The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ParentsOf4

Sure am. In between work and other items I have looked at most date ranges even with the discounts and still don't see it below $100. Not calling BS because rates fluctuate on near constant basis.
My mind didn't go to your possibly thinking BS.....:confused:
The Cabana Bay Standard Room is showing an average of $92.46/night in September with a "Stay more, save more" 7-night discount.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 $100.50
Sun Sep 21, 2014 $89.25
Mon Sep 22, 2014 $89.25
Tue Sep 23, 2014 $89.25
Wed Sep 24, 2014 $89.25
Thu Sep 25, 2014 $89.25
Fri Sep 26, 2014 $100.50​

With tax, it comes to $104/night.

The All Star Standard rooms currently are $117/night for those same nights.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As I recall 'one nut job' set the world on fire in the 1930's and we are STILL dealing with the aftereffects.

Yes, but it took a lot more than 1 man.

All that I'm saying is that we can't judge our country or our society on the radical thoughts of one politician or one academic. People have radical ideas all the time. That right is still protected by the constitution. Implying that our country is heading towards becoming Nazi Germany because some person or group of people want to imprison anti-environmentalists for life is a stretch. If as a nation we elected senators and congressmen and a president that all felt that way maybe then there would be parallels.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The Cabana Bay Standard Room is showing an average of $92.46/night in September with a "Stay more, save more" 7-night discount.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 $100.50
Sun Sep 21, 2014 $89.25
Mon Sep 22, 2014 $89.25
Tue Sep 23, 2014 $89.25
Wed Sep 24, 2014 $89.25
Thu Sep 25, 2014 $89.25

If you factor in free dining with the All Stars, Cabana Bay is actually slightly more expensive for that time of year. I'm sure TDO is happy to see that. The last thing they need is for Universal to undercut them. Although it kinda forces them to continue offering free dining. If Comcast wanted to put a hurt on WDW they could deep discount these rooms. It will be interesting to see who follows who on pricing now that Universal has a little more skin in the hotel game.

ParentsOf4

If you factor in free dining with the All Stars, Cabana Bay is actually slightly more expensive for that time of year. I'm sure TDO is happy to see that. The last thing they need is for Universal to undercut them. Although it kinda forces them to continue offering free dining. If Comcast wanted to put a hurt on WDW they could deep discount these rooms. It will be interesting to see who follows who on pricing now that Universal has a little more skin in the hotel game.
You're assuming Uni won't offer other discounts in September while WDW will offer "Free Dining", which slowly is going the way of the dodo bird.

Come September, Uni will be offering the most incredible theme park experience since 2010 while WDW will be offering a new kiddie coaster.

Come to think of it, you're right. WDW will be offering "Free Dining". ;)

fbb

After the last earnings call fiasco where Iger twice admitted he had no idea how MyMagic+ was doing financially ("I can't quantify it from a financial perspective yet" and "we're not even close to being able to quantify it") expect Iger & Rasulo to be well-prepared with all sorts of facts & figures, even if some are a bit "creative".

Oh, I think he had an idea. But you're right on the rest.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Sat Sep 20, 2014 $100.50
Sun Sep 21, 2014 $89.25
Mon Sep 22, 2014 $89.25
Tue Sep 23, 2014 $89.25
Wed Sep 24, 2014 $89.25
Thu Sep 25, 2014 $89.25

Thanks for the back up!

alissafalco

I would suggest no one move to FL just to be closer to the "magic". It gets boring faster than you'd imagine :) Now if you want to relocate here to avoid snow (that is what brought me here many years ago), then thats a whole other story. But spirit is right...we stay indoors a LOT here because its TOO hot.
I dont care, I'd much rather stay indoors because its too hot, then have to stay indoors because its too cold!

Last edited:

bhg469

I dont care, I'd much rather stay in doors because its too hot, then have to stay in doors because its too cold!
Right! I always point out that I don't mind the snow, its kind of nice when its new. The march, april, may rain where its 40 degrees and everythign is muddy, grey and everything is wet and miserablie, thats when I lose it. I have been flying down for spring training 3 years now, and I am to the point where if work stopped sending me, i would find a new job down in FL. Not necessarily close to the magic but somewhere I can go outside after 7pm and not be frozen.

maxairmike

So I've brought the subject up once or twice, and we all know that ESPN is the company's current cash cow. Well, time to bring up the subject again. I believe that ESPN has been dangerously toeing the line and has even crossed it many times regarding how they handle college athletics, particularly college football. It seems we may not be too far from finding out how well they keep their balance and/or cover up what shouldn't be seen. Maryland has now subpoenaed ESPN along with 10 ACC schools regarding any and all communication regarding TV contract negotiations and other such items.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...land-issues-subpoenas-to-10-acc-schools-espn/

I wonder how closely Bob has been watching the folks in Bristol? Not close enough, I think. They're bordering on pushing folks away from the larger Disney brand, because surprisingly enough, a lot of folks who know sports know very well that Disney owns ESPN. Could get interesting if they didn't tie up all their loose ends.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You're assuming Uni won't offer other discounts in September while WDW will offer "Free Dining", which slowly is going the way of the dodo bird.

Come September, Uni will be offering the most incredible theme park experience since 2010 while WDW will be offering a new kiddie coaster.

Come to think of it, you're right. WDW will be offering "Free Dining". ;)

They almost certainly will be offering free dining. I think they would love to not offer it, but as your chart showed they are millions of rooms away from that. Free dining is a powerful marketing tool for Disney to fill hotel rooms. I personally can't stand the concept and think it has ruined a lot of the dining experiences for everyone, but it's wildly popular. If you sat down with a spreadsheet and did the math free dining isn't even always a great discount when compared to room only discounts, but you will find a lot of people who insist they are getting a great deal.

No doubt Universal will have the better theme park additions for this year. Not even a contest. I have no doubt they will see larger growth in theme park attendance too. The bigger question related to lodging is will people switch to Cabana Bay and maybe spend a few days at MK and/or EPCOT or will they still stay at the All Stars with free dining for a week and visit Universal for a few days. If Universal prices this new hotel low enough even free dining won't save Disney. The question is does Universal really care enough about sticking it to Disney? I kinda think we as fans exaggerate that conflict a bit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So I've brought the subject up once or twice, and we all know that ESPN is the company's current cash cow. Well, time to bring up the subject again. I believe that ESPN has been dangerously toeing the line and has even crossed it many times regarding how they handle college athletics, particularly college football. It seems we may not be too far from finding out how well they keep their balance and/or cover up what shouldn't be seen. Maryland has now subpoenaed ESPN along with 10 ACC schools regarding any and all communication regarding TV contract negotiations and other such items.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...land-issues-subpoenas-to-10-acc-schools-espn/

I wonder how closely Bob has been watching the folks in Bristol? Not close enough, I think. They're bordering on pushing folks away from the larger Disney brand, because surprisingly enough, a lot of folks who know sports know very well that Disney owns ESPN. Could get interesting if they didn't tie up all their loose ends.
This whole issue with schools jumping from one conference to another is ridiculous. College football makes so much money for the schools that the presidents and trustees are afraid to step in and put an end to the madness. Eventually something like Penn State happens because of the greed and turning a blind eye. The University of Maryland should be focused on things like teaching and research and academics. Instead they have teams of lawyers and probably most of the administration focusing on a lawsuit over millions owed to them by the ACC. It's sad and maddening to see what's going on these days.

I know that wasn't your point in posting this, just my own rant. In reference to ESPN, their hands are just as dirty as any of the schools involved. They want to ensure that the conferences who have contracts with ESPN stay strong. I'm not sure if the average Disney Chanel fan (or parent of those fans) is going to care much. IMhO there is a much bigger threat to the ESPN bottom line than to the Disney brand.

bhg469

They almost certainly will be offering free dining. I think they would love to not offer it, but as your chart showed they are millions of rooms away from that. Free dining is a powerful marketing tool for Disney to fill hotel rooms. I personally can't stand the concept and think it has ruined a lot of the dining experiences for everyone, but it's wildly popular. If you sat down with a spreadsheet and did the math free dining isn't even always a great discount when compared to room only discounts, but you will find a lot of people who insist they are getting a great deal.

No doubt Universal will have the better theme park additions for this year. Not even a contest. I have no doubt they will see larger growth in theme park attendance too. The bigger question related to lodging is will people switch to Cabana Bay and maybe spend a few days at MK and/or EPCOT or will they still stay at the All Stars with free dining for a week and visit Universal for a few days. If Universal prices this new hotel low enough even free dining won't save Disney. The question is does Universal really care enough about sticking it to Disney? I kinda think we as fans exaggerate that conflict a bit.
I am of the opinion that they don't care. They are clearly going for a different audience and they seem content with that.

Astro Blaster

Star Wars Land will happen.

Eventually.

Rarely is a corporation handed such an obvious no-brainer.

If it doesn't happen, then Disney leadership truly are a group of idiots.
I know this has been said but I really, really hope they do this right. If they do, it can be better than Harry Potter.

Think about it - the premise of Disneyland since 1955 has been to transport you from the world of today to the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. Isn't that why each land has a movie-style poster? With Star Wars, you can be transported virtually ANYWHERE. Ice planet, desert planet, futuristic city planet, the tropics, jungle, spaceports, etc.

When Star Wars land finally opens, I don't want to visit a couple of attractions and say, "that was pretty cool." I want to be transported to that universe and absolutely blown away.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It seems we may not be too far from finding out how well they keep their balance and/or cover up what shouldn't be seen. Maryland has now subpoenaed ESPN along with 10 ACC schools regarding any and all communication regarding TV contract negotiations and other such

Don't read too much into the maryland subpoena. It's nothing more than about the fight for maryland to leave the ACC and the crazy 52 million exit fee. The tv stuff is just fodder in that fight

SirLink

I know this has been said but I really, really hope they do this right. If they do, it can be better than Harry Potter.

Think about it - the premise of Disneyland since 1955 has been to transport you from the world of today to the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. Isn't that why each land has a movie-style poster? With Star Wars, you can be transported virtually ANYWHERE. Ice planet, desert planet, futuristic city planet, the tropics, jungle, spaceports, etc.

When Star Wars land finally opens, I don't want to visit a couple of attractions and say, "that was pretty cool." I want to be transported to that universe and absolutely blown away.

This is the same company that sells Mr Potato Heads as Star Wars people, the same company that sells Mickey Jedi ... to do it right they have to remove that and rethink merchandise to the point if this is the real world what merchandise would I expect to be there. Which they hit some of those notes with Cars Land but not nearly enough.

bhg469

Thats what we all want. despite my recent criticism of the place, all I want is for them to try again. I don't need them to dumb down anythign anymore.

PhotoDave219

I'm gonna complain about DTD parking for a minute...

Whatever senior level executive has allowed parking to devolve into the utter clusterF that it is has no business being an executive at any company, let alone having the responsibility of walking a dog.

Clearly, nobody thought this through by any stretch of the imagination. The amount of disrespect shown the guests and the cast is immeasurable.....

Carry on.

maxairmike

Don't read too much into the maryland subpoena. It's nothing more than about the fight for maryland to leave the ACC and the crazy 52 million exit fee. The tv stuff is just fodder in that fight

Oh, I know very well the larger picture in the whole thing. I have probably close to 100 posts on the topic of conference realignment alone on the college football forum I frequent in a topic twice as long as this Spirited thread (sorry, @WDW1974, one thing is more popular than Spirited musings, college football ;) ). Just more posting it here because I wonder if Spirit knows much about what goes on in Bristol and how he thinks that could help or hurt the company as a whole. And I wouldn't take some of the accusations surrounding the situations that might come to light through the subpoenas as lightly, if they do see the light of day. I'm sure it will get settled before that happens (especially if, as I suspect and as an ACC school's Athletic Director let slip, ESPN was actively involved in providing advice to the conference and its schools regarding conference realignment), but given that ESPN basically owns the sport's post-season (all but 4 bowls have their media rights controlled by ESPN) and its conference and school affiliations (don't tell me the Longhorn Network situation doesn't make you think twice about how they report on Texas), there are some very large and negative implications/ramifications if things should see the light of day in a court room.

That's setting aside the issues raised by GoofGoof, which I basically wholly agree with. But ESPN seems more and more like it could be heading towards having some negative effects for the Disney brand as a whole among the educated sports crowd. I've also found it somewhat interesting that they've only managed to draw in MLB spring training in terms of being a base for pro training/development in the off-season at WWOS, and even that may be coming to an end. The play for a spot on the bowling circuit seems to have died off, and MLS pre-season is really more of an afterthought event with their Pro Soccer Classic compared to other events. Of course the youth events pay off big time, and they do have the Old Spice Classic with college basketball in the winter. I wonder if, with them running the SEC Network and WDW being a popular spot for folks in SEC territory if they may try to bring a Pro Day or other college training sessions/events to the complex. Bringing something related to college football to the property could be huge, even if it is off-season.

alissafalco

I'm gonna complain about DTD parking for a minute...

Whatever senior level executive has allowed parking to devolve into the utter clusterF that it is has no business being an executive at any company, let alone having the responsibility of walking a dog.

Clearly, nobody thought this through by any stretch of the imagination. The amount of disrespect shown the guests and the cast is immeasurable.....

Carry on.
That's really terrible. When I'm down there soon I'm avoiding DTD like the plague!

Figments Friend

Pockets of inbred hillbillies surrounded by large groups of retired folks who cared so much about the communities they grew up in--where they were born, worked, went to church, raised their kids--that they abandoned them for no snow. Plus a lot of developers trying to make a quick buck. Most Florida voters care as much about the state's future in 10 years as TWDC execs care about the company's future in 5 years.

Heh heh....nice.
A entertaining way of describing Florida, indeed.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom