Toontown demolition has started!

MKCP 1985

And for what it's worth, Toontown was one of my favorite sections in the park. I liked it's architecture, music loop, backstory, theme, and overall concept better than ALL of the others except Fantasyland. AND, I don't have any children and am over 30! ;)

Don't fret, David. You can still visit Dinoland and Camp Mickey Minnie over at the Animal Kingdom park. :wave:

David S.

I don't care for those as much. You can't visit Mickey and Minnie's Houses in those, and they don't have a music loop with the songs and scores from the classic Disney 30's and 40's shorts that I love so much.

And Camp Minnie-Mickey has lost much of its appeal since they closed my beloved Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends show and replaced it with an empty theatre. (I still enjoy the Lion King show, though).

Still, I do enjoy those sections and think their theming and backstory is better than the chorus of fanboy haters make them out to be.

So if there is any consolation for me, it's that DL still has their Toontown, (AND a larger attraction roster in their Fantasyland than the MK will have when the expansion is FINISHED), meaning that Disneyland will get much more of my money in the future than WDW and their watered down, Disneyland-lite known as the MK will!

jmick71

every body knows that the current plan for sbc is carnival games :brick: the only attractions that it seems we r geting is goofini and dumbo but idk what the posters are about that have peat and the three pigs on them (maybe themes of carnival games :cry:) also we might get a train themed water play ground :brick:honestly i would rather have toon town or even pixie hollow (at least we would have gotten more rides And probably better theming even if it was for little girls) with the current plans of Story book circus

Tom

Beta Return
every body knows that the current plan for sbc is carnival games :brick: the only attractions that it seems we r geting is goofini and dumbo but idk what the posters are about that have peat and the three pigs on them (maybe themes of carnival games :cry:) also we might get a train themed water play ground :brick:honestly i would rather have toon town or even pixie hollow (at least we would have gotten more rides And probably better theming even if it was for little girls) with the current plans of Story book circus

Yup. Carnival games and a Casey Jr water play area. Not sure about the three pigs thing.

I too feel bad for those families with children who really enjoyed Toontown. I grew up with the entire evolution (Birthday Land, Starland, Toontown), but I think it's getting a much needed overhaul/replacements.

If they build anything that's even close to what is currently planned, I think those families who are currently mourning will be pleasantly surprised. Except for Mickey and Minnie's ACTUAL houses, pretty much all of the Toontown offerings will be reincarnated in a "plussed" form.

I feel bad for my family as a whole for the loss of Toontown - but I have to say that, at least as far as my own children were concerned, Toontown WAS Mickey and Minnie's houses. Yes, they enjoy the barnstormer and will still enjoy it. And yes they've frolicked in Donald's boat and the play area. But it was ALL about Mickey and Minnie's houses. Each time they visited they would discover something new to love in the houses. And each time we visited, I'd take their photo at the mailboxes outside.

New structurally sound and fancied up tents are not going to cut it as a replacement for Mickey and Minnie's homes. Not even close.

The first day we visit this storybook circus land, my kids, and I, are going to be so bummed. I am sad they will have their first disappointment with Disney so young.

David S.

New structurally sound and fancied up tents are not going to cut it as a replacement for Mickey and Minnie's homes. Not even close.

Well said, DisneyHeather, I completely agree. The tents seem to be the least liked elements of Toontown Fair, both among its fans and its haters, yet they get to stay (as new ones) and the most popular elements, Mickey and Minnie's Houses, were apparently demolished. It makes no sense.

The first day we visit this storybook circus land, my kids, and I, are going to be so bummed. I am sad they will have their first disappointment with Disney so young.

I am sad to hear that as well. The same thing happened to me when I was a little kid on our first trip after the Mickey Mouse Revue was sent to Tokyo in 1980. This was before the days when you knew everything that was happening in the parks instantly from the internet. I remember my parents and I walking down Main Street and through the Castle with excitement and anticipation to do my favorite attraction, the Mickey Mouse Revue, as our first attraction on the first day of our trip. To our shock we saw a closed down theatre and a CM outside told us my favorite attraction was gone forever to be part of Tokyo Disneyland. I cried right there on the spot. :(

Tom

Beta Return

I would agree with this. Bringing back tents is pretty lame. And I'm still not sold on the fact that they'll actually replace the tents with new ones. The footprints for the new ones are exactly the same as the old ones, and knowing TDO, that's where they'll cut $$.

Ignoring the tents, I still think the new land will be MUCH nicer than the old land. But yes, it's indeed a shame to lose the houses.

juan

TTF isn't even demolished and Circusland isn't even built yet, but you are already disappointed. :brick:
Why not be optimistic and wait until your first visit before passing such harsh judgment?

David S.

TTF isn't even demolished and Circusland isn't even built yet, but you are already disappointed. :brick:
Why not be optimistic and wait until your first visit before passing such harsh judgment?

I didn't think she was being "harsh" at all, but realistic. If you KNOW something you love won't be there (the Houses, which, unless Disney miraculously changes their mind, won't be), that aspect will be disappointing no matter how much you like the new Mermaid ride or whatever they are putting in Circusland. Just as I was CRUSHED on my first visit after the Mickey Mouse Revue was gone (to name just one example), even though I enjoyed all my other old favorites that trip, like Small World, CBJ, and Tiki Room, and enjoyed the (then) new Thunder Mountain. It doesn't mean the whole trip will be disappointing, but to have something you love passionately, that you consider a vital and important part of the "Magic" no longer there, can be very sad and painful, and thus, disappointing.

Harsh? Have you read 93% of the other comments on this board?????

I'm optimistic about Dumbo - I'm thrilled the wait will be so much better, the old (current) one wasn't the best.

I'm optimistic about the Great Goofini - even though Goofy is not my personal favorite character, my kids love that ride, as do many, and so I'm thrilled that it is staying.

I'm optimistic about the water play area - I am sure it will be enjoyed by so many.

I don't care for the tents. I haven't cared for them in the past, and yes, I am disappointed they are being replaced with more tents.

I don't care for the circus theme. I don't care for circuses very much in general. I'd rather have seen Pixie Hollow - the theme of that matches my personal preferences more. I'd have loved to see Wonderland. Different strokes for different folks.

And yes, I am extremely disappointed that Mickey and Minnie's houses are gone. It was a favorite "attraction" for my family and I - and I have many wonderful memories and lots of nostalgia for the houses. My disappointment comes from knowing how my children will be disappointed when they see the houses gone. I do not know if you have children of your own - if you do, I am sure you will understand how their disappointment becomes your own.

jt04

I would agree with this. Bringing back tents is pretty lame. And I'm still not sold on the fact that they'll actually replace the tents with new ones. The footprints for the new ones are exactly the same as the old ones, and knowing TDO, that's where they'll cut $$.

Ignoring the tents, I still think the new land will be MUCH nicer than the old land. But yes, it's indeed a shame to lose the houses.

Oh no, this project is 100% staggs and his team out of Glendale. They own this land and whatever it turns out to be. Even TDO wouldn't be able to save the tents at this point (if they still had much say in these matters). They tents look beyond hope.

It is time for everyone to update the thought process about TDO that was dubious even a few years ago. Times have changed. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It is time for everyone to update the thought process about TDO that was dubious even a few years ago. Times have changed. :)
If TDO had their way the Mine Coaster would still be a bunch of M&G.

If Glendale had their way Space Mountain would be a worthy E Ticket for the 21st century.

Tom

Beta Return

If Glendale had their way Space Mountain would be a worthy E Ticket for the 21st century.

So it sounds like someone out in Missouri or Oklahoma must be running things.

jt04

If I had my way the Mine Coaster would have have been built below the M&G's. :lol:

And the Space Mountain episode is likely why TDO is not making the decisions anymore. So that may be good in the long run. I see a positive side to keeping SM's original configuration. Nostalgia and all. But I wish we could see the concepts of what the complete overhaul would have been. Perhaps it will be built somewhere else. :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But I wish we could see the concepts of what the complete overhaul would have been. Perhaps it will be built somewhere else. :shrug:
Inline seating with audio?

Lifthill effect from DL but on a massive scale?

New re entry tunnels?

Bumps that don`t bump?

Turns that curve?

But I digress....

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Why do you guys want everything to be like Disneyland? I much prefer that we have a different space mountain. It's classic! When I finally get to dl I want things to be different. Why would I even visit another park if we all had the same space mountain, or haunted mansion, etc?

And the whole tdo bashing thing is really lame now. Especially with all the changes that have been ongoing in the mk. Their even making changes people like at epcot. Let it go!

Kiff

Inline seating with audio?

Lifthill effect from DL but on a massive scale?

New re entry tunnels?

Bumps that don`t bump?

Turns that curve?

But I digress....

Ugh. Talk about depressing. Oh what we could have had. I guess I will have to save my SM fun for my occasional DL trips. Maybe in 2035 we will get another refurb... it's not that far off right. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom