TRON Lightcycle Overlay coming to WDW Monorails

RoRo

Just tell them to watch the 1982 film. Then mention the upcoming film once they watched it. Let's see how many turn to geekdom. :D

I did tell them there is going to be a new film, no one really cares :brick: :lol:. This is coming from people who don't care about story or theme and only care for how big and fast.

PurpleRose

Again, I have to state that the only people that would like this is people that are fans of tron. And to who said tron was futuristic, its not futuristic, its the world in a computer, technically its common day, just in a computer.

It is a world in a computer which in 1982, was very futuristic. And I am sure the TRON Legacy will be just as futuristic as it was then.

jt04

Again, I have to state that the only people that would like this is people that are fans of tron. And to who said tron was futuristic, its not futuristic, its the world in a computer, technically its common day, just in a computer.

I'm not a Tron fan as I've never seen the original completely yet I appreciate this marketing concept for it's creativeness and imagination. So I have to state that you are wrong.

Plus it's quite futuristic as computers are always advancing and hardly function in the same manner as they did in 1982. They are constantly being "futurized" so you are wrong about that too. With all due respect.:wave:

_Scar

I did tell them there is going to be a new film, no one really cares :brick: :lol:. This is coming from people who don't care about story or theme and only care for how big and fast.

They'd love Alice in Wonderland then...

OUCH, sorry. Couldn't resist. :lookaroun:eek:

Olijimcha

Don't mind the idea of the overlay, the blue bike doesn't look as good imo but may stand out better in the flesh. BTW Tron was quite a movie for it's time - I expect the appeal was limited back then because computers & video gaming as per the movie were a limited audience.

It is a world in a computer which in 1982, was very futuristic. And I am sure the TRON Legacy will be just as futuristic as it was then.

I'm not a Tron fan as I've never seen the original completely yet I . So I have to state that you are wrong.

Plus it's quite futuristic as computers are always advancing and hardly function in the same manner as they did in 1982. They are constantly being "futurized" so you are wrong about that too. With all due respect.:wave:

Guess you guys clearly know more than me. Just because its a computer, and "technology" does not make it futuristic. And you dont appreciate "this marketing concept for it's creativeness and imagination", you praise it cause its "tron". If they slapped the same color scheme and put a character on it, you would be bashing it.

Clearly the Tron fanboys, and the in denial fanboys are getting what they want. Good for them, but this is just disgusting, hopefully as many have said this doesn't create a pattern of monorail billboards.

jt04

Guess you guys clearly know more than me. Just because its a computer, and "technology" does not make it futuristic. And you dont appreciate "this marketing concept for it's creativeness and imagination", you praise it cause its "tron". If they slapped the same color scheme and put a character on it, you would be bashing it.

Clearly the Tron fanboys, and the in denial fanboys are getting what they want. Good for them, but this is just disgusting, hopefully as many have said this doesn't create a pattern of monorail billboards.

Please don't tell me what I think. You not nearly as smart as you think you are. I certainly do not praise it because it's tron. That is foolishness. :lol:

goreesha

People, the look of the monorails is not "iconic." You only think that because you can't escape your childhood memories of Disney World. The parks need to change. Walt liked change. Change is good. Things don't always need to look the way they looked in the 70s or 80s or early 90s. This isn't the replacing of a good ride with an inferior ride. That sort of complaining I can understand. This is just an overlay on the monorails. Something new to look at.

And those of you complaining about advertising in the parks, you all can't possibly be that dim. Disneyland itself was launched as a big cross-promotion with Disney TV and movies. There's been advertising in the parks from day one. Heck, the "lands" were themed to the various genres of movies Disney produced at the time.

In other news, Tron is awesome. Tron has been awesome since 1982. The old Peoplemover Tron attraction in Disneyland was great, and it's exciting that they are bringing Tron back to the parks, even if its just an overlay. More, I say it.

Phonedave

Well if Tron Legacy doesn't work we could try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNM0H0zWIOU&feature=related

Yes - No?

Every time I hear Tron described as "being sucked into a computer" I can t help think of that scene in Strange Brew in the break room at the Elsinore Brewery.

And yes, I did see the original Tron. In fact I know WHERE I saw it as well (Cedar Lane Theaters in Teaneck NJ) and we had the Tron game in the local 7-11. That whole part that was like breakout where you had to enter the MPC core was pretty lame.

I think they should bring back The Black Hole. Can you picture a big 'ol Maximillion walking around the parks with his built in Robo-Copue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1dkS3J_Fo0

Nobody would try and high-five him during a parade.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Good for Disney to be creative and from a concept standpoint monorail and lightcycle go together like peas and carrots. But if the execution looks anything like the photoshop that was posted, I think it's pretty fugly.

-dave

PalisadesPkteer

Do you think the Black Hole had or has enough of a following to have an other movie or theme park attraction. The movie was 1979?

Maybe release the old one in 3D would help? What does everyone else think?

lazyboy97o

People, the look of the monorails is not "iconic." You only think that because you can't escape your childhood memories of Disney World. The parks need to change. Walt liked change. Change is good. Things don't always need to look the way they looked in the 70s or 80s or early 90s. This isn't the replacing of a good ride with an inferior ride. That sort of complaining I can understand. This is just an overlay on the monorails. Something new to look at.
Change for change's sake is not a good reason for change. I just do not see anything original or creative in this. This same get up could easily be applied to any of the buses and work just the same.

I think they should bring back The Black Hole. Can you picture a big 'ol Maximillion walking around the parks with his built in Robo-Copue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1dkS3J_Fo0

Nobody would try and high-five him during a parade.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Good for Disney to be creative and from a concept standpoint monorail and lightcycle go together like peas and carrots. But if the execution looks anything like the photoshop that was posted, I think it's pretty fugly.

-dave
Do you think the Black Hole had or has enough of a following to have an other movie or theme park attraction. The movie was 1979?

Maybe release the old one in 3D would help? What does everyone else think?
A remake of The Black Hole is in preproduction. It is Kosinski's project after he finishes up with TRON: Legacy.

Crazy Harry

I challenge your assumption that people are defending it just because they are tron fans. We are all disney fans, and certainly do not defend all of the descisions being made. Many star wars fans did not defend the prequels just because they were star wars fans.

Tron fans, or at least people who are familiar with tron, generally like this because they understand the creativeness behind it. As have said a few times, and will continue to say, the "light cycles" in the movies leave a colored trail behind them. With the light cycle at the front of the monorail, it will look as though a trail is being created. So yes, it is creative beyond the creative use of inexpensive, mobile advertisement. Looking at it in this context, it is much different than just slapping a character on the side of a monorail.

lilclerk

I've never seen TRON but I am excited to see these Tronorails. It'll be nice to see something different. IMO, compared to Disneyland's monorails, WDW's are kinda dull. :lookaroun

The Black Hole, on the other hand, was the most ridiculous movie I've ever seen, though Vincent was pretty awesome.

GeneralZod

THIS IS INFURIATING!!! I have now completely changed my mind about this in seeing all the Disney fans on here that hate change in all form especially when trying to promote a potentially cool futuristic movie on a futurist mode of transportation! We need to immediately initiate a boycott of all WDW property from April 22-April 30th! Not a day before or a day after! Let's show them! Let's show them with empty lines to Pirates, Splash, and Soarin'! Let's show them with no ADR's so that all restaurants are walk-ups!

This horrible tragedy of...I can barely type this out due to my anger...painting a lightcycle, that could be very cool when in motion since it obviously will not look like the amateur Photoshop job,on two monoroils for the purpose of promoting a movie must not go unpunished!

Insect

THIS IS INFURIATING!!! I have now completely changed my mind about this in seeing all the Disney fans on here that hate change in all form especially when trying to promote a potentially cool futuristic movie on a futurist mode of transportation! We need to immediately initiate a boycott of all WDW property from April 22-April 30th! Not a day before or a day after! Let's show them! Let's show them with empty lines to Pirates, Splash, and Soarin'! Let's show them with no ADR's so that all restaurants are walk-ups!

This horrible tragedy of...I can barely type this out due to my anger...painting a lightcycle, that could be very cool when in motion since it obviously will not look like the amateur Photoshop job,on two monoroils for the purpose of promoting a movie must not go unpunished!

I totaly agree lets (wink wink) lets do it :lookaroun

WDWExplorer

Banned
Apparently the nose cone/ cab sections are PAINTED and that is not an overlay.... everything else will be overlays.. they'll have to be re-painted when this is over with....

The paint on the nose sections makes cleaning the trains easier... and they won't wear on the overlays...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom