TTA News...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOTPluto

It was only missing an announcement for SGE and Laugh Floor.
They could have easilly inserted something here and kept everything else the same.
But listening to it again, it just doesn't have that possibility.

The Metropolis Science Center certainly would sound awkward with MILF. :shrug:

gustaftp

All of which it still does.:wave:

Honestly, does anyone ride the TTA for the narration to begin with? I don't know of anyone who did.

That's like asking if anyone ever listened to American Top 40 solely to hear Casey Kasem? About the only reason I used to listen to that show was to hear Casey tell the stories behind the songs, read the Long Distance Dedications, etc. And Ryan Seacrest just doesn't compare. It's a really bad analogy, but a lot of people claim to have riden SSE just for Jeremy Irons voice.

Speaking of Casey Kasem, why don't they get a "real" voiceover person to narrate this attraction? The new voice is rather effeminate and just doesn't work well. Why not a Jack Wagner-esque voice? I'm thinking a voiceover speil by Ed McMann, Shadoe Stevens, or Charlie Tuna would be nice. Just not the voice that is used now.

Tom Morrow

But listening to it again, it just doesn't have that possibility.

The Metropolis Science Center certainly would sound awkward with MILF.

I understand, but with all the effort they put into recording an entire new narration, they could have easilly just inserted new audio in those parts, called it something else that actually stayed in theme (for example, referring to SGE as the Galactic Federation).

I also understand that they clearly wanted to unify the whole thing and thus thought an entire new narration was necessary. As mentioned in the other thread, they should have used the female voice from inside space mountain for the entire thing. It would improve the new narration 300%.

captainkidd

Honestly, does anyone ride the TTA for the narration to begin with? I don't know of anyone who did.

I did. Not ONLY for the narration, but it certainly was a big part of it. If it wasn't, then they would have no narration at all.

The current Imagineers just don't get it. There are mainly 2 types of guests at Disney - Those who could care less about this stuff and therefore don't notice it any way, and those who DO care about this stuff - Purists. Updating, rehabbing rides/attractions is OK, but once you rip the heart out, you might as well just gut the entire thing.

hpyhnt 1000

I understand, but with all the effort they put into recording an entire new narration, they could have easilly just inserted new audio in those parts, called it something else that actually stayed in theme (for example, referring to SGE as the Galactic Federation).

I also understand that they clearly wanted to unify the whole thing and thus thought an entire new narration was necessary. As mentioned in the other thread, they should have used the female voice from inside space mountain for the entire thing. It would improve the new narration 300%.

Yes, thats the other thing that I think time will help digest. We're going form the deep, powerful, authoritative voices of the previous narration to this weak, out of breath, upper register voice. The new script doesn't help either in some areas (the new EPCOT model bit is much too long, and you can hear its rushed toward the end). Its a complete 180 in terms of orator and will need some getting used to for a lot of us. :shrug:

WDWGoof07

The new narration...It's okay, judging from the YouTube video. I liked the old one better, not because of "Paging Mr. Tom Morrow..." but because of the chimes and deep voice. I'm not too keen on the new narrator. The character voices are fine in my opinion. As SirGoofy said, it sounds like Disney is still tweaking it a little, so I might change my mind when it's done.

What I do like about the upgrade is the music being played along the track (especially by Progress City), and this new lighting I keep hearing about excites me. I also like that they call it the "Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover"! And, truthfully, the narration doesn't make or break the attraction for me. It's still a relaxing ride above Tomorrowland, and it's a good thing that Disney is taking the time to plus it for those of us who appreciate its simple charm.

imagineer boy

Agreed completely. They coul've just made some new lines for SGE and Monsters and kept the rest of it the same, that would've saved a lot of time, money, and forum negativity. :lol:

But if they did redo the whole thing, I would've MUCH preferred the female voice to do the whole thing, she literally sounds like the voice of a transit system.

SirGoofy

Clearly it is, since a lot of people are fond of the former narration.

Guess what? I was fond of it too, but THINGS CHANGE. And this one isn't bad at all, in fact it's much closed to the script that was around for 23 years, much longer than the last one.

But whatever, keep being smug and defending mediocrity.

Oh the irony!:lol:

I did. Not ONLY for the narration, but it certainly was a big part of it. If it wasn't, then they would have no narration at all.

I'm going to put money down that you are in the large, large minority of guests who feel that way.

The current Imagineers just don't get it. There are mainly 2 types of guests at Disney - Those who could care less about this stuff and therefore don't notice it any way, and those who DO care about this stuff - Purists. Updating, rehabbing rides/attractions is OK, but once you rip the heart out, you might as well just gut the entire thing.

You do realize that this is much closer to the ORIGINAL People Mover...so theoretically the purists should be happy.

You just have the mindset of what you think is pure, so you think the sky is falling.

And the "Imagineers don't get it line"? Please.:rolleyes:

Skyway

Captainkidd--

By your own logic, the Imagineers who converted the Peoplemover into the TTA in 1994 "just don't get it". The attraction had run just fine for 20 years without lame jokes, loud noises, and annoying voice actors.

Captainkidd thinks they should have just gutted the Peoplemover in 1994 !!!!

Wait. I'm sorry. I misunderstood him. He said Purists care about this stuff. I'm sure a Purist would want the Peoplemover to have the same feel, the same dialog, and the same style as it did when it was a brand-spanking new attraction in the mid-70's.

Which is what they've done (as many have agreed after reading the original Jack Wagner narration).

You can't have it both ways, Captiankidd.

captainkidd

Captainkidd--

By your own logic, the Imagineers who converted the Peoplemover into the TTA in 1994 "just don't get it". The attraction had run just fine for 20 years without lame jokes, loud noises, and annoying voice actors.

Captainkidd thinks they should have just gutted the Peoplemover in 1994 !!!!

Wait. I'm sorry. I misunderstood him. He said Purists care about this stuff. I'm sure a Purist would want the Peoplemover to have the same feel, the same dialog, and the same style as it did when it was a brand-spanking new attraction in the mid-70's.

Which is what they've done (as many have agreed after reading the original Jack Wagner narration).

You can't have it both ways, Captiankidd.

I'm not quite sure how to respond since I don't even understand what you're trying to say, but I'll do my best.

Rides/attractions do need to be updated for maintenance purposes, or if they become dated. That's what Tomorrowland was becoming before 1994. It had to be done, as walking through TL looked like a stroll through the mid 70's.

It's entirely possible to remain nostalgic but stay current. There's nothing un-current about TL of today, therefore, no reason to change it.

imagineer boy

I'm not quite sure how to respond since I don't even understand what you're trying to say, but I'll do my best.

Rides/attractions do need to be updated for maintenance purposes, or if they become dated. That's what Tomorrowland was becoming before 1994. It had to be done, as walking through TL looked like a stroll through the mid 70's.

It's entirely possible to remain nostalgic but stay current. There's nothing un-current about TL of today, therefore, no reason to change it.

Agreed. I'm not sure why some on here want tomorrowland to go back to pre 94. It was incredibly dated then, and its still not "retro dated" by today's standards either.

rebecca06261

I had the chance to check out the new spiel over the weekend. My friends and I did not enjoy it but surprisingly, no one has mentioned our reason.

In the old spiel, you felt as though you were a visitor of Tomorrowland and you were actually on the TTA moving through a city called Tomorrowland which just happened to be set in the future. The dings, bells, pages, and announcements all supported the immersive experience.

The new version is a big fat commercial for Tomorrowland. The cartoonish voice of the narrator points out the attractions as you pass them. That's it. It's a complete departure from the experience that we loved so much and feels like it's trying to convince you to try out all the other attractions.

Exprcoofto

I had the chance to check out the new spiel over the weekend. My friends and I did not enjoy it but surprisingly, no one has mentioned our reason.

In the old spiel, you felt as though you were a visitor of Tomorrowland and you were actually on the TTA moving through a city called Tomorrowland which just happened to be set in the future. The dings, bells, pages, and announcements all supported the immersive experience.

The new version is a big fat commercial for Tomorrowland. The cartoonish voice of the narrator points out the attractions as you pass them. That's it. It's a complete departure from the experience that we loved so much and feels like it's trying to convince you to try out all the other attractions.

Exactly. Spot on.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tomorrowland `94 is long dead. SGE started it, TLF continued it. WDI will finish it.

gettingsmaller

Basically a copy/paste of my post on another thread. Anyone else feel this way about the introduction?
-----------------------
Okay, so I found a video on YouTube with the ORAC-1 narration. WOW--it really is similar to the newer narration.
Personally, I still favor the "Tom Morrow" narration, but the ORAC-1 narration seems superior to the new if only because of this:
"his" introduction. By the narrator introducing himself as "ORAC-1", you immediately have the feeling that you are being guided by a robot or computer of some sort, which helps to maintain the futuristic feel and the fourth wall.
The new narration (so far as we've been able to hear it) includes no such introduction, which leaves us to assume that we are being directed by some recorded, present-day, far-too-chipper, anonymous HUMAN. It just breaks the illusion for me (and isn't "illusion" part of the reason I like WDW over Six Flags?).

imagineer boy

Tomorrowland `94 is long dead. SGE started it, TLF continued it. WDI will finish it.

That's truly a shame, because Tomorrowland 94 truly was a great refurb. AE, Timekeeper, Astro Orbiter, Avenue of the Planets, Cosmic Ray's, updated TTA... it was all really well done. It would've been perfect if they'd futurized the Indy speedway, and put little more themeing in the back half of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom