Time Racer Coming

pheneix

Forget the cheese and mousetrap, all you need is a few hundred dollars tied to a string and he'll go where ever you want him to go.

General Grizz

Or we can dress up like the candy-man in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and lead them into a bank...but then it turns into a cage!! Ha ha! :D Then we can put them all in the lost island of executives... :p

General Grizz

By the way, I gave One Little Spark the Magic Highways idea...yup, all mine!! :p I really wish I could ride that, especially after hearing the wonderful soundtrack, narrated by Walt Disney himself!

SamatBCV

The fact that someone brought up before about the Euro park ride being a dome versus a sphere leads me to a question. Would the structure of SE be able to handle a thrill ride. I know it holds up the ride system and people currently, but the forces would be dramatically different on a rollercoaster (if that is what time racers would be). All of the supports for the coaster would presumably be tied to just the three existing legs unless they completely changed the look of SE. Any engineers out there that would know?

"God help us, we're in the hands of engineers" -- Jurassic Park

SirNim

Originally posted by SamatBCV
The fact that someone brought up before about the Euro park ride being a dome versus a sphere leads me to a question. Would the structure of SE be able to handle a thrill ride. I know it holds up the ride system and people currently, but the forces would be dramatically different on a rollercoaster (if that is what time racers would be). All of the supports for the coaster would presumably be tied to just the three existing legs unless they completely changed the look of SE. Any engineers out there that would know?

Yeah... Although I'm not an engineer, I think it would be safe to presume the SE geosphere structure was not built to, and could not hold, a roller coaster structure internally. Plus, to build a roller coaster, you'd have to get rid of some (most) of the floor wrapped around the middle of the sphere, leaving the structure very unsupported and shaky.:confused:

pheneix

>>>you'd have to get rid of some (most) of the floor wrapped around the middle of the sphere, leaving the structure very unsupported and shaky :confused: <<<

You are correct. If you get rid of the helix the geosphere will collapse in on itself like a deflated balloon.

The current ride system is built INTO this floor.

MicBat

In the words of another member, and I quote... "It's the end of the world!!!!!!" :lol:
I'll miss SE, but bring on the Time Racers!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by Main Street USA
For those of you who seem amazed that there is a theme park in Europe who "ripped-off" Disney's SE, I'm going to assume you never visited this thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8328

THIS is, by far, the biggest and most blatant rip-off in history!:)

Couple of comments

1) Who would want to rip off IASW? Those dolls are evil enough at disney. I'd hate to see what happens when they get rid of the manditory "good" influence Disney has on them.

2) The comments about the geosphere's structural integrity with a roller coaster inside makes me feel very good about this new ride's chances. I don't think it'll be a roller-coaster. Call it a hunch. Besides - if it was, it would be another wild-mouse like Space Mtn.

If you're going to put a new ride in better make sure it can stand up with new technologies. Not run along-side SM.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by SamatBCV

Don't quote me on this one...but I believe it has 6 existing "legs" (not that it would be feasible with these 6 structural members...because like stated...the helix needs to remain)...for instance, if you have an "archway" of stones...and you remove the top stone, the whole arch collapses because it is called the "key stone" the same would happen if you removed the helix. (it's like this because an archway is in essence 2 dimensional where a sphere is 3 dimensional)

From what I understand, theoreticly you could completely gut SE and the sphere would remain stable. The reason for this is that, according to physics anyway, the load is equal at all points along the sphere so they all cancel out making the structure stable.

jwbeck3

I saw pictures of a website of a theme park with the rides called, Spacheship Earth and Universe of Energy, I was shocked that they could use the same names, I think the park is somewhere in Asia but I'm not positive

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by DVC_Couple_PA
From what I understand, theoreticly you could completely gut SE and the sphere would remain stable. The reason for this is that, according to physics anyway, the load is equal at all points along the sphere so they all cancel out making the structure stable.

Well, yes...in THEORY...a sphere is the only PERFECT structure...BUT...that PERFECT structure would have to be built in a PERFECT world...(We have to face facts...this ISN'T a perfect world...and the workers who constructed it may not have been "Perfect" throughout the entire job)

(Oh...and that helix...is just STRUCTURAL...think of it this way...say you have a house of cards...and you take just ONE card away...chances are...it's gonna fall)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom