The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Mike S

If you have never seen Star Trek before Abrams, I don't blame you. It's made for people unfamiliar with Star Trek.

But if you are familiar with Star Trek, you see Abrams' Trek for what it is. A dumbed-down, sped-up, over-produced cartoon-caricature of the original series.
Netflix is your friend. :)

Come back when you're up to speed. We'll wait. ;)
I'm starting to feel like one of those Disney fans who thinks the all new stuff is all great and dandy and the older fans are telling me I'm wrong lol. Then again I was one of those fans just a few years ago, reading this site helped me start to see the truth.

FigmentJedi

We've discussed movies before. You said some very unflattering things about Miramax's entire output. I find that liking Into Darkness is very consistent with someone who doesn't appreciate some of the most highly regarded films of the decade.

As a Star Wars fan, I really hope Abrams does a better job on that franchise than he did on Star Trek. But I will say his style is at least a better fit for Star Wars than it was for Star Trek.
Well his entire goal with Star Trek was pretty much to turn it into Star Wars.

71jason

Twilight?!? Dear God, no... :hungover:

It's an odd idea board--how would that even translate into a theme park? And, of course, they don't have the rights to Tron, nor to Loony Toons, both of which are also dated IPs. If I didn't trust the source, I'd say it was made-up; but even someone making a fake survey would probably keep it more realistic than that.

DocMcHulk

Survey has been making the rounds again, asking about potential IPs. Star Trek, Wonka, Tron (?!? no, really), Ice Age, "board games", Family Guy, Loony Toons, Twilight. May have inspired some fanboi speculation. That said, hard to outright dismiss out of hand, even given a unproven source.
I"ll trade them TRON for Marvel.

lebeau

It's an odd idea board--how would that even translate into a theme park? And, of course, they don't have the rights to Tron, nor to Loony Toons, both of which are also dated IPs. If I didn't trust the source, I'd say it was made-up; but even someone making a fake survey would probably keep it more realistic than that.

I remember getting a Universal survey in e-mail many, many years ago. It was asking about potential stage shows based on Revenge of the Nerds, American Graffiti, Animal House and I believe there were some Disney properties mixed in. I don't know that Universal ever seriously considered any of those ideas.

doctornick

I do think that it's more likely that they would use the old (or reboot) era rather than TNG/DS9/Voyager era.

One of the things I really liked about the Star Trek Experience in Vegas was the "History of the Future" where they had a timeline of major events in the Star Wars universe, which allowed for citing both TOS and the time period of TNG/DS9/Voyager (and would be able to incorporate Enterprise as well easily).

Since time travel has been used on occasional in Star Trek, I'd love to see a land based on the time period of TNG/DS9/Voyager -- off the cuff would be to have the setting be the Deep Space 9 station itself with Enterprise visiting -- but with an attraction that involves travelling to and encountering the original series locale.

And I'd ignore the new movies just because it's too complicated to involve them.

71jason

I remember getting a Universal survey in e-mail many, many years ago. It was asking about potential stage shows based on Revenge of the Nerds, American Graffiti, Animal House and I believe there were some Disney properties mixed in. I don't know that Universal ever seriously considered any of those ideas.

But maybe they were trying to judge adult v. child, or something like that. Use Disney as a stand-in, and if it gets a response, go find a comparable IP out there.

But man, an Animal House show would've been fun.

cw1982

Twilight seems incredibly stupid to me. But I couldn't keep my wife away. I'm not sure if the fervor has died out. But at it's peak, Twi-hards rivaled Potterheads. I bet a Twilight land would be packed.

As a high school literature teacher, I can tell you the fervor has definitely died down. I read the books and saw the movies so I could keep up with my students in discussions on what little literary value they had, and I know at one time they were very popular, but I can't see them being as popular now as Potter.

Oh, I don't doubt it; but the difference, IMO, is there's not much to Twilight beyond the characters. No cool other world to explore. Sure, there are places that are referenced obscurely, but frankly, other than the town of Forks (very bland), about the most prominent setting would be Isle Esme, and all we as readers only see certain parts of the island. IMO the series just doesn't lend itself to theme park attractions in the same way that Potter does.

doctornick

As a Star Wars fan, I really hope Abrams does a better job on that franchise than he did on Star Trek. But I will say his style is at least a better fit for Star Wars than it was for Star Trek.

I feel like the new Star Trek films -- which I found entertaining, but not great -- were more like Star Wars films anyway. That's actually a problem with them, because they don't feel "right" for Star Trek. OTOH, I think Abrams' style will be better for Star Wars and will set a proper tone there.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Survey has been making the rounds again, asking about potential IPs. Star Trek, Wonka, Tron (?!? no, really), Ice Age, "board games", Family Guy, Loony Toons, Twilight. May have inspired some fanboi speculation. That said, hard to outright dismiss out of hand, even given a unproven source.
Yeah, I had posted a picture of the survey in the Uni thread. Not legit, definitely don't see how Tron even made it on there!

Rodan75

So I'm surprised that no one has brought up the insane amount of bad press Comcast is getting on their customer service and the legs that the story seems to have in light of the Comcast-TWC merger evaluation. If this customer service issue happened anywhere within TWDC these boards would be lit up.

Comcast has done a great job re-energizing NBCUni and the Uni Theme Parks...but are they neglecting their core revenue business, you know the revenue that allows them to spend lavishly in the parks the last couple of years?

PhotoDave219

I'm not dismissing.... Just needing more before I'll start believing.

cw1982

So I'm surprised that no one has brought up the insane amount of bad press Comcast is getting on their customer service and the legs that the story seems to have in light of the Comcast-TWC merger evaluation. If this customer service issue happened anywhere within TWDC these boards would be lit up.

Comcast has done a great job re-energizing NBCUni and the Uni Theme Parks...but are they neglecting their core revenue business, you know the revenue that allows them to spend lavishly in the parks the last couple of years?

In my area, Comcast has always had terrible customer service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom