Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

disney fan 13

Welcome to bastardized American capitalism of the 21st century.

The bottom line leaves no place for passion beyond the close of trading today and how the quarterly results will play on Wall Street. This is why Disney has looked into selling off all/part of its P&R division, despite fanbois sticking fingers in their ears and saying 'nyah-nyah ... I can't hear you, I can't hear you ... leave evil Spirit!':drevil:

Jay Rasulo can't stand the parks. Tom Staggs seems to enjoy them on some level (having kids helps), but he is still a bottom-line guy.

You can't create MAGIC on a spreadsheet ... or show how you produce it during a Power Point ... you invest in the best, most creative minds, artists, writers, engineers etc ... and you give them the resources to succed without levels of middle management meddling to justify their own positions (most that could be eliminated)

He never went off the deep end. Lots of things contributed to his last years (largely a disaster) at Disney being as ugly as they were. But he cared. Passionately. And I did know the man (well, I still think he'd recognize the Spirit) on a personal level.

Bob Iger is simply a manager. And one already looking to move onto a slimier stage (politics!:hurl:)

The only legacy he is concerned with is his personal one. And Disney's stock price isn't languishing because Wall Street doesn't care what you have to do to make the bottom line look good. Waterboarding and any form of torture is perfectly acceptable when dealing with numbers.:eek:

~24~

I would think if it was like how Tokyo Disneyland with the OLC works then i would welcome it with open arms...

JT3000

Some of the projections have already been updated. The difference in picture quality in a few of the scenes is very noticeable.

I've ridden Spider-Man recently and didn't notice. They may have upgraded the projectors at some point recently, but as long as the old film is running, it isn't going to make much of a difference. That's why it needed to be completely reanimated.

WDW1974

Funny because as far as hotels go, Disney's are way behind others in the area. We've talked about this several times - how at such "Deluxe" resorts as the Polynesian you can't walk to your room when it rains without getting wet, and how at other resorts you don't get the amenities we take for granted at Marriott and Hilton properties.

Hmm . . . maybe I should sell my 401K and create a business venture that caters to people visiting all the parks in the way Disney does for people only visiting Disney.

Oh yeah, there are already a few places doing that right under the mouse's nose. Gaylord Palms, Grand Cypress, etc.

Ah. But they don't have the MAGIC of Disney Resorts, that usually means poorly maintained rooms, pools that have multiple daily brown-outs:hurl::eek::hurl:, cheap towels, CMs that are capable of telling you to 'Have a MAGICal Day' 76 times in an hour and giving your child a sticker or pin, but not as able to deal with real issues, no 24 hour room service, no turndown service etc.

Disney deluxe resorts love touting their AAA four diamond status, but the reality is they generally offer a 2-star (or at times 3) guest service. But their core audience is either blinded by pixie dust or not the types that travel much. When you don't spend much time in hotels, let alone true high end resorts, it's easy to see why you might think the Beach Club is all that. But it isn't.

BUT ... they do attract folks who wouldn't fit in elsewhere, folks who somehow can afford $200 ... $300 ... $600 a night for a standard hotel room (with a nice view and theme to be sure).

You couldn't stay at say the Ritz Carlton in O-Town and feel comfortable placing your dirty shoes on a lobby table ... or changing your child's poopy diaper on a sofa (or food serving tray) ... or picnicking in the lobby with burger baskets because well, those are tacky, trashy things to do. But you can see this stuff daily at WDW deluxe resorts because the clientele lack a sophistication that is only matched by management, which also has been told to pretty much allow anything (I can't tell you how proud I was recently when I watched a GF manager type discreetly direct a family, who was dining in the lobby with Gasparilla's baskets, to tables outdoors).

~Is it the guests or management?~

WDW1974

What is even sadder is how the social media zombies, pixie dust brigade and cheerleaders can even bring themselves to DEFEND TDO....

WOW ... you are sounding so much like another Spirit I know ... his wife calls him 'Lee' (followed by a barrage of words I can't repeat here):ROFLOL:

~How Does DLP in the Spring Sound?~

WDW1974

This makes me sad, because it is how it seems to an outside observer, and because generally Lee knows what he's talking about.

You shouldn't tell him this or we won't be able to fit his head inside a door soon. :wave:

Many people get sad this time of year. It's likely the post holiday blues.:xmas:

Is there any hope?

No matter the subject, my answer to this is usually 'no, none at all!':hammer:

~Anyone remember when you got chocolates with your check at WDW fine dining locales?~

WDW1974

Yup pretty much sums it up doesnt it...

I wonder if Meg was assaulted with 1000's of letters similar to this one that there would be a change?

Shame ultimately is a VERY powerful force when dealing with an organization that so values its image like WDW Co.

It's channeling that into something that goes beyond a fan site that can bring about positive change. DL was literally falling apart a decade ago. You'd never know that now. And the fan community was a huge factor in righting things.

It's trickier now with the social media whores who like to pass themselves off as one of us and spout the 'WDW has never been better' line of BS. I don't know about you guys/gals, but I have NOTHING in common with people like them.

Duncan Wardle, Disney's Social Media guru, can be seen on YouTube touting how 'negative' posts (and this would likely count) don't matter because for every negative one, Disney gets 18 positive ones.

I have no idea how true it is or what metrics he bases that on. I certainly don't see that here on MAGIC (maybe in 2008 or even 2010, but not now). But fans have to be loud and passionate about things that are wrong and push that here (and elsewhere). You do enough of that and you'll get some mainstream attention ... in the REAL media.

And then ... well, then SHAME starts to enter the picture and SHAME is a powerful force.

Much more powerful than thousands of fans blathering on about how special a 24-hour day at MK is (it isn't, but people are entitled to their opinions).

~TDO -- Tsk ... tsk ... shame ... shame ... shame ...:wave:~

disney fan 13

Shame ultimately is a VERY powerful force when dealing with an organization that so values its image like WDW Co.

It's channeling that into something that goes beyond a fan site that can bring about positive change. DL was literally falling apart a decade ago. You'd never know that now. And the fan community was a huge factor in righting things.

It's trickier now with the social media whores who are pass themselves off as one of us and spout the 'WDW has never been better' line of BS. I don't know about you guys/gals, but I have NOTHING in common with people like them.

Duncan Wardle, Disney's Social Media guru, can be seen on YouTube touting how 'negative' posts (and this would likely count) don't matter because for every negative one, Disney gets 18 positive ones.

I have no idea how true it is or what metrics he bases that on. I certainly don't see that here on MAGIC (maybe in 2008 or even 2010, but not now). But fans have to be loud and passionate about things that are wrong and push that here (and elsewhere). You do enough of that and you'll get some mainstream attention ... in the REAL media.

And then ... well, then SHAME starts to enter the picture and SHAME is a powerful force.

Much more powerful than thousands of fans blathering on about how special a 24-hour day at MK is (it isn't, but people are entitled to their opinions).

~TDO -- Tsk ... tsk ... shame ... shame ... shame ...:wave:~

But what media outlet (not the OS) reads reads the fan boards?

WDW1974

I have always agreed with you that Disney needs to up the tech. However, I do agree with the others that it shouldn't come at the expense of actual development in the parks themselves. Disney is investing a lot in to NextGen, but it does really seem that they don't care about adding to what made them famous in the first place. I think the tech is important, but it can't be their only focus when Universal is building the most popular attractions in FL.

THIS!!!

And, SW has greatly upped its game. I am very anxious to see what this new Antarctica area (and dark ride) is like. You even have Legoland, which I am interested in seeing (more because Cypress Gardens was a childhood favorite and I haven't been there in decades) that is clearly going after the 'families with young children' demo that Disney owns.

What is WDW offering guests this year?

What have they offered since 2008 (picking that since it the year I first joined MAGIC and spent real time here)?

For a company that used to trot out that Waltism about 'never resting on our laurels' that's ALL they do now ... that and add timeshares and come up with new ways to take every penny you have.

And they are run so poorly in so many departments ... Marketing makes the decision to keep DL and MK open 24 hours because they need a publicity stunt to bridge the gap before DCA 2.0 debuts and the Fantasyland reclamation project at MK is done and they don't even consult with the execs in charge of those parks about ops concerns? Then they decide to announce it on their NYE show at 11 p.m. and don't realize that most affiliates were going to go to local news?

These are six and seven figure execs who are making amateur hour mistakes. Things that wouldn't happen if we picked six random MAGIC members and put them in charge.

The arrogance, stupidity and neglect of WDW is going to come home to roost ... it already has started ... just like Potter 2.0 construction! :)

~Don't ask why or how ... it will keep you up all night.~

menamechris

It isn't about outlets.

It's about individuals.

And many people (both inside Disney and out) ... powerful Spirits ... they read and, in some cases, act and react.

Wow, thats cool. Would be nice to see any sort of action or reaction at this stage in the game... I'm not holding my breath though.

disney fan 13

Wow, thats cool. Would be nice to see any sort of action or reaction at this stage in the game... I'm not holding my breath though.

well let's get some threads started and see how it goes...

I mean if we are all going to spend our time on a disney board might as well try to start something...

devoy1701

well let's get some threads started and see how it goes...

I mean if we are all going to spend our time on a disney board might as well try to start something...

We have the old one. We could bring it back, but it's only going to do any good if everyone on here keeps it active. I think it would actually be beneficial to bring back the old one because we will have old and new issues all in one place...and it has quite a bit of information on some of the things we were trying to get going.

by the way. We went from 72 to 75 "likes" on FB last night. Maybe you guys actually are serious about doing something this time around...

drew81

It isn't about outlets.

It's about individuals.

And many people (both inside Disney and out) ... powerful Spirits ... they read and, in some cases, act and react.

Really? That is interesting. I would love to know who reads these boards. Especially those that work in TDO.

GLaDOS

This is why Disney has looked into selling off all/part of its P&R division, despite fanbois sticking fingers in their ears and saying 'nyah-nyah ... I can't hear you, I can't hear you ... leave evil Spirit!':drevil:

After hearing all this from you and Lee, I think I'd prefer them sell the parks to someone who cared about them.

He never went off the deep end. Lots of things contributed to his last years (largely a disaster) at Disney being as ugly as they were. But he cared. Passionately.

I agree, and that's why I'm probably one of the few Disney fans out there praying for a CEO like him once Iger steps down. But I'm guessing we'll just get Staggs.

Bob Iger is simply a manager. And one already looking to move onto a slimier stage (politics!:hurl:)

The only legacy he is concerned with is his personal one. And Disney's stock price isn't languishing because Wall Street doesn't care what you have to do to make the bottom line look good. Waterboarding and any form of torture is perfectly acceptable when dealing with numbers.:eek:

~24~

That's the sense I get from him. Iger just never really seems interested in the product.

Horizonsfan

I agree, and that's why I'm probably one of the few Disney fans out there praying for a CEO like him once Iger steps down. But I'm guessing we'll just get Staggs.

Is it even in the realm of possibility that Eisner would re-enter the picture at WDC (ala Steve Jobs)? Or did he burn just too many bridges?

devoy1701

Is it even in the realm of possibility that Eisner would re-enter the picture at WDC (ala Steve Jobs)? Or did he burn just too many bridges?

I think he would be too ashamed and his "ego" wouldn't let him go back to a job he held before. He literally had his empire swiped out from under his feet by the largest shareholder vote of no confidence in business history. And he was operating with the help of one of the most corrupt (as in blindly supporting the CEO) and non-independent Board of Directors of the time AND he had the unanamous support of Disney's largest shareholders (Sid Bass and Roy). When Roy stopped supporting Eisner and Bass had to sell his stake in the company, Eisner didn't have much left. Eisner basically worked for Bass and himself.

Although, I wouldn't mind seeing him back, as long as they only gave him a CEO/Chief Creative Officer role and hired a President and Chairman that was not buddy buddy with Eisner...perhaps they should tap Spirit for the position. :animwink:

Ignohippo

Original Poster

No chance. He didn't just burn the bridge, he carpet-bombed the city.

I don't think there's anyone within the Disney Company who'd like to see him back. They've been much more successful since he left.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom