News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

jaxonp

What's generally cited is clientele - a greater percentage of visitors to the other parks are repeat visitors who are more forgiving about temporary closures since they've seen it before and they'll see it again.

Guests are more likely to freak in Orlando when they've saved up for years to take their kids on Space Mountain and the ride is closed, so they say.

That’s lame. Guests will really freak when a train flys off the rails or the breaks fail.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Sounds like Six Flags to me.

It's happened before, just luckily without guests on it.

From Wikipedia regarding Disneyland's Space Mountain:

"The ride closed suddenly on April 10, 2003, with an announcement that it would remain closed until Disneyland's 50th anniversary. The ride had become unstable and would need a complete track replacement "

Basically a major issue with the track was abruptly found and it closed for 2 years.

jt04

Doubt this happens. Space Mountain is synonymous with Disney Parks. There’s just too much history with this attraction. Best case is that they rip out the track and rebuild the sucker from ground up.

Exactly what the poster meant.

Add an IP with a more family friendly ride system and it's a winner.

Tamer than BTMRR but with show stops like Mummy or the new Potter Coaster. Dual load platforms could be incorporated for capacity.

I give this better than even odds.

lazyboy97o

It's happened before, just luckily without guests on it.

From Wikipedia regarding Disneyland's Space Mountain:

"The ride closed suddenly on April 10, 2003, with an announcement that it would remain closed until Disneyland's 50th anniversary. The ride had become unstable and would need a complete track replacement "

Basically a major issue with the track was abruptly found and it closed for 2 years.
The ride abruptly closed early. Disney knew the track was failing, had a new track ordered and a long closure planned.

yensidtlaw1969

That’s lame. Guests will really freak when a train flys off the rails or the breaks fail.
I'm sure they've learned enough to not let it get to that point, but that seems to be why we see fewer and/or refurbs. They'd rather focus closure time on operation-related maintenance and let most of the cosmetic work be handled in the third shift. Which is fine in theory, but limits the scope of that kind of work to basically maintaining what's there and sneaking in the occasional bit of plussing. You don't get new showscenes out of that kind of work.

The ride abruptly closed early. Disney knew the track was failing, had a new track ordered and a long closure planned.

If I recall correctly, it was true that they were planning to give Space Mountain a nice, thorough refurb before the 50th, but that was still secret and in the planning stages when this incident forced their hand. It was a shock to the public hearing on no notice that the ride was now suddenly closed and wouldn't reopen for 2 years. It wasn't like dates had been announced and they just bumped them up. Guests lined up that morning expecting to ride.

I also don't think it was Disney's intention prior to that day for it to be down anywhere near 2 whole years. I thought their plan was a refurb that would last for the better part of a year and no more, though perhaps I am misremembering on that point.

Mike S

4 reasons I like the addition of TRON:

1. ) Another new E-Ticket in MK
2. ) I love Daft Punk's music
3. ) It should allow Disney finally close and rebuild Space Mountain properly
4. ) It will add a lot of futuristic aesthetic appeal to Tomorrowland that I hope the rest of the land will be more cohesive later on with it.
4 reasons I dislike the addition of Tron

1) It’s an indoor rollercoaster next to an indoor rollercoaster
2) The budget could have been better used to build a more suitable dark ride E ticket and to finally fix Space Mountain
3) Sightlines
4) Length (or lack of)

(But everyone’s entitled to an opinion)
Neither of these are really wrong.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One of those things that doesn’t translate well to a YouTube video.

It is definitely short, but typically most people don’t come off it confused that it ended. Unlike Navi River Adventure.

You’ll come off it grumpily smiling, promise.

I'm gonna write the Bobs and tell them that people want a two minute loud clanking climb up a hill so that their coasters feel like a long ride.

180º

That’s called a show scene.

One that would have been silent had the company not pulled funding. And one that currently has more broken on it than works.
I’m with you on a lot of these complaints, but I’ve never heard you criticize the length DLP’s Space Mountain, which is very close to Tron’s. Even with zero lifts Tron has a similar duration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom