The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Lee

Adventurer
Some of you have asked me about @Lee 's whereabouts. All I can say is you NEVER go against the family! Oh, and something about a ceiling fan with a monkey that costs almost as much as dinner for four at Le Cellier.
Hey...lay off the monkey.
I don't make fun of your emperor Stitch.:p

Also, quite enjoyed Resurrection. I think it's gonna be a keeper.
It was, however, overshadowed by the sheer awesomeness of the True Detective finale.:jawdrop:

Cesar R M

Oh, forgot to mention that the awesome fire-breathing dragon in the MK's first new parade since 2001 (before FB, before smart phones, before Lifestylers, before our Constitution was used as toilet paper by two straight administrations, before WDW was even that stale) didn't make it a week with the fire effect working.
Seriously? not even a week??

Is it really already down? Good god. Can't say I'm shocked since they couldn't even get the float measurements right.
I was there today and very ed it wasnt working.

(See other thread)
How long was it? two days? anyone knows what might be the reason?

I have heard that one of J.K's issues with Disney was how they handled the Star Wars characters and, yes, I am deadly serious about that.

Now, I may think my plastic Emperor Stitch in my office looks kewl, but I can understand how SW purists might have an issue with that. And let's not forget all the Star Wars merchandise with Muppets (please, don't let the Oswald nut be reading now!!!)
The woman is so fiercely protective of her characters/brand that she won't allow walk-around versions of actual book characters and banned Coke products from all shops in the Wizarding World (even the breakrooms). I can't see her being pleased with a Donald-as-Draco pin or Hermione on stage shaking her to "I'm Sexy and I Know It."

You know, the whole protection thing was hilarious.. because that is actually the theme of the movie SAVING MR. BANKS. Miss Travers trying to protect her precious memory of her life portrayed in the "Mary Poppins" book.

Also, a Emperor Stitch? I will have to google that as I love anything Stitch related.

Snow White setting a table, plates clearly made a "hidden Mickey" ala Haunted Mansion ballroom. Camera shot didn't make it subtle.
I do not watch much of Once Upon a Time, but is there any screenshot?

It was inop the very next day.
the next freaking day?
did they talked about why?
I can only imagine an excuse of "It was dangerous for our guests".

but It would be hilarious if they actually "We ran out of gas and the money counters told us we're past our budged"

If Captain America 2 does well and GotG continues to track well, does Kevin Feige get revealed as Kree and become a Captain?
I really hope GOTG goes well, big fan of that group of misfits..
Still kinda sad they did NOT feature Cosmo or Mantis or Bug.

and I suppose if there is a GOTG movie, there MIGHT be a NOVA movie all confirmed and coming.
The question is.. will it be the older NOVA, the Young Adult Nova (the one during the Annihilation) or the new kid Alexander (New Vol)

StageFrenzy

I really hope GOTG goes well, big fan of that group of misfits..
Still kinda sad they did NOT feature Cosmo or Mantis or Bug.

and I suppose if there is a GOTG movie, there MIGHT be a NOVA movie all confirmed and coming.
The question is.. will it be the older NOVA, the Young Adult Nova (the one during the Annihilation) or the new kid Alexander (New Vol)

John C. Reily is Rhomann Dey but they are using the current line-up of the GotG. So they have two options for the character. I guess it just depends on how they want to unite the two worlds. I hope they decide to introduce or set it up at the end of the film.

Cesar R M

John C. Reily is Rhomann Dey but they are using the current line-up of the GotG. So they have two options for the character. I guess it just depends on how they want to unite the two worlds. I hope they decide to introduce or set it up at the end of the film.
this makes things a bit messy.

since current line up of GOTG seems to be of the current comics (sans Iron Man and the X-men)
but John C Reilly as Rhomann Dey? Isnt he supposed to be "Nova Prime" ? I tough in the movie the NOVA PRIME was going to be portrayed by Glenn Close.
It seems very messy to mix all these timelines.

StageFrenzy

this makes things a bit messy.

since current line up of GOTG seems to be of the current comics (sans Iron Man and the X-men)
but John C Reilly as Rhomann Dey? Isnt he supposed to be "Nova Prime" ? I tough in the movie the NOVA PRIME was going to be portrayed by Glenn Close.
It seems very messy to mix all these timelines.

John C. Reilly: Rhomann Dey
Glenn Close: Nova Prime Rael
Peter
Serafinowicz: Awesome and Nova Corps Officer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2015381/?ref_=nv_sr_1

SirLink

So you are saying it can be done for 30-50 million dollars.. and that's not a huge sum? And what's the actual net margin per unit sold? Breakeven is at what.. 1 million plus units?

Yeah.. totally sounds like that risk is a fallacy... :rolleyes:

Most production budgets tend to vary but if we look at that mediocre film known as Monsters University at $200million. So yep you can get four guaranteed games that will net more revenue than that of MU. Net margin depends on retail/digital - retail its around $30 for a $50 digital game it is about $40. Even then it gets tricky depending on the royalties for each digital distribution system. Breakeven is around a million, but most make it back with gusto.

But if you want to believe the risk is a fallacy that is entirely up to yo,u I just continue to work and be a part of this industry that in terms of entertainment is easily the most creative.

I don't know what I'm talking about so I'm making stuff up

I agree nothing in that post is close to resembling a #TRUTHFACT.

But getting back to main point the reason why the industry successful - because it lets risks vs rewards occur. The positives of this are its cyclical nature. Sometimes you have to destroy the dead wood to let new things to grow. If you told full time employees the truth, after a studio shuttered they would be looking to leave the industry but because of making them feel something that may or may not be true allows them to form indies which work almost as retainers for talent to stop them making the move to other sectors.

The problem with TWDC, Disney made employees have the 'feel' of self worth not because it was true he needed to manipulate his staff to get the most out of it and in a manner of speaking WED/WDI was used as a retainer to keep the best artists still in TWDC.

The problem comes from the the lack of talent resulting in mediocre films like Frozen/Tangled/Wreck it Ralph/Monsters University and huge budgets associated with them please explain how the competition can create a hit for $69million and WW brings in over $543million. That there is the problem with TWDC in general.

ParentsOf4

Ya and valet is 25 per day. It's worth it to pay the 7 dollars to get valet. There is def a parking problem there as well I agree. Resort fee? Nah they nickel and dime guests to death instead. They should just have a 50 dollar resort fee or something like that or a 20 dollar per day resort fee, but they love making there money on refrigerators, microwaves, gym fee, rollaway beds and parking. Hell they are even trying to charge people that request for more coffee in there rooms. So as overpriced as Disney's resorts are at least all those amenities are included. Not justifying the 500 a night rates at the lagoon resorts of course.
Using July 11 as an example (I can't use July 4. WDW has plenty of availability; Universal has none. I wonder why?):

Disney's Grand Floridian: Outer Building - Lagoon View
$690.75/night including tax

Universal's Portofino Bay: Bay View 2 Queen Room
$478.13/night with tax

Plus (and not Disney's fake "+" but a real plus) Universal's stay includes unlimited Express Pass all day long.

I'll gladly put up with some nickel-and-diming to save hundreds of dollars. :)

And yes, I've stayed at both and have an opinion as to which one is better. ;)

Scuttle

Using July 11 as an example:

$478.13/night with tax

Plus (and not Disney's fake "+" but a real plus) Universal's stay includes unlimited Express Pass all day long.

Im with you I think Portofino is right there with the GF. And exactly right about the UEP, that's a big time value for a family of four....

690 per night is downright wrong.

NowInc

I snuck out to the beach this afternoon and leered at Spring Breakers (as well as everyone else in a bathing suit) ... I have to say this isn't exactly the Best Bods locale.

As to the horrible weather, well, that's just part of the great myth of global climate change! It isn't really that cold or unusual!!! (yes, sarcasm for the sacrcastically challenged)

Fort Lauderdale hasn't been a "best bods" locale for over a decade..lol. South beach, however? Still doesn't justify the $25+ parking fees.

erider

Spirited Wednesday Musings:

I'm curious, anyone here been to Europa Park?

Yes, I go there about every year. Together with the Efteling and Europa Park (and Disneyland Paris of course) they are the best European theme parks. Europa Park had really grown the last couple of years, and is now the most visited park in Europe after Disneyland Paris. They also have 5 really elaborately themed resorts, and are now planning a water park.

Europa Park has really good themed lands, like Greece and Iceland. They have great rides too, especially the coasters. And they have a lot of shows. But the dark rides are not that good. They buy their animatronics from an outside company which isn't very good at making animatronics.

Anything you would like to know about Europa Park?

Future Guy

Oh, forgot to mention that the awesome fire-breathing dragon in the MK's first new parade since 2001 (before FB, before smart phones, before Lifestylers, before our Constitution was used as toilet paper by two straight administrations, before WDW was even that stale) didn't make it a week with the fire effect working.

Called it! On Sunday I was in a Twitter conversation (yes, I realize that is frowned upon here, but I don't care) in which I speculated that the fire effect would break by Tuesday, and that Phil Holmes would use the money saved by not fixing it to give himself a bonus.

And people wonder why I don't go to WDW anymore.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yes, I go there about every year. Together with the Efteling and Europa Park (and Disneyland Paris of course) they are the best European theme parks. Europa Park had really grown the last couple of years, and is now the most visited park in Europe after Disneyland Paris. They also have 5 really elaborately themed resorts, and are now planning a water park.

Europa Park has really good themed lands, like Greece and Iceland. They have great rides too, especially the coasters. And they have a lot of shows. But the dark rides are not that good. They buy their animatronics from an outside company which isn't very good at making animatronics.

Anything you would like to know about Europa Park?

Is everything and photos too much to ask? ;)

NowInc

Called it! On Sunday I was in a Twitter conversation (yes, I realize that is frowned upon here, but I don't care) in which I speculated that the fire effect would break by Tuesday, and that Phil Holmes would use the money saved by not fixing it to give himself a bonus.

And people wonder why I don't go to WDW anymore.

To be fair, has there been any proof that its indeed broken and not just turned off? Not that that would be any better...but still.

HM Spectre

The saddest part is.. how the hell you can fix a company that seems pretty rotten from the top, full of administrators and accountants and zero visionaries.

Its like a self protected group that keeps away anyone who doesn't like to count pennies and dollars.

That's how it goes... most leaders bring in "their guys"... people who are of like mindset who know better than to rock the boat. Those brought in by the leader bring in their own guys and it trickles all the way down. If the top is rotting, it doesn't take long to infect the whole organization.

Sure, you can bring in opposing viewpoints; strong-willed people who know their stuff and are willing to challenge, etc. but while that might lead to a highly successful organization, it's much easier to survive doing the wrong thing if there's no one around who will speak up about it.

How does that change? At the top, you bring in a creative mind with vision and purpose from the outside who will see the sycophants as a waste of payroll and clean house... replace them with the kind of people who should run a creative company. It's not going to happen by promoting from within because those in position to inherit this crown didn't get in that position by going against the grain.

What brings that change about is up for debate. Everyone on the current short-term gravy train is probably clamoring for more of the same. It's usually not until the golden goose is dead and buried that they grab their torches and pitchforks and by then, a revival will take a while.

All that's left to do is hope that the right person is brought in sooner rather than later. 2016 is the first opportunity.

erider

Is everything and photos too much to ask? ;)

Everything, well it's a pretty big park with a lot of rides. It's situated in Rust, a small town in the south of Germany. Europa Park is divided in lands themed to European lands. They have Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Switserland etc. The park is owned by the Mack family, which is also a big ride manufacturer. My favorite rides there are:
- Poseidon, a Mack watercoaster themed to a Greek temple, similair to Journey to Atlantis in Sea World Orlando
- Silver Star, Europe's second highest coaster. A B&M out and back design.
- Blue Fire, a launched Mack looping coaster which onboard sound.
- Woodan Timbur coaster, a huge GCI wooden coaster with a Viking theme.
- Atlantica Super Splash, a Mack shoot the chutes water ride with a Portugese theme.
- Abenteuer Atlantis, a shoot em up dark ride, like Buzz Lightyear.

I don't know if I'm allowed to place a link here, but here is a detailed trip report with lots of pics: http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2861

fosse76

Using July 11 as an example (I can't use July 4. WDW has plenty of availability; Universal has none. I wonder why?):

$478.13/night with tax

It's disgusting what Disney charges. Even less expensive rooms are comparatively priced as above. And what is pathetic on Disney's part, is the the new Cabana Bay will charge less for a SUITE than the regular room at Disney's Value Resorts (using a discount). And this new resort will offer 2 swimming pools, a waterslide, dive tower, lazy river, bowling alley, fitness center, food court & sit-down restaurant. How are Disney's value resorts a value?? Cabana Bay is better than Disney's moderate resorts! Sure you don't get the express pass, but considering the price points and what you do get, you're better off here than off-site, and certainly better than at a Disney resort.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Having one that doesn't really do anything is pointless.. and is kind of the point. A statement like 'we want to deliver the worlds most innovative houseware products' doesn't do **** to guide decisions within a company. Another fallacy is that vision statements are to define the focus of a company. No, what I'm saying is culture is broke when you say one thing, and do another. Having a vision statement doesn't fix that. Honesty and accepting of consequences is how you fix that.

Disney's Service Values statement (safety, courtesy, show, efficiency) is far more a practical guide than any vision statement like 'develop world class theme park entertainment for people of all ages' or some other lofty, but edgeless statement.

The problem is when a company is not honest or consistent in application of it's priorities. If your #1 worry is ensuring a 3% revenue growth.. then face up to it and spell it out.. because you are just going to steer your decisions by it anyways. Doing anything else just means lying to your employees and destroys credibility.

P
What's the company line on that?

How ... just how ... can that parade not be perfect and functional?!?!

Propane is expensive about 4.50 a gallon expensive..., Also fire marshall MAY have shut it down as well due to the proximity of uncontrolled flammables (think errant balloons) in the area. We MAY (I can't believe I'm saying this) need to give Disney a pass on this one. The fire is a awesome effect but a Vapor/Laser effect may have been a better choice from a strictly safety perspective.

71jason

P

Propane is expensive about 4.50 a gallon expensive..., Also fire marshall MAY have shut it down as well due to the proximity of uncontrolled flammables (think errant balloons) in the area. We MAY (I can't believe I'm saying this) need to give Disney a pass on this one. The fire is a awesome effect but a Vapor/Laser effect may have been a better choice from a strictly safety perspective.

They get a "pass" for not taking into account the relative expense of propane (a pittance compared to fireworks) or the possibility that there might be balloons along the parade route??? Did they design a generic parade to be run in the desert only to be told, "oh no, let's run it down MSUSA"?

If the fire effect can't be used on a daily basis, the parade designer is a failure. It's as simple as that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom