News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Brer Panther

Same goes for a number of the minor animals in Splash Mountain (though a lot of these did once have speech in America Sings).
Now I'm wondering which characters, specifically, in Disneyland's version of Splash Mountain didn't have dialogue but did have dialogue in America Sings, and vise-versa... let me see if I can figure it out...
  1. Geese - Dialogue in both
  2. Hound Dog in the Laughin' Place - I think he had one line in America Sings, not sure if he was among the critters singing in the Laughin' Place or if he didn't say anything
  3. Swamp Boys - Dialogue in both
  4. Bullfrogs - Dialogue in both (in fact, they said the same thing in both: "Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum...")
  5. Harmonica-Playing Raccoon - No dialogue in either
  6. Mother Possum - Dialogue in both
  7. Baby Possums - No dialogue in either
  8. Hanging Possums - No dialogue in either (they did hum in Splash Mountain, though)
  9. Convict Fox - Dialogue in both (singing "Everybody's Got a Laughin' Place" in Splash Mountain)
  10. Hens and Foxes on the Riverboat - Dialogue in both (sang "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" in Splash Mountain)
  11. Donkey 1 (the one in the finale) - No dialogue in either
  12. Handcar Rabbit (redressed as Brer Rabbit in Splash Mountain) - No dialogue in either
  13. Saddlesore Swanson - Dialogue in both (singing "Everybody's Got a Laughin' Place" in Splash Mountain)
  14. Donkey 2 (the one across from Brer Fox and Brer Bear during the "How Do You Do" sequence) - No dialogue in either
  15. Vultures - Dialogue in both
  16. Tex Ranger (dog who sang "Home on the Range" and is now on the riverboat) - Dialogue in both (sang "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" in Splash Mountain)
  17. Brer Turtle - No dialogue in America Sings, had dialogue in Splash Mountain
  18. Roadrunner - No dialogue in either (he was originally going to sing Disney World's Brer Porcupine's "Time to Be Turnin' Around" verse of "How Do You Do", but they scrapped that), but did have dialogue in the Disney World version of Splash Mountain
  19. Owl - No dialogue in America Sings, just hooted in Splash Mountain
  20. Mother Rabbit - Dialogue in both
  21. Baby Rabbits - No dialogue in either
  22. Showgirl Pig - Dialogue in both (sang "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" in Splash Mountain)
  23. Bird in a Gilded Cage - Dialogue in both (sang "Everybody's Got a Laughin' Place" in Splash Mountain)
  24. Laughin' Place Storks - Don't recall if they had dialogue in America Sings (if they did, it was singing "Ta-Ra-Ra-Boom-De-Ay" with a bunch of other characters), but they sang "Everybody's Got a Laughin' Place" in Splash Mountain
  25. Showgirl Birds - Dialogue in both (sang "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" in Splash Mountain)
  26. College Quartet (Fox, Wolf, and Cats in the wagon in the finale) - Dialogue in both (sang "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" in Splash Mountain)
  27. Piano Pig - Had dialogue in America Sings, I think was among the critters singing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" in Splash Mountain but he might've just played the organ
  28. Drummer Porcupine - No dialogue in either version, but did have dialogue in the Disney World Splash Mountain
  29. Laughin' Place Chicken - Dialogue in both (sang "Everybody's Got a Laughin' Place")
  30. Hitchhiking Alligator - Dialogue in both
  31. Weasels - Dialogue in America Sings, I don't think had any dialogue in Splash Mountain, but they do make noises in the Disney World version

Brer Oswald

I should have said animated figure. Lower range of motion than an AA. Splash had tons of animated figures.
It did? Besides Brer Gator and the weasels, I can’t think of that many. Maybe the Bullfrogs and turtles? I’d probably still consider them small and simpler AAs (above what we’d see in Fantasyland).

Disneyland Splash had a lot more. Brer Frog was limited motion, as was the bobbing Brer Bear.

Brer Oswald

Put simply, Animatronics are more complex and programmable, where Animated Figures are simpler and mechanically driven.

Compare a figure like The Auctioneer in Pirates, whose motions are dictated by digital inputs that could be altered to design a different performance for the figure (they used to be controlled by Audio input, hence the name Audio Animatronics), versus something like a Jungle Cruise Elephant, whose individual movements are more cyclical and tend to loop based off the motors and mechanics to create movements that are intentional but not necessarily timed to run together in exact sequence.

Basically, if the performance is the result of carefully crafted programming then it's an Animatronic, but if the performance is the result of carefully crafted mechanics then it's an Animated Figure. It's not always easy to tell the difference just by looking, since Attractions will sometimes use both within the same scene (Little Mermaid uses Sebastian and Ariel Animatronics in the Under the Sea scene, but all the other characters in that room are Animated Figures that mostly have simple rocking motions to them).

Now, Animated Figures can have some pretty complex motions, so it's not automatic that they're worse than an Animatronic, they just tend to move in ways that are more general rather than specifically timed. One of the biggest tells is that if a character is accurately lipsynching it pretty much automatically has to be an Animatronic, since Animated Figures can't do that given how they're built.
I like this definition. In this case, the bullfrogs would be animatronic as they were programmed to sync up to their parts in the music.

Brer Panther

It did? Besides Brer Gator and the weasels, I can’t think of that many. Maybe the Bullfrogs and turtles? I’d probably still consider them small and simpler AAs (above what we’d see in Fantasyland).

Disneyland Splash had a lot more. Brer Frog was limited motion, as was the bobbing Brer Bear.
The bees, I suppose. Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe the possums too?

Brer Oswald

The stormtroopers in Rise are also animated figures (though a lot don't even move at all AFAIK). Since they only have one or two axes of motion in the neck or arms.

Disney in recent years has taken to conflating animated figures with animatronics so they can lie in marketing. Hence why Star Wars was stated to have so many in marketing, while in actuality it only had like 5. The official ride page for Splash Mountain claimed it had over 100 animatronics. When in reality around 30-40 of those were animated props with pretty minimal movement. They were literally even counting the spinning beehives in that number (mentioning the ride has "animatronic bees" on the ride's page). Though to be fair, it still has a ton of legitimate animatronic figures compared to Star Wars and such.
I decided to do a watch of both PoVs to get my own animatronic count. I was rather conservative with what I considered an animatronic (anything I wasn’t sure I didn’t count). I counted around 54 in WDW and 72 in DL. The first scene in Disneyland is particularly notable as it throws you in with 15 animatronics right off the bat (12 geese and 3 frogs). Tiana has her work cut out for her no doubt.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member

F155oRFaAAANF0v.jpg

I would also add this Br'er Bear to that list since he's just wobbling on a base with his mouth in one fixed position just going "Ooh oww! Oooo!!" Technically any figure with a fixed mouth I'd count as limited motion.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

You know, most companies would reconsider the project altogether with this reaction from their fans.
They would never admit the ride themed to their most controversial property was enjoyed by people, even by those who knew what the source material was.

I agree.100% the missing ingredient will be “you”. Then they will say “thanks for coming, y’all”

But if the bulk of the ride is them hurrying around looking for something lost, I kind of like the message: slow down, look around, you already have what you need.
Soul.

Brer Oswald

View attachment 762729
I would also add this Br'er Bear to that list since he's just wobbling on a base with his mouth in one fixed position just going "Ooh oww! Oooo!!" Technically any figure with a fixed mouth I'd count as limited motion.
Some may say it is, but given the movement it was capable of, and the complexities that went it to creating it and the rig, I’d give it special consideration.

MerlinTheGoat

Some may say it is, but given the movement it was capable of, and the complexities that went it to creating it and the rig, I’d give it special consideration.

The version at WDW has an extra motor in the neck (absent on the DL figure) to allow the head to also move, but they're both fairly simple figures. If the arms were actually robotic, then that would definitely up their complexity, but I strongly suspect they aren't. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the arms are actually using some kind of spring mechanism. And that they are reliant on the main body flailing around hard enough to cause them to move.

This has been an issue in recent years at WDW since the base figure itself has had very limited motion (or even static) that isn't producing enough force to get the arms moving. Even after the otherwise mostly excellent 2013 refurb, the figure never moved quite as violently as it did in the 90s. I suspect they may have intentionally kept it toned down to reduce maintenance costs. So the arm movement also isn't as strong as it once was either. In DL's case, it's even worse because the arms have seemingly been stuck in place for a very long time. Even during the points when the figure itself still wobbled with significant force (though again the entire thing has been static a lot in recent years). I don't even know if they've worked at any point in the 2000s...

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong about the arms being spring powered. But looking closely at them, I do think that's how it works.

SJN1279

It would make sense to have this open for the summer. Lines for Splash Mountain were always longest in those months, and they want to brand this ride a huge success.

Let’s hope they aren’t cutting corners.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
The version at WDW has an extra motor in the neck (absent on the DL figure) to allow the head to also move, but they're both fairly simple figures. If the arms were actually robotic, then that would definitely up their complexity, but I strongly suspect they aren't. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the arms are actually using some kind of spring mechanism. And that they are reliant on the main body flailing around hard enough to cause them to move.

This has been an issue in recent years at WDW since the base figure itself has had very limited motion (or even static) that isn't producing enough force to get the arms moving. Even after the otherwise mostly excellent 2013 refurb, the figure never moved quite as violently as it did in the 90s. I suspect they may have intentionally kept it toned down to reduce maintenance costs. So the arm movement also isn't as strong as it once was either. In DL's case, it's even worse because the arms have seemingly been stuck in place for a very long time. Even during the points when the figure itself still wobbled with significant force (though again the entire thing has been static a lot in recent years). I don't even know if they've worked at any point in the 2000s...

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong about the arms being spring powered. But looking closely at them, I do think that's how it works.
Looking at early WDW footage it seems his arms had at least some level of animation apart from being shook around by his body.

yensidtlaw1969

Based on that video I'd agree, that Brer Bear looks to be an Animated Figure (a mechanically motivated character, but not giving a specifically programmed performance).

The phenomenon at play here is called Sympathetic Motion - his arms are indeed mounted on springs and animated purely by the ambient movement of the figure. You shake the mass of the figure and the arms also shake, but in a different pattern to the motion of his body, creating the impression of a complex figure where actually he's more like a Bobble Head being perpetually bobbled.

Looking at footage, it appears the WDW Figure was also probably an Animated Figure rather than an Animatronic, though he did indeed have extra Head movement capabilities:

The fact that this Brer Bear was always an Animated Figure but passed for an Animatronic should hopefully inspire some confidence that the use of Animated Figures amongst more complex figures in Tiana's Bayou Adventure could potentially be impressive and delightful.

Brer Oswald

The fact that this Brer Bear was always an Animated Figure but passed for an Animatronic should hopefully inspire some confidence that the use of Animated Figures amongst more complex figures in Tiana's Bayou Adventure could potentially be impressive and delightful.
It could be. Or we could get a case like Little Mermaid where it’s incredibly easy to tell which is which. I just worry they spent too much of the budget on a limited number of Uber complex A1000s and the animated figures were a decision made to cut costs and pad the roster. I think a decent quantity of A100s would’ve been just fine.

ToTBellHop

It could be. Or we could get a case like Little Mermaid where it’s incredibly easy to tell which is which. I just worry they spent too much of the budget on a limited number of Uber complex A1000s and the animated figures were a decision made to cut costs and pad the roster. I think a decent quantity of A100s would’ve been just fine.
I suppose it is fair to say the juxtaposition between a fantastic Tiana AA and a basic frog figure that spins may be striking. But I hope it works.

Does Hatbox Ghost ruin the raven or the skeleton in the coffin on Mansion for you? I know it does for some. For Splash, the coolest figure wa jumping Brer Rabbit but he didn’t cause much trouble for the other figures because he was almost always broken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom