News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Brer Oswald

Does anyone know the extent of work done to the infrastructure that supported the old America Sings AAs? Did they rip out the controls and hydraulic and pneumatic systems? I'm assuming TBA's AAs will all be electric, so that would mean any re-used figures would need to be converted and upgraded, right?
Practically nothing is getting reused so that won’t be much of an issue.
It only it weren't for all those other sources that said otherwise...
What sources? The ones that said the boat was being reused?

Brer Oswald

Many sources have refuted otherwise.
They were likely going off of outdated plans and information. Most of what has come out since suggests that everything being used for this attraction was fabricated specifically for it. I’d love to be proven wrong but it’s not looking likely. 10 at most for Disneyland, and only the possums (and a frog or two) at WDW if anything.

MagicHappens1971

They were likely going off of outdated plans and information. Most of what has come out since suggests that everything being used for this attraction was fabricated specifically for it. I’d love to be proven wrong but it’s not looking likely. 10 at most for Disneyland, and only the possums (and a frog or two) at WDW if anything.
That’s fair, and I don’t personally know anything so I can’t speak to it…. Although it would be odd to not try to repurpose some of the more static figures.

Brer Oswald

That’s fair, and I don’t personally know anything so I can’t speak to it…. Although it would be odd to not try to repurpose some of the more static figures.
It’s odd that they aren’t reusing a good chunk of the figures in Disneyland given the fact that most of them still worked well. Would’ve been an easier way to pad out the roster than having a bunch of new static figures, and it would make fans of the old attraction happy.

MerlinTheGoat

It only it weren't for all those other sources that said otherwise...
I'm the only one who said that, and it's an older claim that may or may not be true. They've gotten quite a lot of other stuff about the ride right, but not 100%. Specifically Tony Baxter's involvement turned out to be incorrect.

Two other people here (cupofchai and Splash Archive) have said they're scrapping the vast majority of the old figures. And both of them ended up being correct about scrapping the riverboat and implementing a new show scene with the facade of Tiana's Palace. Archive had official renders to back that claim up. Archive says only about 7-8 of the old America Sings AA's are being reused. And that the finale would be a lot emptier than Splash. I believe this information on the reused figures is also specific to DL, so i'm not sure all of it applies to WDW.

The only group of reused figures that are likely fairly certainly confirmed at this point are the tiny hanging possums. Since they appeared in one of the pieces of concept art of the ride. Not technically animatronics though, they're more animated props.

What sources? The ones that said the boat was being reused?
That was also me, though I did state that my riverboat comment wasn't based on information from a source. I just assumed that they would reuse the boat because it didn't make any sense to me to get rid of it in the context of the IP being used (which would have justified the inclusion of a riverboat far better even than Splash did). But it only my own assumption, nothing I was told. I did make that clear when I posted it.

The America Sings figures on the other hand I WAS told would be reused back in 2022. So if i'm wrong about that, it's because of a misinformed source. Like I said, Splash Archive claimed that maybe 7-8 would be reused at DL. But I was under the impression it would be a much larger number. And again, also not sure if Archive's number applies to WDW.

Many sources have refuted otherwise.
To be fair, I think i'm the only person who has claimed that such a large quantity would be reused. If there's another source who also did so, i'd like to hear it.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
The only group of reused figures that are likely fairly certainly confirmed at this point are the tiny hanging possums. Since they appeared in one of the pieces of concept art of the ride. Not technically animatronics though, they're more animated props.
It's also heavily speculated the giggling Br'er Rabbit will be reused as the rabbit playing the washboard, as well as the bullfrogs from Splash. Of course these would most likely be the mechanics/internals reused, as the PATF Frogs in the concept art are much different than the Marc Davis/Baxter frogs, and obviously they wouldn't plop Br'er Rabbit laughin in the middle of Bayou.
no-tiana1.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

It's also heavily implied the giggling Br'er Rabbit will be reused as the rabbit playing the washboard, as well as the bullfrogs from Splash. Of course these would most likely be the mechanics/internals reused, as the PATF Frogs in the concept art are much different than the Marc Davis/Baxter frogs.
View attachment 762821

Kind of a side note but I’d imagine they’re going to have to have all the critter AA’s staged up very close in the foreground like the above concept art as (aside from Louis) they are not going to be larger anthropomorphic animals but will be closer to real world scale and as they are shown in the movie. I wonder if that will create a loss of depth if all the animals are right on the flumes edge.

That was another advantage of Splash being human free. You could kind of Runaway with the fantasy aspect.

yensidtlaw1969

It's also heavily implied the giggling Br'er Rabbit will be reused as the rabbit playing the washboard, as well as the bullfrogs from Splash. Of course these would most likely be the mechanics/internals reused, as the PATF Frogs in the concept art are much different than the Marc Davis/Baxter frogs, and obviously they wouldn't plop Br'er Rabbit laughin in the middle of Bayou.
View attachment 762821
I'm not sure there's anything that "heavily implies" that.

MerlinTheGoat

Kind of a side note but I’d imagine they’re going to have to have all the critter AA’s staged up very close in the foreground like the above concept art as (aside from Louis) they are not going to be larger anthropomorphic animals but will be closer to real world scale and as they are shown in the movie. I wonder if that will create a loss of depth if all the animals are right on the flumes edge.

That was another advantage of Splash being human free. You could kind of Runaway with the fantasy aspect.
I think there will probably be a mixture of small and large critter AA's. This isn't information given to me, but it's consistent with artwork they've shown of the ride. One of of which includes a number of shadowy silhouettes of larger animals in the background. Particularly what appears to be bears and big cats (bobcats do live in Louisiana). And possibly dogs or wolves. These were also present in the "inspirational artwork" created by Sharika Mahdi.

1705199726578.png

1705199747120.png

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not sure there's anything that "heavily implies" that.
I think the word I was looking for was 'speculated', not implied. My bad.
The source of this claim was again Splash Archive. He said there was an unconfirmed possibility that the upper half portion of the giggling Brer Rabbit figure might be salvaged and reused for the rabbit in the art.

The post also claims that the reused figures will include a few frogs, the storks (which I assume may only apply to Disneyland as WDW never got copies of the AS storks) and the tiny hanging possums (which was already confirmed in a prior piece of art).

mickEblu

I think there will probably be a mixture of small and large critter AA's. This isn't information given to me, but it's consistent with artwork they've shown of the ride. One of of which includes a number of shadowy silhouettes of larger animals in the background. Particularly what appears to be bears and big cats (bobcats do live in Louisiana). And possibly dogs or wolves. These were also present in the "inspirational artwork" created by Sharika Mahdi.

View attachment 762823
View attachment 762824

Yeah I remember being pleased to see this concept art when it was released but I have since come to the conclusion that the artist was taking artistic liberty or that they have gone in another direction. Unless maybe part of the story is that Mama Odie does a little magic and transforms the animals for the big Mardi Gras finale/ party in the city but I doubt it. The scene with 6 animals playing instruments is an actual scene where the anthropomorphic animals are just concept art and it really wouldn’t make much sense to have them both on the same ride.

At this point I don’t care if they re anthropomorphic or not. It’s the least of my worries.

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah I remember being pleased to see this concept art when it was released but I have since come to the conclusion that the artist was taking artistic liberty or that they have gone in another direction. Unless maybe part of the story is that Mama Odie does a little magic and transforms the animals for the big Mardi Gras finale but I doubt it. The scene with 6 animals playing instruments is an actual scene where the anthropomorphic animals are just concept art and it really wouldn’t make much sense to have them both on the same ride.
The art from Sharika Mahdi I also might have just disregarded on its own if it was all we had. But Disney specifically said they were using her art as an inspiration. And that seems to have been the case based on the ride art. The only critters we've seen front and center with clear detail are those small ones. But they're still standing upright similar to the smaller critters in Splash. And again, that other official piece of art of the ride shows larger critters that are visible enough to tell that they're in an upright position.

I don't think they went in another direction btw. Not only was this ride art shown off fairly recently before the newer critter band one, but the otter character in particular appeared in both pieces.

The Tiana's Palace facade for the finale is another thing Mahdi's art predicted. Though the design differs somewhat from the renders Splash Archive got ahold of. I can't link it since it was shared without permission and he asked people not to repost. But what they're building is more of a traditional French Quarter looking building with a second level, some nice looking curved staircases on the sides and rails along the landings (and another structure on the left side where the swamp boys were located that appears to be a gazebo or something).

I think they're probably going with the idea of there being other animals out there who want to follow in Louis' footsteps. Louis being the only true animal we see in the movie who taught himself to walk upright and play an instrument, wishing to be human. Assuming that's what is happening, that can justify any potentially anthropomorphic designs. Or perhaps it is indeed Mama Odie working a little magic into things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom