Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

afar28

It seems like all the effort went into making a nice entry facade and they forgot to make the actual ride/pavillion any good

I don't think the ride is that bad, but it could be waaaay better. It's a shame because that rides technology is so advanced, and they spent so much money on a ride that really isn't anything special

BlackCauldron

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If we become completely honest there were only two that were geared toward the future in the early days of EPCOT. One was Horizon and the other, to a lesser degree was Journey into Imagination. Spaceship Earth had a small glimpse into the future but primarily it was what you see now. The look forward in the Land very quickly after opening, became the present. So, really it has always been that way. Communicore did spend some time on it, but they were still more about what is available today as opposed to what might be available in the future. Future World may have been a misnomer to begin with!

Mostly the EPCOT of old was more of a tribute to creativity and attention to detail along with excellent story telling. Something that is very much missing in today's Epcot.
See, to me Future World never really was literal. It wasn't really "hey, here's the future". It was aimed at making people think about the future. Most of its attractions were more about the exploration of how understanding the past and present, and using our imagination, we could make a better future together. SSE, Horizons, World of Motion, Living with the Land, UoE, and Communicore all seemed pointed toward that thought. The only futuristic attractions were really part of Horizons and The Living Seas. Imagination was the glue that held it all together. It was how we bridge the gap between history and future.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If we become completely honest there were only two that were geared toward the future in the early days of EPCOT. One was Horizon and the other, to a lesser degree was Journey into Imagination. Spaceship Earth had a small glimpse into the future but primarily it was what you see now. The look forward in the Land very quickly after opening, became the present. So, really it has always been that way. Communicore did spend some time on it, but they were still more about what is available today as opposed to what might be available in the future. Future World may have been a misnomer to begin with!

Mostly the EPCOT of old was more of a tribute to creativity and attention to detail along with excellent story telling. Something that is very much missing in today's Epcot.

Overall I agree with you...there were few parts of the big attractions that truly dealt with the future in specifics...2nd half of Horizons, ending of Spaceship Earth, Listen to the Land, the ImageWorks....however we shouldn't forget about Communicore, Backstage Magic/Astuter Computer Revue, Worldkey Information kiosks (to make your dinner reservations, etc.).

willtravel

Agreed! I often spend time just relaxing in front of MS, It is very pelasing to the eye.
epcot-mission-space-exterior-1-9.jpg
One thing about MS pavilion, theme wise it can never change unless they tear the building down.

RSoxNo1

M:S to me represents the type of attraction that historically only Disney could pull off. Immersive, scale, unique ride experience, show... I think its amazing - it just isn't for everyone.. which is a huge expectation of a Disney attraction.

You don't see people calling X2 a failure because not everyone can ride it... but the expectation for Disney is different. But this is also the same type of 'aim more to center' mentality that got us Stich instead of AE.
I think one of the reasons why Mission: Space is perceived as a problem is because they gave it too much capacity. They expected more people to be able to/want to ride it. I believe there are 4 centrifuges (please correct me if I'm wrong), if they built it with one or two less the demand/wait times would make it seem a bit more popular.

afar28

I urge everyone who has a soft spot for the EPCOT of yester-year to read the two below articles. Also a good read for anyone who wants to delve into the history of EPCOT in general. It's an excellent thesis on how EPCOT was designed to be a different park and how it has become watered down over the years.
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2007/01/aesthetic-history-of-epcot-part-one.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2007/01/aesthetic-history-of-epcot-part-two.html

Excellent reads, thanks for sharing!

flynnibus

Premium Member
A problem easily solved by offering multiple experiences within the same pavilion and/or attraction, or else multiple ways to experience the same attraction

Sure... If only space and money were not constraints. Doubling or tripling the product offering is not something 'easily done' when talking about highly immersive or physical rides. In the case of m:s they got luckily in that they basically had enough capacity and could repurpose some of the existing attraction with minimal effort.

Should it been built tiered from the start?? If it meant a lesser attraction at the top tier due due to diluted costs... I'd say no. Just mho :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think one of the reasons why Mission: Space is perceived as a problem is because they gave it too much capacity. They expected more people to be able to/want to ride it. I believe there are 4 centrifuges (please correct me if I'm wrong), if they built it with one or two less the demand/wait times would make it seem a bit more popular.
Yep it does have 4 ride bays. Part of why it was so expensive was they they did have to duplicate the entire ride system 4 times.

BlackCauldron

Excellent reads, thanks for sharing!

You are very welcome!!

I also want to share the words on the dedication plaque - it is located at the base of the flagpole outside the park and is probably overlooked by the vast majority of quests:

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship—welcome. EPCOT is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world.

I don't know about the rest of you, but just reading those words inspires me and gives me goosebumps. EPCOT was always intended to be different than anything you had ever experienced before. It was designed to educate, to make us realize that through the learning of the past and through imagination and cooperation, we can build a better future. Perhaps that grand of an idea simply no longer works anymore today, and if that is true (and how sad would it be if it were) then EPCOT simply no longer has a place, or a voice, or a purpose.

As the articles I previously posted said - you can take EPCOT out of 1982, but you cannot take 1982 out of EPCOT.

flynnibus

Premium Member
. It's a shame because that rides technology is so advanced, and they spent so much money on a ride that really isn't anything special

Where else are you riding a centerfuge with an articulated cabin?

Can you name any other ride vehicle on property with such intrict interiors where you ride?

flynnibus

Premium Member

If this was a major concern ( lack of a line) - they'd just run at reduced capacity to boost the wait and time in the queue. i've Never meant a guest that was disappointed that their wAit was too short. So not sure who is not getting what they want in your description.

afar28

Where else are you riding a centerfuge with an articulated cabin?

Can you name any other ride vehicle on property with such intrict interiors where you ride?

My wording gave you the wrong idea. By "special" I didn't mean as in something unique that you can't ride anywhere else. I meant the actual experience isn't that great. The intense version nauseates me a bit, while the less intense version is just boring to me. It just isn't a ride that makes me say "Wow, I can not wait to ride it again!" And thats a shame because the technology is so unique and advanced, yet the ride itself isn't that great.

Beholder

Considering the amount of data collected by NASA from the actual planet Mars, it'd be nice if they would incorporate some of that into the MS attraction. Perhaps a post ride walk through or while in line.

I like the overall idea of MS, but the ride system itself turns off quite a few people. The entrance is beautiful (IMO), and I, for the most part, like the exterior, but I can do without that queasy feeling I get every so often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom