry.

The early entry at IOA being relegated to only WWoHP is what creates these 180 waits at 9:15. Doesn't exactly start things off great for non-Uni hotel guests. Plus it seems redundant for them to have early entry to HP when they already get FPs for every attraction in the parks. The locker thing is ridiculous in general, but especially for rides like MIB where there is plenty of room on the ride vehicles for pouches.

Not true. Also the Express doesn't work for Forbidden Journey.

Captain Chaos

I don't have an issue, like I said, if the use of smartphones does not take away from any of the experience of the parks for those of us who, for the hours we spend in the park, can live without the phone glued to our hands... If the technology is used the same way Pal Mickey was, not a deterrent from enjoying the parks and didn't take anything away from those who chose not to purchase a Pal Mickey, then no big deal...

However, if the use of this technology is in place of or the focus of a new ride, then there is a problem... And honestly I no longer trust the Disney management...

disney fan 13

I don't have an issue, like I said, if the use of smartphones does not take away from any of the experience of the parks for those of us who, for the hours we spend in the park, can live without the phone glued to our hands... If the technology is used the same way Pal Mickey was, not a deterrent from enjoying the parks and didn't take anything away from those who chose not to purchase a Pal Mickey, then no big deal...

However, if the use of this technology is in place of or the focus of a new ride, then there is a problem... And honestly I no longer trust the Disney management...

who does?

Horizonsfan

Not true. Also the Express doesn't work for Forbidden Journey.

Hmmm, my mistake, could have sworn there was an express line when I was there. Still believe they shouldn't relegate early entry to a certain section. Once people have had their ride (and even a re-ride) on FJ, Uni should be encouraging them to move on to other attractions.

the unlimited express pass is one of the reason i will be staying onsite ( plus the hotels are nice )

While the use of express pass by the 3 hotels isn't really that big of issue, it does seem a little silly for there to be an express line for nearly all of the attractions.

disney fan 13

Hmmm, my mistake, could have sworn there was an express line when I was there. Still believe they shouldn't relegate early entry to a certain section. Once people have had their ride (and even a re-ride) on FJ, Uni should be encouraging them to move on to other attractions.

While the use of express pass by the 3 hotels isn't really that big of issue, it does seem a little silly for there to be an express line for nearly all of the attractions.

not really

Scuttle

I thought the same thing the first time I rode it. The line all the way to the left is a guest assistance line or whatever not the express.

HTF

Some of the projections have already been updated. The difference in picture quality in a few of the scenes is very noticeable.

Thats just the difference in projectors being used. The actual screens, HD content (film), and glasses will really raise the bar. The content at Spiderman is currently 720P quality film being displayed on 4K resolution projectors. Once everything is upgraded the new animations will be nothing short of amazing in quality.

It will also be the same with Despicable Me at USF. Same projectors, film quality, glasses, and screen.

Horizonsfan

not really

Huh?

notnothin said:

At a certain point they're just making it seem like you have priority when in actuality its unnecessary, like at Twister and Terminator. If they want to have an express lines that's fine, but 95% of the year its not going to get you to the actual experience any faster.

It's like when Disney does "surprise" FPs for COP, SGE, or Philharmagic. Though, at least with surprise FPs the main intention is to advertise an attraction; not to pretend like they're giving you a front-of-the-line pass.

I thought the same thing the first time I rode it. The line all the way to the left is a guest assistance line or whatever not the express.

Ohhh that makes sense. Didn't even notice how those needing assistance got on the ride.

Pioneer Hall

I rode Hulk in October and thought it was the worst experience I ever had on a coaster... Felt very rough... Came off with a headache...

I don't find Hulk to be a bad ride in terms of a coaster and if you can hold your head steady it doesn't beat you up all that much. It isn't nearly as rough as it's neighbor in the studios park.

Maybe Disney is looking at Once Upon A Time
The TV show is doing well and ABC is a Disney Company
This type of media would fit well in one of the parks
just maybe

Even though the show is doing well now, I highly doubt Disney is looking at anything attraction related. Attractions based on shows with eventual end dates just don't have longevity (as we saw with Millionaire and are seeing with Idol).

I think you really need to put things into perspective. What you say there isn't remotely the reality.

Disney are being current by working with the fastest growing media format there is right now. You cannot ignore what the world is using in enormous numbers.

There is very little at WDW involving smartphones or apps.

I have always agreed with you that Disney needs to up the tech. However, I do agree with the others that it shouldn't come at the expense of actual development in the parks themselves. Disney is investing a lot in to NextGen, but it does really seem that they don't care about adding to what made them famous in the first place. I think the tech is important, but it can't be their only focus when Universal is building the most popular attractions in FL.

Agree on all points. Sad to hear insiders like Lee and Spirit confirm that people inside P&R really have no love for the parks. Too bad they couldn't offload them to someone who cared while they just continued to own/operate the Hotels.

Cycles come and go, and hopefully WDW will soon find itself out of the creative recession. Not that long ago Disneyland was the forgotten child of the company and things really turned around there. Hopefully in the not too distant future there will be some turn around.

I think that early entry to just that area is a good idea. If they were opening the park entirely that would be a lot of extra cost in staffing for what doesn't amount to a ton of hotel guests. Plus, nearly everyone would be running to Potter anyway with most of the park sitting empty.

There is really no problem with express pass at each attraction since it is limited in numbers based on attendance. Plus, most users only get to use the pass once at each attraction.

WDW1974

Exactly. Thanks for this.

I know we've talked a lot about this lately, but TDO's priorities are so wildly misplaced it's mind-boggling. Do they honestly think that Next-Gen and X-Pass are worthy responses to Potter and Legoland and big happenings at SeaWorld? Are they that out-of-touch? Is it that they don't even care?

Can you handle the truth?

~Mmmm ... donuts ... YUMMMM!~

WDW1974

Something to keep in mind...
Disney's priorities have shifted. They are no longer trying to build great theme parks with hotels to serve them. They are now in the business, at least in Orlando, of building hotels and timeshares with theme parks on the side.

Other than Avatar, which is about ego as much as anything, they have no desire to counter Potter, and won't until the loss of guests reaches a certain level.

The people in charge don't have the love of the parks that we have. They don't place importance on having the best rides, beyond whatever measurable effect it has on the bottom line.

You sound so much like another Spirit I know :wave:

~Like So Many Things, WDW Hasn't Aged Well~

WDW1974

Sad. How people can become in charge without having a passion for their product, especially in a company like Disney, is just really, really sad.

Welcome to bastardized American capitalism of the 21st century.

The bottom line leaves no place for passion beyond the close of trading today and how the quarterly results will play on Wall Street. This is why Disney has looked into selling off all/part of its P&R division, despite fanbois sticking fingers in their ears and saying 'nyah-nyah ... I can't hear you, I can't hear you ... leave evil Spirit!':drevil:

Jay Rasulo can't stand the parks. Tom Staggs seems to enjoy them on some level (having kids helps), but he is still a bottom-line guy.

You can't create MAGIC on a spreadsheet ... or show how you produce it during a Power Point ... you invest in the best, most creative minds, artists, writers, engineers etc ... and you give them the resources to succed without levels of middle management meddling to justify their own positions (most that could be eliminated)

Say what you will about Eisner, but before(and even during) he went off the deep end, the man was invested.

He never went off the deep end. Lots of things contributed to his last years (largely a disaster) at Disney being as ugly as they were. But he cared. Passionately. And I did know the man (well, I still think he'd recognize the Spirit) on a personal level.

Bob Iger is simply a manager. And one already looking to move onto a slimier stage (politics!:hurl:)

The only legacy he is concerned with is his personal one. And Disney's stock price isn't languishing because Wall Street doesn't care what you have to do to make the bottom line look good. Waterboarding and any form of torture is perfectly acceptable when dealing with numbers.:eek:

~24~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom