this rumor has gained legs......Pepsi

Brad Bishop

Domino's Pizza did something similar in the late 1980s by changing the recipe for their sauce. It used to be just a bit sweeter and was pretty good. They changed it to cut costs and people noticed right away but eventually stopped complaining. Now it's just thought of as mediocre pizza when, at a time, it was thought of as pretty good delivery pizza.

There was something else I meant to add which slipped my mind when I posted:

At about the same time (I think maybe a year or so after altering their sauce) Domino's went from you ordering one pizza, in what we'd consider normal sizes (I think it was either Large (16") and Medium (14")) to the current 14" and 12"). I think, though I don't know for sure, that it was a move to give you less toppings for your dollar. I believe the idea was: dough is cheap and toppings are more expensive. Give them a smaller pizza as a "large" and, ultimately, even if they order two, you're getting more money for less toppings (Hey, look at our spreadsheet!).

It, IMO, further cheapened their product. I suppose you could say the same about McDonalds. I remember when a Big Mac was actually big. Now it's just a lot of bread with some thin/small patties in the middle. I don't think I've eaten one in decades.

AEfx

I'm a Pepsi guy (Diet Pepsi) - and this is both wonderful and not so much.

Just for qualification purposes, I like Diet Pepsi so much that I have ordered cases of glass bottled soda from distributors whenever I can get my hands on them (I don't drink beer, but I totally get why some people like beer out of a can vs. bottle - sure as heck not as bad as plastic).

I would be thrilled to be able to buy bottled Diet Pepsi in the parks. I can only drink a Diet Coke bottle once in a great while - once it starts to not be ice cold it's just blech. Back when I used to stay on property I used to try to buy them from the vending machine at the airport before I got there. Even the gas stations on Disney property don't sell it - I swear, I thought I was tripping the first time I went into one, a blistering day, and I walked around four times before I realized that was it - only Coke.

All that said...on the other hand, fountain Pepsi (at least Diet Pepsi) sucks. It tastes nothing like what's in the bottles. At least the fast food versions like Dairy Queen. I've had it in nicer sit-down restaurants and it hasn't been terrible, but Diet Coke out of the fountain is hard to beat.

So personally, I'd be happy as a pig in you know what if I could buy an ice cold Diet Pepsi anytime in the parks - I'd just probably try other stuff at sit-downs.

WDWBryan

My thoughts as well. Contracts can be bought out. Deals could be made. Nothing in business is set in stone.

Slightly apropos. Long ago individual Subway franchisees could choose their beverage vendor. Subway saw toasted sandwiches becoming a thing and was looking at having to buy toasting ovens for all their stores. Coke came along and offered to buy the toasting ovens if Subway directed all franchisees to switch to Coke beverage service.

Point being, how would we feel about A-mode Yeti with a Pepsi logo across his body.
I remember when Subway had pepsi. I know a lot of places that had pepsi and switched to coke. I always thought pepsi was cheaper so was surprised so many turned to coke.

Fuddruckers, Pollo Tropical and Busch Gardens / Sea World are a couple I can think of that switched.

Daniel Johnson

Well its all the worst but nothing really made me gag like big red... Now that was putrid.
What?! When I was a kid we would travel to Colorado every summer to stay with my grandma...she always had Big Red for me! I loved that stuff. Though, I might not like it now...idk. I can't find the stuff.

I don't think it's accurate to say Pepsi is hated in the South. Having grown up there, there were plenty of Coke folks and Pepsi folks and RC Cola had a loyal following. Everyone seems to have their drink.

I never have understood the allure of Dr. Pepper, myself, but people love that drink, too. I've always been partial to 7UP but you have to look for it.

If I remember correctly, there is a sign in central Florida right on I-75 that mentions "this is Pepsi country". Its not hated, not by a long shot.

If Pepsi did happen to start being a permanent fixture in the parks, would they have a place to sample global selections like club cool...because I could deal with that.

bhg469

What?! When I was a kid we would travel to Colorado every summer to stay with my grandma...she always had Big Red for me! I loved that stuff. Though, I might not like it now...idk. I can't find the stuff.

If I remember correctly, there is a sign in central Florida right on I-75 that mentions "this is Pepsi country". Its not hated, not by a long shot.

If Pepsi did happen to start being a permanent fixture in the parks, would they have a place to sample global selections like club cool...because I could deal with that.
I had it in northern KY on a work trip because I heard it was fantastic. I used to like all kinds of weird stuff when I was younger kid too but wow... That stuff was like fizzy cough syrup that has the added bonus of tooth decay.

I also saw signs for it when I was in Houston for work. This time I was smart enough to not try it.

Dave Z

Well if Pepsi gets in, then I won't have to bring it with me. I never like Coke, I also agree with photoDave, go with whiskey!

DisneyCane

I remember when Subway had pepsi. I know a lot of places that had pepsi and switched to coke. I always thought pepsi was cheaper so was surprised so many turned to coke.

When I was involved in ownership of a small chain of movie theatres, Coke was slightly cheaper. The word was that Pepsi had better service but Coke was willing to put in more equipment.

HRHPrincessAriel

I realize people have a preference. I prefer Diet Coke however, I'll drink but what's on sale.

I just always order "Coke" and am ok if they say they've only got Pepsi.

Is it that one sided that people won't drink one vs the other?

I just need my caffeine!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom