Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney

slappy magoo

All it does is point out that, just because you're on vacation at WDW doesn't mean good sense takes a holiday as well. People are pickpocketed at WDW all the time, personal items are often picked up by inattentive or exhausted visitors. And this is to say nothing of what happens sometimes in DTD, or Boardwalk or World Showcase when/if people get it in their heads to start binge drinking.

But in DTD where parking is free and you only have to pay if you go into one of the nightclubs, the threat is a little more prevalent. It doesn't mean you're taking your life in your hands if you go, it's certainly no less safe than going to a club in a major urban area, where there's probably NO security between the front gates and wherever you park your car...

I might have a slightly different perspective than some of you. I work in NYC, and live in the Jersey Shore. Theoretically this means I'm a complete and total a$$h01e, :D but really, I think I'm usually nice to people, even complete strangers. I just know how to be nice and walk fast at the same time. Let's face it, even if someone is legitimately asking you a question in the DTD or hotel parking lot, they're hoping you know where you're going, and they don't have to know that you know or don't know anything. So go to DTD, have fun, and if someone asks you a question from a car, just say "Sorry, typical Disney tourist, I only know where I'm going by following signs, but if I find a security guard on my way, I'll have 'em come your way!" If they're up to no good, they'll probably split at that point anyway.

bayoutinkbelle

Where exactly do you see that?

Admittedly, that's my assumption based on that updated story alone. If it turns out differently, then I'll stand corrected. Right now, I'll go with the benefit of the doubt since even a "drug addict" well known to local PD can be a crime victim, too.

That TV story makes me wonder. Why would a Connecticut cop call a television station and make the accusation? Kinda out of line and unprofessional, I think. Hopefully, he also called Orlando PD.

PigletIsMyCat

I hate to say it, but the drug deal gone bad idea has a certain ring to it.

If the victim is currently or very recently known to his local PD as a drug user, he must be either a dealer or a HARDCORE user. Many drug users use drugs for years and years and years and never have a run in with police. Since it would be unwise to travel with illicit drugs on your person, it would follow that he would need to score while in Orlando.

The storyline that the victims gave as an abduction/mugging actually parallels drug deals gone bad very closely. Most drug deals are not done leaning over into someone's driver side window, but by getting into the car as if you're taking a ride with a friend. Then, said ride occurs. To shake off the suspicions of passerby or authorities, it is common for a buyer to take a half hour or longer ride with a dealer, usually stopping at a shop or someplace ('I was giving him a ride to the gas station for smokes') before the dealer drops the buyer back off. The buyer in this case might ask the dealer to even stop at an ATM to pick up the money, so that they would not be caught on the way to the deal with a large sum of money about their person.

It is also common for dealers to take advantage of buyers that they are not familiar with. Dealers see taking on new clientele without references as a huge risk, and occasionally decide to make the risk worth their while by robbing the new buyer of whatever they have. Dealers know that buyers will not report a robbery to police ('Hey, while I was buying drugs from this guy, he beat and robbed me!') and do not anticipate retaliation. Conversely, buyers buying for the first time will sometimes take their dealer for all they're worth by making the buy, then somehow overpowering the dealer (with sheer manpower or weapons) and take their money back, whatever other money the dealer has, as well as his stash of deliveries.

As soon as we heard the victim is a known drug user to his local police, DH and I both figured that it was a deal gone bad. It is possible that they are just victims, but too many things make too little sense that it was a random abduction. And too many things make PERFECT sense that it was a deal gone wrong.

Champion

Admittedly, that's my assumption based on that updated story alone. If it turns out differently, then I'll stand corrected. Right now, I'll go with the benefit of the doubt since even a "drug addict" well known to local PD can be a crime victim, too.

That TV story makes me wonder. Why would a Connecticut cop call a television station and make the accusation? Kinda out of line and unprofessional, I think. Hopefully, he also called Orlando PD.

An officer calling another department to give background on a victim or a suspect is a very common practice for stories that get national or local press.

Now, the two of them WERE victims. Regardless of why they actually approached the car, they were still victims of a crime and got pistol whipped and beat up, etc. However, they weren't put into the position without doing anything wrong. Their choice put them in that position.

One of the original stories even had a OCSD officer saying (not a direct quote) 'tourists are not being targeted' Which is saying 'something else is going on here'.

PigletIsMyCat

Now, the two of them WERE victims. Regardless of why they actually approached the car, they were still victims of a crime and got pistol whipped and beat up, etc. However, they weren't put into the position without doing anything wrong. Their choice put them in that position.

I'm not sure that I agree with them being victims in certain circumstances. If they got into the car with the intent of purchasing or selling illegal drugs, and were beat and pistol whipped by illegal drug sellers or buyers, they were victims of their own choices to sell or purchase illegal drugs. When you enter into the world of drug sale and usage, you are choosing to deal with unscrupulous characters. IF this is in fact the case, that it is a drug deal gone bad, I would not feel that the two people from CT are 'victims' of a robbery or an assault.

Dagger

I can't say that I've ever felt un-safe there, but I'll defintely be more cautious next time I visit...

I have to agree. My DH and I took our DD in December... we went to Raglan Road too and had a blast. We were there from about 9-11:30PM that particular night. We went several nights on our trip and in the daytime. At night there were more young people, but still a lot of families.

Hopefully they raise security, and my thoughts are with that family.

Dagger

I'm not sure that I agree with them being victims in certain circumstances. If they got into the car with the intent of purchasing or selling illegal drugs, and were beat and pistol whipped by illegal drug sellers or buyers, they were victims of their own choices to sell or purchase illegal drugs. When you enter into the world of drug sale and usage, you are choosing to deal with unscrupulous characters. IF this is in fact the case, that it is a drug deal gone bad, I would not feel that the two people from CT are 'victims' of a robbery or an assault.

I totally agree with this in that sense that as far as WE know, this wasn't a drug deal so we can't say, "Well hey, they shouldn't have approached the car... their stupid choice."

That's like victim 101... is the girl who got raped at fault for being out past dark? Come on now. :wave:

PigletIsMyCat

I totally agree with this in that sense that as far as WE know, this wasn't a drug deal so we can't say, "Well hey, they shouldn't have approached the car... their stupid choice."

That's like victim 101... is the girl who got raped at fault for being out past dark? Come on now. :wave:

I'm not sure you understood what I was attempting to convey. I don't mean that anyone stupid enough to approach a car deserves to be abducted and robbed. I mean that some evidence shows that they might have approached the car as part of an intended drug deal. If that is the case, they are not as much victims of an abduction/robbery as they are slaves to their addiction. People who are breaking the law are not victims of other law breakers. That's like house robbers who sue the owner of the house when they trip and break their leg on a skateboard the homeowner's kid left near the stairs.

FaerieLuna

I'm not sure you understood what I was attempting to convey. I don't mean that anyone stupid enough to approach a car deserves to be abducted and robbed. I mean that some evidence shows that they might have approached the car as part of an intended drug deal. If that is the case, they are not as much victims of an abduction/robbery as they are slaves to their addiction. People who are breaking the law are not victims of other law breakers. That's like house robbers who sue the owner of the house when they trip and break their leg on a skateboard the homeowner's kid left near the stairs.

Well said my friend

Mikester71

I've been trying to emigrate to your absolutely lovely, but slightly colder, and much hipper country for about 3 years now :)

:ROFLOL:I don't know about the hipper part, but the biggest misconception about our country is that it always snows up here and that it is a lot colder than the U.S. For a lot of us Canadians, this is just not true. Where I am from, 1 hour north of Detroit, it was in the high 90's the past couple of weeks (actually hotter than Florida). Albeit, we are pretty close to being the most southern point of Canada.

Sorry about the rant (not directed towards you by any means), it just cracks me up when you hear Leno or someone from the southern U.S. talk about Canada and they actually believe we live in igloos and get snow all year round. :ROFLOL:And I know you did say "slightly colder" in your defense.

Don't give up trying to get up here either. We are a beautiful country and it is definitely worth the wait to get up here. And one of the biggest perks about being Canadian is that we have wonderful neighbours to the south whom allow us to vacation and take in their hospitality whenever we want. I would be proud to call you a fellow Canuck some day too. :wave:

bgraham34

At night I usually just goto Downtown Disney and do some shopping. Its rare i hit the clubs but this is just a sad thing to occur. I think its time to start charging to park and maybe you can get the money back if you purchase something at the shops or have dinner.

bayoutinkbelle

An officer calling another department to give background on a victim or a suspect is a very common practice for stories that get national or local press.

One of the original stories even had a OCSD officer saying (not a direct quote) 'tourists are not being targeted' Which is saying 'something else is going on here'.

I know that officers from different departments will communicate in these instances. What I was questioning is why the officer would call the media and voice his suspicions.

ag2000

Thats horrible. I found it sad at the end of the article it says the suspects fled with the items they bought that night. Terrible. this makes me really want to buy a gun.

WhyteAL

Thats horrible. I found it sad at the end of the article it says the suspects fled with the items they bought that night. Terrible. this makes me really want to buy a gun.

If you buy a gun you will also need to learn how to use it or you will end up hurting yourself or worst yet someone your with. Then you will also need to have had the gun on your person which in the state of florida it is illeagel to carry a loaded fire arm onto private property in public places (i.e. shopping mall). Now if you do end up deciding to keep with your gun then will need to have the proper equipment to carry your weapon in a comfortable manner so you most likely would not want to carry a .45, .50, or a beretta 9mm (which are difficult to conceal unless you wear "heavy" cloths) which would be your firearms of choice for accurace and dependibility...you will also need to practice shouting at a range or field so that when you aim at a person you actually manage to hit them and not the inoccent bystandered standing a couple feet behind them...just a heads up...I have a better idea just be aware of your surroundings I think that would be much more helpful. :wave:

egionet

I grew up and currently live in North Branford, CT and work at the high school that they attended (which is not the high school I went to). The sister of DellaCamera, currently attend the high school, and I know her very well. But currently in the CT front, they aren't sure if they story is true or not. I don't know why, but that's the new deal.

Also, while I'm certainly not blaming it on the two victims, this section of CT is extremely white suburbia. Until I went away for college, I had no clue of the real world. People in North Branford live in a bubble. We tend not to think anything bad can happen to us nor do we know about it. If it doesn't happen in NB, then it doesn't happen anywhere. Not to sound racist, because I don't think I am, but when I go to the gas station in my town and see an African American getting gas, I automatically assume they don't live in my town. There were literally 3 black people in my high school of about 600 students.

I think this could give you an idea of where these people were coming from. And as I said before I certainly don't think any of the abduction was there fault, but extreme naivity (is that spelled right, probably not) may have played a part in it. I do hope they found out who did this because it's awful.

WhyteAL

Also, while I'm certainly not blaming it on the two victims, this section of CT is extremely white suburbia. Until I went away for college, I had no clue of the real world. People in North Branford live in a bubble. We tend not to think anything bad can happen to us nor do we know about it. If it doesn't happen in NB, then it doesn't happen anywhere. Not to sound racist, because I don't think I am, but when I go to the gas station in my town and see an African American getting gas, I automatically assume they don't live in my town. There were literally 3 black people in my high school of about 600 students.

I think this could give you an idea of where these people were coming from. And as I said before I certainly don't think any of the abduction was there fault, but extreme naivity (is that spelled right, probably not) may have played a part in it. I do hope they found out who did this because it's awful.

That is not racist at all...and this is (IMO) very common and understandable. As long as you don't prejudge or segregate people outside of your community based on predetermined sterotypes or fears then your not being racist. And what you would be suffering most from in IMO is more like a type of culture shock due to the naivity (probably not spelled right either) of your situation. I don't see anything wrong with that. But I get the point of what your sayin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom