The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

lebeau

I actually liked Into Darkness, the first movie as well. I'm probably digging myself into a grave saying this lol.

If you have never seen Star Trek before Abrams, I don't blame you. It's made for people unfamiliar with Star Trek.

But if you are familiar with Star Trek, you see Abrams' Trek for what it is. A dumbed-down, sped-up, over-produced cartoon-caricature of the original series.

DocMcHulk

Captain Picard would never say Please when he wants someone to Make It So!

insert Picard FacePalm Meme here.
jiFfM.jpg

Goofyernmost

As usual, you took what was said entirely too literally. I was simply saying Disney needs to get ahead of the story (rather than trying to kill it or act like it doesn't happen).

The people employed by Disney who have these "issues" is so minuscule (even more so the number of employees who have actually been accused while in the job), that it's pretty much a non-factor IMO.

As a parent, you have to be on guard at all times, no matter where you are, but I wouldn't hesitate to let my kids interact with the characters in the park.

I'm much more concerned with them in the bathrooms with guests than I am with them interacting with Disney employees.
As usual, I must point out that even though I used your post as a jumping point, the opinions that I stated are not necessarily completely connected to it. They are my opinions of things that in some cases agree with what others post or in some cases disagree with them.

In this case, I don't see what Disney can do about a social problem that would be concrete enough to make everyone just feel all warm and fuzzy. To say anything they either have to say that, yes, we recognize the problem, we know it's happening and we have no solution. That, in affect, will say that they ignored a problem that they knew existed thus deliberately exposing the public to a risk. At best it would sound like they are just wildly defending themselves. If the say that it doesn't exist, it appears that they are hiding their head in the sand and are deep in denial. They cannot win with any approach.

Since the fact is that currently they are not directly implicated in any wrong doing other then happening to have a few employees that are secretly less then upstanding citizens, there are no charges to be answered. What would they say? They cannot head something off at the pass, that isn't even heading in that direction. And even if they did, they are smart enough to not say anything that can be misinterpreted and cause them problems later.

Common sense has to be applied to this, so far all that has come out is that a specified number of employees have been implicated in an off-site, private display of wretchedness. There were more then just theme park employees caught in the sting. Why is it that the only ones we heard about are the theme park employee's. Where did the rest of them spend their day. Why, if there was any reason to be overly concerned were the rest of the businesses that they worked for are not listed in the same manner. If none of this happened on the job, then what we are talking about is something that people do in their personal life. Something that the companies that they work for have absolutely no control over and more then likely no knowledge of.

Skip

Two things:

"ThemeParkInsite" (that name, really?) has next to no credibility when it comes to unannounced attractions/juicy theme park rumors. It's run by a pair of teenagers that have publicly gotten into twitter bouts with each other. Unless they got really lucky, I'd take anything they say with a mountain of salt. (Then again, it is Star Trek. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.)

Some mentioned that the MIB lot is the location of HHN attractions - this is true, two Sprung tent locations are positioned there. These tents can be readily moved (they're semi-portable), though there aren't really a whole lot of options to move them to. This won't stop Uni from ordering a new land/attraction here, though - the whole Soundstage 44/Transformers fiasco is more or less proof that the decision makers on top will value resort growth over HHN. They'll cross the bridge when they have to and probably not a moment sooner.

For what it's worth, I've heard there are definitely plans for the MIB lot in the next half decade. However, they are far more secretive than other whispers... implying a major non Uni-IP in negotiations, ala Star Trek (or something else). Some have suggested a coaster. My thought is... look at Universal Singapore's Sci-Fi area, featuring an outdoor coaster, an E-Ticket dark ride, and a flat ride. This thing is right next to MIB, which is sci-fi based.

Connect the dots...

dadddio

Yea, I think that'll be the issue they need to look at. I probably believe it would be new Trek related to cash in on those just now getting into it. I am sure there are lots of people like my wife who have seen, and LOVE, the movies, but have never seen much of the show. (I've seen every episode of TNG, DS9, VOY)
It seems that they could make it 'generic' Trek without including any specific known characters and it would cover both 'old' and 'reboot' Trek.

I do think that it's more likely that they would use the old (or reboot) era rather than TNG/DS9/Voyager era.

stlphil

It would be a good property for Uni as it compliments their other properties (there is no significant "sci-fi" presence) and it would make for a high quality product if done well. The Star Trek Experience in Vegas was actually quite good, it just didn't get the foot traffic needed to be sustained.

IIRC, Star Trek previously had a presence in the Uni parks, so there's a relationship.
I'll just second the nod to the late, lamented, Star Trek Experience in Vegas, which was wonderful.

It included a simulator of a shuttle craft, so was in a way similar to Star Tours. As a ride, Star Tours was (and is) better, but the ride itself was just a portion (but essential) of a much larger overall "Experience" that was much more than the sum of its parts, and was amazingly immersive in making you believe you were part of the Star Trek universe. (As an aside, it was the exact opposite of the WDW Star Tours movie set, or the M:S "you are just training so this isn't real" conceit).

And the fact that you ended up in Quark's bar and could try some Romulan Ale didn't hurt.

Unfortunately, it didn't have nearly the capacity it would need if it were at a theme park.

bhg469

It seems that they could make it 'generic' Trek without including any specific known characters and it would cover both 'old' and 'reboot' Trek.

I do think that it's more likely that they use the old (or reboot) era rather than TNG/DS9/Voyager era.

Trek adjacent is a good idea, isnt there a SF theme close by? United federation of planets training academy anyone?

lebeau

Probably because your subjective opinions are at odds with my subjective opinions. I have seen the second film in the reboot series 4 times. Enjoyed watching it everytime. I just hope JJ brings the same level of detail to Star Wars VII.

We've discussed movies before. You said some very unflattering things about Miramax's entire output. I find that liking Into Darkness is very consistent with someone who doesn't appreciate some of the most highly regarded films of the decade.

As a Star Wars fan, I really hope Abrams does a better job on that franchise than he did on Star Trek. But I will say his style is at least a better fit for Star Wars than it was for Star Trek.

CinematicFusion

If you have never seen Star Trek before Abrams, I don't blame you. It's made for people unfamiliar with Star Trek.

But if you are familiar with Star Trek, you see Abrams' Trek for what it is. A dumbed-down, sped-up, over-produced cartoon-caricature of the original series.

I like them better then Star Trek: the motion picture. Not a good movie.
My favorite is ST2:TROK

71jason

I'm not going to instantly dismiss it, but file it under "Other Odd Rumors."

Bring me well researched proof!

Survey has been making the rounds again, asking about potential IPs. Star Trek, Wonka, Tron (?!? no, really), Ice Age, "board games", Family Guy, Loony Toons, Twilight. May have inspired some fanboi speculation. That said, hard to outright dismiss out of hand, even given a unproven source.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom