Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney

PigletIsMyCat

Well, just playing Devil's Advocate, it could also be a situation where either

a: The victims are intimidated into silence, for fear of retribution,

or

b: The victims know that, if their assailants are ID'd and the case is brought to trial, it means having to come back to Orlando to testify, and if they can't get off work at the time and for the length of time their testimony requires, then they wasted the police's and the court's time starting to prosecute a case they can't finish.

I am in no way saying either of these theories is the reason why. Just saying it could be. I agree that it sounds fishy, but I don't know enough to pass judgment.

I can't see the victims being intimidated into silence. They would not have any more contact with these people, and these people more than likely don't know anything more about the people than there names.

As far as not wanting to come back and testify, that's their duty as citizens who reported a crime. If that is the reason, I say shame on them. If you're going to report a crime, especially a personal violent crime, be prepared to stick it out and follow it through. I know I would want justice to be served and would do what I have to do to see it through.

dismedic1

Wow highly suspicious if you ask me, refusing to cooperate with police, Why? I doubt fear then why did they initially cooperate by activating 911 and initiating a police report??

A composite is an easy ambiguous thing that only assist in questionably identifying the actors. Why would if you had been sooo traumatized refuse to even help prevent a questionable attack by these persons on someone else.

To me it was a try to bilk Disney and the City of Orlando with this bogus claim. Manpower by the OPD and Disney to try and investigate this cost us all OPD has it tough without this nonsense and Disney is used as a pawn too many times by persons with bogus claims. As far as retribution as why they refused as speculated by a poster? come on long way to travel from Orlando up here to us in the north to just intimidate them how about the charge of perjury and making false reports to authorities that may be charged to these alleged victims. Seems more plausible than any other issues.

The Sopranos is over and this issue is also let it fade to black with no more sound.

What a joke seems like the officer that called the news media was correct in his or her assumption of what may happened.

Just another in a long line of people trying to get what they can whether it be money or notoriety.

WhyteAL

BRAVO!:sohappy: Very well put.

To that statement I would like to just give you two names Hitler and Stalin. Think about it.

I am no big advocate of guns, but those two people do a lot to prove that horrible things can happen without guns and just having the police and military armed is not necessarily always a good thing.

I'm sorry to all if this got off topic, but I was really offended by those remarks.

Funny you would bring those two up...if you were to think of it. Those countries did not have legislation allowing there respective citizens to be armed and carry weapons for personal use. Therefore making there populations alot easier to oppress...:confused: ...which it is my belief (and I could be very wrong) that our founding fathers put this into our "constitution or whatever" in order to prevent the oppresion of it's people by our own government or any others goverment (hence why you are also allowed to have militias, and not have to forcefully quarter any troops, etc.) Maybe such far foresite wasn't there on their part, but I believe they could actually see were this path might have lead if these rights were never gauranteed. IMO But like I said I could be wrong.

tigsmom

Here is an update (sorry if it was posted already, I just skimmed thru)

Victims of Downtown Disney kidnapping decide not to prosecute

Henry Pierson Curtis
Sentinel Staff Writer

June 13, 2007, 11:48 AM EDT

The victims of a recent robbery and kidnapping at Downtown Disney have decided not to prosecute if the Orange County Sheriff's Office captures their abductors.

"They both signed DOI's within the past hour," sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday. DOI stands for declination of intent, a form stating that victims decline to prosecute.

The abduction early Sunday of Jessica DellaCamera and Justin Stetzer, tourists from Connecticut, attracted national attention after they reported being taken at gunpoint from Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World's shopping and nightclub center.

They told investigators that three men forced them into a car and drove them to withdraw cash from ATMs before leaving them in a dump in nearby Osceola County, where the men beat them. They also told investigators they fought back and escaped when one of their abductors' guns fired accidentally, according to the sheriff's office.

"When you get down to the bottom line we still consider them victims," Solomons said, noting that DellaCamera and Stetzer, both 20 years old, showed signs of having been beaten.

The couple, who were visiting Walt Disney World with DellaCamera's parents, decided not to go any further with the investigation after they were asked to provide facial details for composite sketches of the robbers and to undergo voice stress analysis, a form of lie-detector test, according to the sheriff's office. Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...61307,0,2381379.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

So what are we to think now? :shrug:

jjgoo

Funny you would bring those two up...if you were to think of it. Those countries did not have legislation allowing their respective citizens to be armed and carry weapons for personal use. Therefore making there populations alot easier to oppress...:confused: ...which it is my belief (and I could be very wrong) that our founding fathers put this into our "constitution or whatever" in order to prevent the oppresion of it's people by our own government or any others goverment (hence why you are also allowed to have militias, and not have to forcefully quarter any troops, etc.) Maybe such far foresite wasn't there on their part, but I believe they could actually see were this path might have lead if these rights were never gauranteed. IMO But like I said I could be wrong.

Exactly my point. That's where I was going when I said "think about it." My opinion is that a population that has the power to protect itsself is stronger. The gun issue goes way beyond just a petty criminal. I support a right to bear arms whether or not I choose to exercise that right.

As I step off my soap box I now I the music from the American Adventure going through my head.:rolleyes:

CBOMB

I couldn't agree more. I don't want to get the whole gun issue heated up or anything, but I don't see where the general public should feel the need to carry concealed weapons. Growing up in Sarnia, Canada, I never knew of anybody who even owned a gun. The sad thing is I never even saw a gun in a house until I met my wife (who happens to be American) and it was only after our sister-in-law's father (who was in his 70's or 80's) used one to blow his brains out because he was depressed.

I know your constitution or whatever gives you the right to bare arms, but like PigletIsMyCat is saying, if it is easy enough for good citizens to acquire guns, then it is just as easy for the bad ones to get their hands on them too. My personal opinion is that guns lead to violence; and that is just my personal opinion. If there were no guns allowed in the hands of regular citizens, you would have way less people dead in the world, and that's a fact!
I would suggest that a person's character lead some to violence, not gun ownership. Look how many law abiding citizens of this great nation own firearms, and are never involved in committing one single crime. Suicide is one of the things anti-gun people love to point out. If a person chooses to end their life you can not stop them. Better with a gun instead of a car, where innocent people could be involved. Bad people have always used weapons. Before guns it was rocks, and clubs, then came knives, and swords, now it's guns, and knives. If you do not like the laws of our great nation I would suggest you first become a citizen, and then work hard to change them. We in the United States of America have always had the right to amend our laws, and our Constitution.
I haven't heard anything about that either, but as someone who lives in North Branford and is reasonably young, I wouldn't be surprised at all by this. NB is a bunch of upper middle class while people, and the kids have nothing better to do with their time but drink and smoke up. I know because I used to be one of them (only the drinking part, none of the smoking/drug thing).

I certainly don't know if it's true, but I would not put it past the NB crowd.
NB must be a very grim place to live to hear you tell it. I would certainly consider moving elsewhere to get away from those upper middle class white folks.
Funny you would bring those two up...if you were to think of it. Those countries did not have legislation allowing there respective citizens to be armed and carry weapons for personal use. Therefore making there populations alot easier to oppress...:confused: ...which it is my belief (and I could be very wrong) that our founding fathers put this into our "constitution or whatever" in order to prevent the oppresion of it's people by our own government or any others goverment (hence why you are also allowed to have militias, and not have to forcefully quarter any troops, etc.) Maybe such far foresite wasn't there on their part, but I believe they could actually see were this path might have lead if these rights were never gauranteed. IMO But like I said I could be wrong.
That is exactly how I read, and interpret the Second Amendment, but I bet there are people out there that would disagree with me.

KevinFSU

They are officially full of crap. This either never happened, or they were up to no good themselves (i.e. buying drugs) and got involved with the wrong person/people.

EthylCooper

You should have tried Kin Village in the late 60's. Evidently Okinawa has changed very much since then. Gangs would slit your throat for a quarter.

I'm glad it changed. I lived there as a child in the mid 80s and as a teenager in the early 90s, and it was wonderful.

Beauty_Belle

Just read this online....

WFTV - ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Two people who claimed they were kidnapped from a Downtown Disney parking lot are now refusing to cooperate with the investigation.

Jessica Dellacamera and Justin Stetzer told investigators in both Orange and Osceola Counties they were forced into a car at gunpoint over the weekend. The couple said they were driven to ATMs and then to a landfill in Osceola county. They claimed there was a struggle and they got away from their abductors and ran for help.

Now, Orange County deputies say Dellacamera and Stetzer wouldn't help with a composite sketch, nor take a voice stress test. So, investigators have closed the case.

AEfx

I wonder if this will bring about even more security at DTD at night to put tourists at ease? Belle

The presence has been NOTICABLY increased. Even during daytime.

Makes the place feel like an airport, unfortunately. I have never been one for DTD to begin with (I don't drink, I rarely shop, etc.), but it made me want to be there even less. Not because it wasn't 'safer' with them, or that I intended to do anything that would bring their attention, LOL, but for the fact that like the bag checks at the park it is a constant reminder that WDW isn't immune to the evils of the outside world.

If it turns out these people were lying as has now been implied, they should be sued and face charges of false accusations. The news is ALL OVER THIS at Disney right now, and if it is a lie they have cost an awful lot of money to a lot of people.

AEfx

PigletIsMyCat

I find it hard to believe that they were victims and they are unwilling to cooperate with police. Even if they didn't want to press charges or testify, couldn't they still help with composite sketches? And why would they refuse to a voice stress test if they're 'victims'? Why would the OCSD even request a voice stress test if they didn't doubt at least some of the story?

And while it may be their decision not to prosecute, they should still be made to cooperated in an investigation. Just because they aren't prosecuting, does that mean the whole case is closed? Wouldn't the DA have the authority to force them to cooperate in the interest of public safety? (Not like I know anything about laws like that!)

I also agree that if they are found to have been lying, they should be held fully accoutnable.

bayoutinkbelle

Just read this online....

WFTV - ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Two people who claimed they were kidnapped from a Downtown Disney parking lot are now refusing to cooperate with the investigation.

Jessica Dellacamera and Justin Stetzer told investigators in both Orange and Osceola Counties they were forced into a car at gunpoint over the weekend. The couple said they were driven to ATMs and then to a landfill in Osceola county. They claimed there was a struggle and they got away from their abductors and ran for help.

Now, Orange County deputies say Dellacamera and Stetzer wouldn't help with a composite sketch, nor take a voice stress test. So, investigators have closed the case.

So that case is closed. Interested to know whether another could be opened. Filing a false police report, perhaps?

Any insight, Champion? :)

Champion

So that case is closed. Interested to know whether another could be opened. Filing a false police report, perhaps?

Any insight, Champion? :)

The story I originally posted seems to be mostly correct.

They were not forced into the car. Apparently the surveillance video shows the male going to one of the ATMs not under duress.

They DID get beat up and left at the junkyard.

They might have tried to rip off the dealers somehow ... and then got beat up for it, but thats only conjecture.

The only crime committed seems to be assault.

The Mom

Premium Member
The story I originally posted seems to be mostly correct.

They were not forced into the car. Apparently the surveillance video shows the male going to one of the ATMs not under duress.

They DID get beat up and left at the junkyard.

They might have tried to rip off the dealers somehow ... and then got beat up for it, but thats only conjecture.

The only crime committed seems to be assault.

This makes me feel a little bit safer, as I have no intention of putting myself in this situation.

I think people were concerned that random tourists were being targeted.

This is not to say that we shouldn't all be careful and aware of our surroundings, even at WDW, but we aren't in as much danger as the initial story led us to believe.

I still don't think that people deserve to be beaten in these circumstances, but I'm somewhat relieved that most of us are unlikely to experience a similar fate.

PigletIsMyCat

Drug dealers are notoriously unscrupulous people. It is quite common for dealers to assault and rob drug buyers who are not locals or regular customers.

Champion, I had not heard anything about the ATM surveillance. Do you have any info on where that was reported, or any more information on what evidence the OCSD collected?

Champion

Drug dealers are notoriously unscrupulous people. It is quite common for dealers to assault and rob drug buyers who are not locals or regular customers.

Champion, I had not heard anything about the ATM surveillance. Do you have any info on where that was reported, or any more information on what evidence the OCSD collected?

It was reported up here on the news, and I heard it from the same place I heard the original part of the story.

I'm waiting for one of the local stations to post it so I can give a link.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom