News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

mitchk

Today ....A look from the people mover
0113F2C0-5F31-4AE9-9E92-05677053741F.jpeg
53C94EF1-3D06-497E-AD82-1C27C41A1B4D.jpeg

BrianLo

There are quite a few of the more critical people I know who are/were not a fan. The load room is very barebones. The indoor section is not as it great as it should have been. The length for some reason does not totally bother me. I found Baron 1898 to be more buildup than substance. Tron, while equally short, is at least go from beginning to end.

Anyone who is talking about it being a mistake is more referring within the realms of the personal context and preferences.

It is not a mistake in terms of marketability and popularity as will be perceived amongst the public. It is also not a mistake in terms of adding a little oomph to probably one of the only poorly catered crowds amongst MK visitors (more of the thrill seekers).

It is a dollar for overall capacity mistake, but so much of WDW is. I still think there will be MUCH less sightline issues than Shanghai, but perhaps I am just not picturing the placement correctly.

I'd of course have loved to see an original 8+ minute dark ride concept and a Shanghai original left alone. But I cannot pretend that just about any attraction you had to copy, this is probably the one that will hit the most popular amongst the GP.

It is however not an inherently bad attraction. Mermaid was sort of the opposite. High capacity, accessible to everyone. Would be kind of nice if MK could eventually get something that didn't at least drop the ball in a few areas for once. But MK is getting an E-ticket for the first time in decades, so that's a nice change.

Marc Davis Fan

Well, you can't say "nothing but" when I've ridden it and said it's somewhat mediocre. ;)

I hate to be a downer, but... my reaction was the same when I rode it. It wasn't anything special, IMHO. Imagine if RnRC had the seats from FoP, the visual effects from Test Track, and a very brief outdoor portion. It's fun, but not something I'd wait in a long line for.

That said, I'm thrilled that MK is finally getting its first new E-ticket since 1992, and I think it will clearly be a net positive for the park, and quite popular among guests. Plus it looks cool at night.

PS This page on Roller Coaster Philosophy contains the best analysis of Tron that I've seen so far: https://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2016/sdl-tomorrowland/

KrazyKat

Ok, I meant mostly good reviews :)
Either way, I’m just glad something new is being added instead of replaced to add to the attraction count at MK.
That’s the great thing about this forum. We’re all very passionate about Walt Disney World and it means a great deal to us all or we wouldn’t be on here.

Casper Gutman

It is amazing how redundant this ride is.
“WDW is getting a new indoor coaster with lighting effects!”
“Oh, like Rock N’ Roller Coaster.”
“No, it’s all futuristic! So futuristic, they’re putting it in Tomorrowland!”
“Like Space Mountain”
“No, but this dark, futuristic coaster with lighting effects is based on a movie!”
“Like Guardians of the Galaxy.”
“No, look, it’s based on Tron. It’s all blue and orange lasers and neon, like you’re inside a computer!”
“Like Test Track.”
“Look, can’t you just be happy that WDW is building something totally new and unique?”

jaxonp

It is amazing how redundant this ride is.
“WDW is getting a new indoor coaster with lighting effects!”
“Oh, like Rock N’ Roller Coaster.”
“No, it’s all futuristic! So futuristic, they’re putting it in Tomorrowland!”
“Like Space Mountain”
“No, but this dark, futuristic coaster with lighting effects is based on a movie!”
“Like Guardians of the Galaxy.”
“No, look, it’s based on Tron. It’s all blue and orange lasers and neon, like you’re inside a computer!”
“Like Test Track.”
“Look, can’t you just be happy that WDW is building something totally new and unique?”

Haha exactly. It’s like all of those and none of those. The riding position alone gives a whole new perspective that nobody has ridden anywhere in the US that I’m aware of. I believe Vekoma has built this motorbike coaster in Europe before but not sure without looking on RCDB.

Snapper Bean

Given Disney's insatiable need to build more and more on property hotel rooms, frankly, I'm ecstatic whenever they decide to offer *anything* additional to do in the actual parks. The ratio of attractions to hotel rooms is my biggest concern in terms of my personal guest experience. I won't say a single negative word about Tron. I'm excited by the addition.

Travel Junkie

It’s really a matter of personal opinion about that and I respect your opinion on TRON. However, to me this is a HUGE addition to MK. I mean look at this!
View attachment 344290View attachment 344291

Tron is a very Instagram friendly ride. It has a visual appealing look and pops off the screen. It has cool ride vehicles and everything about the experience is based on the way it looks.

In reality I found it fun but a very hollow experience. There is little to no depth to it. Sure it is only a roller coaster but so is Big Thunder. I had a lot better experiences at Shanghai Disneyland than Tron, but Tron is what everyone gravitates to because of its Instagramable quality. I have no doubt it will be a big hit and be the most photographed ride in the park, but it in reality it is a rather dull coaster covered in glitter.

jaxonp

Wh
Tron is a very Instagram friendly ride. It has a visual appealing look and pops off the screen. It has cool ride vehicles and everything about the experience is based on the way it looks.

In reality I found it fun but a very hollow experience. There is little to no depth to it. Sure it is only a roller coaster but so is Big Thunder. I had a lot better experiences at Shanghai Disneyland than Tron, but Tron is what everyone gravitates to because of its Instagramable quality. I have no doubt it will be a big hit and be the most photographed ride in the park, but it in reality it is a rather dull coaster covered in glitter.
at did you do at SHDL besides pirates? The park is boring past noon on most days. The only attraction I have not ridden is Roaring Rapids. Maybe it’s where it’s at but I’m guessing not.

lazyboy97o

Visual chaos masquerading as detail.

FigmentFan82

Given Disney's insatiable need to build more and more on property hotel rooms, frankly, I'm ecstatic whenever they decide to offer *anything* additional to do in the actual parks. The ratio of attractions to hotel rooms is my biggest concern in terms of my personal guest experience. I won't say a single negative word about Tron. I'm excited by the addition.
The additional on site hotel rooms aren't there to increase the crowds in the parks but rather to increase on site stay. Essentialy wanting to grab more of the market that stays offsite because rooms aren't available onsite. It's the new attractions in the parks that will increase the crowds, not new hotel rooms.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

PorterRedkey

I wonder how guests are going to feel putting their personal items in a locker before riding TRON. It is that way in Shanghai, so I image it will be the same here. If so, this will be a first for an American park.

I am sure people will get used to it, especially anyone who has been to Universal. I understand why they are needed, and I am all for safety first, so looking at the big picture, it's not a big deal. That said, when I went to Universal, the lockers were one of my least favorite parts of those parks. Gringotts was the worst. I am not sure how this is handled in Shanghai, but I hope Disney does a better job with the lockers than Universal does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom