Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

MKCP 1985

Something to keep in mind...
Disney's priorities have shifted. They are no longer trying to build great theme parks with hotels to serve them. They are now in the business, at least in Orlando, of building hotels and timeshares with theme parks on the side.

Funny because as far as hotels go, Disney's are way behind others in the area. We've talked about this several times - how at such "Deluxe" resorts as the Polynesian you can't walk to your room when it rains without getting wet, and how at other resorts you don't get the amenities we take for granted at Marriott and Hilton properties.

Hmm . . . maybe I should sell my 401K and create a business venture that caters to people visiting all the parks in the way Disney does for people only visiting Disney.

Oh yeah, there are already a few places doing that right under the mouse's nose. Gaylord Palms, Grand Cypress, etc.

lebeau

Other than Avatar, which is about ego as much as anything, they have no desire to counter Potter, and won't until the loss of guests reaches a certain level.

Which is why everyone - especially Disney fans - should be rooting for Universal to be wildly successful.

Captain Chaos

i don't know about you but everyone i know has no interest seeing the second ( and trust me when the expansion was announced i asked everyone...) movie. i mean if it doesn't then happy days AK gets it expansion

P.S do you know how much more a 3D movie like avatar costs at the movies. move it down to regular movie prices and see how much it makes...

You know a very tiny portion of movie goers, probably not even 0.00000001% so to say movies will be bombs because you know people who aren't interested really isn't a full consensus of the general public... Do I think Avatar 2 will make the same business or even as close to the same business as the first?? No way, I am not that crazy... But I cannot say a movie will bomb before it is even filmed...

Captain Chaos

Exactly. Thanks for this.

I know we've talked a lot about this lately, but TDO's priorities are so wildly misplaced it's mind-boggling. Do they honestly think that Next-Gen and X-Pass are worthy responses to Potter and Legoland and big happenings at SeaWorld? Are they that out-of-touch? Is it that they don't even care?

TDO's priority is making a meet and greet on an aligator from an app game... But then again, why should this shock anyone??? All TDO and Disney in general seems to be about today is apps and smartphones and making sure you can only experience the parks by using these devices.. PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

Captain Chaos

Sad. How people can become in charge without having a passion for their product, especially in a company like Disney, is just really, really sad.

Say what you will about Eisner, but before(and even during) he went off the deep end, the man was invested.

What is even sadder is how the social media zombies, pixie dust brigade and cheerleaders can even bring themselves to DEFEND TDO....

devoy1701

Agree on all points. Sad to hear insiders like Lee and Spirit confirm that people inside P&R really have no love for the parks. Too bad they couldn't offload them to someone who cared while they just continued to own/operate the Hotels.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
TDO's priority is making a meet and greet on an aligator from an app game... But then again, why should this shock anyone??? All TDO and Disney in general seems to be about today is apps and smartphones and making sure you can only experience the parks by using these devices.. PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

I think you really need to put things into perspective. What you say there isn't remotely the reality.

Disney are being current by working with the fastest growing media format there is right now. You cannot ignore what the world is using in enormous numbers.

There is very little at WDW involving smartphones or apps.

disney fan 13

You know a very tiny portion of movie goers, probably not even 0.00000001% so to say movies will be bombs because you know people who aren't interested really isn't a full consensus of the general public... Do I think Avatar 2 will make the same business or even as close to the same business as the first?? No way, I am not that crazy... But I cannot say a movie will bomb before it is even filmed...

sort of was trying to make a point but yes it is not the general public consensus

to be honest the game is fun but i do not believe outside of special events swampy should have a regular M&G. ( also as for whole disney... i did not read that disneyland getting swampy...)

Agree on all points. Sad to hear insiders like Lee and Spirit confirm that people inside P&R really have no love for the parks. Too bad they couldn't offload them to someone who cared while they just continued to own/operate the Hotels.

as for the parks.... yeah i am also at the point where they just should sell it to someone who would care for then like tokyo disneyland

Atomicmickey

Something to keep in mind...
Disney's priorities have shifted. They are no longer trying to build great theme parks with hotels to serve them. They are now in the business, at least in Orlando, of building hotels and timeshares with theme parks on the side.

Other than Avatar, which is about ego as much as anything, they have no desire to counter Potter, and won't until the loss of guests reaches a certain level.

The people in charge don't have the love of the parks that we have. They don't place importance on having the best rides, beyond whatever measurable effect it has on the bottom line.

This makes me sad, because it is how it seems to an outside observer, and because generally Lee knows what he's talking about.

I'm sad.

Is there any hope?

TarzanRocked99-

of course there is hope, things are not beyond repair. The issue is that those running Orlando do not care and its off the radar for the folks out in Burbank. If attendance was to take a significant hit and/or there was a loud enough public outcry of the lack of quality in Orlando it would force Burbank to make the changes needed on how TDO is run. As of right now there is no Al Lutz/ LA Times combo willing to call WDW out in Orlando and attendance has flatlined but not dropped so I would expect things to continue down this path for the forseeable future.

disney fan 13

of course there is hope, things are not beyond repair. The issue is that those running Orlando do not care and its off the radar for the folks out in Burbank. If attendance was to take a significant hit and/or there was a loud enough public outcry of the lack of quality in Orlando it would force Burbank to make the changes needed on how TDO is run. As of right now there is no Al Lutz/ LA Times combo willing to call WDW out in Orlando and attendance has flatlined but not dropped so I would expect things to continue down this path for the forseeable future.

who wants to put down bets

i say 10-20 years

winner gets universal tickets:xmas:

devoy1701

well we have a website and facebook page...but the fan community doesn't care enough either it seems. Sometimes I think it's silly that we all spend so much time and energy worrying about a company like Disney, but hey, we all have to have our vices.

I will say that the tides seem to be shifting on places like wdwmagic where more and more regular members aren't afraid to say that WDW isn't what it used to be...but we're a far cry from makin any impact. I checked the Fbook page and we have 72 likes? And no locals were on board to help keep regular updates on our website. :dazzle:

disney fan 13

well we have a website and facebook page...but the fan community doesn't care enough either it seems. Sometimes I think it's silly that we all spend so much time and energy worrying about a company like Disney, but hey, we all have to have our vices.

I will say that the tides seem to be shifting on places like wdwmagic where more and more regular members aren't afraid to say that WDW isn't what it used to be...but we're a far cry from makin any impact. I checked the Fbook page and we have 72 likes? And no locals were on board to help keep regular updates on our website. :dazzle:

I joined the site....

i just didn't post since no one was posting....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom