News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

mickEblu

Mural which will be seen in the left of the bottom of the second lift hill as we enter the mill house.

(From BlogMickey)View attachment 762016

Oh my.

Don’t you get it guys. Tiana is a cook so she decorates everything with paintings of food including the old rustic mill on the lift hill. We still sure this is all backstory stuff? Yikes.

celluloid

Pooh's Hunny Hunt also does a decent job of avoiding the warehouse feeling too IMO. They do a good job of placing scenery or props interspersed between the vehicles so that not everything feels shoved against the walls. And they also filled out the ceiling nicely with tree foliage in that first room (much like Splash Mountain did).

Symbolica over at Efteling is another trackless one that deserves mention but few people are aware of.

Though I do think the trackless ride system is starting to become overused. Especially when given to creative teams who seemingly don't have a good grasp of space management.

Mystic Manor and the Challenge of Tut are the only ones I feel ever really did the system right.

Challenge of Tut is an interactive shooting dark ride where your points will determine and vary your ride path. Allowing for variables increases the benefit of going trackless. There is often no point of a trackless ride system other than not seeing the bus bar or other based ride track, but wheel marks.

Last edited:

SilentWindODoom

What is even going on in this thread?

Considering the other two threads I'm currently following are long arguments about electric vehicles instead of Test Track 3 and capacity/abuse of provisions for the disabled instead of Tropical Americas, this thread has been refreshingly on track.

imagine if they never told us it was a salt dome. i suspect a lot of people would think well that's kinda silly to have a hill in LA but it looks nice.

So, I'm a latecomer to this and have heard this mentioned a lot, but when I search "salt dome", I get jagged striated mountains or those buildings used to house road salt back home in New York. Anyone got any information/images of the type of thing they seem to be invoking here?

Not like these frogs would be particularly advanced anyway. They're small and can get away with fairly primitive motion. And therefore probably less expensive mechanics. But still, I wouldn't count on them moving at all. Happy if i'm wrong.

Since my first trip as a child they've had simple moving animals in remote spots on the train loop. Is there much trouble in having similar simple mechanics as this or a Jungle Cruise figure?

Saying both are equally important is a little silly. Who the accountant is doesn’t matter to the guest experience - who design and created the rides does.

I feel like accountants being equally if not more important is the sad reality that has loomed over the company for quite some time now.

Vegas Disney Fan

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but when one says that MMRR is a better attraction than ROTR all I hear is “I prefer the Mickey theme/ Disney IP.”
I find the ROTR vs MMRR debates interesting because I always say ROTR is the better ride but when we are in the parks we go on MMRR more often.

ROTR is a more impressive ride but we find MMRR more fun.

“Better” is hard to quantify.

Brer Oswald

And the primary marketing has been focusing on backstory, not the ride.

Applying what was said to about the backstory -- as if we were told this is what the ride is all about -- is mischaracterization.

And maybe, in some instances, a purposeful mischaracterization.
The primary marketing has been focusing on the backstory and that’s a mistake.

The only major benefit to retheme an already popular attraction would be a brand new marketing campaign. “It’s the exciting thrill ride , but now it’s based on a movie you know and love” would have been the logical approach to market to the general audience.

Instead they seem to be marketing to wannabe activists that double as Disney Diehards that visit the parks regularly anyways. And the rest of us are left confused by what they are doing.

Unbanshee

Although looking again I will say if you zoom out of the new mural, the trees with the Spanish moss look beautiful. Are we sure this not a temporary banner to hide something behind it?

It appears to be something that is behind construction walls and out of view? If so, it wouldn't be a temporary banner, would it?

TrainsOfDisney

I find the ROTR vs MMRR debates interesting because I always say ROTR is the better ride but when we are in the parks we go on MMRR more often.

Yes. If we are talking more fun (and also more entertaining on re-rides) MMRR is the clear winner.

But Rise as a total experience is very impressive and the elevators and drop shaft are a really cool addition. I just wish the ride itself had more physical effects like fire, real lasers through fog, cryo, etc.

mickEblu

I agree with the sentiment although I find ROTR to be more fun too. I take better to mean objectively better or of higher quality. I know we live in a world where nothing is objective anymore but POTC is objectively a better attraction than the Astro Orbitor. It just gets more difficult to get a consensus the closer things are in quality and because bias.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, I'm a latecomer to this and have heard this mentioned a lot, but when I search "salt dome", I get jagged striated mountains or those buildings used to house road salt back home in New York. Anyone got any information/images of the type of thing they seem to be invoking here?

Avery Island, as the name suggests, rises above sea level due to the salt dome. It's height is 163'.

Avery Island (historically French: Île Petite Anse) is a salt dome best known as the source of Tabasco sauce. Located in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, United States, it is approximately three miles (4.8 km) inland from Vermilion Bay, which in turn opens onto the Gulf of Mexico. A small human population lives on the island.​
Avery Island is surrounded on all sides by bayous (slow-moving, muddy rivers), salt marsh, and swampland; it sits about 130 miles (210 km) west of New Orleans.[6] The island was a sugar plantation formerly known as Petite Anse Island.[2] (Petite Anse means "Little Cove" in Cajun French.) Access to the island is via a toll road (technically a very low toll bridge), though a toll is no longer charged for visitors, including tourists.​
At its highest point, the island is 163 feet (50 m) above mean sea level.[6] It covers about 2,200 acres (8.9 km2) and is about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) across at its widest point.

Also, there's Lake Peignar which is next to Jefferson Island salt dome. It is the site of the famous salt mine sink hole disaster.

Anyhoos, Jefferson "Island" salt dome is 50 feet above the surrounding land. And now, much higher than the dry lake bed caused by the sink hole.

View attachment 729857

Now, I couldn't find any resources to justify the historicity of turning people in to frogs or talking crocagators who can play horn. I'm sure all those looking for real-world evidence of what they see on a Disney ride are just as concerned about that.

SilentWindODoom

Wild! Thanks so much! Seems legit.

(Quoting you is not working because the post is all quotes and you can't quote quotes.)

How much of that is a function of the wait time difference, the length of the experience, and the location of the park? Rise seems like a lot more of an investment whereas Runaway Railway can be passed several times during the course of a day.

The primary marketing has been focusing on the backstory and that’s a mistake.

The only major benefit to retheme an already popular attraction would be a brand new marketing campaign. “It’s the exciting thrill ride , but now it’s based on a movie you know and love” would have been the logical approach to market to the general audience.

Instead they seem to be marketing to wannabe activists that double as Disney Diehards that visit the parks regularly anyways. And the rest of us are left confused by what they are doing.

It seems like the squeakiest wheel is getting the grease. This appeals to the ones who considered the old ride a black eye for the company.

Vegas Disney Fan

How much of that is a function of the wait time difference, the length of the experience, and the location of the park? Rise seems like a lot more of an investment whereas Runaway Railway can be passed several times during the course of a day.
I think all those things are definitely factors, we are DL regulars so both rides are inconvenient to get to but we typically spend more time in (or near) toontown than Galaxy’s edge, that does give MMRR an edge on convenience, MMRR is typically also a 45- minute wait vs 60+ for ROTR which is also an edge, convenience and wait definitely impacts our likelihood of riding.

Vegas Disney Fan

Back to the subject of Tiana… the new mural lowers my expectations rather than raising them. The only thing we’ve seen so far that seems to be an improvement over Splash is the stonework in the queue.

The lack of updates from Disney means the only marketing for this ride is the coop story, the missing ingredient story, and what’s visible to guests, and so far it’s all been underwhelming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom