Time Racer Coming

Buford

Wanna hear more?

I dreamt of a giant tomatoe growing out of the Land
That serpent like Dino in the UOE trying to kill me
Riding Test Track (before it opened, of course) and crashing through glass into World of Motion
Seeing the Kitchen Kabaret AAs freeze into aluminum and burst apart...

Yeah, scary. I wonder why it's EPCOT I have bad dreams... ('xcept that TT one!) :animwink:

jmarc63

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
Don't quote me on this one...but I believe it has 6 existing "legs" (not that it would be feasible with these 6 structural members...because like stated...the helix needs to remain)...for instance, if you have an "archway" of stones...and you remove the top stone, the whole arch collapses because it is called the "key stone" the same would happen if you removed the helix. (it's like this because an archway is in essence 2 dimensional where a sphere is 3 dimensional)

SE has four supporting legs one at each corner of the geosphere of equal distance apart from eachother

Go to this link to see a construction photo I posted eariler http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16941&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

SamatBCV

Originally posted by MicBat
This thread is bringing back horrible memories of senior year.... PHYSICS!!! :eek:

Yeah, its GREAT :hammer:

Hey, I have a degree in Physics. How often do you think I get to talk about it like this?:lol:

jmarc63

Originally posted by SamatBCV
Thanks jmarc. Based on that photo its obvious that the structure does need the helix.

I won't debate anyone on weather the helix as you refer to it , If removed would affect the structual integrity of the Geosphere, but as you can plainly see in the photo I posted ,that the "helix" was used for stability to erect the primary steel supports before the triangular elements were erected.. IMO that method of construstion was probably cheaper and easier than mearly constructing two preassembled halfs and mounting the lower section to the support legs and installing the upper half onto the bottom half.

Maybe were correct on the structual intergeity assumption and they would need to retofit the existing structure to compensate for the "helix" removal, if they were to install a coaster inside SE, and maybe it would take the two years that it had been rumored that SE would be closed to do this.

I really hope they dont put a coaster in there and just update it to a newerattraction with another type of Omnimover system.

SamatBCV

I don't think you have to worry about a roller coaster in there. To do that they'd have to practically rebuild the entire structure. Regardless of whether the spine would have to be removed or not, there are no existing supports that would handle the side to side forces of a high speed ride.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
This is purely a guess (not based on any real information). Based on the structure they have to work with, I would imagine (if the information that it will be a "thrill" ride is correct) it will be more like Universal's "Spiderman" than a coaster. Something like that should be possible with the existing structure.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by isnet396
Last I was at Universal was 8 years ago. Anyone care to inform as to why Spidey is such an 'amazing" ride?

Here's a quick "jist" of Spiderman...and this will NOT do this ride justice...

Take Winnie the Pooh...(ride technology is similar...I know...it's a long shot)...put in a touch of "It's Tough to Be a Bug" and VOILA...you have Spider-man :lol:

Seriously though...you sit in a "simulator" type car...with 3D glasses...you move from scene to scene (like Pooh) but each scene has a large screen and you see Spiderman battle his enemies but it puts you RIGHT in the middle of the battles. Now, top it off with REAL effects (flames, water, wind, smoke) and top it off with a 400ft virtual plunge off of a skyscraper. (your car interacts with EVERYTHING...from spinning effects to getting "shocked" to even moving when Spidey jumps on the hood :) )

This is probably one of the best rides HANDS DOWN that I have ever been on.

(Oh...and remember how people say that Disney needs a "family" ride that everyone can enjoy...well, even though there is a height requirement for Spidey...EVERYONE (from a 4 year old up to my grandmother...) LOVED SPIDERMAN! (It would be considered a THRILL ride at WDW...but...I consider it one of the "family" rides at Universal)

pheneix

>>>Take Winnie the Pooh...(ride technology is similar...I know...it's a long shot)...put in a touch of "It's Tough to Be a Bug" and VOILA...you have Spider-man<<<

A much better analogy would be like crossing Indiana Jones Adventure with Captain EO (I know, it's old, but is a heck of lot cooler than any other 3D movie Disney has out right now.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>Take Winnie the Pooh...(ride technology is similar...I know...it's a long shot)...put in a touch of "It's Tough to Be a Bug" and VOILA...you have Spider-man<<<

A much better analogy would be like crossing Indiana Jones Adventure with Captain EO (I know, it's old, but is a heck of lot cooler than any other 3D movie Disney has out right now.

(agreed but I used It's Tough to Be a Bug because of the "in-theater" effects)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by WDWFREAK53

This is probably one of the best rides HANDS DOWN that I have ever been on.

(Oh...and remember how people say that Disney needs a "family" ride that everyone can enjoy...well, even though there is a height requirement for Spidey...EVERYONE (from a 4 year old up to my grandmother...) LOVED SPIDERMAN! (It would be considered a THRILL ride at WDW...but...I consider it one of the "family" rides at Universal)

Agree 100% on this and no inversions or high speed launces to be found.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by pheneix

Really? I love Muppets, Bug and HISTA, and never really cared that much about EO... :lookaroun Maybe I don't remember it well... :zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom