Trip Report July 26 through August 8, 2008

Hello everyone!

Like some have done before, I thought I would start my trip report to WDW before I go and finish it up when I return. I'm starting it now because I know I won't have time later this week.

My family consists of myself, Male 43, my wife 45, and my two daughters ages 8 and 10. This will be me and my wife's 5th trip and my kid's 2nd trip back to WDW. We last visited last summer, this is our first back to back WDW vacation and we probably won't return for a few years after.

Our vacation will start on Saturday, July 26th and we will return home on August 8th. We'll be driving down and back in our 2006 Chrysler Town & Country touring minivan.

On this trip my wife and I will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary.

We decided to make an effort to finally visit Universal this time, we've never been, and we will do SeaWorld as well, before we do WDW. It is the fact that we haven't visited Universal before that we are justifying our return to WDW again so soon, not that anyone needs to have a reason, my wife's idea.

On the first day we're going to drive south starting at 5:00 AM from northern Illinois to just south of Chicago through Indiana, Kentucky Tennessee and stop in northern Georgia overnight. Sunday morning we then will continue south and take the bypass around Atlanta to avoid the road construction that is going on downtown and continue south through Georgia into Florida. We plan on being on Universal's property mid to late afternoon Sunday before 6:00PM, hopefully earlier. We have reservations at the Portofino Bay Hotel, we requested a bay view room. We are staying on Universal's property for 4 nights, we want to do both Universal parks and SeaWorld. If we have time we'll do other diversions we don't normally get to do, pool time for the kids, shopping and other such frivolities around Orlando proper. We'll also do some resting up around the hotel before embarking on our WDW adventure, because that is one thing we won't be doing once we get there. We don't have a real plan as far as which parks we'll do when, probably SeaWorld last. We like to plan but we also like a little spontaneity as well.

We will leave Portofino on Thursday morning 7/31/08 and check into the Contemporary resort early, before noon if possible. We requested an MK view, on a higher floor. We have ADRs for Chef Mickey's that morning, the last seating time. We haven't done Chef Mickeys since 1987.
We plan on hitting MK that first day with no real itinerary, I would like to hit the Haunted Mansion imeadiately because I missed it last year due to the refurbishment and haven't rode it since 1990, but my kids have never seen it before and I want them to experience it the same way I did for the first time as a kid in 1973, at night, I'm a sentimental fool, I guess.

The next day August 1st is our Anniversary and as I mentioned we're staying at the Contemporary, which was our honeymoon hotel 21 years before. When we made the reservations last summer the person we talked to said we could request the same room we stayed in then, but that isn't important to us, so we didn't request it. We will do MK on this day as well, we have ADRs for dinner at CRT for our anniversary, not necessarily me and my wife's first choice, our kids wanted to do it. We decided to celebrate our anniversary as a family instead of just as a couple. There will be plenty of opportunities to do the couple thing when the kids are grown and out of the house. We will do MK again on our last day before going home, too depressing not to.

We plan on hitting MK, Epcot, AK and DHS on their late EMH days, my wife has written down the days, we'll have to check to make sure they don't change, I think as the days fall we won't be able to do late EMH at DHS, I don't remember. One thing, we will be doing less TS dining than we did last time. We wasted a lot of time sitting in restaurants last year.

That's the general plan, we have been preparing for this trip since last July. We are now about 95% packed thanks to my wife. The only thing left is my stuff. I had the van cleaned out, washed and waxed and had the oil changed.

Our trip is only 7 days away and the pressure is on. It seems I've been counting the days and it's here all of a sudden! Just yesterday I remember it being 368 days away! My wife has been cleaning the house and I have to mow the lawn one last time, if it ever stops raining, it's raining now as I write this.

I've been preparing things at work, I'm at work now. I've been ordering extra supplies and delegating some of my responsibilites so my absence won't be too keenly felt. Being away from work for two weeks is not something I normally do, it does make it worse coming back. Not only will everything be piled on my desk and my computer filled with unread emails but being in the zombie state that first day back is a killer. I'll try not to think about it and let that foul day worry about itself for now!

I'm really looking forward to this vacation. We did the awkward "first time back in 17 years" last year and got through most of the new stuff that we never experienced. Our touring, I anticipate, will be better this time around. Our kids have matured a bit more and since this trip is not a surprise to them I've been coaching them about the rides they were too scared to try last time and the new ones they'll see at Universal. I think they may want to try some of them, we'll see. If not, I won't push them too hard, but I really think being more ready this time they'll want to do more. They're adamant that they won't do ToT, they won't negotiate on that one for sure, disappointing, but not unexpected, after the "freak out" they had last year when my wife and I did the swap thing in line and they thought they were going to ride, despite our reassurances that they weren't. They also told me most certainly they are not doing Dr. Doom's fearfall either.

I'll continue to add to this post before we go if I have anything else to report, otherwise I'll add what happened when I return.

Thanks for reading in advance!

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Great report. Thanks for sharing.
Does the new Bay Tower block the MK view??
Thanks!
No, as you look at the MK from the balcony, the new building is behind to the side more behind the hotel. From my room I could see no evidence the there was anything being built there.

Turcicus

We saw the animal show, I forget the name, the one where they save animals from shelters and they put them in the show. It was pretty good.

That wouldn't be Pet Shenanigans, would it? Or as its second iteration is now called, More...Pet Shenanigans. :ROFLOL: If so, they also have that here at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and my wife loves it.

Great report! I'm enjoying reading it :)

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Thanks again all for your comments...I just remembered the name of the Italian restaurant we went to at City Walk, it was Pastamore.

Thursday afternoon, July 31st.
Magic Kingdom.

After getting settled into our room we took off for the Magic Kingdom. We decided to take the walkway over. The last time we stayed at the Contemporary there was no walkway, so we wanted to try it out. I made a parental misjudgement. While waiting for the green light on North World drive, I saw there were no cars coming so I began walking across the street holding my kids hands, with them yelling at me all the way. I wasn't focussed on what they were saying until I got across the street. It turns out my kids were scolding me for crossing the street against a red light. I realized I had just set a bad example for my kids, I should have waited for the green light, even if there was no traffic.

It was a long walk to the MK, we wouldn't do the walkway again, after being on your feet all day it was better for us to take the monorail.

After entering the park we spent some time in the mainstreet shops then made our way to Fantasyland as the light started to fade into early evening. We did Philharmagic first, that show always seems to be a walk on for us, we never had to wait for it last year either, It's a Small World was as well. Dumbo was a 30 minute wait, we got a fastpass for Peter Pan and the wait for Pooh was 25 minutes. Most of the people must have been in the Peter Pan ride during our entire visit the wait time for that ride was never under 70 minutes, one day it was 120 minutes. We went over to Tomorrowland did everything there except Stitch and Space Mountain. Those rides were walk ons as well. When we got off the WEDway People Mover (TTA) a I notcied the line and gotten real long. I don't know what happened, all of a sudden it was a popular attraction. When we boarded 15-20 minutes ago we walked on, now the line stretch out outside the main queueing area, it was puzzleing.

We went back to Fantasyland and did our fastpass ride for Peter Pan. It was getting full dark now people were now getting ready for the first night parade. So I thought it was a perfect time to do the Haunted Mansion. I hadn't been on it for 18 years and I missed it last year because it was down. As we got closer to the HM, I noticed how dark they made it at night. There used to be some lighting to highlight it but there wasn't any now, it looked more sinister than before. The ride was a walk on as well.
I took everything in, it was amazing. I felt they did an great job on the refurb. I was impressed as was my wife. My kids loved it and we repeated the ride another two times in a row. Somehow the inside looks smaller than I remember, probably just because it had been so long since I rode it. We next went to Adventureland and rode the Jungle Cruise for the first time at night ever. It does seem to be a different ride at night. We did pirates, the magic carpets and the tiki bird show. It was getting late close to 10:00 PM, we ducked into Columbia Harbor House for a quick bite to eat, it was then we realized we hadn't eaten since Chef Mickey's. As we were eating We heard all these loud popping noises coming from above, it sounded like someone was on the roof of the restaurant punching holes in it. I checked the time and I realized it was the wishes firework show beginning. There must be some fireworks launching tubes on the roof of that restaurant, if not they're very close by. It was a "poosh" sound followed by a loud sort of bang. They weren't all coming from that particuliar restaurant, the sounds were kind of circling around the area. A very unique experience. Most people would have been outside watching Wishes, I think we were the only ones in the place, with exception of the restaurant staff.

After eating we decided to go back to the hotel and turn in. The next day would be our actual wedding anniversary (August 1st) and we were going to spend the day at the Magic Kingdom again.

More to come!

DisneyGigi

Enjoying your trip report! Great pictures. I love the Chef Mickey's celebration for your anniversary. I was the same way when they gave us the mats last year, I thought it was for the kids too. Pluto snuck up behind us and they did the napking wave thing. I enjoyed it so much. It is amazing the nice things that the CMs do for your special day.
Happy Anniversary btw. Can't wait to read the rest of your report. :)

Dwarful

I am enjoying your trip report..esp. since I am too tired to type my own! lol. I am also glad to hear no complaints of Illinois drivers..as we left Illinois July 25th and returned on August 10th! We didn't do the 'other parks' this trip but I think we def. will next trip. Our girls are 8 & 12 and were asking about that this year for the first time. Perhaps our paths crossed...we did see lots of Cubs fans...although we are die hard Cardinals fans...at one point a Cubs fan struck up a conversation with my husband saying "I guess its alright if I talk to you as you seem to be one of the few English speaking guests around"..early in our trip we just couldn't seem to avoid the Brazilian tour groups..flags, colored tshirts and songs, songs, songs!

disneygirl1

Awesome report so far and such lovely pictures! We are celebrating my son's 7th birthday at Chef Mickey's on Dec. 8th! I hope they make a fuss over his birthday the way they did for your aniversary! Can't wait to read your next installment of your trip report!

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
I am enjoying your trip report..esp. since I am too tired to type my own! lol. I am also glad to hear no complaints of Illinois drivers..as we left Illinois July 25th and returned on August 10th! We didn't do the 'other parks' this trip but I think we def. will next trip. Our girls are 8 & 12 and were asking about that this year for the first time. Perhaps our paths crossed...we did see lots of Cubs fans...although we are die hard Cardinals fans...at one point a Cubs fan struck up a conversation with my husband saying "I guess its alright if I talk to you as you seem to be one of the few English speaking guests around"..early in our trip we just couldn't seem to avoid the Brazilian tour groups..flags, colored tshirts and songs, songs, songs!
Thanks, That is funny...I saw some Cubs fans as well, just not in very big numbers. I only saw one tour group during my trip. I was transferring to an Epcot monorail at the TTC. I saw this huge mass of humanity all wearing the same type yellow t-shirts with something written on it, they looked to be Brazilian. As the doors closed on my monorail they were all cramming into the express MK monorail. Through my sealed train and their sealed train just before we pulled out I could hear them yelling and chanting something, it must have been crazy in that train, they were very loud. I saw a lot of jumping and arm waving and I thought I was happy I was going to Epcot instead of the MK that day and I prayed there were no children in their car.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Awesome report so far and such lovely pictures! We are celebrating my son's 7th birthday at Chef Mickey's on Dec. 8th! I hope they make a fuss over his birthday the way they did for your aniversary! Can't wait to read your next installment of your trip report!
Thanks, I'm sure they will, just make sure he's wearing the birthday button. At Chef Mickey's they always seem very eager to celebrate anything all the time. Since our room was situated directly over the restaurant, whenever I was in our room, I noticed the celebration music was always going and whenever I looked over the rail everyone was doing the napkin wave.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Friday, August 1st our 21st anniversary day has begun.

It's funny, I've been mulling over this day in my head since yesterday afternoon, after completing my last trip report installment and I can only gather about five or six details. That day seems to be a blurr and I don't really know why. I'll convey what I can remember, sometimes it comes to me while I write.

When I awoke my wife was already up. In my half-asleep stuper, stumbling out of bed making my way to the bathroom I noticed my wife had placed an anniversary card on the night-stand addressed to me. It was then I realized that I forgot to pick up a card for her before leaving. I felt like a cad! I thanked my wife for the card, and confessed that I didn't have one for her, I didn't forget the anniversary obviously, just the card. She didn't seem to be too upset about it. After getting myself dressed and ready for the day, my wife asked if the Contemporary had a sundries shop. She hadn't noticed one when we browsed around. I told her there was one but I wasn't sure where it was, but I could find out easily enough. She gave me a list of what she needed and I went down to get it. I stopped in the Fantasia gift shop and asked where the sundries shop was. The CM told me it was right behind this store. I walked out and there it was hiding in the corner, I don't know how we missed it the day before. I found the items my wife needed and I saw a card section with about four or five different types of cards, mostly thank you cards. I found one that was a generic type that when you opened it a pop up of Cinderella's castle popped up. There was no writing other than a small script at the bottom "Greetings from Disney World." I bought the card along with the items my wife needed and a Mickey Mouse pen. I sat on a bench just outside the store, opened the card and wrote a sentimental paragraph to my wife for our anniversary with the Mickey Mouse pen.
When I returned to the room I gave my wife the card and she loved it, disaster averted I thought, lucky that card was available, there was no other card there I could of used but that one in that store. I gave my wife the pen to keep as well. We didn't buy each other anything, because the vacation was a gift to each other.

We got the kids ready to go to MK the only ADR we had was for CRT at about 5:00 PM. We took the monorail over, just as the train pulled into the MK station the sky opened up and it rained very hard. It was bright sunshine just moments before. We got off the train, we stayed on the platform and decided to put sunscreen on the kids and remain on the platform for awhile under cover. In about 5 minutes the rain stopped and it was bright sunshine again. We made our way down mainstreet and turned towards Adventureland, my wife wanted a dolewhip in the worst way. We got to the stand and the sky opened up again. We ran into the small building in back of the stand that had a bunch of tables and chairs and ate our whips. I don't really see the big deal about the dolewhips, tastes like pineapple sherbert to me that I can buy locally. My wife called me a barbarian for not appreciating the delicateness of the treat. The rain finally let up after about 45 minutes, it rained on and off like that most of the day. The kids got to meet Wendy and Peter Pan but they avoided Captain Hook, who I like much better. it began raining again. This is where my memory gets fuzzy for a few hours. I remember waiting for the afternoon parade in frontierland and the parade was postponed then summarily cancelled due to the rain. They ran a smaller "Rained out" parade with the characters all in covered vehicles waving at the crowd, playing music about how the "Rain keeps falling and when will it end?" A cute thing to do I thought, I should have took some pictures of it, but it went through so fast and unexpected it was too late. It was then we decided to buy a couple of umbrellas. It was funny, after we bought the umbrellas for $10 a piece, it didn't rain anymore during the rest of our vacation, honest, it's true!

We spent more time in Fantasyland reriding some of the rides we rode the day before, having to get fast passes for Pooh and Peter Pan. Everything else was a walk on. We reported to CRT for dinner and only had to wait for 10 minutes before being allowed in. Another 10 minutes went by, we were waiting in a large hall where Cinderella was posing with other families having pictures taken. Our name was called and we had ours taken and were wisked upstairs to our table. I hadn't been to CRT since 1990, it was "King Stephans" then. The decor looked the same, but there seemed to be a lot more tables crammed in the place then there were back then.

The show with the mice and the Fairy Godmother is cute but very short, not a lot of substance or interaction. It seemed rushed, she wished a bunch of people happy birthday and anniversary, sometimes yelling across the restaurant. My wife raised her hand that it was our anniversary so she yelled her greeting to us as well. The star of the evening was our server, he was great. He made it a special evening for us. He really played the part up adressing my daughters as princesses, my wife as "My Lady" and bowing down to me calling me "the King" and "Sire." It was terrific. The meal was better than expected, based on what I've heard from others, we were very pleased. We were given our pictures of us with Cinderella, they turned out great. Just as we were leaving, our server ran up to us and gave us a cake box. He said it was two champaign glasses. he apologized, and he was out of breath. He said he was back in the kitchen and another server was opening a box with these glasses in them. He said they had been out of them for a year and hadn't been giving them out. They only give them out to couples celebrating anniversaries. He didn't know they just came it, so he wanted to catch us before we left. I don't have a picture of them, but their like a flute type glass, clear with a twisty stem. It has a frosty type script on the bell of the glass that says "Cinderella's Royal Table." We thanked him and we parted. Just as we were getting up a man in a tie and white shirt, I assume was the restaurant manager, came up and spoke with us. He assumed the cake box was a cake and wanted to tell us that we could keep it in the restaurant fridge until we left the park for the day. We thanked him but told him it wasn't a cake. He asked us about our vacation and what our favorite attractions were. I told him mine was the HM and he said it was his as well. he asked about what I thought about the refurb, and I told him I thought they did a great job, he agreed.

After leaving the restaurant we puzzled about what to do with the glasses, not wanting to carry them around, possibly breaking them. I decided just to rent a locker. I grabbed up everything we had been carrying, including the wands our kids got at CRT and left my family in Fantasyland, while I made the mad dash down Mainstreet. Mainstreet was getting very crowded, people were lining up for Spectromagic. I wanted to get in and out of the area before the parade started. I had about 30 minutes. The race was on!

It was difficult but I was able to get to the locker area. I had never used a locker before at MK or any Disney park so I had to ask for help on what to do. I had to go into a giftshop near the lockers, pay ten dollars to the CM there and he gave me a key with a locker number. I put our stuff in the locker and pushed my way back up mainstreet to meet up with my family back in Fantasyland. It was no easy task. One thing that made it really difficult to navigate up the street was they had all these activities going on. CMs with hoola hoops, balls and different assorted games that they were having all the kids waiting along the parade route try. I didn't see this last year. Any free space that would have been normally used to walk through was taken up. I nearly stepped on or knocked over a few people but I managed to get to Fantasyland without doing so.

I met up with my family, and it was then I thought that $10 seemed to be a lot of money to pay for a locker. Then I read the reciept and it said that $5 was a deposit that I would get back.

We went to Liberty Square and did HM two more times. We hung around Fatasyland and caught Wishes, then went to Frontierland to do Splash and Thunder Mountains. Our kids balked at Splash, they didn't want to do it and Thunder they were having 2nd thoughts, I figured they must be getting tired. We passed on Splash and we coaxed them on Thunder Mountain. It was the first time I rode that ride in the dark. Somewhere along the way my youngest lost her hat, this time we couldn't find it. She had a complete melt down. It didn't matter that we told her we'd get a new one for her. She just went bonkers, crying and carrying on!

We had just gotten our wristbands for EMH for MK and had planned to stay in our favorite park until the wee hours, but this meltdown of my daughters convinced us to go back to the hotel. It was just about 11:00 PM, it was disappointing, but it was what it was. We retrieved the stuff from our locker I turned the key in and got $5 back and boarded the monorail back to the Contemporary.

When we got back to our room I noticed that we had a message on our phone. It was from room service, they said they had a delivery for us and to call them to arrange delivery. We called but they said they were closed and we would have to call back the next day.

We turned in for the night.

WickedQueen22

Happy Anniversary!!

Our family also felt like we were rushed for CRT. They pack you in, let Fairy Godmother twirl and sing and kick you out. For 2 table service credits we were not impressed.

Can't wait to read about the package.

Dwarful

Wow...this is eerie..we also bought those $10 umbrellas on the 1st! Never needed them again. Hauled them around one day, but didn't need them...although at one point my husband was sorely tempted to use them as weapons with a large group in yellow tshirts......

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Saturday morning, August 2nd.

As soon as we got up and got everyone ready to go we called the room service number again to find out what the mystery delivery was all about. The person on the phoce first said they would bring it up in an hour or so, but then said that they could bring it right up now instead. We waited for about 10 minutes when there was a knock at our door. A CM presented us with a gift from the Contemporary resort. A bottle of Champaign with two "Congratulations" ballons and a Happy Anniversary card with an autographed picture from Mickey and Minnie:

It was a great surprise, we certainly didn't expect it. We were only sorry that we didn't return to our room soon enough to receive the gift on the night of our anniversary. It was too early to drink the Champaign, so we saved it for later. Actually we had brought champaign with us, the same brand that the Hotel gave us. Only the hotel's version was a small bottle that would provide only 2 glasses of Champaign. My wife thought the bottle was too cute to open so we drank our own and put the gift bottle away as a momento later that same evening.

We went down to the bus station in front of the Contemporary to catch a bus to Hollywood Studios. We had to wait almost 45 minutes. There was at least 3 or 4 Animal Kingdom busses thet blew through before ours came. Our bus stopped at the Poly then the GF before going to DHS. Not many got on the bus at the Contemporary but a whole horde of people got on at the other two resorts. No wonder, it took so long for a DHS bus to arrive. There probably was one or two of the same right behind us. They should really space them out better. Anyway a family got on at the GF, one of them was a young mother with a 1 year old on her hip. There was only standing room only on the bus. There was no way I was going to see her try and stand through the ride to the park. I promptly gave her my seat. She first balked and said she didn't want my seat, but I firmly told her to take my seat, I was already standing, and she better grab it before someone else did. She sat down next to my wife and thanked me. Her father had been standing behind her and he thanked me as well. No big deal I told them, it was nothing for me to stand. Our families conversed together through the rest of the ride. They were DVC members and they explained to us what DVC was all about after we asked. The were from Ohio I believe. While DVC sounds interesting, I don't know yet if it's right for our family just now. Maybe later, I don't know.

We got to DHS, we made our way all the way over to Toy Story mania to get a fast pass only to read this sign:

It was only 11:00 AM...the standby line was about 2 hours and they closed the single rider line. We would not be riding that ride today. We made plans on coming back to DHS the next day and schemed on how we would get a fast pass then.

I'll have to continue this later, I have a bunch of meetings at work I have to attend and I'll be occupied the rest of the day, so I'll see you later.
Thanks all again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom