TTA News...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadruk

been on the TTA since the change, and I like it.. it seems like a throwback to the old audio tracks from the 70's and from disneyland.. more 'informative' about the tomorrowland area, than the previous one..

Kadruk

I get the feeling that this spiel isn't done yet. They've gone to great lengths to have someone attempt to sound exactly like the old Orca-1 robot guide. I hope they'll finish this and add in the announcement that this Orca-1 your tomorrowland guide and also add in the little computer sounds that preceded each comment. If you go look at videos of the ride with Orca-1 you'll see the similarities and see that it wasn't bad.

It's done.

captainkidd

I seriously laughed out loud when you said TTA and its audio has the greatest impact on TLand. It's a guided tour. You go through the show buildings. Nothing changed but the voice telling you where you are. The voice is like the original attraction, and it includes characters to familiarize with for the kids too.
Stop fan boy-flippin out. The descriptions given are short and sweet with a character talking. Seriously? A generic spiel? And the robot monotone pre refurb was extraordnary?

~

"BECAUSE... EVERY DISNEY ATTRACTION... whether it be an E-Ticket or a measilly "B", in this case, is supposed to immerse you in the theming and not be self-aware that it is just a simple ride. Once again, my WDW railroad example."

Then it's a good thing TTA still follows your guidelines! I also think TTA is a C ticket btw.

Sorry but, he's right. The TTA and it's audio DOES have the biggest impact on Tomorrowland.

awilliams4

I seriously laughed out loud when you said TTA and its audio has the greatest impact on TLand. It's a guided tour. You go through the show buildings. Nothing changed but the voice telling you where you are. The voice is like the original attraction, and it includes characters to familiarize with for the kids too.
Stop fan boy-flippin out. The descriptions given are short and sweet with a character talking. Seriously? A generic spiel? And the robot monotone pre refurb was extraordnary?

~

"BECAUSE... EVERY DISNEY ATTRACTION... whether it be an E-Ticket or a measilly "B", in this case, is supposed to immerse you in the theming and not be self-aware that it is just a simple ride. Once again, my WDW railroad example."

Then it's a good thing TTA still follows your guidelines! I also think TTA is a C ticket btw.

Scar,

I see you post here a lot so I am suprised that you are failing to grasp the explanation (exchange explanation with obvious if I am allowed to be rude)

What other ride in Tommorrowland has more influence in the land itself than TTA? I'll go ahead and answer that one. TTA. Wanna know why, because it covers that whole d*mn place and you can hear it everywhere. If you use to hear futuristic sounds, references and now everywhere in Tomorrowland you here what sounds like a Gillete Razor audio advertisement that you now hear in your local grocery store when you walk past that aisle, that is a problem.

"Its not. Its just that its usually not very entertaining to listen to for 10 minutes."

I have never once ridden the Peoplemover for the narration so this doesn't really bother me either way. If truth be told I prefer this to the TL 94 spiels which I always thought were silly. However, its not the narration that makes the peoplemover one of my favorite rides its a number of things that make it so. 1. It's always a walk on which is nice, 2. Its a long relaxing ride (around 10 minutes), 3. It has beautiful views of WDW. I've never really said, I just have to ride the peoplemover to hear that narration. If anything I've wished it wasn't there sometimes.

So I think we're making a big deal out of very little here. I know some people had a nostalgic attraction to the 94 narration, but as others have pointed out, some of us have a nostalgic attraction to this spiel which is a throwback to Orca-1.

I get the feeling that this spiel isn't done yet. They've gone to great lengths to have someone attempt to sound exactly like the old Orca-1 robot guide. I hope they'll finish this and add in the announcement that this Orca-1 your tomorrowland guide and also add in the little computer sounds that preceded each comment. If you go look at videos of the ride with Orca-1 you'll see the similarities and see that it wasn't bad.

Yes, thankyou. One of the best post so far. Just for the bolded statement above

And i agree completely, we should wait to see if its done first, before we judge. If after spacemountain opens and that spiel is added and it still sounds like its half done then I apologize, but right now I dont think its done, too many audio gaps.

Here is the orac 1 narration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjUasq4Hn0&feature=related

voice is very similar, hopefully this is the way the imagineers are taking it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The TTA and it's audio DOES have the biggest impact on Tomorrowland.
There`s me thinking it was the architecture. You can live without the overhead disembodied voice, you can`t live without the visual theming.

WDWGoof07

DLs PM was a direct development of the Ford 64WF pavilions ride system. WDW was trying a prototype new system with a mind to this being the showcase for it.

34 years later it is still a system of the future. The only moving parts are the car wheels and doors. DL had a wheel and motor every few feet to malfunction. The WEDway can run with 40% of its LIMs out of action (over length of path) and still maintain 100% capacity.
Wow, that's impressive stuff! Thanks for the info.

_Scar

Scar,

I see you post here a lot so I am suprised that you are failing to grasp the explanation (exchange explanation with obvious if I am allowed to be rude)

What other ride in Tommorrowland has more influence in the land itself than TTA? I'll go ahead and answer that one. TTA. Wanna know why, because it covers that whole d*mn place and you can hear it everywhere. If you use to hear futuristic sounds, references and now everywhere in Tomorrowland you here what sounds like a Gillete Razor audio advertisement that you now hear in your local grocery store when you walk past that aisle, that is a problem.

Space Mountain makes or breaks TLand. Isn't that a no-brainer? Every TLand has it. It's a must for any Disneyland park. Even Hong Kong knows whatsup. Are you seriously telling me TTA effects TTA the most out of any ride? :lol: :ROFLOL: :sohappy::lol::ROFLOL::lol: Does the electric tram tour at TDS make the American Waterfront a success? Not the wonderful architecture? Or what about the Suess Trolley in IoA? Does that make or break Suess Land? :lol:

Btw, you aren't supposed to hear the TTA over the TLand crowds. If you do, its because TLand is less crowded. Otherwise I wouldn't use this in your argument

blm07

If this is Orca-1, I think Tomorrowland is gonna need a bigger boat... sorry, just had to :lookaroun

dweezil78

They should bring back ORAC-1 or at least the name. It still sounds cool and would be new to almost everyone, but recognized by just enough to satisfy the old-school fanboys (like me).

Watching the old Wedway video brings a tear to my eye. The architecture of the original WDW Tomorrowland was so slick and minimalistic that, though it looked dated in the 90s when everything was loud and obnoxious, would be right in line with a lot of the great futuristic architecture of today.

Edit: BTW, does anyone else see 58 pages on this thread -- but can only actually navigate to 53 of them? (And if so, is that common on this board?)

They should bring back ORAC-1 or at least the name. It still sounds cool and would be new to almost everyone, but recognized by just enough to satisfy the old-school fanboys (like me).

Watching the old Wedway video brings a tear to my eye. The architecture of the original WDW Tomorrowland was so slick and minimalistic that, though it looked dated in the 90s when everything was loud and obnoxious, would be right in line with a lot of the great futuristic architecture of today.

Edit: BTW, does anyone else see 58 pages on this thread -- but can only actually navigate to 53 of them? (And if so, is that common on this board?)

People got bounced, so their comments were deleted, so that made up for the other pages

dweezil78

Aha, thanks for clarifying! I thought maybe there was a side conversation that only the cool kids were allowed to see. :lol:

WDWFigment

Here is my take:

First, the narration is a big deal. This is because it is half of the sensory experience. There is nothing to taste, smell, or touch on TTA so the only experiences are sight and sound. The TTA does offer some pretty good views of Tomorrowland, but it also quite bare in some spaces. Given that you can see Tomorrowland from elsewhere, and given that bareness, I think any argument that the TTA is solely about the sights is fundamentally flawed. The sights may be a large component, but the sounds aboard the TTA are a large part of the experience. The sounds consist of the narration, and the area music. The area music also exists all over Tomorrowland, so it isn't necessary to visit the TTA specifically for it. That leaves the few show scenes and the narration as the only truly unique aspects of the TTA, if we reduce the ride to its most basic terms. How can the narration not be essential? The answer is that it is essential.

Moreover, and if you don't buy that argument, it's a Disney Detail. The argument that people shouldn't 'care so much' about the new narration ignores exactly what sets Disney apart from the competition—attention to detail. Do people honestly think guests should not pay attention to details? That basically would sanction Disney building nothing but unthemed rollercoasters a la Cedar Point or Six Flags. Do any fans really want that? I'll ignore the discussion about whether it's the most 'important' thing in Tomorrowland. That argument is misguided. All that matters is that it is important. Given that Disney Details are what separates Disney from the competition, every detail is important. I happen to think this is a pretty important detail; maybe not the most important, but pretty high up on the list. Regardless of where you rate it on the list of importance, you should care about it as it is a detail.

Second, there are those who say this version is better. There are generally two camps as far as this goes: those who don't like it because it was chopped up over the years and/or because they liked the ORAC-1 narration better, and those who just like the new version better. Regarding the former group, I think that's a dumb rationale. So they like the current version not on its merits versus the last version, but because of some other version that doesn't really have a horse in the race? That isn't rationally grounded. I don't care if the current version were chopped up over the years because: 1) I don't remember the preceding versions, and 2) that version definitely isn't coming back. It would be like being okay with the Winnie the Pooh dark ride being replaced with a much worse attraction featuring Stitch, Jar Jar Binks, and Carrot Top. I'm not going to be okay with that simply because I was upset when Pooh replaced Mr. Toad. Mr. Toad, at this point, definitely is not coming back. Pooh getting its “just desserts” is only something I'd advocate if its replacement is superior to it.

The other group, those who just like the new version for its substance, I can understand. At least their reason follows logic. Now, I think it may not be sane to prefer the new version, but it doesn't have a logical flaw like the other arguments I've seen. Of this group, I've seen people say it ties together Tomorrowland better. I don't see how, but whatever. My biggest problem with the new version is the voice, and the lack of anything memorable. The old narration was rife with quotable portions, this new version is mellow and lacks any lasting appeal. I would have been fine with a new narration if they at least made it unique and entertaining. This version simply states what is where—I have no problem with the narrator stating 'what is where'; that makes sense and is fitting of a transportation system, but why not do it in a fun and memorable manner? Insert witty little catchphrases or some sly humor. Do something, anything, to keep it from being dull. This version is dull. Throwing in some references to the “Peoplemover” to appeal to the Disney purists doesn't do a whole lot for me. This isn't all to say that these problems couldn't be ironed out, and some witty references inserted, and I hope they do just that in the test and adjust phase.

Second, there are those who say this version is better.

I think MOST everyone on this board is in an agreement that this version, isnt good, there is just some, like me, that are trying to be optimistic and say, "ok the old narration is gone, lets hope they add some things to this narration to make it better," and move on. I think if you read most of these posts, no one really "likes" the new one, some are just going to "deal" and not complain over whats lost. Cause its not coming back. The new narration is just kinda "ok"

_Scar

I think everyone on this board is in a agreement that this version, isnt good, there is just some, like me, that are trying to be optimistic and say, "ok the old narration is gone, lets hope they add some things to this narration to make it better," and move on. I think if you read most of these posts, no one really "likes" the new one, some are just going to "deal" and not complain over whats lost. Cause its not coming back. The new narration is just kinda "ok"

Nah. I like it. Please don't speak for me.

The TTA is a tour ride with narration that tells you where you are WITH Disney characters included now. Apparently, this is not Disney whatsoever.

You guys are funny. :lol:

Nah. I like it. Please don't speak for me.

The TTA is a tour ride with narration that tells you where you are WITH Disney characters included now. Apparently, this is not Disney whatsoever.

You guys are funny. :lol:

"i think" is different then "i know"

so sorry you want me to edit it to most

And dont lump me with everyone else either then. I never said i didnt like the narration, completely, it has potential, i for one enjoy the voice they use.

_Scar

"i think" is different then "i know"

so sorry you want me to edit it to most

And dont lump me with everyone else either then. I never said i didnt like the narration, completely, it has potential, i for one enjoy the voice they use.

Well I hope you don't think the TTA is the most imprtant thing in TLand. No one has argued back as to why Space Mountain isn't the pivotal focus of the land. I'd just love to see that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom