Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

tirian

A few thoughts on the architecture...

0052-5.jpg

Those days are over. We'll never get another Epcot as cohesively beautiful as the original. Modern Imagineers have proven they're too obsessed with either technological gimmicks or ultra-realistic exotic environments to give us another gleaming EPCOT Center. New Fantasyland is beautiful, but it's more of the same architecture Disney already knows how to build—only with seriously screwed up forced perspective (look at the two castles or the miniature antlers throughout Gaston's tavern). The grimy realism of Animal Kingdom has made its way to the other park expansions too, especially the "mud" throughout FL Forest.

These styles aren't bad; they just aren't EPCOT Center. The new Test Track redesign is mostly successful yet marred by the remains of 1990s clutter. I don't know if today's Imagineers can create something as stunningly simple as the original Epcot style. Bold architectural statements no longer seem to be Disney's forte.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

com03869.jpg

1860801828_0b1e9d0ed7.jpg

hpavnight.jpg
wom121921LARGE.jpg
Outside-view.jpg

past_futureworld2008.jpg

Big C 73

A few thoughts on the architecture...

0052-5.jpg

Those days are over. We'll never get another Epcot as cohesively beautiful as the original. Modern Imagineers have proven they're too obsessed with either technological gimmicks or ultra-realistic exotic environments to give us another gleaming EPCOT Center. New Fantasyland is beautiful, but it's more of the same architecture Disney already knows how to build—only with seriously screwed up forced perspective (look at the two castles or the miniature antlers throughout Gaston's tavern). The grimy realism of Animal Kingdom has made its way to the other park expansions too, especially the "mud" throughout FL Forest.

These styles aren't bad; they just aren't EPCOT Center. The new Test Track redesign is mostly successful yet marred by the remains of 1990s clutter. I don't know if today's Imagineers can create something as stunningly simple as the original Epcot style. Bold architectural statements no longer seem to be Disney's forte.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

com03869.jpg

1860801828_0b1e9d0ed7.jpg

hpavnight.jpg
wom121921LARGE.jpg
Outside-view.jpg

past_futureworld2008.jpg

What happened. :(

It makes me sad, no wait mad,angry,sick,and p****d off at what Disney had let EPCOT Center become. Eisner said it was boring, the teens needed thrills, and what did we get a jumble of un futuristic, non-educational load of crap. EPCOT has been improving in previous years, but its going to take a lot of bleach to remove the stain of "Epcot". No 100th thread about EPCOT's state or a repetitive argument or complaint is going to change anything, as proved. Disney is going to have to do it. I love Disney and EPCOT Center, and it still holds charm, but when does the dam break? Maybe we've just begun to reimagine a new EPCOT, I hope so.:facepalm:

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Theres a report over on miceage in the comments section of the disney world update article stating the following:

There is no refurbishment planned or happening. The pavilion is simply being shut down indefinitely. Nothing’s going on with this attraction.

Hopefully this is not true, dont know who the person is but they sure are sure of themselves. :depressed:

JOSHG

Theres a report over on miceage in the comments section of the disney world update article stating the following:

There is no refurbishment planned or happening. The pavilion is simply being shut down indefinitely. Nothing’s going on with this attraction.

Hopefully this is not true, dont know who the person is but they sure are sure of themselves. :depressed:
PLEASE....DON'T LET THIS BE TRUE!

I know that the current incarnation is nowhere near as good as the original, but I grew up on Figment and still enjoy seeing him. My 4 year old LOVES Imagination.

CDavid

If they were just going to shutter the pavilion, no reason to wait until the first of the year. Sure its after the holiday season, but there will be busy seasons next year too.

More importantly, it goes against what trusted posters here with reputable sources have suggested.

aladdin2007

If they were just going to shutter the pavilion, no reason to wait until the first of the year. Sure its after the holiday season, but there will be busy seasons next year too.

More importantly, it goes against what trusted posters here with reputable sources have suggested.

True and true, I was hoping someone would debunk that right away, thanks! :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

9 out of 10 Disney bus drivers polled said they heard Figment was getting a refreshed new home. The 10th guy didn't know who Figment was, but said he heard from very reliable sources they were building a 5th gate based on Marvel.

The good news is they can't make the ride any shorter or close any more sections of the pavilion so its either a refurb or a closure. Closing the pavilion makes no sense unless there is an underlying structural issue that they don't want to pony up to fix. I've never heard anyone mention any such thing. If they didn't want to spend money on it they would just continue operating it in its current less than optimal state.

Nubs70

A bus driver told me.......

There's a sinkhole underneath the pavilion. The sinkhole is also threatening the structural integrity of the World Showcase Lagoon. Upon the imminent failure of the lagoon and it draining into the sinkhole, World Showcase Lagoon will become the home of the new E-ticket Panhandle Mudbog ride themed to the Song of the South.

Figments Friend

Great photos Tirian...and i completely agree with you.

Love the example above of the original Imagination Pavilion color scheme.
See how beautifully it complements with the glass pyramids and blue sky elements?

The two larger photos i wanted to comment on...as they are perfect examples of the *cluttering up* of EPCOT and how later addtions tend to mess with the original design intention.

The WoM Pavilion is sleek and cool. When it was turned into Test Track it became a cluttered , visually loud mess.
This was slightly improved with the recent re-imagining of Test Track and brought a much more coherent theme that was more in line with EPCOT of yore, but it still remains somewhat cluttered and visually *busy* as the photo above shows...to my eye, anyway.

Why was the decision made to put up all that scaffolding? Was it determined that long lines outside the Pavilion would need a shaded area and this was erected to provide that?
It completely covers up what was once a simplistic, but still visually unique and interesting building.
Now that design is covered up with a lot of distracting add ons that completely bury it.

Sadly much of those beautiful lines and forms in many parts of the Park are covered up by such.

Figments Friend

Hmmm.....Horizons was closed on January 9th, 1999 if i am remembering corrrectly.....
It could happen.

I would rather not think about that option at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom