Trip Report July 26 through August 8, 2008

Hello everyone!

Like some have done before, I thought I would start my trip report to WDW before I go and finish it up when I return. I'm starting it now because I know I won't have time later this week.

My family consists of myself, Male 43, my wife 45, and my two daughters ages 8 and 10. This will be me and my wife's 5th trip and my kid's 2nd trip back to WDW. We last visited last summer, this is our first back to back WDW vacation and we probably won't return for a few years after.

Our vacation will start on Saturday, July 26th and we will return home on August 8th. We'll be driving down and back in our 2006 Chrysler Town & Country touring minivan.

On this trip my wife and I will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary.

We decided to make an effort to finally visit Universal this time, we've never been, and we will do SeaWorld as well, before we do WDW. It is the fact that we haven't visited Universal before that we are justifying our return to WDW again so soon, not that anyone needs to have a reason, my wife's idea.

On the first day we're going to drive south starting at 5:00 AM from northern Illinois to just south of Chicago through Indiana, Kentucky Tennessee and stop in northern Georgia overnight. Sunday morning we then will continue south and take the bypass around Atlanta to avoid the road construction that is going on downtown and continue south through Georgia into Florida. We plan on being on Universal's property mid to late afternoon Sunday before 6:00PM, hopefully earlier. We have reservations at the Portofino Bay Hotel, we requested a bay view room. We are staying on Universal's property for 4 nights, we want to do both Universal parks and SeaWorld. If we have time we'll do other diversions we don't normally get to do, pool time for the kids, shopping and other such frivolities around Orlando proper. We'll also do some resting up around the hotel before embarking on our WDW adventure, because that is one thing we won't be doing once we get there. We don't have a real plan as far as which parks we'll do when, probably SeaWorld last. We like to plan but we also like a little spontaneity as well.

We will leave Portofino on Thursday morning 7/31/08 and check into the Contemporary resort early, before noon if possible. We requested an MK view, on a higher floor. We have ADRs for Chef Mickey's that morning, the last seating time. We haven't done Chef Mickeys since 1987.
We plan on hitting MK that first day with no real itinerary, I would like to hit the Haunted Mansion imeadiately because I missed it last year due to the refurbishment and haven't rode it since 1990, but my kids have never seen it before and I want them to experience it the same way I did for the first time as a kid in 1973, at night, I'm a sentimental fool, I guess.

The next day August 1st is our Anniversary and as I mentioned we're staying at the Contemporary, which was our honeymoon hotel 21 years before. When we made the reservations last summer the person we talked to said we could request the same room we stayed in then, but that isn't important to us, so we didn't request it. We will do MK on this day as well, we have ADRs for dinner at CRT for our anniversary, not necessarily me and my wife's first choice, our kids wanted to do it. We decided to celebrate our anniversary as a family instead of just as a couple. There will be plenty of opportunities to do the couple thing when the kids are grown and out of the house. We will do MK again on our last day before going home, too depressing not to.

We plan on hitting MK, Epcot, AK and DHS on their late EMH days, my wife has written down the days, we'll have to check to make sure they don't change, I think as the days fall we won't be able to do late EMH at DHS, I don't remember. One thing, we will be doing less TS dining than we did last time. We wasted a lot of time sitting in restaurants last year.

That's the general plan, we have been preparing for this trip since last July. We are now about 95% packed thanks to my wife. The only thing left is my stuff. I had the van cleaned out, washed and waxed and had the oil changed.

Our trip is only 7 days away and the pressure is on. It seems I've been counting the days and it's here all of a sudden! Just yesterday I remember it being 368 days away! My wife has been cleaning the house and I have to mow the lawn one last time, if it ever stops raining, it's raining now as I write this.

I've been preparing things at work, I'm at work now. I've been ordering extra supplies and delegating some of my responsibilites so my absence won't be too keenly felt. Being away from work for two weeks is not something I normally do, it does make it worse coming back. Not only will everything be piled on my desk and my computer filled with unread emails but being in the zombie state that first day back is a killer. I'll try not to think about it and let that foul day worry about itself for now!

I'm really looking forward to this vacation. We did the awkward "first time back in 17 years" last year and got through most of the new stuff that we never experienced. Our touring, I anticipate, will be better this time around. Our kids have matured a bit more and since this trip is not a surprise to them I've been coaching them about the rides they were too scared to try last time and the new ones they'll see at Universal. I think they may want to try some of them, we'll see. If not, I won't push them too hard, but I really think being more ready this time they'll want to do more. They're adamant that they won't do ToT, they won't negotiate on that one for sure, disappointing, but not unexpected, after the "freak out" they had last year when my wife and I did the swap thing in line and they thought they were going to ride, despite our reassurances that they weren't. They also told me most certainly they are not doing Dr. Doom's fearfall either.

I'll continue to add to this post before we go if I have anything else to report, otherwise I'll add what happened when I return.

Thanks for reading in advance!

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Wow...this is eerie..we also bought those $10 umbrellas on the 1st! Never needed them again. Hauled them around one day, but didn't need them...although at one point my husband was sorely tempted to use them as weapons with a large group in yellow tshirts......
Wow! That is funny.:ROFLOL:

KingStefan

Great report, Bill - thanks!

...Somewhere along the way my youngest lost her hat, this time we couldn't find it...

Sorry to hear about the hat incident. I know all about young-girl meltdowns. Oh, well. Hope she recovered eventually.

Well, you know what they say: "Hang onto your hats and glasses, folks, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness" :lol:

Dwarful

Ok I just have to share this. On July 28th we headed to the studios at opening. Oldest daughter ran straight for TSM..grabbed fastpasses ...for an hour and ten minutes later. got in line for standby (20 minutes). Rode the ride, came out, 90 minute standby, took in some other attractions...youngest begged to go to Honey I Shrunk Playground..oldest balked..eventually caved in to little sis. As soon as we walked through the entrance we received the YOAMD Fastpasses...which made us all thrilled...and prompted the 8 year old to remind us the rest of the trip that we should do what she wanted because she got us YOAMD fast passes (good try, but didn't work). As soon as we could we grabbed one more set of fast passes for TSM (it was about 10 AM) and they were for the evening. So we were able to ride TSM 4 times that day! most times it was a 110+ minute wait for TSM.

disneygirl1

Thanks, I'm sure they will, just make sure he's wearing the birthday button. At Chef Mickey's they always seem very eager to celebrate anything all the time. Since our room was situated directly over the restaurant, whenever I was in our room, I noticed the celebration music was always going and whenever I looked over the rail everyone was doing the napkin wave.
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely make sure he is wearing his birthday button proudly that day! When I made the reservations back in June, I did make sure the CM put a note on the ressie that it was his b-day. I think I'll remind the hostest when we check in.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Ok I just have to share this. On July 28th we headed to the studios at opening. Oldest daughter ran straight for TSM..grabbed fastpasses ...for an hour and ten minutes later. got in line for standby (20 minutes). Rode the ride, came out, 90 minute standby, took in some other attractions...youngest begged to go to Honey I Shrunk Playground..oldest balked..eventually caved in to little sis. As soon as we walked through the entrance we received the YOAMD Fastpasses...which made us all thrilled...and prompted the 8 year old to remind us the rest of the trip that we should do what she wanted because she got us YOAMD fast passes (good try, but didn't work). As soon as we could we grabbed one more set of fast passes for TSM (it was about 10 AM) and they were for the evening. So we were able to ride TSM 4 times that day! most times it was a 110+ minute wait for TSM.
Wow, that's lucky.
We didn't get any kind of YOAMD award nor did we see anyone get anything. When we were at the CRT dinner the people who won the overnight Cinderella suite that day were there having dinner and they were introduced by the Fairy Godmother.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Great report, Bill - thanks!

Sorry to hear about the hat incident. I know all about young-girl meltdowns. Oh, well. Hope she recovered eventually.

Well, you know what they say: "Hang onto your hats and glasses, folks, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness" :lol:
Thanks, she did recover. I knew it was only a matter of time before somthing like this happened. The kids weren't getting enough sleep, and they're not used to walking all day in the heat and having so much stimulation. It has caused my wife and I to rethink how any future WDW vacations will go. I'll go into more detail later, but most likely we'll go at a different time of the year, August was not as good as early June was last year. When it was just my wife and I we had gone the 1st two weeks of October back in 1990 and it was a great time. The parks closed earlier but you got to do everything with no crowds and you had time to do other more relaxing stuff. I know October is probably a busy time with all the Holloween stuff now, but we'll research it more. If we need to take the kids out of school, we may consider it, but we really don't want to do that.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
We made our way down mainstreet and turned towards Adventureland, my wife wanted a dolewhip in the worst way. We got to the stand and the sky opened up again. We ran into the small building in back of the stand that had a bunch of tables and chairs and ate our whips. I don't really see the big deal about the dolewhips, tastes like pineapple sherbert to me that I can buy locally. My wife called me a barbarian for not appreciating the delicateness of the treat.

:eek: Barbarian! :fork: :p ;)

You should of gone with the dole float then... its better IMO. :slurp:

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Continuing Saturday, August 2nd, DHS

After the disappointment of not being able to obtain a fastpass for TSM, we ducked into a shop and let our daughters both pick out new hats. The one my youngest lost on BTMR the night before was a blue Minnie Mouse hat we bought her last year at AK. She picked out a hat with a large, glittery image of tinkerbell on the front. Both girls have been in a tinkerbell phase since our trip to WDW last year. Shortly after coming home last year we repainted their bedroom and redecorated it with a Tinkerbell theme.

It seemed to be an off day at DHS that day. It seemed attractions kept going down throughout the day. The only information I could get from the various CMs was it was electrical. That morning Rock and Roller coaster was down as well as Star Tours. We did the Indiana Jones Stunt show, because we missed it last year. The show really hasn't changed since when this park first opened, which was the last time we saw it.

My wife needed sunscreen because she couldn't find the bottle we brought with us from home. Searched far and wide, found some in the shop near the muppets show.

We next did the Beauty and the Beast show and had a snack at the fruit stand nearby. It was getting near afternoon parade time so we got a spot in front of the Hall of fame area. I chose this spot after talking to several CMs. We never saw the new parade and I didn't know what to expect. If I would have stood in the original place I wanted to, I wouldn't have seen much. There are certain places where the parade stops and does it's thing and other places where it just passes by.

Block Party Bash didn't meet my expectation of what I thought it was going to be. The Toy Story float stopped directly in front of us, I thought our kids were going to dance and interact with the characters like the vacation planning video said. Instead a single female dancer pulled our girls out into the street and they did a short little dance which only lasted a minute or two, before they were sent back to the curb. Most of the show was contained with the characters remaining on the floats or walking around not interacting at all with the crowd other than pointing or waving. It was ok, but I liked the Stars and Motor Cars Parade better. Our kids had fun and liked it, so I guess that's all that matters.

We did the Little Mermaid show next. We had a Fantasmic Dinner show ADR at Hollywood & Vine at around 5:30 or so. We went over to 50's Prime Time cafe and used the restrooms there and went over to H&V to check in. They gave us a beeper and we went back to 50's Prime Time to the bar there and had a few beers and talked with some of the other guests there while our kids explored the lounge. It was my wife's idea to wait at the bar area, I didn't think they would let us, since we were dining at H & V. No one seemed to care, and it was much better sitting there than outside on those steel benches in the hot sun, like we did last year.

Our beeper went off after about 30 minutes, so we entered the H & V from the hallway between the two restaurants, which share the same restrooms. This confused the staff who thought we would come from the outside. Appearently not many people do what we did, they were suprised the beepers worked in the other restaurant. Dinner went well, a little different food from last year at the buffet but all was good. The restaurant was busy. It was getting close to 7:30 after we ate so we went to the park entrance to enter the Fantasmic show through the back entrance by the garage. The gate was closed still and there was a CM telling everybody that they weren't going to let anyone in yet because they were having electrical problems. They still intended to still do the show but didn't know how long it would be delayed. We explored some of the shops nearby and at about 8:30 they started letting everyone in. It was good I suppose coming in only 30 minutes before the show started, I avoided having to sit on those awful benches for no longer than I needed to. My back didn't hurt as much after the show as it did last year. The show was good, but I noticed the dragon was missing. In it's place
they had Malificent on top of what was the dragons body/platform and she waved her arms and flames appeared on the water instead of the stream of fire coming from the dragons mouth. I don't know if this was a permanent change or if it was a result of the electrical problems they were experiencing before. It definately wasn't an improvement. I remember the dragon effect being much more impressive, visually.

After Fantasmic I was going to try and get on ToT, but we were all getting tired so we just made our way to the park exit. We walked fairly slowly. It was then I realized how much better I thought Universal's version of Hollywood was better than Disney's version. My own opinion of course, not saying Disney's is bad, I just liked Universal's better. We became confused trying to find our bus stop. We were going towards where the bus dropped us off earlier instead of the pick up place and had to double back. Not necessarily a major mistake but when you're tired it can cause some to be just a little grumpy. The bus pick up for the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian loop was 2nd to the last, furthest away from the park entrance, naturally.

Once there we had to wait about 30 minutes for a bus. I noticed the bus wait for us this year was longer than it was last year. Standing room only for me, my wife and kids were able to get a seat though.

Got back to the Contemporary and got the kids settled. I made my daily run to get ice at the ice maker by the 6th floor elevator when I noticed something going on our floor on the same side of the hotel all the way at the other end of the hallway. There was a uniformed Disney security guard standing outside a room with a pile of luggage stacked in the hallway. I saw a heavyset man in a suit, walking in and out of the room, he seemed to be communicating with the security guard. Another security guard arrived from the elevators and he stood by the luggage while the heavyset man and other guard entered the open door to the room. It definately looked out of the ordinary. My curiosity was piqued, but it was none of my business as long as whatever it was that was going on wasn't going to affect the safety of me or my family. My gut told me that it was something criminal, but that was a guess since I saw no obvious presence of law enforcement officers. I carried on with my ice errand and went back into our room.

While out on our balcony about an hour later I saw an ambulance pull up to the front of the hotel with lights on, but it's siren off. I saw the ambulance crew enter the hotel with their equipment. About 30 minutes later I saw the same heavyset man I saw earlier standing outside near the ambulance. I saw the ambulance crew leave the hotel with no one on the gurney. I saw two people a man and women walk out of the hotel and they entered the ambulance. The heavy set man talked to the ambulance driver for a few minutes and the ambulance turned it's lights off and it drove away. I don't know if the two incidents were connected or not, but it added some intrigue to a relatively quiet late evening.

More later.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
:eek: Barbarian! :fork: :p ;)

You should of gone with the dole float then... its better IMO. :slurp:
That was what my wife had, now that I think about it. She bought me the whip to get me to try it, I just thought it was a smaller version of what she had. She had all that juice at the bottom and it was a lot bigger. It was a very hot day, so it began melting immediately.
I'm not much into sweets, I like salt and spice more in my treats.
To each his own.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
More pics:

Pic of where our room is.
It's on the first level above the monorail, 1st group of doors on the left.
The 2nd door from the right is our door. The monorail below is the local and is just exiting the Contemporary on it's way to the TTC. It runs directly below our room as you can see.

Another pic taken just outside our door overlooking Chef Mickey's and the construction below.
Just on the other side of the construction barrier is the Grab and Go snack shop.

A view of the express monorail coming into the Contemporary.
Notice the scaffolding on the right. There was some more scaffolding on the otherside and down and the other end of the Grand Canyon Concourse. There were ropes going up to the ceiling but nobody was using it during my stay.

A zoomed in view of the Poly from our Contemporary balcony.

The Wilderness lodge, taken from the 6th floor stairwell outside

Looking at the Contemporary with the bus stop below, from very near where we parked our van. You can also see the barrier under the monorail track that shields the construction of the new building.

Our view from the Contemporary just after sundown

A glance along the side of the Contemporary at sunrise.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Sunday, August 3rd,
We took the bus to DHS about an hour earlier then we did the day before.
Our plan was to get a FP for TSM.

For some reason after picking up people at the Poynesian, our bus didn't go to the GF like it did the day before. I didn't have to stand this time.

As soon as we got to the park my wife gave me her resort key/park ticket as well as the girls, and I made the mad dash to TSM to get the FPS. She was going to meet me at Star Wars area with the kids after. I made it to TSM fairly quickly and I noticed FPs were still available, funny that there wasn't anybody there getting them though the area was empty. The standby line was about 70 minutes, it was about 10:00-10:30 AM. The fastpass return time we got was 7:00-8:00 PM, pretty late! The FP attendant struck up a short conversation with me as I fed our cards in the machine. I told him how I was unable to get a FP the day before. He said that TSM had been very popular since it opened. I was curious to see if this ride delivered. For these people to be in the standby line for up to two hours I hope they were rewarded.

I met up with my wife near star tours, we rode the ride. We last rode this ride when it first opened over 20 years ago and it is still the same. In it's time I remember it being fun. This time, especially when compared to Universal's simulators, ST came off lame and dated, at least to us.

We next went to the Muppet 3D show. Since we couldn't do anything with a FP till after 7:00 we went over to the ToT to see what the standby line time was. When we got to the ToT we noticed the Standby time was only 30 minutes. We had never stood in the ToT standby line before so we decided to ride. Our kids didn't want to ride naturally, so we were going to do the child swap thing. Our kids were familiar with the process now so we didn't see the "freak out" thing they did last year. As we were in line I noticed the line getting longer behind us. They were opening up other lanes in the line to accommodate.

I rode first while my wife took the service elevator down with the kids to wait for my "safe" return. I noticed the changes that were made since last year and a few surprises. As I was going down on my 3rd or 4th drop, I noticed a resort ID/ park ticket floatiing in front of my face and moving over towards the front of the car. It reminded me of when you see people in space in a weightless environment. In a split second I realized it was my card and I instinctively reached out and grabbed it. It had been in my front shirt pocket. I never thought it would come out during the ride. I met my wife at the ride exit, she went back up the elevator to ride herself.

We caught the High Schol musical show in front of ther hat. I had talked to a CM earlier to find out where the best place for my kids to see the show. My wife told me after that she found it very attractive seeing me ask directions. I found it very rewarding, especially in shows or attractions we had never seen to ask a CM. I was never steered wrong. Our kids got picked to go out dance a little in the show. It was an ok show, I saw it more as a diversion than a main attraction. There was an announcement that this show was going to be rehashed and that a new 3rd version would be playing in Novemeber.

We had 4:30 ADRs for 50's Prime Time and reported in. Meal was good, wife hd the fried chicken, same as last year. I changed it up and had the pot roast. Our server was good got into the part. Had us wishing our neighbors at other tables greetings for birthdays and such, passing ketchup to other tables, etc. A very good time.

We next did Disney One Man's Dream and the Disney Animation show. Since we weren't gtoing to Fantasmic, having done it the day before we left the park a little earlier to catch wishes from our balcony back at the Contemporary.

We had to wait almost 45 minutes for a bus, I wasn't liking that too much, busses seemed to be coming and going quickly for the other resorts. Our bus stand looked like a deserted ghost town with tumble weeds and everything, like we were forgotten.

More later.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
wait, wait!! did you like TSM?
Wonder if it'll be this busy in October?

Great report, by the way.
I'm sorry...I forgot to add that. It seems I have more time at work to write this report than I do at home, even today Sunday. The kids start school tomorrow and the kids feet must have grown doing all that walking at WDW that the new shoes my wife bought them for school now don't fit either of them. We have to go to the store and try to exchange them today.

Anyway...we did TSM and it was better than I expected. My youngest wanted to do it again but there was no way. By that time the FPs were all gone and the standby line was 2 hours. It was disappointing for the kids not to go on again. Had it been Universal, we could have gone on 3 or for times in a row with the express passes we had there. You sit in a car and it flips you around before several different screens while you wear 3-D glasses. You shoot various types of ammo by pulling a cord from the gun you aim. It took me a couple of screens before I got the hang of it. I came close to having the highest score in my group, but I missed it by 100 points. It is quite addictive and fun. Though I would never wait in a two hour line to ride it.

Dwarful

TSM quickly became a favorite of our kids as well. If we hadn't received the Dream Fastpasses and already had regular fastpasses we never would have been able to do it four times in one day. It is a different experience each time you play, as each target does its own thing. My oldest made it her mission to get us wet each time!

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Great trip report! I'm enjoying it a lot; you're very detailed oriented and you're getting me SO excited for my trip next month.
Thanks, very nice of you to say.
Too many distractions at home to write my report.
I'll have to continue tomorrow morning at work. I have dead spots throughout the day that I'm able to acomplish more there. We only have one computer at home and having to grab computer time is rough.
I was doing my last installment yesterday while everyone was still in bed. I still missed putting the TSM ride in. The proper place to think about vacation is while at work.

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
TSM quickly became a favorite of our kids as well. If we hadn't received the Dream Fastpasses and already had regular fastpasses we never would have been able to do it four times in one day. It is a different experience each time you play, as each target does its own thing. My oldest made it her mission to get us wet each time!
That's the one thing I wished we could have done, ride TSM more than one to see how things change up. I remeber getting sprayed a little from the water balloon effect. Would have liked to seen more.

KingStefan

Thanks so much for your reports. It's so cool that your family is so much like mine. (DDs 14 and 10). It really makes me want to be there again. I'm glad you had such a great trip!

JustPlainBill

Original Poster
Continuing, Sunday Evening August 3rd

We boarded our bus back to the Contemporary resort. I had to stand while the family sat.

I read yesterday a posting on this site regarding the use of Mears' busses in the Disney bus routes. I noticed the same thing that day. It seemed they were being used mostly for the value loops. I also noticed Disney cruise line busses in the mix as well. The added busses didn't help the wait times in my resort loop. Looking out over my balcony at the Contemporary I noticed this as well in the mix of busses going to the MK.

We got back to our hotel, the Grand Canyon Concourse was always quieter in the evening than it was in the morning. No construction noise and Chef Mickeys though still noisy, was still much quieter. We had about an hour until Wishes started so we got the kids ready for bed. They both have braces so it takes awhile to get their teeth brushed. The youngest just finished with her retainer, she has rubberbands now that are very difficult to install, the bands are so small we have to use a tool given to us by her Orthodontist.

I don't remember if it was Sunday or Monday night, but wishes was delayed for almost 30 minutes, it might have been Monday night. It is an odd perspective to view wishes from, the MK side of the Contemporary. Unlike Fantasy in the Sky, the fireworks show we watched 21 years ago from the Contemporary, we could not hear any audio during the show, a disappointment. We used to be able to hear the Haunted Mansion's howling dog as well, but not this time. It must be because of different wind patterns, because even last year I could hear more from my Polynesian balcony from the MK, even some parade music once and while. I remember hearing some Wishes audio too.

The show was still good but different. Afterwards we put the kids in bed and they feel asleep watching the Disney cartoon loop on the resorts television channel. Funny, it is the same loop that played last year when we stayed at the Poly and Yacht Club. A mixture of old cartoons including Steamboat Willy (my personal favorite), played in a 60 minute loop. Our kids loved it, since it was a reminder of our last vacation and most of the cartoons we didn't have at home. I used it to wake them up in the morning to it, I would turn on the TV, put on the cartoon loop and they would perk up and eventually wake up. It's the same channel the resorts play in their lobbies.

Me and my wife would end the day sitting on the balcony watching the castle lights change drinking wine or champaign to relax. We were on the lowest row of balconies and this afforded an obvious disadvantage due to the shape of the Contemporary. If anyone above our room happened to drop anything over their rail it would find itself on our balcony. I got hit with something, I thought was a peanut shell, I identified it as a Dorito the next morning. No cigarette butts, though, usually food items would fall into our laps.

Continue to the next day.

Monday, August 4th, Animal Kingdom.

I didn't necessarily want to go to the AK, having a not so good 1st visit last year. I caved when my wife said we should give it a second chance. We decided to make an effort to see the attractions we missed last year, knowing we probably won't get to do everything.

One of the biggest mistakes we made this year was visiting the parks on late EMH. last year in early June this strategy seemed to work well for us. But this year it backfired. The parks were always very crowded, mostly for one reason or another when it came time for late EMH to kick in we would run out of steam and we would have to leave.

The first thing I noticed that day was how hot it was, it was the same last year. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or was it always hot at the AK? I wasn't never able to get used to the heat, I was constantly sweating. We got FPs for the Safari, we had about 2 hours to kill before they came due. We did the Rafiki planet watch and took the train the conservation station. The CM that loaded the trains spoke with us a bit. He mentioned in passing about a monkey that had escaped recently. He said it didn't make the news. This concerned my youngest daughter, so the CM tried to play it down, knowing my kid was now scared. I felt bad for him he tried to calm her down by saying the animals aren't always escaping but with my youngest nothing would help, she would be anxious for at least an hour or so, I felt bad for myself as well.

The whole Rafiki thing was nice, the only thing I would change would be the petting zoo. The only animals around were a bunch of goats.

We got on the Safari, that was a disappointment as well, didn't see very many animals, being as it was so hot I imagine. If I was an animal in that park I would have been hiding in the shade as well. The story line is a little old as well, saving the baby elephant from poachers. Even the driver seemed bored with it.

We grabbed lunch at Flame Tree BBQ, not bad food. We had a table overlooking EE.

We went to the dinosaur area, someone gave us 4 FPs for Primeval Whirl. The wife and kids didn't want to ride it. I wanted to try it so I rode it alone. I didn't like the ride that much. I liked the hills and the spinning, I didn't like the whipping around corners.

We next did the Nemo show. This show was better than we expected. We didn't think it was going to be that good based on what we saw form the vacation DVD, but it turned out to be very good.

We made our way over to Camp Minnie & Mickey and took in the Festival of the Lion King, another good show, we saw this one last year so it was a repeat. Getting close to dinnertime we didn't know where to eat. My wife suggested Rain Forest Cafe, I didn't really want to go there but we made our way there anyway. The place was packed and there was no way we were going to get a table there. Since we were beat, we decided to go back to the Contemporary and grab something there. We left AK at about 7:00 PM We got our bus, had to wait about 40 minutes before one came, and we got back to our hotel. We first stopped at the Wave to see if we could get in there, but when we read the menu outside the restaurant we couldn't find anything our kids would eat so we passed. I toyed with the notion we could walk in to Chef Mickeys, but the thought quickly passed thinking it would be impossible. We wound up going to the Grab & Go and bringing food back to our room. We did the same as yesterday and watched wishes from our balcony before retiring for the night.

More later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom