TRON Lightcycle Overlay coming to WDW Monorails

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No they don't hate Disney World but they don't love Disney World either. What they love is a mental image of the resort they have created in their mnids where everything is perfect and nothing ever becomes irrelevant and stale. In effect, they hate change so its easier to create a happy place in their mind where they can retreat to when outside factors threaten their reality. We all do this to some degree or another as it is a coping mechanism. Its kind of like remembering High School as the best time of your life some 25 years later. However, if you could go back, most people would find it much more difficult than they now remember.

On a movie board somewhere, the same kind of bashing is probalby occurring by the Tron purists who are inferring a lot of things form the couple of minutes of video that have been released. Its a sequel, so to speak, but after 30 years, this movie has to stand on its own to attract a new broader audience.

If Disney doesnt continue to attract and amaze a new generation of guests as time passses, the parks and entertianment will become irrelevant to an ever growing segemnt of the population.

Hate Disney World? Who are you referring to exactly?

Disliking a tacky overlay on the monorail is not exactly clinging to nostalgia. I wish they would give us whole new paint schemes on them, I just do not want to see oversized billboards for a movie zipping around the parks. You are playing armchair psychologist, but you are completely missing the mark.

niteobsrvr

Hate Disney World? Who are you referring to exactly?

Disliking a tacky overlay on the monorail is not exactly clinging to nostalgia. I wish they would give us whole new paint schemes on them, I just do not want to see oversized billboards for a movie zipping around the parks. You are playing armchair psychologist, but you are completely missing the mark.

Please refer to post #164 and see that the comment was in response to someone else.

niteobsrvr

Wow, thanks for telling me what I think. Up to this point, I was so unsure. :rolleyes:

Your theory might make sense if there weren't countless situations and decisions that can be pointed to that simply show that the parks aren't managed the way they used to be. And that's what a lot of us are bothered by... Not if Mr. Toad isn't there anymore. Not if they don't bring back the canoes or keepboats on ROA. That's not what it's about for a large number of people. It's about not being satisfied with mediocrity.

And I'm not trying to derail the thread into another discussion about this... I just don't like when I'm told what I think or how I feel, or what classification I belong in. I feel justified when I criticize (which isn't all the time), and it's not based on nostalgia.

Anyway... I stand by what I said re: the overlay. I don't really care either way... I just don't think it's right to do it 9 MONTHS before the movie comes out. A couple months early? Sure.

I think you are singling yourself out here. My post was just a general observation of examples of some of the posts that are made on many disney fan sights as well as some of what I see in the parks.

Krack

Meh. I'd prefer the overlay not be there, but if I can survive the birthday cake castle, I can surely survive the Tron overlay monorail for 12 months. And I'm one of the ones excited about the new movie (the trailers look great).

What constantly-two-steps-behind WDW should be doing is prepping a Tron ride right now so that if this thing hits, they can get a ride operational in the park six months later. I'm sure they'll do their typical "never get around to it" (LOST) or "look at our exciting new attraction of something that used to be red hot, but nobody cares about anymore" (American Idol). This movie is gonna be a huge hit - if they had any forward thinking, they'd be ripping Stich out right now so they can use the building for Tron.

All that said, people like the monorail to look like they have for almost 40 years (just like the castle); there's no need to antagonize people when there are plenty of other places that they could advertise Tron with minimal annoyance.

niteobsrvr

I don't have an issue with the celebrations going on at WDW. My feeling is, it's all in the spirit of the occasion. Guests are already there. To whom and what are they advertising? I've always seen it like Christmas decorations they put up.

Yeah, the inside of the buses has been overdone. But putting a 12x24 inch poster up inside a bus is a far cry from painting an entire monorail on the outside to coincide with a movie.

One rule of advertising is to focus a portion of your effort on your current clients when rolling out a new product because they already have a brand affinity. Once you have that groups attention, word of mouth kicks in and travels your message to their freinds and family. Your message has a little more impact to these "new" people because it is coming from a trusted source. Who better to get pumped up about Tron, than your park visitors?

Buried20KLeague

I think you are singling yourself out here. My post was just a general observation of examples of some of the posts that are made on many disney fan sights as well as some of what I see in the parks.

On the contrary... You made a generalized analysis about people that make any complaints against WDW.

If that's not what you meant, you should have been clearer. I felt "lumped". I don't like being "lumped". :lol:

I'd agree that there are many that DO base their views on nostalgia - sometimes putting rationale aside - but a very good number of "us" have perfectly logical and rational reasoning behind our views, and can even point to numerous unarguable examples to back us up.

I praise when they deserve praise (HM, HoP) and I complain when they deserve complaints (LoW, SM). I think many more people fall into that category than get credit.

hokielutz

Coincidentally, TRON was playing on some of the cable channels last week in the late evening hours..... I set the DVR to record, and watched it the next evening.

I never knew that a couple of days later at the Alice in Wonderland show... I would see the TRON Legacy trailer. How awesome!

With regards to the monorail.... change is a good thing, and its better that we can relax and know this will only be temporary. Those Mark VI Monorails have been running for almost 20 years, and since we don't have a new set of trains coming anytime soon, a little face-lift on the facades should be welcome.

niteobsrvr

On the contrary... You made a generalized analysis about people that make any complaints against WDW.

Again you need to see post 164 so that my post is taken in the context in which it was written.

I'd agree that there are many that DO base their views on nostalgia - sometimes putting rationale aside - but a very good number of "us" have perfectly logical and rational reasoning behind our views, and can even point to numerous unarguable examples to back us up..

Whether or not something is unarguable is a matter of perspective. However, I will say that Studios did not need a Giant Hat in order to be the center piece of the 100 years of Magic Celebration. But, on the other hand, they did need something. Unfortunately under florida building code there is no way they could have erected any kind of temporary structure because there is a time limit on such facilities and the celebration far outlasted that limit. So, again, its perspective. You almost can't sneeze in your backyard in Florida without a permit.

markjohns1

Don't you all see what's happening here? First, they put ads on buses, monorails, and other modes of transportation. Next thing you know, that advertising will bleed into the parks. Characters, icons, and logos will start to creep onto merchandise. They'll try to get us to be walking ads for them. Then they'll start making ads out of entire attractions! Could you imagine seeing Peter Pan plastered all over some ride? They will probably stop caring if it's Disney-related, instead opting for money-related! Could you imagine Star Wars or Indiana Jones? I have never even seen those movies but I don't like them for some reason! I can't believe I'm saying this, but they might even change the food to be shaped like characters, literally shoving their advertising down our throats! I hope you all enjoy visiting your Disney Logorama on vacation. You all asked for it!

...What constantly-two-steps-behind WDW should be doing is prepping a Tron ride right now so that if this thing hits, they can get a ride operational in the park six months later. I'm sure they'll do their typical "never get around to it" (LOST) or "look at our exciting new attraction of something that used to be red hot, but nobody cares about anymore" (American Idol). This movie is gonna be a huge hit - if they had any forward thinking, they'd be ripping Stich out right now so they can use the building for Tron...
Tron is planned for a trilogy, which will be determined based on the success of Tron Legacy. It's really not that important to construct a ride at this point given its uncertain reception. It is a shame Disney can't be like Universal, though, with their timely addition of Harry Potter, which is coming to us 3 years after the book series concluded and a year before the 8-part movie series concludes.

In other words, I love the overlay.

Little Princess

as far as I have heard, this will only be done on 2 trains, and will only be on the epcot line.... which, of course, offers maximum exposure on the trains..

Now.. it's march.... About that new 12th train.........
/crosses fingers. Where did you hear this, if I may ask?

I'm staying at the Poly in june, trying to relive riding the monorail, but I dont think I'll have that same "wow" factor when I see they've tampered with possibly my favorite thing ever (we havent stayed at a monorail resort since then).

...It's not even a cool looking design... :( I hate the logo, too.

Vernonpush

I'm really afraid this will start a trend. Will they start doing this for every big Disney movie?

I normally don't mind in-park advertising, but the monorails are really iconic. It's like slapping a billboard on Cinderella Castle. (ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still)

At least it won't be all the monorails. How many monorails are usually on the Epcot line?

Like they did for the Stitch attraction opening?
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...l=en&sa=N&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enUS269US269&tbs=isch:1

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Don't you all see what's happening here? First, they put ads on buses, monorails, and other modes of transportation. Next thing you know, that advertising will bleed into the parks. Characters, icons, and logos will start to creep onto merchandise. They'll try to get us to be walking ads for them. Then they'll start making ads out of entire attractions! Could you imagine seeing Peter Pan plastered all over some ride? They will probably stop caring if it's Disney-related, instead opting for money-related! Could you imagine Star Wars or Indiana Jones? I have never even seen those movies but I don't like them for some reason! I can't believe I'm saying this, but they might even change the food to be shaped like characters, literally shoving their advertising down our throats! I hope you all enjoy visiting your Disney Logorama on vacation. You all asked for it!

Tron is planned for a trilogy, which will be determined based on the success of Tron Legacy. It's really not that important to construct a ride at this point given its uncertain reception. It is a shame Disney can't be like Universal, though, with their timely addition of Harry Potter, which is coming to us 3 years after the book series concluded and a year before the 8-part movie series concludes.

In other words, I love the overlay.

Um, this post was not nearly as clever as you believe it was.

You could not be more wrong about WWoHP either. The last two movies are poised to blow away the Box Office numbers of the first 6 movies, and to have that kind of push coinciding with the opening of WWoHP is perfect timing.

Furthermore, to compare Harry Potter to Tron is truely ridiculous. Tron was a mildly successful sci-fi movie 20 years ago. With a sequel coming out that has a very small built in audience. HP is a huge worldwide cultural phenomenon.

Lastly the overlay is ugly.

jt04

Giant? They're about 2x3 feet. They cover about 1/100 of the bus. And they're not a god awful eye sore. Slightly different from a monorail being 100% changed, wouldn't you say?

Yes but it's only temporary. I just keep picturing the light cycle circling Future World.

And I think this is being squarely marketed at kids who I think will be impressed by the graphics much more than any monorail traditionalists around here. It's a great concept and I normally don't think highly of marketing gimmicks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom