this rumor has gained legs......Pepsi

radiohost

This will not happen.

No way Coke loses that contract. Besides, Pepsi is hated in the south. This would tick off way to many people.

Brad Bishop

This will not happen.

No way Coke loses that contract. Besides, Pepsi is hated in the south. This would tick off way to many people.

I don't know about that. Contract change and end. I remember at one time where the only card you could use at WDW was American Express. It was their "Official Card". (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I just remember it pretty distinctly from the late 1980s or so).

Eventually that ended and you can use anything (which is good).

Amex also recently lost exclusivity to Costco which looks to be costing them about 10% of their cardmembers. That's pretty huge.

ABQ

This will not happen.

You sure? Proud sponsor in the Swamp

upload_2016-6-15_8-12-57.png

Brad Bishop

I don't think it's accurate to say Pepsi is hated in the South. Having grown up there, there were plenty of Coke folks and Pepsi folks and RC Cola had a loyal following. Everyone seems to have their drink.

I never have understood the allure of Dr. Pepper, myself, but people love that drink, too. I've always been partial to 7UP but you have to look for it.

ABQ

I don't think it's accurate to say Pepsi is hated in the South. Having grown up there, there were plenty of Coke folks and Pepsi folks and RC Cola had a loyal following. Everyone seems to have their drink.

I never have understood the allure of Dr. Pepper, myself, but people love that drink, too. I've always been partial to 7UP but you have to look for it.
No Mr Pib? I have no idea about this stuff really, as I grew up with Moxie!

bhg469

It always amazes me how products come and go. In the 1970s there was a pretty intense battle between Coke and Pepsi. Coke kind of screwed that up in the 1980s with New Coke (quickly pulled back on that - how those folks made that call is beyond me). Anyway, I remember it getting fairly quiet towards the end of the 1980s (not a lot of ads) and then in the 1990s it felt like Pepsi ads everywhere.

In the 2000s it seemed to die out again and now it feels like they aren't even relevant products. I don't know anyone who drinks Coke or Pepsi on a regular basis. Everyone has switched to water and coffee.

I think they kind of screwed up a bit by going to cheaper corn-based fructose. It changed the taste. It's not as good. I don't even think it's as good for you. I think it disassociates people who really liked their product before, even if they don't realize it - like in the back of their head they know something's not right/not quite as good, but they don't think about it and just stop purchasing.

Domino's Pizza did something similar in the late 1980s by changing the recipe for their sauce. It used to be just a bit sweeter and was pretty good. They changed it to cut costs and people noticed right away but eventually stopped complaining. Now it's just thought of as mediocre pizza when, at a time, it was thought of as pretty good delivery pizza.

It makes me wonder: Are you really better off selling a sub-standard/mediocre product when you pulled people in with a quality product? I know on the books that you can look at a spreadsheet and see: Before we were earning $3 on a pizza and now we're yielding $3.05!.. Across all of those pizzas throughout the year that's a pretty huge take considering we just cheapened one of the products.. It doesn't account for lost sales, though, or lost loyalty. On a spreadsheet it looks good, though.
Yes it is funny how some brands downgrade their product raise the price and expect people to always be fine with it.

I wonder why I have heard that on this forum before :)

Kamikaze

I don't know about that. Contract change and end. I remember at one time where the only card you could use at WDW was American Express. It was their "Official Card". (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I just remember it pretty distinctly from the late 1980s or so).

Eventually that ended and you can use anything (which is good).

Amex also recently lost exclusivity to Costco which looks to be costing them about 10% of their cardmembers. That's pretty huge.

The terms of the contract are so pro-Disney that if Pepsi was going to try to 'beat' those terms, there is not any way they would make money.

Tom P.

I am a diehard Coke drinker. My wife barely tolerates Coke and is a diehard Pepsi drinker. Our battles are legendary. :)

If they added Pepsi to the parks along with Coke, I would be okay. If they completely removed Coke and went Pepsi-only, that would suck a little joy out of my vacation.

Now, some have mentioned Dr. Pepper. I'd be totally on-board with that! Dr. Pepper is, of course, neither a Coke nor a Pepsi product. In some markets it's bottled by the local Coke bottler and in some the local Pepsi bottler, but it's owned by neither. It is actually made by Dr. Pepper Snapple Company. It could be introduced into the parks without introducing Pepsi products. However, as others have mentioned, I suspect that the current contract with Coca-Cola calls for Coke products only, not just no Pepsi products.

Chipster

Many years ago there was a time when you had the choice of Coke or Pepsi. Ultimately they switched to Coke and a friend of mine who worked at Disney said Disney did not pay a dime for the fountain drink sodas. Pepsi was one of the sponsors at the NY World's Fair in 1964 of one of the Disney engineered exhibits.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The terms of the contract are so pro-Disney that if Pepsi was going to try to 'beat' those terms, there is not any way they would make money.

Coke is not making money from Disney, It's the so called prestige of being the SUPPLIER to Disney, Pepsi will need to pay in order to displace Coke at disney, So if Pepsi's willing to part with 10-20 million + Free Syrup for drinks well Coke will be only a memory in 24-36 hours.

Kamikaze

Coke is not making money from Disney, It's the so called prestige of being the SUPPLIER to Disney, Pepsi will need to pay in order to displace Coke at disney, So if Pepsi's willing to part with 10-20 million + Free Syrup for drinks well Coke will be only a memory in 24-36 hours.

Coke makes a ton of money from WDW and DLR actually. Fountain drinks aren't the only thing sold.

ewensell3

Never underestimate what Disney will do for a buck these days. Coke gives Disney FREE syrup for drinks. What if Pepsi PAYS Disney to feature their products. Coke would get dumped so fast your head will spin

My thoughts as well. Contracts can be bought out. Deals could be made. Nothing in business is set in stone.

Slightly apropos. Long ago individual Subway franchisees could choose their beverage vendor. Subway saw toasted sandwiches becoming a thing and was looking at having to buy toasting ovens for all their stores. Coke came along and offered to buy the toasting ovens if Subway directed all franchisees to switch to Coke beverage service.

Point being, how would we feel about A-mode Yeti with a Pepsi logo across his body.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom