TRON Lightcycle Overlay coming to WDW Monorails

Rinx

I'm not going to go through 14 pages of posts and read them all to see if it's been posted so here is what I know.

Coral is in shop and will be the first monorail with TRON. It is not a wrap, it's an actual paint job.

Monorail 12, when completed (needs one more cab) will be the other TRON monorail.

hpyhnt 1000

I'm not going to go through 14 pages of posts and read them all to see if it's been posted so here is what I know.

Coral is in shop and will be the first monorail with TRON. It is not a wrap, it's an actual paint job.

Monorail 12, when completed (needs one more cab) will be the other TRON monorail.

Is it really? I can guess that makes sense considering the whole train is getting the makeover, but how much is this gimmick costing then? It can't be cheap to cover 2 entire trains in paint and then undo it 10 months later...

Can't say I like this advertising technique, but at least its only temporary.

SMRT-1

I don't think getting run over by the Tronorail could get me pumped for that movie.:hurl:

why do you care anyways..will you be visiting WDW during this time? is this going to "ruin your vacation"? seriously? the monorail is a mode of transportation like any of the other modes of transportation on property. it's not like this is a permanent change. what this will do is create some buzz about the movie...i would love to see this movie become the next big franchise....or are you happy with princess and stitch excess?

and no..your ridiculous statements about ad's on the castle ain't gonna happen.

HMF

:ROFLOL:
Let's all go back to the seventies or early eighties when everything was perfect.
Let's back up a bit here. I first went to WDW in the late 90s. I was not alive for the 70s and early 80s. However in the past few years I have seen Disney's quality go down immensely. Same Generic stuff everywhere' tacky decorations and pointless Celebrations. The parks being stripped of their individuality put under the generic "Disney Parks" logo. Epcot totally lose it's focus. Please don't assume that people who expect better from Disney want it to stay trapped in the 70s and 80s. Nothing could be further from the truth.

JungleTrekFan

I think this a very smart idea from Disney's point of view. A; because it goes thru 1/2 of EPCOT, along World Drive and to the TTC which is a lot of people to easily advertise to. B; Tron is futuristic (like monorails) and actually fits thematically in Future World. C; for a local like me its going to be nice for a change of pace seeing a "Tronorail" rather then the usual monorails. And D; its only 2 monorails on the epcot line, its not that big a deal for all who dislike it, (even though so far all they showed was a conceptual picture and none of you have seen the final product, so you cant judge).

HMF

I hope people that think this is such a "cool idea" will be as responsive when Disney starts plastering advertisements all over Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle and the Tree of Life.
Disney would never do anything like that?
epcot2.jpg

Would they?

Rinx

Is it really? I can guess that makes sense considering the whole train is getting the makeover, but how much is this gimmick costing then? It can't be cheap to cover 2 entire trains in paint and then undo it 10 months later...

Can't say I like this advertising technique, but at least its only temporary.

I forget exactly who, either the producers or some company with the movie (not Disney), is covering the costs of the paint job to the TRON cycle AND to repaint Coral once the promotion is over. So, basically, Coral is getting a free paint job in December when all is said and done.

Not sure on the other train but my assumption would say the same thing as for Coral.

enoe01

Wow I mean really, omg this is just stupid. It is 2 monorails that will eventually get new paint jobs when the Tron overlay is done. This could be a good thing, maybe they will repaint all the monorails. I know for my family and I this will not ruin our vacations. :brick:

mickey2008.1

im one of the old timers, and as much as i like tradition, it will be kind of cool to see two trains look different. at least i will be able to say i saw them, and then make my judgement. At first i didnt like the idea, but reading posts, i have an open mind. Disney needs to experiment with things, thats how things get tried, reviewed, and approved or thrown to the wind. The great things remain, the others dissappear.

Crazy Harry

I suppose it is just a taste issue. I do not like the look of this overlay. I also find it very hard to believe the paint scheme will create anything close to the illusion of the light cycles.

A Tron ride is not coming to the parks. Unless I am way off in my feel for this franchise. It just does not have anything to excite the masses. It is a sequel to a decades old movie, that was only mildly successful to begin with. I realize the old Disney Films regime spent a fortune on this movie, and now they have to push the marketing to hopefully get to a break even point. I just do not see it having the popularity to justify a presence in the parks.

Don't forget the context of the time in which the film was made. Disney was not relavent to the younger folk. Disney was not considered "cool" back in the 80's. Also, the concept was foreign to most people. So Tron had a few things working against it. And although it did not make as much as expected, it still pulled in twice as much as it cost to make. Now, however, we live in an age of computers, and where disney is rather relavent on a multigenerational level, with movie properties such as Pirates and the pixar films. Also, tron has something very good going for it, it is visually very appealing IMO. That's all some films need. After all, did anyone know what Avatar was about before they saw it, or just thought it looked cool.

And because Tron is so old, I do not think it will be judged for its predicessor since most people who are not part of the "cult" probally have not seen the original. And correct me if I am wrong, but I believe part of why the game and new movie were green lit were because of the surprizing popularity of the DVD release of the original.

asianway

I forget exactly who, either the producers or some company with the movie (not Disney), is covering the costs of the paint job to the TRON cycle AND to repaint Coral once the promotion is over. So, basically, Coral is getting a free paint job in December when all is said and done.

Not sure on the other train but my assumption would say the same thing as for Coral.

The most annoying part of this is that Coral will most likely lose its "D"s when it gets re-painted. The paint shop needs a good house cleaning IMO.

markjohns1

Um, this post was not nearly as clever as you believe it was.

You could not be more wrong about WWoHP either. The last two movies are poised to blow away the Box Office numbers of the first 6 movies, and to have that kind of push coinciding with the opening of WWoHP is perfect timing.

Furthermore, to compare Harry Potter to Tron is truely ridiculous. Tron was a mildly successful sci-fi movie 20 years ago. With a sequel coming out that has a very small built in audience. HP is a huge worldwide cultural phenomenon.

Lastly the overlay is ugly.
Um, this post was not nearly as apropos as you believe it was.

The point, which you didn't even attempt to address, is that WDW is covered in advertising and promotion in many forms. It's a little inane to criticize this paint job as being shameless advertising when it's everywhere else.

Regarding Harry Potter, the contention was that Disney is always two steps behind with their synergy attempts and that they should start work on a Tron attraction to coincide with the movie release. The fact is huge attraction investments rarely go into unproven properties. Tron Legacy could be huge, launch a trilogy (or more) of films, television, and hopefully become a presence in the parks. It's really not necessary to have an attraction lined up this early. There's plenty of time.

WWoHP is coming out very late in relation to the book and movie series, meaning they had the liberty of seeing the property was wildly successful before committing to the significant investment. I happen to think WWoHP will be successful, so I don't really know what you claim I'm wrong about. I also never compared the popularity of Tron to Harry Potter. That was never the point.

If you think the overlay is ugly, that's fine. I think it's awesome, and it's happening, so you have my condolences.

_Scar

Disney and Universal all are all about taking risks on fad franchises. In fact, it is what Universal is known for.

Harry Potter has always been a theme park target, but it only got approved by JK in, what, 2007 or 2008? I think it's the exception to the rule.

Uncle Lupe

Now I hope they bring Captain Eo back to Epcot. Then install a Michael Jackson monorail overlay so it looks like he is moonwalking all over Future World

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom