Tropical Hideaway Construction - Tiki Room Refurbishment - Adventureland Entry Remodel

Old Mouseketeer

Have you even been to the Magic Kingdom? Or even easier, have you even looked at a single picture of the Magic Kingdom? Their mansion is not even remotely Victorian. It is a supposed to be a New England mansion (hence part of Liberty Square) with dutch gothic revival architecture.

Actually, gothic revival architecture is very much Victorian (see Palace of Westminster/Houses of Parliament).

From Wikipedia:
The Gothic Revival movement emerged in 19th-century England.
< snip >
In parallel to the ascendancy of neo-Gothic styles in 19th-century England, interest spread rapidly to the continent of Europe, in Australia, Sierra Leone, South Africa and to the Americas; the 19th and early 20th centuries saw the construction of very large numbers of Gothic Revival and Carpenter Gothic structures worldwide.

dweezil78

Actually, gothic revival architecture is very much Victorian (see Palace of Westminster/Houses of Parliament).

From Wikipedia:

Ok sure, from a technical POV, yes -- that style of architecture is from the Victorian era (if we're getting uber technical, that really just means when Queen Victoria was in power). But it's hardly what people associate when speaking about Victorian architecture.

Old Mouseketeer

Ok sure, from a technical POV, yes -- that style of architecture is from the Victorian era (if we're getting uber technical, that really just means when Queen Victoria was in power). But it's hardly what people associate when speaking about Victorian architecture.
Huh? There's nothing "uber technical" about it. And what people associate with "Victorian" really depends on what "People" you are talking to and where in the world. There are a host of styles associated with the term "Victorian architecture", largely historic revivals. Now, technically, Gothic revival did have roots going back to the 1700s and really gained steam just prior to Victoria's reign. But it was quite influential throughout her years as queen and beyond.

180º

Speak for yourself. One could argue that Gothic Revival is more quintessentially Victorian than Queen Anne/Italianate. Armchair Imagineers often hear “Victorian” and just picture Eddie Sotto’s drawings for DLP, but it may surprise you to hear how specific that misconception is to Disney fan forums.

Phroobar

New concept art!!!

dizzneeland23-700x394.png

dweezil78

Speak for yourself. One could argue that Gothic Revival is more quintessentially Victorian than Queen Anne/Italianate. Armchair Imagineers often hear “Victorian” and just picture Eddie Sotto’s drawings for DLP, but it may surprise you to hear how specific that misconception is to Disney fan forums.

I’m not going to get hung up on it one way or another. If you want to call MK’s mansion Victorian, then Victorian it is!

Old Mouseketeer

I’m not going to get hung up on it one way or another. If you want to call MK’s mansion Victorian, then Victorian it is!

Well, I think the better question is what were the influences for this design? Were mansions of this size and style in the Hudson River Valley built in the late 18th century, or more in the mid-19th? That's really what places it more in the Victorian category. My assumption has always been that the style of this mansion was a bit of a cheat on the Imagineers' part. Gothic Revival is more creepy looking than a colonial mansion. I mean, Mt. Vernon or Monticello are just not that scary! LOL

Have there been actual buildings identified that were the influences for the design of MK's Mansion?

britain

Well, I think the better question is what were the influences for this design? Were mansions of this size and style in the Hudson River Valley built in the late 18th century, or more in the mid-19th? That's really what places it more in the Victorian category. My assumption has always been that the style of this mansion was a bit of a cheat on the Imagineers' part. Gothic Revival is more creepy looking than a colonial mansion. I mean, Mt. Vernon or Monticello are just not that scary! LOL

Have there been actual buildings identified that were the influences for the design of MK's Mansion?

Oh boy! To answer your question so much more, let me introduce you to passport2dreams ! Beware though, once you go in you might find it so enriching and engrossing that you may never return!

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2013/10/raising-or-lowering-dead.html

dweezil78

To add to @britain's post, I was just curious tonight and doing a little digging at what might be nearby Philadelphia that could actually be linked to 'Liberty Square' (many claim Mansion is supposed to be Upstate NY, whatever) and I found this creepy old castle, Fonthill Castle, about an hour away... Obviously not a dead ringer architechtually (no pun intended!) and I've never once seen it referenced as an inspiration, but it definitely gives me similar vibes!

Fonthill-exterior-Nic-Barlow-2000x830.jpg

As for upstate NY... Lyndhurst right outside of Sleepy Hollow (of all places!) kinda seems pretty perfect too, eh?
http://visitsleepyhollow.com/historic-sites/lyndhurst/

Lyndhurst_mansion_tarrytown.jpg

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

And as much grief that Sleeping Beauty Castle gets for it's size, I am glad we can not see it from all over the park compared to that monstrosity in MK. Let's take the Haunted Mansion in both parks for examples. once I enter the yard of the Mansion in DISNEYLAND to me that is where the rid experience starts. I am full immersed that I am in a yard of a house. I would lose that immersion if I could see a giant *** castle. where as in MK the mansion is right next to the castle. so you have this Victoria era run down mansion next to a giant fantasy castle that can be seen from the que of the ride it ruins any immersion. Haunted Mansion in DISNEYLAND fits perfect into NEW ORLEANS SQUARE I don't even know what land the MK mansion is supposed to be in since it is right next to a giant castle. the castle in Disneyland is perfect the way it is.

So I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've never been to Magic Kingdom?

You can't see the castle from anywhere near Haunted Mansion, or really anywhere on that side of the park. You seem to have a lot of rage over something that isn't remotely true.

Edit: Saw your retraction, thanks to others pointing out the same. Carry on.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom