News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

DisneyDodo

Itā€™s not really about popularity, but Disney loves to use their international partners as a source of development dollars. Itā€™s why Tokyo and Hong Kong now push for / demand exclusivity.
It's about both. Yes, they love saving on R&D. But there's also tremendous value in knowing that guests satisfaction for an attraction is high before investing tens of millions of dollars in it.

KrazyKat

Can you link to the video?

I heard somewhere they were repairing the steam boiler for the smoke effect, not sure if it is related to that?
TRON really isn't in the same conversation as Pirates, Journey to the Center of the Earth or even Mystic Manor. You're talking entirely different leagues of attractions.

TRON is fine -- but it's hardly on the level of the others in your list. I'd rather have TRON than nothing at Magic Kingdom, but I'd rather have a whole lot of things before I settle for TRON.
Itā€™s really a matter of personal opinion about that and I respect your opinion on TRON. However, to me this is a HUGE addition to MK. I mean look at this!
B8B45FE0-0A34-4D09-B292-059261731ED4.jpeg
25BB0CBC-9390-4D08-9688-E3A2C606D3D9.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
4 reasons I dislike the addition of Tron

1) Itā€™s an indoor rollercoaster next to an indoor rollercoaster
2) The budget could have been better used to build a more suitable dark ride E ticket and to finally fix Space Mountain
3) Sightlines
4) Length (or lack of)

(But everyoneā€™s entitled to an opinion)

lazyboy97o

I mean the track needs to be finally replaced, unless you think they're going to replace it with something else (I doubt)
People usually expect some sort of plussing to go along with work as intensive as a track replacement. But the whole idea of how Disney would update Space Mountain is going to be sitting next door.

yensidtlaw1969

2) The budget could have been better used to build a more suitable dark ride E ticket and to finally fix Space Mountain
3) Sightlines
4) Length (or lack of)

(But everyoneā€™s entitled to an opinion)
I'm guessing you're the kind who wouldn't be found putting a hat on a hat.

(Can't find a spot where I disagree - I'm especially worried about the sightlines.)

And now, the inevitable question -- was there an E Ticket Dark Ride on the table that got bumped for TRON, or is that just what you would have preferred in hypotheticals?

Purduevian

I see this complaint a lot... but aren't there multiple examples of similar ride systems next to each other at Disney Parks?
In MK: Pirates and Splash (different lands, but very close) [flumes]
Tiki room and country bears [AA shows]
EPCOT Center had WOM, Spaceship earth, and the living seas pretty close [omnivores]
Disneyland has Alice, Toad, Snow White, and Pinocchio in fantasyland [bus bar]

I'm not saying it's the best use of funds or even the right fit. However, people preach all the time that ride system does not equal ride experience. I've heard no complains that they are currently building an indoor LPS ride next to an indoor LPS ride in DHS.

yensidtlaw1969

People usually expect some sort of plussing to go along with work as intensive as a track replacement. But the whole idea of how Disney would update Space Mountain is going to be sitting next door.
I'd probably be happy as a clam if Disney updated WDW's Space Mountain by replacing the track, adding speakers in the cars, playing the Disneyland soundtrack (which lines up surprisingly well with WDW's), and giving us a version of DL's re-entry tunnel special effects.

All of which is pretty bare-minimum for a Space Mountain makeover. They should totally be pushing further, especially in ways that differentiate Space Mountain from TRON. But I'd at least give the ride a pass if they brought it up to the standard of Disneyland. Right now the way they're treating Space Mountain at WDW is kind of sad.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I see this complaint a lot... but aren't there multiple examples of similar ride systems next to each other at Disney Parks?.
Yes. But unlike other ride systems, and other themes, an indoor coaster in the dark IMHO is too similar to an indoor coaster in the dark.

Pirates, Splash and Jungle Cruise are virtually side by side. They are all variations of a boat ride. But the execution and theming couldnā€™t be more different.

lazyboy97o

I see this complaint a lot... but aren't there multiple examples of similar ride systems next to each other at Disney Parks?
EPCOT Center had WOM, Spaceship earth, and the living seas pretty close [omnivores]

I'm not saying it's the best use of funds or even the right fit. However, people preach all the time that ride system does not equal ride experience. I've heard no complains that they are currently building an indoor LPS ride next to an indoor LPS ride in DHS.
Would you build Phantom Manor next to The Haunted Mansion? TRON was specifically conceived of as a ā€œdistinctly Chineseā€ Space Mountain.

yensidtlaw1969

In this case, TRON was designed as a spiritual successor to Space Mountain. It executes the same concept with slightly different content - Thrilling, futuristic Roller Coaster ride in the Dark with funky lights punctuating the experience while backed by a thumping music track.

Except this time, instead of spiraling through Space, you're spiraling through . . . CyberSpace.

World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, and the Sea Cabs were all unique in content and context - you could be blindfolded and still sense you were on different rides, and if you weren't it was clear that they all had different objectives and different design methods. Alice, Toad, Snow White, and Pinocchio similarly all offer distinct variations on the busbar experience. Snow White and Pinocchio are arguably the most similar, and even then Snow distinguishes itself by being uniquely Scary.

TRON and Space Mountain are both designed to suit the same end, unlike any of the attractions above.

EDITED To Add: I'm personally excited to ride TRON. But I totally think that the rides make better cousins than neighbors.

jaxonp

Itā€™s really a matter of personal opinion about that and I respect your opinion on TRON. However, to me this is a HUGE addition to MK. I mean look at this!
View attachment 344290View attachment 344291

Well let me say this, having been on Tron, Shanghai Pirates, Mystic Manor and Journey at TDS, the one I want to reride the most is Tron (wish it were longer) and the one Iā€™d ride least would be MM. I really donā€™t understand why people praise it so much, meh itā€™s no HM replacement. Jttcote is a very close second. That ride has it all, crazy next level theming, thrilling dark ride. Itā€™s so much better than MM or Pirates imo.

jaxonp

Would you build Phantom Manor next to The Haunted Mansion? TRON was specifically conceived of as a ā€œdistinctly Chineseā€ Space Mountain.

No because haunted mansion is vastly superior and more fun than MM. I think Tron will make SM look and feel like crap. TDO will have to address SM sooner rather than later. Itā€™s needs an overhaul.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom