Tropical Hideaway Construction - Tiki Room Refurbishment - Adventureland Entry Remodel

SSG

eiuwrfdjskl9824-624x351.jpg

Tue, October 30, 2018Rosita Flying into The Tropical Hideaway in Disneyland Park

by Michael Ramirez, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

You may have heard about The Tropical Hideaway opening later this year in Disneyland park. This new Adventureland outpost will serve as an exotic marketplace for discovering unique food and beverages. In addition to experiencing delicious tastes from all corners of the world, you’ll also encounter colorful wildlife.

After years of performing with the bird mobile chorus of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, Rosita is spreading her wings and taking flight towards a solo career. You’ll find her on the river’s edge at the loading dock waiting for her boat to arrive.

Rosita is a friendly cockatoo that looks forward to meeting travelers from around the globe who are also visiting The Tropical Hideaway. Pull up a nearby seat and say hello! But beware… she has a repertoire of jokes and one-liners that would make any Jungle Cruise Skipper proud!

We look forward to sharing more about The Tropical Hideaway on the Disney Parks Blog. Stay tuned!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
eiuwrfdjskl9824-624x351.jpg

Tue, October 30, 2018Rosita Flying into The Tropical Hideaway in Disneyland Park

by Michael Ramirez, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

You may have heard about The Tropical Hideaway opening later this year in Disneyland park. This new Adventureland outpost will serve as an exotic marketplace for discovering unique food and beverages. In addition to experiencing delicious tastes from all corners of the world, you’ll also encounter colorful wildlife.

After years of performing with the bird mobile chorus of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, Rosita is spreading her wings and taking flight towards a solo career. You’ll find her on the river’s edge at the loading dock waiting for her boat to arrive.

Rosita is a friendly cockatoo that looks forward to meeting travelers from around the globe who are also visiting The Tropical Hideaway. Pull up a nearby seat and say hello! But beware… she has a repertoire of jokes and one-liners that would make any Jungle Cruise Skipper proud!

We look forward to sharing more about The Tropical Hideaway on the Disney Parks Blog. Stay tuned!

For those that doubted there would be an AA, looks like its actually happening.

TP2000

Original Poster
Am I right in thinking the line is "Where is Rosita"? But she never appeared in the show? But the story now is she's been performing with the bird mobile chorus of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room for years? o_O

After Pierre introduces the birdmobile by saying "Introducing ze lovely ladies of ze ensemble, just like the Folies Bergeres with only feathers" and then introduces all of them by name, and they are all obviously French girls "Colette, Susette, Mimi, Fifi, Gigi,..." etc. that's when Jose speaks up and says "I wonder happened to Rosita?!?"

In an attraction filled with broad ethnic stereotypes and mass cultural appropriation, it's just one line of many that supports that witty atmosphere. And it's a very funny line that many people miss! But Rosita never appeared on the birdmobile, she'd already disappeared by the time the place opened in 1963.

But now at least we know what happened to Rosita... She went all Diana Ross on the rest of the gals on the birdmobile and flew away to start a solo career. In Rosita's defense, French girls can be... difficult. ;)

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Apparently, everything needs to be tangentially related to other things in the park. I'm not familiar with the history behind the joke, "I wonder what happened to Rosita?" Can anyone lend me some context?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Well I'm very pleased to see that there will indeed be some animatronic enhancement at the new Hideaway.
But Rosita, last I was aware, was lost in the bowels of WDW's 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad'.

I'm surprised no one here remembers that a birdcage with her name on it hung in that Attractions' redesigned queue some years ago...and maybe still does.
I honestly forgot to look when I was there this past September, but I remember fans talking about it at the time.

It was implied that poor Rosita had met her fate as one of several 'canaries in the coal mine' used by the miners there.
Several bird cages hung from a ceiling area in WDW's 'BTMR' queue and one of them bore the nameplate 'Rosita'.

So I guess now we know she survived her capture and exploitation in Florida, and flew back home.
Hmmm...
That sounds a lot like what it feels like to be a Guest visiting WDW these days....
;)

-

oo_nrb

It was implied that poor Rosita had met her fate as one of several 'canaries in the coal mine' used by the miners there. Several bird cages hung from a ceiling area in WDW's 'BTMR' queue and one of them bore the nameplate 'Rosita'. So I guess now we know she survived her capture and exploitation in Florida, and flew back home.
-

In another forgotten bit of Imagineering lore, Rosita has either been living in New Orleans Square, or perhaps she took a detour on her way back to Florida to teach some birds one of her old Glee Club's songs. This audio plays in the windows that overlook Front Street, near the Restrooms.

60-68 FRENCH QUARTER WINDOW: Tootie & the Old Lady

TP2000

Original Poster
It doesn't look like anyone posted this, and it's nothing surprising, but here's confirmation that Tropical Hideaway will have Dole Whips, via FBD:

Okay, the "Dole Whip, I Presume" sign is very clever.

For the young'uns here.... It's a nod to the old Sunkist, I Presume juice bar that used to be located in Adventureland in the 1960's through 1980's, which was a funny take on the famous "Dr. Livingstone, I Presume" line when the Scottish explorer was found in the 1870's after years of living amongst the tribesmen in the African outback.

CTCT_1963_N05R_d1.jpg

Figments Friend

Looking forward to seeing how this space comes together in it's completed form.
I've been interested in seeing the end result.

Seems so far to be a promising new edition that will add something useful and thematically appealing to an already terrific area.
Will definitely be stopping by to check it out next month.

Very pleased with the AA addition to the space, as hoped for.
Here's hoping the food offerings, setting, and seating areas are just as pleasing.
This has the potential to be a favorite spot...
:)

-

jmuboy

Looking forward to seeing how this space comes together in it's completed form.
I've been interested in seeing the end result.

Seems so far to be a promising new edition that will add something useful and thematically appealing to an already terrific area.
Will definitely be stopping by to check it out next month.

Very pleased with the AA addition to the space, as hoped for.
Here's hoping the food offerings, setting, and seating areas are just as pleasing.
This has the potential to be a favorite spot...
:)

-

It'll help make up for the strip mall that is the queue line of Tiki Room now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom