Time Racer Coming

SirNim

Originally posted by Brooke
when i go to theme parks i go to have fun and get AWAY from school, not to go to learn...EPCOT needs more thrills imo...

Thrills are fine...

so long as they are balanced out with experinces for children and the family.

And educative attractions can be presented in a fun way, no doubt about that!! :rolleyes:

MKCustodial

when i go to theme parks i go to have fun and get AWAY from school, not to go to learn...EPCOT needs more thrills imo...

Well, ok, but you can't honestly say WDW is a THEME PARK, can you? ;)
And besides, the whole point of the Experimental Prototype Comunity of Tomorrow is to teach while entertaining. It always was and it always *should* be. Let's just hope the Imagineers remember that.

Brooke

Originally posted by SirNimajneb

And educative attractions can be presented in a fun way, no doubt about that!! :rolleyes:

yes i agree with that...but i also think SE is the most boring ride of all timeee......:snore:

General Grizz

Still, the heart of all Disney fans is the heart of all fans who love Disney for its foundation and purposes. So yes, there needs to be a balance sure. As long as that balance is MEANINGFUL...that's the point here. So that it can be enjoyed by everyone. And not at the expense of an attraction full of the quality and essence. Remember what Disney is...and what it's about behind the classic attractions, shows, etc. ... ;)

BTW - about the playground kids, you see, this is what I don't like: (1) Thrill ride for thrill fans (2) Playground for kids...okay, so now they are divided. But the whole point is for parents and children to have fun together - not for the kids to go to this part and dad to stay with the kid, while mom goes over there... Just like the new Disney Channel, it's going against its own..it's own purpose! :lol:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
yes i agree with that...but i also think SE is the most boring ride of all timeee......:snore:

it's the quintessential makeout ride...

WDWspider

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Geez, Spider-man! Now I have to go countin....

Let's see...From Main Street...

*five hours later*

Dang! Now I have to deal with overseas parks!

Don't forget all the Communicore and Innovention attractions, and Ice Station Cool (it's a little educational), and even the Magic Kingdom Railroad teaches something at the Pocahontas part :D .

Now defining what FUN is to each person may be a bit harder... I find the Living with the Land ride to be fun. :lookaroun

Raidermatt

BTW - about the playground kids, you see, this is what I don't like: (1) Thrill ride for thrill fans (2) Playground for kids...okay, so now they are divided. But the whole point is for parents and children to have fun together - not for the kids to go to this part and dad to stay with the kid, while mom goes over there...

Exactly.

That's really what I was getting at with my Six Flags comment earlier. Six Flags/Paramount/etc usually have things for kids to do. They usually have carousels, games, playgrounds, spinners, etc. Then they have the height restricted stuff. Its one or the other, rarely both.

While Disney does have some exceptions, the EMPHASIS was always on "whole family" attractions. The recent editions, with the exception of the 3d movies, are getting away from that. They are abandoning the middle, and instead hitting the two extremes.

Why?

Because its EASIER. Kids love spinners. They don't care if Mommy and Daddy do or not. So put a spinner in every park, and you've got happy kids. Kids love playgrounds, too.

Many adults and teens love thrill rides. You don't even have to have a story around it. Just build a thrilling ride, and they will like it. Of course, the kiddies can't go on it. And those who are "motion averse" are left out, but they can head over to the spinners...

However, making entertaining, story-driven attractions that don't spin or flip you, yet still "WOW" you is difficult. It takes a great deal of effort and creativity. Much more than using physical thrills to "WOW" you.

Now, that doesn't mean that M:S won't have a good story. I don't know. But the pattern has been to decrease the story and "show" that go into attractions. TT and RnRC are great rides, but is their story and themeing as strong as ToT and Splash? Then you go to DCA, and there's Soarin' and Screamin', which are completely devoid of story. AK gave us TS and PW. A kiddie ride and a height restricted ride, with a "questionable" story at best. MK got Aladdin, which could be classified as nicely themed, but again, another spinner directed solely at the kiddies.

Only Philharmagic holds any hope for the whole family to stick together, and I am looking forward to it. But its still another 3D movie, which seems to be the only type of "whole family" attraction they can come up with.

Its a disturbing pattern.

juan

the quality of the SE ride has seriously deteriorated within the past few years.

I cannot remember a ride on it that has made it all the way through without taking a long stop (not counting handicap stops)

Last month I rode it and lurched loudly and roughly to a stop (sounded like it jumped the track)

It needs gutted.

It won't collapse though if it is guted, because of the structure

Here is a thrill ride in a SE type building:
http://www.rcdb.com/installationdetail973.htm

SirNim

Originally posted by juan
the quality of the SE ride has seriously deteriorated within the past few years.

I cannot remember a ride on it that has made it all the way through without taking a long stop (not counting handicap stops)

Last month I rode it and lurched loudly and roughly to a stop (sounded like it jumped the track)

It needs gutted.

That is SOOOOO WEIRD!!! You just never expect to see a geosphere (actually, Eurostat appears to be a geodesic dome) anywhere outside WDW!! It boggles my mind! It's like Space Mountain inside Spaceship eArth!

dmspilot00

That Europa ride is outrageous! That is an exact copy of SE, and it even has all those triangle things all over it!! How rude!!! Can't this park come up with an original idea instead of copying someone elses--it's bad enough to copy the idea of building a geodesic dome as the center of a park, but to put silver metallic triangle things all over it (aren't they just decoration?) and make it look exactly like another one....

Personally I think it is good for Epcot to change, but the direction in which it is changing is wrong. If you want thrill rides, then DON'T GO TO EPCOT!!!! As someone once said, Epcot is a park that was intended for similar audiences as the Discovery Channel and such. It's sad to see that Disney has forgotten that they can achieve an equal or better "Wow" factor without physical thrills...

General Grizz

Thread within a Thread

Okay, men and women! Tennis Court Oath! Let's set up a national assembly to draft the constitution!

First, we have to get their attention.

MONEY!!

There, now we should have a nice audience.

Anyway, by request:

ATTRACION REPLACEMENT

1. Thou shalt replace with essence.

2. Thou shalt replace with quality.

3. Thou shalt not replace Carousel of Progress.

4. Thou shalt not covet Universal Studio's ride systems.

5. Thou shalt replace family-friendly attractions with family-friendly attractions.

6. Thou shalt maintain originality.

7. Thou shalt not replace Animatronics with screens.

8. Thou shalt entertain families.

9. Thou shalt not close an attraction without tribute to the original in merchandising and eventful means with prior notice.

10. Thou shalt not put in a thrill ride for the means of thrills.

COMPANY WORKS

1. Thou shalt honor thy founder, Walt Disney.

2. Thou shalt not honor false idols, like money.

3. Thou shalt not create excuses for shortcomings.

4. Thou shalt entertain families.

5. Thou shalt follow thy founder's visions and not go against it for any purposes, including money. (AND THAT MEANS THOU SHALT ESPECIALLY NOT SUPPORT ADULT ENTERTAINMENT!!!)

Any more? :)

mlnance

My Ideas

Hello Everyone,

I am going to layout my opinion about this entire subject. I am 20 years old, (grew up in the 80s and 90s). I have been to WDW twice in my life (1988 & 1998). And right now I am planning on going alone to WDW in August of 2003 (my 21st birthday).

I am just as in love with the "older" rides at WDW as anyone else, cause I rode on them when I was little. If WDW had any sense, they could design a Museum right on WDW property to satisfy WDW enthusists of the past. I think it would very interesting. That way whatever they are taking out of "the world" they will be putting it in to the vault of other lost rides. They could take some of those monorails that are in the "boneyard" and restore them and use them as an exhibit or a walk-through type of thing. So much stuff has now gone to waste. They probably could piece Mr. Toads Wild Ride back together again because there really wasn't much to that ride. I realize that this whole thing would take money, but as rich as the Disney Co. is they could afford it. I think Walt Disney himself would stand back and really feel proud that they kept his creations.

WDW and the whole Walt Disney Co. as a whole has got to change their image. I personally am sick of this "teenage bubble gum" type image (Britney Spears image if you get my drift) of Disney. I see that all the time on the Disney Channel (that Liz or Lizzie character is always on). They hardly ever put the mouse on TV anymore. And at this point I don't think they really know how to change.

EPCOT was designed wrong from the get-go in my opinion. The way Future World is designed, there is hardly no room for expansion. You have to take something out, if you want to add something.

They need to go back to the mouse, is what really needs to happen.

I went on Spaceship Earth in 1998, and I can see what everybody has been talking about. I noticed how loud the sound of the actual train sounded going up. It almost seemed like it wasn't going to make it.

So Spaceship Earth has to change in my opinion. Thrill Ride or no Thrill Ride, it doesn't matter, just be creative.

Enjoying the post.

Cliff

Originally posted by juan

It needs gutted.

YIKES!!.....Holy Shipensberg!!......What the hell is that?!?!?!

You,....U,....Y'gotta be kidding me! This is a joke and someone is playing around with Photoshop......right?

That's the single biggest and MOST blatent RIPOFF I have ever seen in my life!! ANYWHERE concerning ANYTHING!!

They should have just gone ahead and named it "SpaceCraft Earth" or something of the sort!!!

Jeez, I don't ever want to see those pix again. Not just because it cheeses me off that it bites on SE,....but because it scares me to see what TimeRacers could "possibly" look like!
:mad:

Could you imagine: A Euro Theme park rips of Disney by copying SE and putting a roller coaster inside it and giving it a diferent name.....Disney then Returnes the favor and ripps off the Euro theme park by putting a roller coaster inside the "real" SE in Orlando and giving THAT a new name!!

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by 10021982
YIKES!!.....Holy Shipensberg!!......What the hell is that?!?!?!

You,....U,....Y'gotta be kidding me! This is a joke and someone is playing around with Photoshop......right?

That's the single biggest and MOST blatent RIPOFF I have ever seen in my life!! ANYWHERE concerning ANYTHING!!

They should have just gone ahead and named it "SpaceCraft Earth" or something of the sort!!!

Jeez, I don't ever want to see those pix again. Not just because it cheeses me off that it bites on SE,....but because it scares me to see what TimeRacers could "possibly" look like!
:mad:

Could you imagine: A Euro Theme park rips of Disney by copying SE and putting a roller coaster inside it and giving it a diferent name.....Disney then Returnes the favor and ripps off the Euro theme park by putting a roller coaster inside the "real" SE in Orlando and giving THAT a new name!!
I've gone crosseyed

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Re: Thread within a Thread

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
AND THAT MEANS THOU SHALT ESPECIALLY NOT SUPPORT ADULT ENTERTAINMENT!!!

hey! adults are part of the family too....

:D :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom