News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Brer Oswald

I suppose it is fair to say the juxtaposition between a fantastic Tiana AA and a basic frog figure that spins may be striking. But I hope it works.

Does Hatbox Ghost ruin the raven or the skeleton in the coffin on Mansion for you? I know it does for some. For Splash, the coolest figure wa jumping Brer Rabbit but he didn’t cause much trouble for the other figures because he was almost always broken.
For me it’s about the “illusion of life” and how consistent it is amongst the figures. The jumping Brer Rabbit may have had the most dynamic “loop” of motion, but when everything was working, he really wasn’t any more animated than the geese, chickens, Turkey, or foxes in terms of mouth, eye, and arm movement. The “animated figures” (when working) were cleverly used in a way that they tricked the audience into thinking they were no different than the rest. Brer Gator was “sleeping”, why would he be moving? The possums were small and at a distance. Brer Bear was wiggling his arms, head, and body. The turtles moved their mouths and had the kinetics of the fountains. The Bear butts wiggled too.

Compare this to the mermaid figures and it’s quite apparent to see which ones are more living (Ariel, Ursula, Scuttle, etc.) and which look like animated corpses (turtles, fish, starfish). The same “tricks” splash used weren’t applied here, and thus there is a clear lack of consistency.

We won’t know until the “new” ride opens, but I think the fear is warranted given what we have seen from more recent projects.

James Alucobond

Compare this to the mermaid figures and it’s quite apparent to see which ones are more living (Ariel, Ursula, Scuttle, etc.) and which look like animated corpses (turtles, fish, starfish). The same “tricks” splash used weren’t applied here, and thus there is a clear lack of consistency.
I actually think this is a reasonable way to split things up. Human figures being generally more fluid and lifelike makes sense since we’re more familiar with human movement and are therefore more likely to perceive unrealistic movement from human characters. Our understanding of how marine life is supposed to move (and animated marine life, at that) is less extensive, so you can get away with animated figures. The problem is more that the animated figures in Under the Sea have really limited movement in general, and what movement they do have is frequently void of joints and so regular as to never be mistaken for being organic in the slightest. In short, it’s a solid idea for split of figure type; the figures in the attraction (even the more advanced ones) just all fall short aside from Ursula and Scuttle.

mickEblu

For me it’s about the “illusion of life” and how consistent it is amongst the figures. The jumping Brer Rabbit may have had the most dynamic “loop” of motion, but when everything was working, he really wasn’t any more animated than the geese, chickens, Turkey, or foxes in terms of mouth, eye, and arm movement. The “animated figures” (when working) were cleverly used in a way that they tricked the audience into thinking they were no different than the rest. Brer Gator was “sleeping”, why would he be moving? The possums were small and at a distance. Brer Bear was wiggling his arms, head, and body. The turtles moved their mouths and had the kinetics of the fountains. The Bear butts wiggled too.

We won’t know until the “new” ride opens, but I think the fear is warranted given what we have seen from more recent projects.

Exactly, I haven’t really been following this AA convo but I did get corrected last week when I mentioned Disneylands Splash having over 100 AAs. Whatever you want to call them, moving figures bring a lot of life/depth to an attraction. While some of them may not have been AA’s by definition that’s how they were perceived because of quality of those “tricks” like proper staging and because people don’t know the difference. The rides felt full and full of life and that’s the point. Also, those “tricks” are what separate some of the old and new imagineers. Hopefully TBA has at least 60-70 animated figures/ AAs but not holding my breath.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So have they removed any ‘peril’ from the drop, so we think? Is the drop now more celebratory?
I get the sense it's going to be sorta like Mission Breakout vs Tower of Terror. Instead of using scares to add to the thrill, they're using the thrill to add to the fun

An approach I was pretty skeptical about until I actually rode Mission Breakout, but now I'm a fan. I wish we got more of a balance between "scary thrill rides" and "fun thrill rides" but I feel like the fun angle will work better here

AJT607

I agree that a "fun thrill" can definitely work here and the suggestions in the previous few posts could make it all work out great at the end of the day, but I can't help the feeling that a surprise return of Facilier in the old 'Laughing Place' space before the drop with the "are you ready" song as you are going up the final hill would be a perfect fit.

Dear Prudence

I honestly think the secret ingredient is going to be music. Since they keep hyping up the musical aspect of the attraction and one of the plot points listed is that Tiana needs to find a band. If I had to guess, the finale will be "We found the band! Yay!! We love music thanks for helping us find it!" But, I could be wrong.
View attachment 762624
Honestly, that's would be so cringe and corny of them....

.....but 10000% what would happen

_caleb

Does anyone know the extent of work done to the infrastructure that supported the old America Sings AAs? Did they rip out the controls and hydraulic and pneumatic systems? I'm assuming TBA's AAs will all be electric, so that would mean any re-used figures would need to be converted and upgraded, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom