News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Indy_UK

The “warehouse” issue is inherent to trackless rides and one of the primary reasons I wish they’d move away from them. That said, I prefer MMRR to RotR by quite some margin - one captures the essence of its subject matter and one doesn’t. In fact, I think MMRR is superior to most trackless rides - BatB, Rat, etc. I’m no fan of screenz, but the subject matter and integration of 3d figures and props in MMRR make me much more inclined to give it a pass. I’d PROBABLY rather have GMR, but of all the great replaced attractions - Horizons, WoM, Imagination, Energy, etc - GMR to MMRR strikes me as the least egregious (if we ignore how easy it should have been to have both). Just my opinion, of course…

MMRR better than RoTR? Are you ok? Have you hit your head?

mickEblu

And the primary marketing has been focusing on backstory, not the ride.

Applying what was said to about the backstory -- as if we were told this is what the ride is all about -- is mischaracterization.

And maybe, in some instances, a purposeful mischaracterization.

They really want to hammer home the authenticity which ties back into the inclusion thing but they really could be going about this better.

Or is this just a case of underpromise and overdeliver or maybe underpromise and (just) deliver? Haha. By the time we get something of substance or ride it we’ll be so happy to see those 25 AAs and the fact we’re hearing a couple recognizable songs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They really want to hammer home the authenticity which ties back into the inclusion thing but they really could be going about this better.

Or is this just a case of underpromise and overdeliver or maybe underpromise and (just) deliver? Haha. By the time we get something of substance or ride it we’ll be so happy to see those 25 AAs and the fact we’re hearing a couple recognizable songs.
OK, you're not gonna stop with the "25 AAs" refrain. Got it.

celluloid

The “warehouse” issue is inherent to Disney's trackless rides and one of the primary reasons I wish they’d move away from them. That said, I prefer MMRR to RotR by quite some margin - one captures the essence of its subject matter and one doesn’t. In fact, I think MMRR is superior to most trackless rides - BatB, Rat, etc. I’m no fan of screenz, but the subject matter and integration of 3d figures and props in MMRR make me much more inclined to give it a pass. I’d PROBABLY rather have GMR, but of all the great replaced attractions - Horizons, WoM, Imagination, Energy, etc - GMR to MMRR strikes me as the least egregious (if we ignore how easy it should have been to have both). Just my opinion, of course…
Fixed it for you. Rise of the resistance at least has some intimate scene moments though.

TrainsOfDisney

MMRR better than RoTR? Are you ok? Have you hit your head?
I can see this, MMRR is definitely more fun, and nothing really breaks the illusion of being in the cartoon world of the new Mickey Shorts. All of the gags fit the story, and depending on which car you ride in you get to see several different Easter eggs that make re-rides fun and unique.

ROTR has several parts that seem plastic and fake. It’s like being in a video game or simulation version, not the real place. The 2 tracks are nice, but both provide almost the same experience.

As a total experience- rise is pretty cool and certainly fun. But the actual ride, to me, is a bit under-whelming. The number of AA’s and physical effects are crazy low.

The other thing that you have to factor in is budget, Rise cost WAY more than runaway and I feel they are comparable.

TheMaxRebo

The “warehouse” issue is inherent to trackless rides and one of the primary reasons I wish they’d move away from them. That said, I prefer MMRR to RotR by quite some margin - one captures the essence of its subject matter and one doesn’t. In fact, I think MMRR is superior to most trackless rides - BatB, Rat, etc. I’m no fan of screenz, but the subject matter and integration of 3d figures and props in MMRR make me much more inclined to give it a pass. I’d PROBABLY rather have GMR, but of all the great replaced attractions - Horizons, WoM, Imagination, Energy, etc - GMR to MMRR strikes me as the least egregious (if we ignore how easy it should have been to have both). Just my opinion, of course…

They seemed to largely avoid the warehouse feel with Mystic Manor though, so can be done

Just have more set pieces that the cars have to navigate I think helps it a bit so the rooms don't seem like just boxes

Some scenes in Remy do ok (the food/fridge scene) it others do feel wharehouseish

Animaniac93-98

As a total experience- rise is pretty cool and certainly fun. But the actual ride, to me, is a bit under-whelming. The number of AA’s and physical effects are crazy low.

When everything is working, as it usually is in California, RotR is the best attraction Disney has built in the USA this century IMO. The actual ride portion may not be as good as other trackless rides, but the complete experience from start to finish has not been matched by anything except Radiator Springs Racers, which is a close second.

Mystic Manor is still the best trackless ride, hands down. It uses the medium to its full advantage, does not skimp on special effects and practical sets, or rely too much on screens, and is good enough to wow people without any existing IP.

MerlinTheGoat

They seemed to largely avoid the warehouse feel with Mystic Manor though, so can be done

Just have more set pieces that the cars have to navigate I think helps it a bit so the rooms don't seem like just boxes

Some scenes in Remy do ok (the food/fridge scene) it others do feel wharehouseish
Pooh's Hunny Hunt also does a decent job of avoiding the warehouse feeling too IMO. They do a good job of placing scenery or props interspersed between the vehicles so that not everything feels shoved against the walls. And they also filled out the ceiling nicely with tree foliage in that first room (much like Splash Mountain did).

Symbolica over at Efteling is another trackless one that deserves mention but few people are aware of.

Though I do think the trackless ride system is starting to become overused. Especially when given to creative teams who seemingly don't have a good grasp of space management.

TheMaxRebo

Pooh's Hunny Hunt also does a decent job of avoiding the warehouse feeling too IMO. They do a good job of placing scenery or props interspersed between the vehicles so that not everything feels shoved against the walls. And they also filled out the ceiling nicely with tree foliage in that first room (much like Splash Mountain did).

Symbolica over at Efteling is another trackless one that deserves mention but few people are aware of.

Though I do think the trackless ride system is starting to become overused. Especially when given to creative teams who seemingly don't have a good grasp of space management.

WDW also got several withing a short period of time and 2 of them at the same park. If MMRR, Rise, and Remy were out more across like 10 years vs 18 months or whatever it was might not feel as overdone - but agree, seemed the default / easy go to

TheMaxRebo

RotR i think is a better attraction but the trackless act is probably the least compelling part. RotR lives and dies on what happens with the capture sequence and the drop pod sequence imo.

There are some cool parts um during the ride vehicle part - though a lot of them are effects not really driven by the ride vehicle (the lightsaber in the elevator, the laser blasts leaving scorch marks .... Though being trackless allows for much of the two level part of the AT-AT scene

mickEblu

RotR i think is a better attraction but the trackless act is probably the least compelling part. RotR lives and dies on what happens with the capture sequence and the drop pod sequence imo.

I don’t think it “lives and dies” but the drop sequence is my favorite part. The capture sequence (and other pre-ride stuff) while cool can get old for repeat riders.

TheMaxRebo

Mural which will be seen in the left of the bottom of the second lift hill as we enter the mill house.

(From BlogMickey)
Screenshot_20240107-131453.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom