TRON Lightcycle Overlay coming to WDW Monorails

GeneralZod

I hope people that think this is such a "cool idea" will be as responsive when Disney starts plastering advertisements all over Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle and the Tree of Life. Never gonna happen you say? Too iconic you say? What would you call the monorails?

This is just the beginning folks. Buses, boats, ferries - All soon will look like minor league baseball parks.

Wow...likening a marriage of two technologies for the purpose of promoting a movie to slapping a billboard on the tree of life seems to me to be a little childish. If you seriously don't understand the difference between the two then maybe you just need someone to explain it to you.

I myself think it COULD BE cool, but I will certainly keep an open mind (either way) until I see some decent conceptual depictions and not some amateur Photoshop hacks. Looks at it this way, maybe the Monorails will help generate more interest and revenue to necessitate a new attraction (which would still be complained about on this site).

this board needs to be renamed wdwbashing.com
Couldn't agree more. Hey, I understand complaining about declining quality and bad decisions, but jeez...it seems like most of the people on this site hate Walt Disney World.

niteobsrvr

Couldn't agree more. Hey, I understand complaining about declining quality and bad decisions, but jeez...it seems like most of the people on this site hate Walt Disney World.

No they don't hate Disney World but they don't love Disney World either. What they love is a mental image of the resort they have created in their mnids where everything is perfect and nothing ever becomes irrelevant and stale. In effect, they hate change so its easier to create a happy place in their mind where they can retreat to when outside factors threaten their reality. We all do this to some degree or another as it is a coping mechanism. Its kind of like remembering High School as the best time of your life some 25 years later. However, if you could go back, most people would find it much more difficult than they now remember.

On a movie board somewhere, the same kind of bashing is probalby occurring by the Tron purists who are inferring a lot of things form the couple of minutes of video that have been released. Its a sequel, so to speak, but after 30 years, this movie has to stand on its own to attract a new broader audience.

If Disney doesnt continue to attract and amaze a new generation of guests as time passses, the parks and entertianment will become irrelevant to an ever growing segemnt of the population.

PurpleDragon

Advertising means extra income for the parks for improvements, upgrades, and maintenance. No matter how you slice it thats not a bad thing. If Disney corp wants to cut the budget for WDW parks then it makes sense that they try to find other means to increase their budget to keep the parks up to par.

Not saying that they are going to get tons of money from this, it could just be a cooperation between WDW parks and the Disney films marketing department. But either way its a potential source of extra income in the future to help fund all the new wonderful additions we are all so desperate to see at WDW.

Guess I'm the only optimist here that sees past a vinyl wrapping on a monorail train and can look at the bigger picture. :shrug:

Obviously I'm not saying they should slap a billboard on the Castle or SSE, but having some tasteful advertising around the parks for extra income isn't a bad thing. I look at this along the same lines of having those silly McDonalds fry carts that usd to be in the parks, I'm sure McD's paid out the wazoo for those tiny little carts but hey its extra money in the hands of WDW parks management to put back into park improvements and to keep ticket prices from going up.

s8film40

I normally don't like the monorail overlays but I'm not too upset over this one.

Fist of all it is more fitting, monorails are futuristic and Tron is a futuristic movie as well. This sure beats the Stitch and YOAMD overlays. Secondly it seems to be a better design than others in the past, it covers the entire train and the light cycle with the long streak fits the shape of the monorail well. Also it is promoting a movie rather than a year long event that turns out to be two years. So it should be fairly temporary. Also since they are painting the monorail when they decide to put this monorail back to it's original state it means a monorail (Coral specifically) will get a much needed repaint.

Eyorefan

I am confused by how people can decided if this overlay is ugly or not when it hasn't even happened yet.

Personally, I have never seen Tron. I may or may not see the new movie.

To me, photoshoped picture looks a little off, but that is because its a photoshoped picture. I'm reserving any real judgement until I see some real photos.

PurpleDragon

Its funny to see these people praising this obviously horrible idea. But i guess love (in this case fandom) is blind.

How is this an "obviously horrible idea"? Its a temporary promotion of an upcoming Disney movie. Its call advertising, its this newfangled idea where companies spread information about an upcoming event. I hear a lot of companies are doing it these days. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also I love how so many people here are promoting double standards. Buses are used all the time for promotions, every single resort bus is covered inside and out with billboards and advertisements about Disney shows, movies, and attractions. But don't dare touch a monorail, cause its different............somehow.:brick:

Rinx

So f-ing stupid!!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! :brick::brick:

P.S. It's going to make the pepto-bismol castle look really good.

captainkidd

How is this an "obviously horrible idea"? Its a temporary promotion of an upcoming Disney movie. Its call advertising, its this newfangled idea where companies spread information about an upcoming event. I hear a lot of companies are doing it these days. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also I love how so many people here are promoting double standards. Buses are used all the time for promotions, every single resort bus is covered inside and out with billboards and advertisements about Disney shows, movies, and attractions. But don't dare touch a monorail, cause its different............somehow.:brick:

Can anyone provide a pic of these mysterious buses with billboard advertisements on the outside? In 20+ trips, I've never seen one. I don't consider the painting of balloons for WWYC advertising. Anybody who sees those buses is already there.

If they started covering the outside of buses with billboards, I'd be mortified.

s8film40

After looking at the artwork more closely the bellows between the cars look black like the Las Vegas monorail. Will be interesting to see if they switch them out, it would make sense the silver ones would break up the image.

Buried20KLeague

No they don't hate Disney World but they don't love Disney World either. What they love is a mental image of the resort they have created in their mnids where everything is perfect and nothing ever becomes irrelevant and stale. In effect, they hate change so its easier to create a happy place in their mind where they can retreat to when outside factors threaten their reality. We all do this to some degree or another as it is a coping mechanism. Its kind of like remembering High School as the best time of your life some 25 years later. However, if you could go back, most people would find it much more difficult than they now remember.

On a movie board somewhere, the same kind of bashing is probalby occurring by the Tron purists who are inferring a lot of things form the couple of minutes of video that have been released. Its a sequel, so to speak, but after 30 years, this movie has to stand on its own to attract a new broader audience.

If Disney doesnt continue to attract and amaze a new generation of guests as time passses, the parks and entertianment will become irrelevant to an ever growing segemnt of the population.

Wow, thanks for telling me what I think. Up to this point, I was so unsure. :rolleyes:

Your theory might make sense if there weren't countless situations and decisions that can be pointed to that simply show that the parks aren't managed the way they used to be. And that's what a lot of us are bothered by... Not if Mr. Toad isn't there anymore. Not if they don't bring back the canoes or keepboats on ROA. That's not what it's about for a large number of people. It's about not being satisfied with mediocrity.

And I'm not trying to derail the thread into another discussion about this... I just don't like when I'm told what I think or how I feel, or what classification I belong in. I feel justified when I criticize (which isn't all the time), and it's not based on nostalgia.

Anyway... I stand by what I said re: the overlay. I don't really care either way... I just don't think it's right to do it 9 MONTHS before the movie comes out. A couple months early? Sure.

PurpleDragon

I can't find a picture but in years past they have had buses with vinyl wraps on them advertising various occasions/events (I'll try to find you a picture if I can get one). And I don't think anyone here will disagree on the overabundance of advertising inside the buses.

captainkidd

I can't find a picture but in years past they have had buses with vinyl wraps on them advertising various occasions/events (I'll try to find you a picture if I can get one). And I don't think anyone here will disagree on the overabundance of advertising inside the buses.

I don't have an issue with the celebrations going on at WDW. My feeling is, it's all in the spirit of the occasion. Guests are already there. To whom and what are they advertising? I've always seen it like Christmas decorations they put up.

Yeah, the inside of the buses has been overdone. But putting a 12x24 inch poster up inside a bus is a far cry from painting an entire monorail on the outside to coincide with a movie.

PurpleDragon

But putting a 12x24 inch poster up inside a bus is a far cry from painting an entire monorail on the outside to coincide with a movie.

How so? Its still an advertisement for a Disney movie or product. Where the ad is placed is irrelevant. Buses/trains/cars/etc... all over the world are used as moving billboards on a daily basis, so why should the monorails be an exception?

captainkidd

How so? Its still an advertisement for a Disney movie or product. Where the ad is placed is irrelevant. Buses/trains/cars/etc... all over the world are used as moving billboards on a daily basis, so why should the monorails be an exception?

I don't know. I'm just not as bothered by little posters inside of the buses. I don't think I'd even be bothered by posters inside of monorails. But to change the entire exterior of a monorail just seems a bit much to me. I think of the monorail as being an icon like the castle, SSE, tree of life, etc. I didn't like the balloons on the outside either, but it wasn't as over the top and in your face as this is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom