The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
He has ripped you numerous times.

I think he has attacked at least 30 members here, the mods here, the folks who run Micechat, Jim Hill and many others ...
Brilliant. Thanks for that. I feel much better now.

I wonder if he will ever come out from his cowardly cave.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actually Triumph of the Will is from the 1934 Nazi Party Annual Rally. Interestingly, the copyright is owned by the German state and hence here in Germany you can only see it as part of an educational screening in museums or such. It will always include commentary and an introduction.

while the rhetoric in this film might be especially obvious, there are enough other examples for it. And for someone like me who grew up learning that we have a responsibility that this part of my country's history May never again repeat itself, a lot of political rhetoric easily becomes cringe-worthy, especially listening to US politicians. But I don't think it is the rhetoric that make something bad, it is the content. While certain means might be a warning sign (if I sell by appealing only to feelings, not to ratio) it is no way a sign that everything is bad.

Sorry for the thread thrift, it is just a topic that makes me write a lot (and if you make the connection of marketing a product instead of ideas in a purely emotional, not rational form, we could even make a connection back to those who sell pixie dust ;-) )

It's the IDEAS behind and form the basis for the rhetoric which are scary, We now have academics and some politicians saying 'climate deniers' should be imprisoned for life, This kind of thinking leads to the camps and I'm sorry has NO PLACE in the modern world.

When I was a child I knew survivors from the camps and I took their stories to heart we can NEVER AGAIN do that. Perhaps one needs to be German or have the experience of knowing someone who survived the camps to truly understand how scary things are becoming here.

Goofyernmost

almost.....you know when all that stuff occurred in nazi Germany they said the same things? really, not now ect....you believe only what you think YOU could imagine. Those in power are not you and CAN imagine crueler things than the devil....(hes contractually obligated)

edit (this is why im so pro gun) (it is the only real insurance policy) that most of our friends in Europe have abandoned.
I can wholeheartedly agree with your your second paragraph (edit) and have said that for a long time. I don't think we have needed to go this crazy about it. The right to bear arms does not specifically state that any automatic, blow things to pieces weapons, are necessary for the population, but, guns should never be banned if we are to maintain our freedoms.

However, the first, in relation to WDW, is not even close to being a reasonable thought. Tracking in the park to determine our habits, within the park, does not set us up for doom. We, as a society, gave all that stuff up, willingly when the computer age hit. The idea that computers and electronics have been nothing but bad, is a fallacy. As many positive things have come from that as negative. If my home phone is tapped, then I am losing my privacy and my freedom. If my mail is being looked at, I am losing my privacy and freedom. If my movements in a theme park are followed electronically, for the purpose of business enhancement, then I don't see where any of my freedoms have been touched. If I inject the privacy issue knowing full well that I am in a public area open to the visual tracking of plain eyesight, then I haven't even lost my privacy. I never had it to begin with. I can be seen and observed by anyone that wishes to do so. Surveillance in many sectors of my/our lives are a very bad and worrisome thing. Focusing in on the workings of a theme park, doesn't cause me one moment of interrupted sleep. Especially knowing that if I want to avoid it, I simply don't go where it is. I haven't seen people staying away in droves yet, at least not because of that! It has been made a public issue and apparently has only struck an evil cord with a very few people.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's the IDEAS behind and form the basis for the rhetoric which are scary, We now have academics and some politicians saying 'climate deniers' should be imprisoned for life, This kind of thinking leads to the camps and I'm sorry has NO PLACE in the modern world.

When I was a child I knew survivors from the camps and I took their stories to heart we can NEVER AGAIN do that. Perhaps one needs to be German or have the experience of knowing someone who survived the camps to truly understand how scary things are becoming here.

Im willing to admit that things could be better in our country and our world. There is a big difference between some radical saying something about people being imprisoned for life and society accepting it and going through with it. We have a hard time putting actual criminals in jail. If the majority of the population agreed with this thinking it would be really frightening, but one nut job saying it isn't concerning to me.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
They already masterplanned a resort where River Country sits and rots (maybe Dr. Blondie or Bland Tommy or Crazy Gary can do a blog post about RC 'Then and Now' ...) that was shelved due to cost.

BUT ... building one in the EPCOT parking lot would be far less costly ... yes, I am serious ... yes, they have a plan.

A turn key ready plan at that. One that would have changed not only the fact of Fort Wild's Fort area but also MASSIVE changes to the waterfront. Charm would have been lost greatly.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The right to bare arms

quick-question-bear-arms.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Im willing to admit that things could be better in our country and our world. There is a big difference between some radical saying something about people being imprisoned for life and society accepting it and going through with it. We have a hard time putting actual criminals in jail. If the majority of the population agreed with this thinking it would be really frightening, but one nut job saying it isn't concerning to me.

As I recall 'one nut job' set the world on fire in the 1930's and we are STILL dealing with the aftereffects.

michmousefan

WDW is selling theme park tickets because of its former greatness, because of nostalgia, because of what Roy Disney created, because of what Card Walker and Michael Eisner expanded on. Not because of anything being done by current leadership... These tricks are indicative of a management team more concerned with this year's annual bonus than with the health of the organization 5 or 10 years from now, of a management team that has no vision. Of a team that has no heart for the theme park business. How much more can extracted from paying customers before it begins to boomerang?

They green-light NextGen and yet let J.K. Rowling walk. They move forward with Avatar Land yet dither on Star Wars Land.

All good points on the underlying finances and management of WDW. Totally agree with 99% of what you say. However, regarding Star Wars... I am still holding out hope that one major reason for the lack of details on a Star Wars Land is that a significant part of it will deal with settings in the upcoming movies. What if JJ and Co. have a more iconic icon up their sleeves than the famed Death Star? They might, they might not. But if they do... and a SW Land is announced that simply involves folks walking around a recreation of Tatooine/Mos Eisley, then it makes sense to use the new stuff. If the new film includes such amazing setting(s), and wasn't recreated for the new Land, then folks would be just as bitchy about how Disney "missed the opportunity" to leverage the new stuff. So... while impatient with Disney/TDO on many fronts, I'm still willing to let the SW stuff gestate for a bit longer.

ParentsOf4

All good points on the underlying finances and management of WDW. Totally agree with 99% of what you say. However, regarding Star Wars... I am still holding out hope that one major reason for the lack of details on a Star Wars Land is that a significant part of it will deal with settings in the upcoming movies. What if JJ and Co. have a more iconic icon up their sleeves than the famed Death Star? They might, they might not. But if they do... and a SW Land is announced that simply involves folks walking around a recreation of Tatooine/Mos Eisley, then it makes sense to use the new stuff. If the new film includes such amazing setting(s), and wasn't recreated for the new Land, then folks would be just as bitchy about how Disney "missed the opportunity" to leverage the new stuff. So... while impatient with Disney/TDO on many fronts, I'm still willing to let the SW stuff gestate for a bit longer.
Star Wars Land will happen.

Eventually.

Rarely is a corporation handed such an obvious no-brainer.

If it doesn't happen, then Disney leadership truly are a group of idiots.

the.dreamfinder

Star Wars Land will happen.

Eventually.

Rarely is a corporation handed such an obvious no-brainer.

If it doesn't happen, then Disney leadership truly are a group of idiots.
I think they just like their stock options too much to care about where the company is in 5-10 years because they will have sold most of their position in DIS by then.

I do wonder how this summer will play out. I am hoping the street starts attacking Iger and Co when they realize they wasted 2+ billion on data mining and wristbands while the competition is taking a larger chunk of the Central Fla. tourism pie.

---more empty hotel rooms than after 9/11---
---UNI can make hundreds of millions of dollars on HE 2 park upgrades alone---

NowInc

How do you do that? We only have one ship in Miami ...

You are relatively close to me. ... And while I wouldn't live in Miami, I wouldn't pass up a nice, older home down in the Gables. About the only part of Miami-Dade that I wouldn't mind living in.

You're right...lack of sleep (had a killer deadline to meet) made me mistake the allure of the seas as a disney cruise (its significant for reasons on its own, as its the largest in the world..VERY worth checking out simply to be impressed by its size). So I guess I pass ONE disney cruise and ONE big a** ship :)

And yes, the Gable are VERY nice...but everything surrounding it is what keeps me from considering it.

Last edited:

NowInc

That is shame because DH, kids and I were thinking about moving down there from Indiana one year soon to be closer to the magic. Yet everything we read or learn about the area is negative, saying no jobs, high cost of living, and so on. it gets rather depressing but is still a dream of ours some day.

I would suggest no one move to FL just to be closer to the "magic". It gets boring faster than you'd imagine :) Now if you want to relocate here to avoid snow (that is what brought me here many years ago), then thats a whole other story. But spirit is right...we stay indoors a LOT here because its TOO hot.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I saw this and got excited with the $93 bit. I couldn't find that on any date and searched a good chunk of times looking for a time to check Cabana Bay out.

I'm sure it is their value season. Disney does that also, their starting ats are generally off season. If you are genuinely going to book and cannot find on your own try a travel agent. We have several good ones that are members on this sight familiar with both Uni and Disney. (and fyi I'm not one of them lol)

Edit: you are looking at the Standard Rooms not the suites right? Just check'n.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Edit: you are looking at the Standard Rooms not the suites right? Just check'n.

Sure am. In between work and other items I have looked at most date ranges even with the discounts and still don't see it below $100. Not calling BS because rates fluctuate on near constant basis.

Captain Neo

Yes, I said Fun With Tweets was done, but this really is special.
It takes a lot to have me ROTFLMFAO but this did. Should I get tees and pins made up saying Spirited Disney Menace to Society? Who would buy one?

Philip Kippel ‏@kippelphilip223 Mar 17
@DarthDopey @hintofspy Anyone who's a friend of WDW1974 is an enemy of mine! That guy is a menace to society! :mad:

I was abit stunned to learn Jim Disney (owner of the most excellent Westcoaster website) is friends with him. But then again i'm not surprised since he has been mocking Miceage and Jim Hill for years.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Sure am. In between work and other items I have looked at most date ranges even with the discounts and still don't see it below $100. Not calling BS because rates fluctuate on near constant basis.

My mind didn't go to your possibly thinking BS.....:confused:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/On-site-Hotels-How-to-Book.aspx

Anyhow here is the link that states what I posted with dates. But don't under estimate the usefulness of a good travel agent when you can't find it yourself. A quality agent like several on this sight do not charge you for their services. Sometimes we let pride get in the way of asking for help.

ParentsOf4

I do wonder how this summer will play out. I am hoping the street starts attacking Iger and Co when they realize they wasted 2+ billion on data mining and wristbands while the competition is taking a larger chunk of the Central Fla. tourism pie.
Don't bet on it. Expect the Iger lovefest to continue for a while longer. As the whole, the company is performing well, even if the MyMagic+ cracks are beginning to show.

After the last earnings call fiasco where Iger twice admitted he had no idea how MyMagic+ was doing financially ("I can't quantify it from a financial perspective yet" and "we're not even close to being able to quantify it") expect Iger & Rasulo to be well-prepared with all sorts of facts & figures, even if some are a bit "creative".

An investment in a theme park is not like a movie. Its performance can be masked in all sorts of ways. Don't be fooled. Just keep on eye on P&R's gross margin. It's been increasing steadily 6-8% through "higher ticket prices and food and beverage spending" for quite some time.

Disney rushed the 2014 ticket price increase months early in order to artificially inflate that number. As a result, there have been two price increases since February 2013. WDW tickets are up an average of 11% compared to 12 months ago. We'd have to see a significant bump in P&R's numbers in order for MyMagic+ to remotely begin to justify its existence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom