TTA News...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hope you don't think the TTA is the most imprtant thing in TLand. No one has argued back as to why Space Mountain isn't the pivotal focus of the land. I'd just love to see that argument.

Actual its the theme all together for me. Architecture, Story, and Attractions.
The "story" that the TTA was working for has been long gone, thats why i think its retheming is a step in the right direction. As well as the new colors on SM hopefully they translate to a new theme all over the land. So no TTA was not the most important piece, its story was as one point, but not anymore. (SMTV was another example of this)

Disneyson 1

My only thing is the male narrator. Too "celebration-y" to me. Ideally, I'd love for the ride to have the old narrator with some old references, but to keep this general script. I feel, though, that some story elements had been taken out for the ease of guests. They expect a tour, the old ride only had a few jokes and announcements when entering new areas. I feel like the old voice scared the young chilluns, though.

Tom Morrow

Well I hope you don't think the TTA is the most imprtant thing in TLand. No one has argued back as to why Space Mountain isn't the pivotal focus of the land. I'd just love to see that argument.
We've explained what we actually meant numerous times, but apparently you are too dense to grasp it.

While Space Mountain is the most popular attraction in Tomorrowland, the entire land does not exist soley for Space Moutain.

Disneyson 1

^It exists for views of the future... why I can't drive a car or walk through a magic closet to Monstropolis in present-day is beyond me...

panther726

Notice no one is arguing...;)
My only thing is the male narrator. Too "celebration-y" to me. Ideally, I'd love for the ride to have the old narrator with some old references, but to keep this general script. I feel, though, that some story elements had been taken out for the ease of guests. They expect a tour, the old ride only had a few jokes and announcements when entering new areas. I feel like the old voice scared the young chilluns, though.
Exactly. It is much easier to understand. Sometimes, I think people here forget that it's not all about themselves, but the average guest as well.

EPCOT Explorer

Or you're thinking too much about the overhead announcements on a "B" Ticket...FOR 50 PAGES! ;)
That's what we do here, Jake. You are a member of a Disney Board...:shrug::lol:

Don't bother with an online petition. If you're concerned, send your thoughts to wdw.guest.communications@disney.com .

TTA and its audio have, by far, the biggest impact on Tomorrowland's theming and Sci-Fi atmosphere. Visually, because everywhere you look, you see TTA moving. Audibly, because the audio can be heard almost everywhere. THIS is why what you guys argue is just a simple narration on a so-called unimportant ride is so important!

BECAUSE... EVERY DISNEY ATTRACTION... whether it be an E-Ticket or a measilly "B", in this case, is supposed to immerse you in the theming and not be self-aware that it is just a simple ride. Once again, my WDW railroad example.

And the voice SHOULD matter in this case because you can hear it everywhere in Tomorrowland and thus it has a very big impact on the atmosphere.

Exactly.

Not details as in how much information it gives you... I don't need a 30 second description of SGE. Details such as making sure your park's lands and attractions have cohesive theming, rather than giving them a bland, generic spiel and voice that could be from anything, anywhere.
YES! Exactly.

_SCAR, you and others are missing our point entirely.
Exactly, and thanks.

I seriously laughed out loud when you said TTA and its audio has the greatest impact on TLand. It's a guided tour. You go through the show buildings. Nothing changed but the voice telling you where you are. The voice is like the original attraction, and it includes characters to familiarize with for the kids too.
Stop fan boy-flippin out. The descriptions given are short and sweet with a character talking. Seriously? A generic spiel? And the robot monotone pre refurb was extraordnary?

~

"BECAUSE... EVERY DISNEY ATTRACTION... whether it be an E-Ticket or a measilly "B", in this case, is supposed to immerse you in the theming and not be self-aware that it is just a simple ride. Once again, my WDW railroad example."

Then it's a good thing TTA still follows your guidelines! I also think TTA is a C ticket btw.

Scar, there is no need to be rude and scream.

Umm, yes. the VOICE of the attraction is the FACE of the attraction. Sets the mood, tone, and basically the entire attractions premise. If SSE were narrated by a syrupy sweet Tinkerbell, it would kill the ride. That's what they did here. Needless it's not as extreme as that, but you get my point, right?

The old voice matched the tone and mood and THEME of Tomorrowland PERFECTLY. This one? No. It's good, but not as good.

I'm sorry you can't grasp basic concepts of theming. Space Mountain may be the biggest crowd draw in Tomorrowland. Does it affect Tomorrowland's ATMOSPHERE? NO, because its a big ugly white cone off in the distance. TTA SURROUNDS Tomorrowland. You see TTA everywhere. You hear it everywhere. Even if you DON'T ride TTA it still is seen and heard by EVERYONE in Tomorrowland. Thus it should be treated as part of Tomorrowland's theming when they create an audio track that you can hear whether you are buying a turkey leg or spinning the big ball or taking a crap in the bathroom.

The monotone, robot voice and chimes fit perfectly with the sci-fi future theme. A generic, sugary voice does not. Theming 101.

Should we remove "Rod Serling" as the narrator on Tower of Terror and replace him with a generic sounding voice too?

Did you even read my comparison? The train's narration does not remove itself from the theme of the park's land and attractions. This spiel does.

And again, the characters are not a big problem for me (though I'm sure it will get annoying hearing Stitch cackle every 15 seconds...)

I'm defending my opinion on this change with many reasons to support why. All you're doing is responding with "wahh you're a fanboy who hates change, get over it!!" so don't tell me how to post.

\/\/\/ I am all for this happening!
Again, win. Thanks for posting.

There`s me thinking it was the architecture. You can live without the overhead disembodied voice, you can`t live without the visual theming.
I would think both are essential...
Space Mountain makes or breaks TLand. Isn't that a no-brainer? Every TLand has it. It's a must for any Disneyland park. Even Hong Kong knows whatsup. Are you seriously telling me TTA effects TTA the most out of any ride? :lol::ROFLOL: :sohappy: Does the electric tram tour at TDS make the American Waterfront a success? Not the wonderful architecture? Or what about the Suess Trolley in IoA? Does that make or break Suess Land? :lol:

Btw, you aren't supposed to hear the TTA over the TLand crowds. If you do, its because TLand is less crowded. Otherwise I wouldn't use this in your argument
Can you kill off the sarcasm? :rolleyes: Some of us are trying to have a discussion, not mudslinging.

And YES, I do say that. You WERE meant to hear it, and it was part of the audio kinetic and background noise for the land. It worked.

It does not make or break anything....It builds. It's no longer doing that, as a intricate piece of the TL puzzle is gone.
Here is my take:

First, the narration is a big deal. This is because it is half of the sensory experience. There is nothing to taste, smell, or touch on TTA so the only experiences are sight and sound. The TTA does offer some pretty good views of Tomorrowland, but it also quite bare in some spaces. Given that you can see Tomorrowland from elsewhere, and given that bareness, I think any argument that the TTA is solely about the sights is fundamentally flawed. The sights may be a large component, but the sounds aboard the TTA are a large part of the experience. The sounds consist of the narration, and the area music. The area music also exists all over Tomorrowland, so it isn't necessary to visit the TTA specifically for it. That leaves the few show scenes and the narration as the only truly unique aspects of the TTA, if we reduce the ride to its most basic terms. How can the narration not be essential? The answer is that it is essential.

Moreover, and if you don't buy that argument, it's a Disney Detail. The argument that people shouldn't 'care so much' about the new narration ignores exactly what sets Disney apart from the competition—attention to detail. Do people honestly think guests should not pay attention to details? That basically would sanction Disney building nothing but unthemed rollercoasters a la Cedar Point or Six Flags. Do any fans really want that? I'll ignore the discussion about whether it's the most 'important' thing in Tomorrowland. That argument is misguided. All that matters is that it is important. Given that Disney Details are what separates Disney from the competition, every detail is important. I happen to think this is a pretty important detail; maybe not the most important, but pretty high up on the list. Regardless of where you rate it on the list of importance, you should care about it as it is a detail.

Second, there are those who say this version is better. There are generally two camps as far as this goes: those who don't like it because it was chopped up over the years and/or because they liked the ORAC-1 narration better, and those who just like the new version better. Regarding the former group, I think that's a dumb rationale. So they like the current version not on its merits versus the last version, but because of some other version that doesn't really have a horse in the race? That isn't rationally grounded. I don't care if the current version were chopped up over the years because: 1) I don't remember the preceding versions, and 2) that version definitely isn't coming back. It would be like being okay with the Winnie the Pooh dark ride being replaced with a much worse attraction featuring Stitch, Jar Jar Binks, and Carrot Top. I'm not going to be okay with that simply because I was upset when Pooh replaced Mr. Toad. Mr. Toad, at this point, definitely is not coming back. Pooh getting its “just desserts” is only something I'd advocate if its replacement is superior to it.

The other group, those who just like the new version for its substance, I can understand. At least their reason follows logic. Now, I think it may not be sane to prefer the new version, but it doesn't have a logical flaw like the other arguments I've seen. Of this group, I've seen people say it ties together Tomorrowland better. I don't see how, but whatever. My biggest problem with the new version is the voice, and the lack of anything memorable. The old narration was rife with quotable portions, this new version is mellow and lacks any lasting appeal. I would have been fine with a new narration if they at least made it unique and entertaining. This version simply states what is where—I have no problem with the narrator stating 'what is where'; that makes sense and is fitting of a transportation system, but why not do it in a fun and memorable manner? Insert witty little catchphrases or some sly humor. Do something, anything, to keep it from being dull. This version is dull. Throwing in some references to the “Peoplemover” to appeal to the Disney purists doesn't do a whole lot for me. This isn't all to say that these problems couldn't be ironed out, and some witty references inserted, and I hope they do just that in the test and adjust phase.
Well done!

Jasonflz

Here is my take:

First, the narration is a big deal. This is because it is half of the sensory experience. There is nothing to taste, smell, or touch on TTA so the only experiences are sight and sound. The TTA does offer some pretty good views of Tomorrowland, but it also quite bare in some spaces. Given that you can see Tomorrowland from elsewhere, and given that bareness, I think any argument that the TTA is solely about the sights is fundamentally flawed. The sights may be a large component, but the sounds aboard the TTA are a large part of the experience. The sounds consist of the narration, and the area music. The area music also exists all over Tomorrowland, so it isn't necessary to visit the TTA specifically for it. That leaves the few show scenes and the narration as the only truly unique aspects of the TTA, if we reduce the ride to its most basic terms. How can the narration not be essential? The answer is that it is essential.

Moreover, and if you don't buy that argument, it's a Disney Detail. The argument that people shouldn't 'care so much' about the new narration ignores exactly what sets Disney apart from the competition—attention to detail. Do people honestly think guests should not pay attention to details? That basically would sanction Disney building nothing but unthemed rollercoasters a la Cedar Point or Six Flags. Do any fans really want that? I'll ignore the discussion about whether it's the most 'important' thing in Tomorrowland. That argument is misguided. All that matters is that it is important. Given that Disney Details are what separates Disney from the competition, every detail is important. I happen to think this is a pretty important detail; maybe not the most important, but pretty high up on the list. Regardless of where you rate it on the list of importance, you should care about it as it is a detail.

Second, there are those who say this version is better. There are generally two camps as far as this goes: those who don't like it because it was chopped up over the years and/or because they liked the ORAC-1 narration better, and those who just like the new version better. Regarding the former group, I think that's a dumb rationale. So they like the current version not on its merits versus the last version, but because of some other version that doesn't really have a horse in the race? That isn't rationally grounded. I don't care if the current version were chopped up over the years because: 1) I don't remember the preceding versions, and 2) that version definitely isn't coming back. It would be like being okay with the Winnie the Pooh dark ride being replaced with a much worse attraction featuring Stitch, Jar Jar Binks, and Carrot Top. I'm not going to be okay with that simply because I was upset when Pooh replaced Mr. Toad. Mr. Toad, at this point, definitely is not coming back. Pooh getting its “just desserts” is only something I'd advocate if its replacement is superior to it.

The other group, those who just like the new version for its substance, I can understand. At least their reason follows logic. Now, I think it may not be sane to prefer the new version, but it doesn't have a logical flaw like the other arguments I've seen. Of this group, I've seen people say it ties together Tomorrowland better. I don't see how, but whatever. My biggest problem with the new version is the voice, and the lack of anything memorable. The old narration was rife with quotable portions, this new version is mellow and lacks any lasting appeal. I would have been fine with a new narration if they at least made it unique and entertaining. This version simply states what is where—I have no problem with the narrator stating 'what is where'; that makes sense and is fitting of a transportation system, but why not do it in a fun and memorable manner? Insert witty little catchphrases or some sly humor. Do something, anything, to keep it from being dull. This version is dull. Throwing in some references to the “Peoplemover” to appeal to the Disney purists doesn't do a whole lot for me. This isn't all to say that these problems couldn't be ironed out, and some witty references inserted, and I hope they do just that in the test and adjust phase.

Well said. Thank you sir, and feel free to speak for me from now on because you just summed up what I think of this narration. :)

I personally don't hate it but it is very weak and pales in comparison to the 1994-2009 version. I am also one who doesn't like ORAC-1.

EPCOT Explorer

Well said. Thank you sir, and feel free to speak for me from now on because you just summed up what I think of this narration. :)

I personally don't hate it but it is very weak and pales in comparison to the 1994-2009 version. I am also one who doesn't like ORAC-1.
ORAC 1 was good....for that TL. It fit perfectly. If they would have swapped out ORAC for TTA94, there would have been the same outrage as there is now.

It's the same scenario here.

Jasonflz

ORAC 1 was good....for that TL. It fit perfectly. If they would have swapped out ORAC for TTA94, there would have been the same outrage as there is now.

It's the same scenario here.

And that's what scares me. It seems like DIsney is trying to take TL into a whole new direction and possible re-theming, and so far outcome isn't looking good. It seems far too cartoony. (character based rides, lime green on SM, TTA narration, purple building on Ave. of Planets)

I am all for change but I would rather see TL stay as is(was).

EPCOT Explorer

And that's what scares me. It seems like DIsney is trying to take TL into a whole new direction and possible re-theming, and so far outcome isn't looking good. It seems far too cartoony. (character based rides, lime green on SM, TTA narration, purple building on Ave. of Planets)

I am all for change but I would rather see TL stay as is(was).
Actually, I think that is what I think they are looking to get away from!:shrug::lol:

Look at SM's new colors and the new TTAP narr. Very sleek and retro almost!

Jasonflz

Actually, I think that is what I think they are looking to get away from!:shrug::lol:

Look at SM's new colors and the new TTAP narr. Very sleek and retro almost!

While the New TL was cartoony in a way, it never became as over the top as it is now. I personally would like the look to stay, not become Pixar Land.

EPCOT Explorer

While the New TL was cartoony in a way, it never became as over the top as it is now. I personally would like the look to stay, not become Pixar Land.
Exactly. It was a cartoonish version of a retro future. If anything, I hope they refine it a little bit...it needs it!

Jasonflz

Exactly. It was a cartoonish version of a retro future. If anything, I hope they refine it a little bit...it needs it!

It needs to bring back the cohesive theme. As much as I want AE and TK back, I strongly want to see the "Tomorrowland Center" theme re-used instead. Also, TIS needs to go. Imagine that entire space being used as an opposite Ave. of the planets for the FL entrance side. You can definitely bring another attraction in that space.

EPCOT Explorer

It needs to bring back the cohesive theme. As much as I want AE and TK back, I strongly want to see the "Tomorrowland Center" theme re-used instead. Also, TIS needs to go. Imagine that entire space being used as an opposite Ave. of the planets for the FL entrance side. You can definitely bring another attraction in that space.
TIS?

And yeah, TL CITY would be nice. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom