News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

No because haunted mansion is vastly superior and more fun than MM. I think Tron will make SM look and feel like crap. TDO will have to address SM sooner rather than later. It’s needs an overhaul.
Phantom Manor, not Mystic Manor -- Phantom Manor is Paris' redesigned Haunted Mansion.

Having not ridden Mystic Manor in person, I do feel inclined to agree that it's a little overhyped.

Phantom Manor shares much more DNA with The Haunted Mansion than Mystic Manor does, though it's a much darker take on the ride.

jaxonp

Phantom Manor, not Mystic Manor -- Phantom Manor is Paris' redesigned Haunted Mansion.

Having not ridden Mystic Manor in person, I do feel inclined to agree that it's a little overhyped.

Phantom Manor shares much more DNA with The Haunted Mansion than Mystic Manor does, though it's a much darker take on the ride.

Oops missed that. That could change even more with the reimagined version of this ride opening soon.

Mystic Manor is boring, IMO. The last scene is neat but the whole thing seems way overhyped for what it is just because it isn’t IP, and that’s what people like about it, I guess. It’s not on the level of the classic Orginal e-tickets at all, imo.

kthomas105

In this case, TRON was designed as a spiritual successor to Space Mountain. It executes the same concept with slightly different content - Thrilling, futuristic Roller Coaster ride in the Dark with funky lights punctuating the experience while backed by a thumping music track.

Except this time, instead of spiraling through Space, you're spiraling through . . . CyberSpace.

World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, and the Sea Cabs were all unique in content and context - you could be blindfolded and still sense you were on different rides, and if you weren't it was clear that they all had different objectives and different design methods. Alice, Toad, Snow White, and Pinocchio similarly all offer distinct variations on the busbar experience. Snow White and Pinocchio are arguably the most similar, and even then Snow distinguishes itself by being uniquely Scary.

TRON and Space Mountain are both designed to suit the same end, unlike any of the attractions above.

EDITED To Add: I'm personally excited to ride TRON. But I totally think that the rides make better cousins than neighbors.

Now that they will have the "Spiritual Successor" next door to the original, one could argue it makes it easier to justify removing SM versus repairing/updating. From the way certain insiders regard the upkeep of SM in WDW from a fianicial standpoint it may just be easier for executives to choose to demo it and put something else in the custom and iconic shell of SM.

jt04

Now that they will have the "Spiritual Successor" next door to the original, one could argue it makes it easier to justify removing SM versus repairing/updating. From the way certain insiders regard the upkeep of SM in WDW from a fianicial standpoint it may just be easier for executives to choose to demo it and put something else in the custom and iconic shell of SM.

This.

jaxonp

Doubt this happens. Space Mountain is synonymous with Disney Parks. There’s just too much history with this attraction. Best case is that they rip out the track and rebuild the sucker from ground up.

Purduevian

Yes. But unlike other ride systems, and other themes, an indoor coaster in the dark IMHO is too similar to an indoor coaster in the dark.

Pirates, Splash and Jungle Cruise are virtually side by side. They are all variations of a boat ride. But the execution and theming couldn’t be more different.

Very fair point. I guess I just see enough of a difference between the new 60 mph, launched, bike seat, adventure through and arcade game/the grid coaster and the 45+ year old 28 mph, lift hill, bobsled style, adventure through a space launch and reentry. Personally, I love roller coasters and see a huge variety between these two in both theme, function, intensity, ect.

I see why some people might not like the similarities between the two rides, but personally their differences far outweigh that to me. Now I am trying to think of two attractions as similar as these two in other theme parks. The best I can think off the top of my head was Flight of the Hippogriff and Dragon Challenge (RIP) at IOA. Both were outdoor coasters themed to riding mythical Harry Potter creatures around the Hogsmead area and co-existed quite well for a long time. Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

I would be fine with the other of Shanghai's spiritual successors coming right in next to their old WDW counterparts. Give me Sunken Treasure on the Adventureland expansion pad (and take Jack and Barbados out of PotC).

Last edited:

kthomas105

Doubt this happens. Space Mountain is synonymous with Disney Parks. There’s just too much history with this attraction. Best case is that they rip out the track and rebuild the sucker from ground up.
I too doubt it will happen but the circumstances have increased the possibility of something like this happening. Like I said one could argue...

jaxonp

Talk about ripping out classics for the new kid on the block...Hey I’m all for them ripping out our pirates for Shanghai pirates seeing as we have, by far, the worst pirates in the world.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Will the height requirement be a big difference between the 2 coasters? I can see where there's a large group of kids who can ride Space mountain but not TRON yet if so

yensidtlaw1969

I don't think they're interested in doing that -- as evidenced by the lack of a good refurb. They haven't wanted to close the thing because they know guests want it open, and they don't feel the need to throw money at it because it's raking those guests in either way.

I think it's worth reminding everyone, too, how the conclusion was so readily jumped to that when New Fantasyland opened they would finally be able to shut down Peter Pan's Flight for the thorough, make-over refurb it needs and deserves . . . which never happened (Though the ride is down at the moment for a general refurb). The same for Pandora and Expedition: Everest . . . never happened.

New attractions tend to draw people to their park, and then they need other attractions open to handle the influx. So the idea that bringing a new attraction online allows for another one to go offline is sort of a misconception. Or, at least, there isn't really any true, contemporary precedent for it. They spend the money where they think they need to, which usually has more to do with either needing capacity or dwindling guest satisfaction than it is about show quality standards. Usually.

jaxonp

I don't think they're interested in doing that -- as evidenced by the lack of a good refurb. They haven't wanted to close the thing because they know guests want it open, and they don't feel the need to throw money at it because it's raking those guests in either way.

I think it's worth reminding everyone, too, how the conclusion was so readily jumped to that when New Fantasyland opened they would finally be able to shut down Peter Pan's Flight for the thorough, make-over refurb it needs and deserves . . . which never happened (Though the ride is down at the moment for a general refurb). The same for Pandora and Expedition: Everest . . . never happened.

New attractions tend to draw people to their park, and then they need other attractions open to handle the influx. So the idea that bringing a new attraction online allows for another one to go offline is sort of a misconception. Or, at least, there isn't really any true, contemporary precedent for it. They spend the money where they think they need to, which usually has more to do with either needing capacity or dwindling guest satisfaction than it is about show quality standards. Usually.
Tokyo, Anaheim and Paris have no trouble taking rides down for refurb. Why is Orlando special?

yensidtlaw1969

Tokyo, Anaheim and Paris have no trouble taking rides down for refurb. Why is Orlando special?
What's generally cited is clientele - a greater percentage of visitors to the other parks are repeat visitors who are more forgiving about temporary closures since they've seen it before and they'll see it again.

Guests are more likely to freak in Orlando when they've saved up for years to take their kids on Space Mountain and the ride is closed, so they say.

kthomas105

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that by having Tron right next door it makes it easier to throw sientiment out of the window when it comes time to make some serious decisions about what to do with SM down the road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom