TRON Lightcycle Overlay coming to WDW Monorails

TheBeatles

The way I see it....

If there is a version of WDW that needs to stay the same, it's not the current version. Change at the parks is as crucial as ever.

The Tron overlay is satisfying to me because it's temporary, based on a cool franchise with a great aesthetic value, and promotes an original Disney movie. Can't get more Disney than that.

Master Gracey 5

Disney, if nothing else, is a monster of a marketing company and WDW is essentially one gigantic advertising opportunity for them. The change isn't permanent, and the areas affected are minor and outside the parks themselves, so its really argument is really a moot point.

Now if you want to argue permanent changes to The Living Seas and Alien Encounter in the parks, that I'm willing to agree with you.

s8film40

One thing I forgot to add, ....its temporary, but how temporary? I mean it's only March and the movie doesn't come out until December! :shrug:

This is the most permanent monorail overlay they have done since they are painting the monorail blue and then putting stickers on it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Change is great. WDW should constantly be in a state of progression. I just don't think tacky looking stickers promoting a movie that doesn't come out for 9 months is such great change.

devoy1701

I am guessing I am the only one who likes the look of them with the Tron stuff on them.

actually, even after the Tron overlay, I think having ALL of the monorails painted a solid color with a white accent strip or something would look pretty sweet! I'm tired of the current look.

vxangelkissxv

I'm a little confused. How can they be putting this overlay on "some" trains on just the Epcot line? I mean, generally speaking, don't trains move from line-to-line pretty regularly? One day, monorail yellow is on the resort line, and the next, you'll see it heading off to Epcot. How can you coordinate the trains to stay on one line? And, I don't wonder, how will they show the colors of each train through the overlay...? Confused.

Also… A big thumbs down from me. Using such an iconic piece of Walt Disney World as a billboard honestly makes me really sad. I get what Disney is doing, obviously, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. But, it just feels tacky. My two cents. Please. Feel free to disagree...

Uncle Lupe

actually, even after the Tron overlay, I think having ALL of the monorails painted a solid color with a white accent strip or something would look pretty sweet! I'm tired of the current look.

I think change in the color scheme would be refreshing, dark color in Florida sun = :fork: one downside.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It won' be permanent, and is something different to look at. I'll reserve judgment till I see it in person or some good photos. Looking forward to see it.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
But the way I read it is its only going on 2 monorails not the entire fleet, so that angle of the argument is a moot point. Most people here simply don't like change regardless of the positive impact it will have on WDW as a whole. There are a number of people here who feel that all the parks in WDW should be covered in plastic and left as they are for all eternity. This is supposed to be a fan site and I used to enjoy coming here to discuss excitement about new attractions, changes, etc... Now all I ever seem to see is people bickering about how they don't like the changes, or the lack of changes, or a rumor they read about, or a press release, or something. I see more negativity on these boards than anything else these days. Which is why I don't visit as much as I used to, it gets old after a while. :shrug:

Uh... I like change.. and welcome it reguarly at WDW (I' dont miss food rocks.. or horizons... or the astru computer review).

This however is quite awful IMO.

Reminds me of this:

cta3341-42_3247-48-Target.jpg

or this:

las-vegas-monorail.jpg

:dazzle::dazzle:

lebeau

Eh. Don't care much. Based on the picture, thumbs down. But maybe I'll feel differently when I see it in person.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I've seen worse, and I've definitely seen better. But, it is temporary, and will be a distant memory soon enough......

niteobsrvr

I often wonder If Disney were alive and money were available, would the monorail be replaced by maglev?

In the meantime, these trains are 20 years old and look dated. Its likely time to consider replacing them with either something really futuristic looking or completely retro looking so that they wont go out of style for quite some time.

Crazy Harry

Change is great. WDW should constantly be in a state of progression. I just don't think tacky looking stickers promoting a movie that doesn't come out for 9 months is such great change.

I would like to challenge (politefully) all those who insist this overlay is "tacky". How is it tacky and not creative? As I said earlier, for those not familiar with tron, the light cycles, which are depicted at the front of the monorail, leave a colored "trail" behind them. So when the monorails are moving, it cretes the effect of a trail behind the light cycle. So, it is not just an advertisement on the monorail, but an advertisement with a creative purpose as well as a practical one.

And besides, I constantly see folks complaining that we need a new, original e-ticket, yet you critisize an effort to make that a reality. If this movie does well, we will be rewarded with a fantastic ride.

And for those who say they do not like tron, are you familiar with it at all? Have you seen the movie or play the game? The game (Tron 2.0) would actually provide a better feel for what is possible for a ride.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I would like to challenge (politefully) all those who insist this overlay is "tacky". How is it tacky and not creative? As I said earlier, for those not familiar with tron, the light cycles, which are depicted at the front of the monorail, leave a colored "trail" behind them. So when the monorails are moving, it cretes the effect of a trail behind the light cycle. So, it is not just an advertisement on the monorail, but an advertisement with a creative purpose as well as a practical one.

And besides, I constantly see folks complaining that we need a new, original e-ticket, yet you critisize an effort to make that a reality. If this movie does well, we will be rewarded with a fantastic ride.

And for those who say they do not like tron, are you familiar with it at all? Have you seen the movie or play the game? The game (Tron 2.0) would actually provide a better feel for what is possible for a ride.

I suppose it is just a taste issue. I do not like the look of this overlay. I also find it very hard to believe the paint scheme will create anything close to the illusion of the light cycles.

A Tron ride is not coming to the parks. Unless I am way off in my feel for this franchise. It just does not have anything to excite the masses. It is a sequel to a decades old movie, that was only mildly successful to begin with. I realize the old Disney Films regime spent a fortune on this movie, and now they have to push the marketing to hopefully get to a break even point. I just do not see it having the popularity to justify a presence in the parks.

devoy1701

I suppose it is just a taste issue. I do not like the look of this overlay. I also find it very hard to believe the paint scheme will create anything close to the illusion of the light cycles.

A Tron ride is not coming to the parks. Unless I am way off in my feel for this franchise. It just does not have anything to excite the masses. It is a sequel to a decades old movie, that was only mildly successful to begin with. I realize the old Disney Films regime spent a fortune on this movie, and now they have to push the marketing to hopefully get to a break even point. I just do not see it having the popularity to justify a presence in the parks.

Tron was in the parks way back when the original was out at Disneyland... I believe the master program or whatever attacked the peoplemover.

So don't say never...because it is possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom