The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cosmic Commando

Never listened to a podcast and never will...

That includes any Disney podcast as well for me.
Swearing off Disney podcasts when you're a regular poster on a Disney forum is like swearing you'll only drink Pepsi from 12 oz cans and never 20 oz bottles... same product, different delivery system. Swearing you'll never listen to ANY podcast is even stranger. There are actually good, informative podcasts out there. That's like swearing off all TV because of Honey Boo Boo. Believe me, I listen to a LOT of podcasts at work because I drive for a living and I prefer it to the radio. I have tried many different podcasts (Disney and otherwise)... there are some real stinkers and some really worthwhile things, as well. If I hold my nose for certain parts, I even enjoy selected podcasts from the crazy lifestylers. If Lou has Jim Korkis on, for example, I'll gladly listen.

John

Swearing off Disney podcasts when you're a regular poster on a Disney forum is like swearing you'll only drink Pepsi from 12 oz cans and never 20 oz bottles... same product, different delivery system. Swearing you'll never listen to ANY podcast is even stranger. There are actually good, informative podcasts out there. That's like swearing off all TV because of Honey Boo Boo. Believe me, I listen to a LOT of podcasts at work because I drive for a living and I prefer it to the radio. I have tried many different podcasts (Disney and otherwise)... there are some real stinkers and some really worthwhile things, as well. If I hold my nose for certain parts, I even enjoy selected podcasts from the crazy lifestylers. If Lou has Jim Korkis on, for example, I'll gladly listen.

Okaaaaayyyyyy different strokes and all that jazz. Some people like Pepsi......some like Coke....its still soda. You like podcast, I like forums. So now we got that out of the way....

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Okaaaaayyyyyy different strokes and all that jazz. Some people like Pepsi......some like Coke....its still soda. You like podcast, I like forums. So now we got that out of the way....

Coke is terrible. Max all the way.
As for pod casts, they lost me with the idiotic name, what is it with new tech people and puerile terminology, almost as bad as the world of Lean and SixS.

AEfx

Swearing off Disney podcasts when you're a regular poster on a Disney forum is like swearing you'll only drink Pepsi from 12 oz cans and never 20 oz bottles... same product, different delivery system. Swearing you'll never listen to ANY podcast is even stranger.

I have never, and I'm pretty confident will never, listen to a "podcast". I simply don't have the time to listen to a bunch of folks gathered 'round the 'puter pontificate on any subject, at all. I go on the internet for information, and any pertinent information will be discussed via text in comments or elsewhere, where I can read it in moments rather than be stretched out to the absurd length some of these are. Podcasts to me are one of the worst inventions of the Internet, since virtually every computer comes with a microphone these days it's led folks to believe that what they have to say is just so important it's worthy of spending 45 minutes, and hour, or more chatting about. If folks like them, more power to you - but I just don't have time for it, nor the desire.

lazyboy97o

I have never, and I'm pretty confident will never, listen to a "podcast". I simply don't have the time to listen to a bunch of folks gathered 'round the 'puter pontificate on any subject, at all. I go on the internet for information, and any pertinent information will be discussed via text in comments or elsewhere, where I can read it in moments rather than be stretched out to the absurd length some of these are. Podcasts to me are one of the worst inventions of the Internet, since virtually every computer comes with a microphone these days it's led folks to believe that what they have to say is just so important it's worthy of spending 45 minutes, and hour, or more chatting about. If folks like them, more power to you - but I just don't have time for it, nor the desire.
Do you similarly discount radio, television, films and audio books? Podcasts are not just limit to fan discussions. There are many about topics such as history or news or stories, like a radio drama. It's like discounting all television because there are reality shows.

Cesar R M

Remember that I found out (and broke the news HERE) that George Kalogridis was replacing Meg Crofton as WDW head when he appeared at the New Fantasyland media opening as Disney's highest ranking official and was seen touring Florida Governor around?

Yep, those are clean hands.
in your opinion.. this guy is better? or of the same calibre?

Because I know there is a BIG HATE and gloomy opinion on Meg sitewide.

AEfx

Do you similarly discount radio, television, films and audio books? Podcasts are not just limit to fan discussions. There are many about topics such as history or news or stories, like a radio drama. It's like discounting all television because there are reality shows.

Just because you don't care for my opinion there is no need to be so obtuse.

I was simply agreeing with another poster, and would not have continued this discussion as I have that little regard for the topic, but since you asked - like I don't waste my time listening to "podcasts" I'm not going to waste my time going into the multitude of differences and the clear absurdity of comparing podcasts to the types of professionally produced media and entertainment products you have compared them to (and I'm sure your further retort would include "self-published books" - which, yeah, most of them suck too - but at least you can glance through a few pages in a couple of seconds to see if it's worth it or if someone should just stick to blogging).

That's because none of that is relevant to the base reason that I think they are largely rubbish - that unless they are done by someone I truly, truly care about hearing in their own voice - say, a memoir of someone I greatly admire or enjoy, where the quality of their voice may affect the emotional resonance of the text - in general there is nothing that can be said that is going to be substantially different than what one could absorb by written text in a much quicker fashion. In most cases it's simply a vanity exercise to think that what one has to say is so vitally important that it is worth 45-minutes or more of my time to sit and listen to all the filler to find out what information I was looking for, when I could locate it visually generally in seconds or a few minutes at most.

There is almost nothing more annoying than seeing something half-way interesting in my RSS feed that when I click on it says, "And to hear all about it, listen to our hour-long podcast where several of us sit around and discuss all the news stories of the past week, and finally get to this one piece of information you were looking for." I'll scan the comments if it's that important, and then just move on - because if it's truly earth shattering, it will end up somewhere else.

It's all about vanity - thinking that what folks have to say is just so terribly vital that we need to listen to them talk about it. If someone wants to write their opinion or share their expertise the old fashioned way, in writing (before the Internet made this so easy, I was a voracious reader of magazines), I'm more than happy to take a look at it if it's of interest to me - where I can skim it if need be, glean the pertinent information, etc. without having to listen to someone yammer on about it (as very few folks actually have pleasant recorded voices, any way, particularly in the DIY environment most are produced in). It's simply a product of our "look at me look at me" selfie/social media addiction/everyone is a special snowflake and wants to be a star society. PARTICULARLY in the Disney community, or any other fan community.

I'm sure you will say I'm just missing out, etc. - that's great, I doubt it - but I'll be left in my ignorance. I simply don't have that kind of time to devote to finding out. I am one of the most well-read, most informed folks on the topics I am interested in knowing about you will find, I consume enormous amounts of information daily (I doubt a day goes by where I don't read at least the equivalent of 300 pages, often a lot more) - if I listened to podcasts with that same time not only would I want to smash my head against the wall at listening to people I don't even know yammer on, but I would be far less informed simply by the scope.

lazyboy97o

I was simply agreeing with another poster, and would not have continued this discussion as I have that little regard for the topic, but since you asked - like I don't waste my time listening to "podcasts" I'm not going to waste my time going into the multitude of differences and the clear absurdity of comparing podcasts to the types of professionally produced media and entertainment products you have compared them to (and I'm sure your further retort would include "self-published books" - which, yeah, most of them suck too - but at least you can glance through a few pages in a couple of seconds to see if it's worth it or if someone should just stick to blogging).
I used the comparison to other professionally produced media because there are professionally produced podcasts. Simple as that.

AEfx

I used the comparison to other professionally produced media because there are professionally produced podcasts. Simple as that.

Well should I ever find one amongst the vast swaths of "me and my buddies are gonna chat and stroke" drivel that captures my attention and has some innate value or need to be in audio form versus written, I'll be sure to check it out. ;)

Tigger1988

Well should I ever find one amongst the vast swaths of "me and my buddies are gonna chat and stroke" drivel that captures my attention and has some innate value or need to be in audio form versus written, I'll be sure to check it out. ;)
All one has to do is go to iTunes, the professional casts usually top the charts in the category.

Believe it or not they aren't all recorded using a laptop microphone!

AEfx

All one has to do is go to iTunes, the professional casts usually top the charts in the category.

Believe it or not they aren't all recorded using a laptop microphone!

Should I ever find the need for information on a topic that I can't get elsewhere, or where the pertinent information won't be conveyed textually after the fact, I'll be sure to remember to check that out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom