Thomas Kinkade releasing new painting of Cinderella's Castle

bigtotoro

I would go so far as to say that many artists intentionally avoid things that would appeal to most people. Talent is a part of art for me. Not just the ability to shock people.

But back to the subject on hand!

I realize Kincade is not loved by everyone, and he's not my favorite artist. But I LOVE Disney paintings. I want one.
There's probably a grain of truth in that. Artists create art for other artists. Kinda like how women dress for other women, I guess. I don't think it necessarily has to do with the shock factor, either. Although, there is some of that. My pet theory is that the divide has grown since the rise of conceptual art. And that has to do with the rise of photography on a large scale. There is just not as much need to render, anymore. I don't know...and my wife doesn't completely agree with me...who would really qualify as a conceptual artist that has any kind of moderately mass appeal? Christo, maybe?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
One thing I have noticed in my short life is that as a general rule artists always seem to dislike any other artist that has any mass appeal or success.

MKCP 1985

I am so stupid sometimes. I guess I didn't look at right. I would like to see it with out him in it. Do you know where to see the picture alone?

Don't feel bad. The official debut of the painting is tomorrow, so there have not been any unobstructed photos of the painting released yet. There should be photos available after tomorrow. :wave:

Disneyfalcon

Don't feel bad. The official debut of the painting is tomorrow, so there have not been any unobstructed photos of the painting released yet. There should be photos available after tomorrow. :wave:

If they're not released officially tomorrow morning, I'd give them about 10 minutes after the signing to show up on ebay!:lol:

Erika

One thing I have noticed in my short life is that as a general rule artists always seem to dislike any other artist that has any mass appeal or success.

And that many of the same ones who dislike "pretty for the sake of pretty" have no problem with its opposite :ROFLOL:

IMO art should evoke some sort of emotion and I don't feel connected to any of his pieces. But he has enough other fans; he doesn't need me :lol:

bgraham34

I was at one of his stores on Saturday and I was asking the salesman about it and he said oh no only the DisneyLand version was ever made. I was surprised the guy was unaware.

momofnine

We just got home from disneyworld yesterday:cry:. My husband and I went to the unveiling of the painting at the Grand Floridian. We were given the oportunity to buy 1 item per person (pin, print, oil, etc..) We also received a "gift" with our breakfast, a framed print. the painting is very nice. From my understanding, the print will be sold at the Magic Kingdom. The items we bought had a mk price tag on them.:shrug: Hope this helps.

RLMickey

I had the opportunity to go meet him at this event. Him and his wife were some of the most genuinely nice people I have met with some type of celebrity status. He was very passionate in the way he talked about his work. I don't like all of his paintings but it is amazing to see the original up close and you can't help but admire the artistic skill it takes to give the paintings he does the "light" effect he is known for. Plus he had quite a huge following at that event and his painting of the castle is very true to form and beautiful. I was able to pick up a pin and post card, and plan to get the 11x14 once more come in stock.

PintoColvig

I just saw the painting on the Thomas Kinkade website. http://www.thomaskinkade.com

I still want to give it a look in person and see the lighting effects that characterize Kinkade's work. Nevertheless, based upon what I've seen thus far, I'm not that thrilled by it. The rainbow is way over the top--no pun intended--even for a Kinkade piece. And I don't "get" the deer either. Also, the pastoral setting just doesn't do it for me. I much prefer the DL one. It is in a themepark setting with people milling around. The DL one is much better than this new one IMO.

sissa216

We just got home from disneyworld yesterday:cry:. My husband and I went to the unveiling of the painting at the Grand Floridian. We were given the oportunity to buy 1 item per person (pin, print, oil, etc..) We also received a "gift" with our breakfast, a framed print. the painting is very nice. From my understanding, the print will be sold at the Magic Kingdom. The items we bought had a mk price tag on them.:shrug: Hope this helps.

and here's the picture from it:
91d8ec47.jpg

happymom52003

Original Poster
I just saw the painting on the Thomas Kinkade website. http://www.thomaskinkade.com

I still want to give it a look in person and see the lighting effects that characterize Kinkade's work. Nevertheless, based upon what I've seen thus far, I'm not that thrilled by it. The rainbow is way over the top--no pun intended--even for a Kinkade piece. And I don't "get" the deer either. Also, the pastoral setting just doesn't do it for me. I much prefer the DL one. It is in a themepark setting with people milling around. The DL one is much better than this new one IMO.

I agree. I am a huge fan of his and will probably end up buying this one, but I also like the DL better. The deer are supposed to represent Bambi and his mother. I think I would like it much better if the rainbows were not in it. And I like that he included Tinkerbell, but her placement in the painting is very distracting and I find it odd that she has a circle around her. But I still love the painting.

JLW11Hi

/\/\ :veryconfu: Its perfectly relevant. He's giving info on where to buy the painting. The one this thread is about.

The general feeling of Kinkade's work is that they are churned out in a sort of assembly line fashion. They are intended for a broader range of appeal. This is what bugs a lot of artists. The terms kitch and schmaltz appear a lot when discussing his work.

It makes a lot of sence for him to be doing works for Disney. They both have similar target audiences and similar themes. And there's nothing wrong with that.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Thomas Kinkade is a phenomenal painter. I can't deny that. However, he's not an artist in my opinion (those questioning my opinion, I'll email you my portfolio and resume ;) ), since his works contain nothing that I view as an expression of the his soul, mind, or opinions/views. Unless he only sees pretty views, thinks pretty things, and only has pretty opinion/views, his work is pretty weak art.

It is what I call appliance art - as in his work has about as much personality as my dishwasher, and was made with the same type of love and attention.

Next!

happymom52003

Original Poster
/\/\ :veryconfu: Its perfectly relevant. He's giving info on where to buy the painting. The one this thread is about.

The general feeling of Kinkade's work is that they are churned out in a sort of assembly line fashion. They are intended for a broader range of appeal. This is what bugs a lot of artists. The terms kitch and schmaltz appear a lot when discussing his work.

It makes a lot of sence for him to be doing works for Disney. They both have similar target audiences and similar themes. And there's nothing wrong with that.

There is a difference between promoting your own business and giving info about where to purchase a product. The poster was breaking the forum rules. Funny it was his very first post.
The safest way to purchase a Kinkade painting is to go to the official website and locate a gallery near you, or you can order from the website (although this one is not available to order off of the website as of now). Even if you order off of his website, the gallery closest to you will actually handle the order.

Fantasyland2005

Not here to scam you

Hello, I am replying to the posts about my post. BTW I'm a girl :wave: and my name is Kayce. I am not trying to sell you, but to inform you where you can get these paintings.

happymom52003

Original Poster
Fantasyland 2005.....No one is being mean. You broke the forum rules, which is why your original post was removed. I am sure your second one will be removed soon since you linked your website again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom