News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Vegas Disney Fan

I think you have it backwards - producers and project leads are typically creatives. Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde, Scott Trowbridge, Kevin Rafferrty, etc.

Edit to add - I don’t think of Carter as an accountant though. Yes that was her background, but she has worked in blue sky studio and as a creative on attractions for several years now.
They weren’t producers though, Rohde was the executive designer, Baxter was the VP
of creative development… they were in charge of the projects from an artistic standpoint but the accountants dealt with the bureacracy behind the scenes.

Both are equally important, the artistic management team is very different from the project management team though.

MerlinTheGoat

I feel like we have to get real clear about the facts here - Charita Carter was an accountant for Imagineering . . . in 1997. Since 2007 she has been working in the creative branches of WDI, moving from being a Show Producer to a Senior Creative Producer to Executive Creative Producer to now Executive Creative Producer-VP. Carmen Smith started with Disney at ABC in 2000 and has spent 14 years in her current role as Senior Vice President Creative Development Content-Products & Inclusive Strategies. These people have been around for years creating work you've enjoyed, but only now that their names are visibly and publicly attached to a project that people dislike for . . . reasons . . . they're abruptly being treated as if they couldn't possibly have earned their positions.

To incorrectly call these people figureheads, assume they have no talent, clearly attempt to dismiss them as "an accountant & a diversity editor", neither of which are wholly accurate descriptors, and disregard their many years of productive creative work in which they both worked their way up the ladder within this company is pointedly ugly given the context.

You don't have to like this these people, the ride, or even their work on it, but this kind of misguided devaluing of these women, their positions, and their achievements speaks to exactly the kind of gross and charged negative behavior people are hurling at this project. I would encourage you to speak more mindfully on this subject in the future.
They were not creatives and still aren't to this day. That isn't an opinion I came to myself, nor something I took from a bunch of lunatic agenda driven anti woke morons who don't actually know anything. It's an opinion shared by actual talented creatives in the industry who know what they're talking about. It's also what I was explicitly told by the same source who initially provided a ton of accurate details on the ride. They also had a very positive opinion on TBA and are excited about it last I checked in. But they made it very clear that if it's any good, it will be in spite of Charita Carter and Carmen Smith, not because of them.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

They were not creatives and still aren't to this day. That isn't an opinion I came to myself, nor something I took from a bunch of lunatic agenda driven anti woke morons who don't actually know anything. It's an opinion shared by actual talented creatives in the industry who know what they're talking about. It's also what I was explicitly told by the same source who initially provided a ton of accurate details on the ride. They also had a very positive opinion on TBA and are excited about it last I checked in. But they made it very clear that if it's any good, it will be in spite of Charita Carter and Carmen Smith, not because of them.
Are they Baxter/Rodhe creatives, or are they Iger creatives?

MerlinTheGoat

Whence the April-May rumor?
It was Splash Archive in a post from a few pages back who claimed the ride is scheduled to open April-May. Assuming no alleged "revisions" delay it that is. Which I also take to mean that Archive believes Iger did indeed visit and demanded changes, something I'm still skeptical about.

I have said before that WDI wanted it open "5-6 months earlier" than they originally planned. That original plan being the admittedly vague "late 2024". I assumed that was supposed to mean November-December. Which would maybe put the most aggressive revised target around July maybe. This again assumes a lot. They're going pretty fast, so I guess it's possible. But it would surprise me if it's open by April-May. I'd not have betted on anything sooner than July-August at the earliest...

_caleb

I imagine Carter, Smith, Favorite, and Mahdi are used to being dismissed as “not real creatives.”

TrainsOfDisney

They weren’t producers though, Rohde was the executive designer, Baxter was the VP
of creative development… they were in charge of the projects from an artistic standpoint but the accountants dealt with the bureacracy behind the scenes.

Both are equally important, the artistic management team is very different from the project management team though.
I think it’s a bit tricky cause Disney doesn’t provide a list of titles and credits for attractions so it’s a bit difficult. My definition of producer is probably different than yours, not sure about Disneys definitions.

Saying both are equally important is a little silly. Who the accountant is doesn’t matter to the guest experience - who design and created the rides does.

JoeCamel

I think I might just wait a bit before booking for the month of august, vine though most of you are now convinced the ride will be open by now! But if it opens in April or may, Disney will announce an opening date very soon allowing me to travel there in June.
Disney could open the ride for 4 months in softs then have the "grand opening" which would be what the opening announcement would reference. They wouldn't announce a soft opening.

LittleBuford

For what it’s worth, here is what Kevin Rafferty has to say about Carter:

I also have to say Charita Carter … the great Charita Carter, who was the producer of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. I didn’t really work with her on an attraction or related things over the years, until our experience on Mickey & Minnie’s.​
She’s a great producer and a great friend and a great colleague who has great instincts and was another big influence on my career.​

MerlinTheGoat

Are they Baxter/Rodhe creatives, or are they Iger creatives?
Baxter and Rohde are actual creatives, exceptional ones as well. Carter and Smith are not creatives at all. And no, they didn't "learn from experience" later on either. Neither were placed at WDI because of relevant talents.

So basically, "Iger creatives" is probably the answer you're looking for.

I imagine Carter, Smith, Favorite, and Mahdi are used to being dismissed as “not real creatives.”
I only said Carter and Smith aren't real creatives. Because they factually are not. Favorite and Mahdi however are real creatives. I literally complimented their work in a prior post that you quoted but chose to ignore that part of. In fact, I quite like Mahdi's non-Disney work in particular. Here's just one example that I think looks particularly great-

healing-breeze-sharika-mahdi.jpg

Lots more here that I think are really cool-

And as I said, I also think this TBA-commissioned one looks nice-
1704586226583.jpeg

mickEblu

I also have to say Charita Carter … the great Charita Carter, who was the producer of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. I didn’t really work with her on an attraction or related things over the years, until our experience on Mickey & Minnie’s.​
She’s a great producer and a great friend and a great colleague who has great instincts and was another big influence on my career.​

Doesn’t really speak to her being (a) creative. Also MMRR is very meh.

mickEblu

I’m a huge fan of Kevin so maybe I’m biased but I think MMRR is a fantastic attraction. Way more impressive and fun than cosmic rewind for me.

It’s just too flat and warehouse-y. I never really feel immersed. I never really feel Iike I’m in a cartoon. I think the Fantasyland dark rides do a better job at that. It’s fine/ cute and the kids enjoy it.

MerlinTheGoat

Tony Baxter also praised TBA and the people involved when it was announced, only to later go on a podcast and take a massive dump on them.

I personally find MMRR to be a pretty mediocre ride. Outright offensively bad as a replacement for GMR, but not even particularly good on its own merits (at least California was a new build though and in a far better location).

But I will also say that Rafferty himself deserves a LOT of the blame for that one, much moreso than Carter IMO. A lot of his other attractions have also been very screen-heavy in general, so it's not surprising how it turned out. He's done a few things I really like, but a LOT more that I haven't.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom