Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney

AEfx

There must be ATM video. Every ATM machine has a camera; I have been thinking about that since I first saw the story.

The local media in Orlando was giving this extreme coverage when I was there earlier in the week - has this changed?

AEfx

disneypearl

I think it is interesting they aren't willing to cooperate with police.:brick: :brick: :brick:

I agree. This whole story is just very strange. Why would they not help the police out and want justice? I think that they were up to no good themselves and may or may not have run into trouble with others with an agenda too (drug dealers?). Who knows, but I hope the authorities find the truth.

miles1

It was reported up here on the news, and I heard it from the same place I heard the original part of the story.

I'm waiting for one of the local stations to post it so I can give a link.

The video just showed up on the Conn. NBC affiliate's 11:00 news. I don't know if they'll post it on their website: www.nbc30.com.

Mikester71

I will have to agree to disagree. Guns do not lead to violence per se; there have been those who prey upon others since the beginning of time.

And I couldn't agree more. Guns don't ALWAYS lead to violence. And, yes, there was crime and theft and that before the gun was even invented.

When their numbers increase to the point that the average citizen feels at risk, then the law abiding citizen gets a gun, and legal gun ownership increases. The bad guys always had them, not the other way around. The increase in LEGAL gun ownership in some areas is a response, not a cause.

I just don't see why some people feel that they have to have a gun to feel safe. There are other measures that can be taken. I have never owned a gun and I feel safe. Like I stated, growing up where I did here in Canada, I never knew of anyone who owned a gun. And yes we have crime and people get robbed and that all the time. It is just harder for Canadians to get guns, so we have less gun-related crimes and deaths. It is a problem with society in general really. Like your point about a response. It would be like saying if Russia has more tanks or better missiles, we should go out and get EVEN more than them, JUST IN CASE. It is a sad way to live, always waiting to respond. And I do not mean that as an insult to Americans or you in general (like I also stated, my wife is American and her family and friends are some of the nicest people I know). But that was one of the things her and her family noticed when she first moved over here 16 years ago. How our society isn't obsessed with guns as much as the U.S.

A friend's son was stabbed to death with a kitchen knife after a disagreement in a movie theater. Another acquaintance's daughter was also stabbed to death in her doorway. I still have knives in my home. IMO, (and only after watching humans for 5 decades) guns just make committing crimes easier for some , they don't cause people to be criminals in the first place.

Yeah, because knives have another purpose which isn't violent. Just like I own a car, even though people have been mowed down by them. Even if there were no such things as guns, people would still have ways of killing and hurting other people. Yes, but don't let the fact fool you. Guns only have one purpose; plain and simple, to kill or destroy. Even if you made the argument for guns being for hunting or skeet shooting or something like that, point is, they are still destroying something that can never be fixed.

I also don't think everyone who owns a gun is a criminal or bad person (ie. hunters). I was just stating my own personal opinion on guns. I just meant that if you looked through history at all the deaths that were caused at the hand of a gun (wars, crimes, suicides, accidental), they could have been prevented if the gun was never invented. I know it has probably saved a few lives too. But my point was that guns DO make it easier to walk into a high school or place of work and go on a rampage. I am just not a fan of guns or missiles or anything that makes killing innocent people an easy task.

Sorry if I offended anyone:veryconfu

Mikester71

BRAVO!:sohappy: Very well put.

And I would like to add to Mikester71 that I am offended by your "consititution or whatever" comment. I think that is very flippant remark. I don't think anyone here US citizen or otherwise thinks that US laws or government are perfect, but it is really rude to just dismiss them like that. Then you go on to say something is just your opinion and go on to say "If there were no guns allowed in the hands of regular citizens, you would have way less people dead in the world, and that's a fact!"

I didn't mean anything by that comment. If you notice the time of my post (it was late - early, however you look at it) and I had a brain fart. I just couldn't remember what you Americans called your main laws off the top of my head (Constitution, Bill Of Rights). I know in Canada, we have a Constitution too, but I have heard it referred to as The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and I wouldn't expect everyone to know that, even some Canadians. That is all I meant by the "whatever" part. Like I said, chalk it up to tired stupidity, but nothing more.:(

I am no big advocate of guns, but those two people do a lot to prove that horrible things can happen without guns and just having the police and military armed is not necessarily always a good thing.

I'm sorry to all if this got off topic, but I was really offended by those remarks.

I know, but guns (weapons) still played a big part in their reign of terror. Wars are fought with guns and guns killed innocent civilians by the millions. Hitler also took his own life with a 7.65 mm Walther pistol.

I just don't see any benefit or upside to civilians owning guns. Sorry:shrug:
Again, I didn't mean to sound offensive by any means.:kiss:

Mikester71

Funny you would bring those two up...if you were to think of it. Those countries did not have legislation allowing there respective citizens to be armed and carry weapons for personal use. Therefore making there populations alot easier to oppress...:confused: ...which it is my belief (and I could be very wrong) that our founding fathers put this into our "constitution or whatever" in order to prevent the oppresion of it's people by our own government or any others goverment (hence why you are also allowed to have militias, and not have to forcefully quarter any troops, etc.) Maybe such far foresite wasn't there on their part, but I believe they could actually see were this path might have lead if these rights were never gauranteed. IMO But like I said I could be wrong.

Again, sorry about the "constitution or whatever" part. It was late, I was tired, and I honestly forgot what you guys called your bill of rights, hence the "whatever" part. I meant no offence by it.

I am just not a big fan of violence or war and believe that there are other actions that can be taken before resorting to force. I believe Hitler would have still done what he did even if German citizens were allowed to be armed. He was a madman who would have stopped at nothing to gain more power.

I don't see militias as a good thing either. I usually think of guys like Timothy McVie or Terry Nicholls and the actions they took against against your government in Oklahoma as showing what SOME militias will and can do. Again, these are just my beliefs. Doesn't mean they are correct or incorrect, just that they are mine.:wave:

CBOMB

Again, sorry about the "constitution or whatever" part. It was late, I was tired, and I honestly forgot what you guys called your bill of rights, hence the "whatever" part. I meant no offence by it.

I am just not a big fan of violence or war and believe that there are other actions that can be taken before resorting to force. I believe Hitler would have still done what he did even if German citizens were allowed to be armed. He was a madman who would have stopped at nothing to gain more power.

I don't see militias as a good thing either. I usually think of guys like Timothy McVie or Terry Nicholls and the actions they took against against your government in Oklahoma as showing what SOME militias will and can do. Again, these are just my beliefs. Doesn't mean they are correct or incorrect, just that they are mine.:wave:
I seriously doubt that you will find one single person in this thread that is a big fan of violence or war. Sometimes they are necessary to stop evil, and wrong doing. Funny when I think of militia I think of the Minutemen, and the National Guard. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect yours.
I think the people decided to back out of the investigation because they did not want to be scrutinized further. You really can't force a person to be a witness or testify. They are protected under the Fifth Amendment. Another fine Amendment to the Constitution of The United States of America. As always just my uneducated opinion.

Eyorefan

I didn't mean anything by that comment. If you notice the time of my post (it was late - early, however you look at it) and I had a brain fart. I just couldn't remember what you Americans called your main laws off the top of my head (Constitution, Bill Of Rights). I know in Canada, we have a Constitution too, but I have heard it referred to as The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and I wouldn't expect everyone to know that, even some Canadians. That is all I meant by the "whatever" part. Like I said, chalk it up to tired stupidity, but nothing more.:(

I know, but guns (weapons) still played a big part in their reign of terror. Wars are fought with guns and guns killed innocent civilians by the millions. Hitler also took his own life with a 7.65 mm Walther pistol.

I just don't see any benefit or upside to civilians owning guns. Sorry:shrug:
Again, I didn't mean to sound offensive by any means.:kiss:

I usually stay out of stuff like this but I'm bored. I'm not a huge gun fan either and would never own one or carry one myself, but my dad is a member of the NRA so I know what their point of view would be. The first thing Hitler did when he came into power was to take away all the guns from civilians. If you aren't armed you can't fight back.

With that being said, I don't think a group of civilians armed with their hunting rifles and concealed hand guns would be able to take on the US military today in the event of the rise of tyrannical government.

Still it is an American tradition to not trust the government or the people who run it (even more true for where I live in Texas). So taking away peoples right to have guns is like taking away their freedom of speech. Its a cultural thing that I don't think anyone not raised in America will ever understand. Heck, I was raised here and I can only appreciate it on a historical/philosophical level.

The Mom

Premium Member
This thread is now officially off topic. Unless anyone hears more about the TOPIC at hand, (the tourists being abducted at DTD, and how it does or does not effect the average WDW guest) the discussion is closed. Thank You.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom