Time Racer Coming

jcrb

Original Poster
Time Racer Coming

- Cast Members at Space Ship Earth have told me that they are going to be trained for the Universe of Energy. They also told me the next year AT&T is pulling out (no big surprise).

Monorail Lime

I assume he means UoE itself since the Time Racers ride system will be nothing like UoE. They are being trained for UoE so they will have something to do while Spaceship Earth is closed.

Once upon a time cast members were trained for several Future World attractions and moved between them all the time. Rehabs were much easier to deal with in those days. I wonder why they changed to the new scheduling system, I can't think of any positives for it.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Monorail Lime
I wonder why they changed to the new scheduling system, I can't think of any positives for it.

it takes less CM's to run an attraction. With CDS in place, there isn't one CM always on break, rather the computer assigning breaks and whatnot

stingrock23

I feel the same. The idea that spaceship earth as we know it won't be around for long is disheartening. But let's enjoy it while it's still here.

MGM WDWFan

This is really bothersome to me...but all I can say is that this Time Racers mess had better be really worth it. I'm still kind of seething over WoM being taken down regardless of how neat Test Track is.

--MGM

Invero

Here's my question... so AT&T pulls out... now we have SE with no sponsor. Would Disney really invest so much money in a new ride for SE without a sponsor?

On the other hand... the ride system itself is quite old, and every time I ride it, it sounds worse and worse. Perhaps (at the very least) it needs a new omnimover system?

*shrug* but... i know nothing. :)

General Grizz

The rumor is Microsoft will take over sponsorship. They just signed an agreement with Disney, and are also planning the "Destination Disney" and MSN workings.

It does seem strange to gut and completely change the gateway attraction (and the one everyone knows) at a park? Spaceship Earth is the second-most-famous WDW building and the only building at Epcot that's "household knowledge." However, I decided to try to look at this from a rational point of view.

Here's where I see the pros and cons of gutting the attraction:

Pros:
1) The ride system is a bit dated (essentially similar to the Haunted Mansion). Do you want such a dated ride system in Future World's main attraction?
2) The story lacks "pizzazz." Note that I personally don't agree with this assessment, but many people might.
3) A slow moving animatronic-viewing ride with no real "thrills" doesn't cut it any more, again, for the most recognizable attraction at the park, and one of the first and last things people ride at Epcot, and the ride most likely to help mold overall opinions of the park.
4) Keep in mind that they can gut the inside, and build something new, and still call the building "Spaceship Earth." Much like how the Tree of Life contains "It's Tough to Be a Bug" inside. The actual "look" of the attraction would possibly not change at all.
5) Epcot is supposed to be continually changing.

Cons:
1) It is one of the original Epcot attractions. Many people consider it a classic. Would they take out "it's a small world?" No way. (However, Disney may think of it as a classic like Mr. Toad - a loved ride by a small subset, but most people want something more exciting.)
2) It's actually educational, which is getting more and more unusual at Epcot.
3) It just sounds wrong, like if they gutted Cinderella's castle and put a thrill ride in there.

I'm sure I missed some points on both sides, but weighing the positives against the negatives, I can see how Disney came up with the decision, both for economic reasons and to keep the park "fresh" and "modern."

Personally, I have mixed emotions - I do enjoy Spaceship Earth. however, I can see how something new and exciting in the most prime piece of real estate at the whole Disney resort would be a great kick in the pants for Epcot as a whole.

If I was appointed "person who makes all decisions for Disney," if I was doing what's in the best interest of the stockholders, I'd say build the new attraction. If I was doing what I thought was in the best interest of the park and myself, I'd have to think about it a lot more, but with the limited info out there, I think I'd lean towards gutting Spaceship Earth. :eek:

General Grizz

The only reasons I am "queasy" as 10021982 put it, well, I am just afraid of another Test Track or another JIYI or even another JII With Figment...

I would prefer an attraction that really appeals to the SE audience. It doesn't need a thrill, Disney isn't about that. But it really needs that essence...and that FAMILY appeal...and that quality.

Anyway, I will be recording SE in a few days/maybe a week and will do one side, then another. I have a digital camera, which will really make it good quality.

I'll also try to blacklight the old Spaceship from the 1982 version which is painted black. Anyone else want any "specific" things that aren't dominant recorded?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Time Racers may still be several years away.

With AT&T pulling out, they're going to have to remove all references to them, including much of the New Global Neighborhood. My guess (and hope) is that SE will only be closed for a few weeks while the necessary changes are made, with the CM's being temporarily shifted over to UoE/Wonders. After everything's done, SE will reopen for however much time it's got left.

WDWspider

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
The only reasons I am "queasy" as 10021982 put it, well, I am just afraid of another Test Track or another JIYI or even another JII With Figment...

I would prefer an attraction that really appeals to the SE audience. It doesn't need a thrill, Disney isn't about that. But it really needs that essence...and that FAMILY appeal...and that quality.

Anyway, I will be recording SE in a few days/maybe a week and will do one side, then another. I have a digital camera, which will really make it good quality.

I'll also try to blacklight the old Spaceship from the 1982 version which is painted black. Anyone else want any "specific" things that aren't dominant recorded?

Well, I really do understand your reasons on Test Track, but it can't be called a failure unlike JII ver. 2 & 3. Still I think Disney will be very careful with their main EPCOT icon.

Scar Junior

I'm fine with a change for spaceship earth. I'm also fine with it staying. I love it but i am curious as to what they have in mind. I don't think it will be a thrill ride and want to stress that there have been no reasons for people to think that it will be a thrill ride.

I think they should just take out the Global Neighborhood. I never have liked it. (ironicly i spend about 30 min - 1 hr every year in it!).

Scar Junior

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
The rumor is Microsoft will take over sponsorship. They just signed an agreement with Disney, and are also planning the "Destination Disney" and MSN workings.

Huh? Whats destination disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom