Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

AintNoOtherMan

I've never seen the lights :( That's disappointing. I do believe it's time to do something with that area, so it's bittersweet for me.

As for Imagination, I don't mind as long as they don't permanently close it and leave an empty building there for... ever.

I actually don't mind the exterior of MS. It's the interior that bothers me once you leave the queue. The pre-show is fun, but from there on you are shoved into unthemed hallways into an obvious simulator, then you have to walk a very long and drab hallway to a room with a boring group game, a video game room that often has broken stations, vending machines (including the free postcard thing), and a set of softplay tubes straight out of Chuck E Cheese or McDonalds.

I agree, I don't even like the ride itself, none of my family of 4 likes it actually. No thrill what so ever, they make it sound so awesome on the videos but once you get in it and ride it, then you're like let me out of this stupid thing. Just makes me motion sick!!!

Admiral01

Premium Member
I've always wanted to see this sort of spire extend from M:S.
P4216838.JPG

From the National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center

The Empress Lilly

There's never enough purple dragon talk.

Our dear dragon (DD31) being the embodiment of the park, I might as well use him as a bridge to lament the demise of the unity of style and vision as represented by the ubiquitous John Hench purple.

This is unity and harmony. FW West is a cohesive land:

imagination6-Sue-Berringer-1024x659.jpg

living_seas1.jpg

Below is lunacy. As if they gave the park to a few eight year olds.
'..and bring some crayons. We'll be cutting out some cardboard figures too. And decorating some signs. Make sure your kid is wearing old clothes!'

dsc06161u.jpg

dsc07672.jpg

flFigment

Take these for what they are worth.

Imagination CMs have been told that their pavilion will be 'temporarily' be closing this winter. I have no idea why or for how long, but since they don't do refurbs we can rule that out.

Also, some folks in marketing have already been talking about what they'll do for Christmas 2014 sans the Ozzy and Sharon Lightacular.

If WDW takes out Figment they will have a serious amount of people severely upset about this and I will be right at the top of the list!!!! Didnt they learn their lesson the first time when the redid Figment for NO reason in 1999 and then they brought in that horrible replacement. Didnt they recieve like a record amount of complaints about that refurb which made them redo it to the current state of sadness?

I will be at Guest Services every day and will do everything in my power for them not to take away the one thing lef that is actually not bottom line ROI thinking from the empty think tank of MBA's in TDO.

FigmentsFangirl

If WDW takes out Figment they will have a serious amount of people severely upset about this and I will be right at the top of the list!!!! Didnt they learn their lesson the first time when the redid Figment for NO reason in 1999 and then they brought in that horrible replacement. Didnt they recieve like a record amount of complaints about that refurb which made them redo it to the current state of sadness?

I will be at Guest Services every day and will do everything in my power for them not to take away the one thing lef that is actually not bottom line ROI thinking from the empty think tank of MBA's in TDO.

Wait, you're a CM ? If so, I shall try and look out for ya, either that or my parents or brother will :) And yes, I think they learned their lesson and that is why they brought Figment back. What I've been seeing floating around on Disneywiki and Disneyparksblog was something concerning soundsystem updates. {which might be true, the last time I went on with Figment I could barely hear in some areas, it was like the speakers were dead or disconnected or something}

Now a personal thought here; am I the only one who was lucky enough to get a picture of Figment when he was a meet and greet ?

But seriously, I'm still treating this thread and everything I read on Figment's home as a rumor floating around until I get some rocksolid facts at EPCOT when I ask about it there to a CM or even {If I'm lucky} a Imagineer and see if I can get some answers. Or at least something newsworthy to shed some light on the project. But knowing Disney like I do, they're really secretive about these things.

FigmentsFangirl

I love figment and I'd hate to see him go :(

However I did see more little kids walking around with the green platypus thing hat than figment hats :( :(

I think it is hard to find a Figment hat, I know for a fact that if I could get one, I'd wear it constantly! and honestly I was not aware there were even Figment hats ? Unless its that plushie with magnets in the hands to put around your head :D

MOXOMUMD

I think it is hard to find a Figment hat, I know for a fact that if I could get one, I'd wear it constantly! and honestly I was not aware there were even Figment hats ? Unless its that plushie with magnets in the hands to put around your head :D
At one time there were Figment Ears plus ball caps and winter knit caps that looked like Figment's head complete with horns.

Figments Friend

Our dear dragon (DD31) being the embodiment of the park, I might as well use him as a bridge to lament the demise of the unity of style and vision as represented by the ubiquitous John Hench purple.

living_seas1.jpg

'..and bring some crayons. We'll be cutting out some cardboard figures too. And decorating some signs. Make sure your kid is wearing old clothes!'

dsc06161u.jpg

dsc07672.jpg
Hell yes....excellent photo references there.

The contrast of the comparisons is stunning.
It clearly puts into focus what the different attitudes are about the Park and it*s concept/purpose was to the folks who originally designed and created it, and what it is currently being thought of by the new regiment.
Quite telling...these images...of not only that aspect, but what the general public is accepting.

Instead of stunning design elements and a real sense of theme, we get bright colors and cartoon settings.
This is NOT the MK. If i want to visit a Park with MK vibes, i go there. When one wants to be mentally stimulated and ( back in the day ) inspired, one would visit EPCOT.
Trying to turn EPCOT into another MK-type of Park is shortsighted and downright nutty to put it mildly.

I suppose someone could look at these photos and say that the original design intent of EPCOT looked *boring* or *dated*. I am not really sure where people get that impression, because in my humble opinion, i find the original Pavilion designs as timeless and beautiful...as building design goes.
I am just focusing on the buildings themselves here, not the various attractions within.

The Pavilions themselves, all the original Pavilions, i do not see as *dated*.
They look just as eye catching today in those old photos as they did back in the day, and even look good today.
Sure things need to be replaced or updated once in while..stuff wears out, tastes change...etc...but why the sudden dramatic change of direction?
The genius of the original designers* intent shines through and each original Pavilions look was indeed timeless. I wish some of those Pavilions had kept their original outer appearance. I know many here will agree that they wish some of the interiors were kept original, too....including attractions.

I understand the need to sometimes freshen things up a bit, but in several cases the change cluttered the senses and took away from the clean, sharp look that they originally had.
The changes made over the years, particularly the color palette, messes with that original design intent.

To sum up my feelings on the matter...

Those folks who painted the place in John Hench Purple, and built buildings that looked like spaceships...and filled said buildings with some utterly amazing concepts that inspired with their forward thinking messages understood what it was all about.

The folks who paint over those purples, demolish the buildings that look like spaceships, and then fill the buildings with some somewhat diluted or downright shallow concepts that are quickly forgotten after the initial thrill do not understand what EPCOT is supposed to be about.

Fairybuzz

living_seas1.jpg

dsc06161u.jpg

dsc07672.jpg
Precisely! Thank you I always thought the new seas with nemo art looked like a kids drawing.

Its like future world is going childrens daycare nursery paintings. Like the crumby ones that always get the artists sued.

It all used to look so sleek and perfect then it got loud and Disney XD ish. *gag*

Captain Neo

living_seas1.jpg

dsc06161u.jpg

dsc07672.jpg

That has more to do with the fact that modern imagineers dont know jack about design

CDavid

huh? so you are saying they would take the façade off on outside?

The Mission:Space facade could be removed altogether, or replaced with a different facade, without structurally affecting the building in which the actual attraction is set up. The ride building could remain just fine without any such decoration at all - it would just look like somebody built a warehouse in a theme park. Hence, the reason for the facade (just like Mexico, The Great Movie Ride, and other attractions).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But seriously, I'm still treating this thread and everything I read on Figment's home as a rumor floating around until I get some rocksolid facts at EPCOT when I ask about it there to a CM or even {If I'm lucky} a Imagineer and see if I can get some answers. Or at least something newsworthy to shed some light on the project. But knowing Disney like I do, they're really secretive about these things.

How about a bus driver? They always know exactly what's going on;).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom