The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cesar R M

I didn't say that they did not need help. I said it is not the park in the most in need of help.

With the amount of revenue it brings in during food and wine, flower garden, as well as holidays around the world… How couple do just fine for the moment.

We are in a triage situation. And by far, the studios are on life-support. Otherwise we wouldn't be bushing our fourth-quarter numbers with a temporary frozen thing.

But for as long as I've been on these forms, the Epcot fanboys have been screaming that their needs the most help. And frankly I'm tired of it.
Maybe they are not in "dire need" in therms of money.. but dire need in therms of culture and renovation.

FigmentJedi

Yet to nitpick but Disney butchered the entire epic of Hercules in that nonsense of a script. The only roman thing is the name, but the plot was an Americanisation hatchet job.
DIsney's Hercules goes right out the gate with the disclaimer essentially amounting to "Yeah we aren't doing the tragic tale of Hercules" and is functionally a modern version of Ancient Greek comedy plays that skewering the classic myths and throwing in comic relief shenanigans from a drunken satyr for no reason beyond satyrs being funny.
Add a dose of Superman, the modern Hercules, in for flavor and there you go.

lazyboy97o

I didn't say that they did not need help. I said it is not the park in the most in need of help.

With the amount of revenue it brings in during food and wine, flower garden, as well as holidays around the world… How couple do just fine for the moment.

We are in a triage situation. And by far, the studios are on life-support. Otherwise we wouldn't be bushing our fourth-quarter numbers with a temporary frozen thing.

But for as long as I've been on these forms, the Epcot fanboys have been screaming that their needs the most help. And frankly I'm tired of it.
The numbers say none of the parks need fixing, but fixing the EPCOT Center goes beyond just the park and it's performance. EPCOT Center was a level of aspirationalism that has pretty much ceased to exist. It questioned the capabilities of themed entertainment in ways that have not be followed. Even with all of the amazing work coming from Universal, they have never framed themed entertainment as a medium for a greater dialogue. Truly fixing EPCOT Center means changing Disney in profound ways that will naturally carry all of the other theme parks.

Last edited:

SirLink

DIsney's Hercules goes right out the gate with the disclaimer essentially amounting to "Yeah we aren't doing the tragic tale of Hercules" and is functionally a modern version of Ancient Greek comedy plays that skewering the classic myths and throwing in comic relief shenanigans from a drunken satyr for no reason beyond satyrs being funny.
Add a dose of Superman, the modern Hercules, in for flavor and there you go.

Yes that does not make it a good film. They could of created an epic but chose not to a darker toned story and tried something new for WDAS they chose not to but instead more fluff like "good conquers evil".

Soarin' Over Pgh

Seriously! Inquiring minds want to know... especially that whole "watch the plot between Norway and Mexico" teaser that was buried...

Right? I'm a'watching. It isn't doing much. C'mon guys! I've been circling back to this thread every hour today!

With all the hints I am guessing this is an announcement to do with promotions and them trying to raise on site stays in a desperate fashion.

If they would stop pricing out the middle class and raising prices/room rates faster than the average paycheck, maybe that wouldn't be an issue. I'M JUST SAYIN'.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

As one of said Epcot fanbois, I figure I might jump in here and explain (hopefully without falling into my natural state of rambling manifesto when it comes to this topic) without falling back into my bigger complaint about Epcot.
Let's pretend that the festivals don't exist. No Flower and Garden, no Food and Wine, no Candlelight Processional, etc. Does EPCOT still draw 2nd place in attendance at the parks? I don't know if we can categorically answer that question, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't.
So, trying to take out my main position just for argument's sake, that the park is a shadow of it's former self, I'd think that it's still a valid argument to be made that they had to fall back to adding festivals and special events that last 120+ days of the year (1/3 of the year) in order to draw visitors in to keep it's attendance numbers even semi in check. If those festivals dropped away, or a very similar set of festivals were implemented at the other parks, I'd bet that those parks very well might start beating out Epcot.

Take DHS for example. What if they took a couple of the already successful things they've been doing and extended them. Star Wars Weekends becomes bigger, there are more temporary changes to the park added to blend the theme in more, and the event ran weekdays as well. Then in the fall, they went with the successful Villians event and made a 50+ day long "Halloween / Villians" makeover. I'd bet that with the expansion of these two events, DHS would easily rival Epcot for attendance.

That, IMO is because the park was stale/broken enough that they had to add these extra events to keep the attendance from plummeting. Going back a little ways to 2006 (because I'm lazy and that was easy to dig back to) to look at attendance growth, Epcot has grown 7.69%, DHS by 10.98%, MK by 11.9%, DAK by 14.6%, USF by 16.6% and IoA by 52.8%.

And that is trying to find one angle in without getting into the difference in the quality of today's park vs. EPCOT in it's heyday. We, as (mostly) adult forum goers, still can enjoy Epcot because it's the place where adults can go and eat/drink/stroll. World Showcase still is mostly in tact, and that is the main draw of the park. The other 1/2 of the park is almost an afterthought. If they closed Future World, there might be some moaning on the loss of a couple of rides, but most folks would not care for much more than Soarin' or Test Track (while I'd cry about Living with the Land and SSE going away). I still enjoy DHS because there are some really fun rides there. I can enjoy DAK because of the level of commitment to theme and the animals. At Epcot, well, I like drinking at the Biergarten...

And with that, I've noticed that attempting to stay away from a rambling manifesto has failed miserably, so I'll quit now.

Last edited:

asianway

As one of said Epcot fanbois, I figure I might jump in here and explain (hopefully without falling into my natural state of rambling manifesto when it comes to this topic) without falling back into my bigger complaint about Epcot.
Let's pretend that the festivals don't exist. No Flower and Garden, no Food and Wine, no Candlelight Processional, etc. Does EPCOT still draw 2nd place in attendance the parks? I don't know if we can categorically answer that question, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't.
So, trying to take out my main position just for argument's sake, that the park is a shadow of it's former self, I'd think that it's still a valid argument to be made that they had to fall back to adding festivals and special events that last 120+ days of the year (1/3 of the year) in order to draw visitors in to keep it's attendance numbers even semi in check. If those festivals dropped away, or a very similar set of festivals were implemented at the other parks, I'd bet that those parks very well might start beating out Epcot.

Take DHS for example. What if they took a couple of the already successful things they've been doing and extended them. Star Wars Weekends becomes bigger, there are more temporary changes to the park added to blend the theme in more, and the event ran weekdays as well. Then in the fall, they went with the successful Villians event and made a 50+ day long "Halloween / Villians" makeover. I'd bet that with the expansion of these two events, DHS would easily rival Epcot for attendance.

That, IMO is because the park was stale/broken enough that they had to add these extra events to keep the attendance from plummeting. Going back a little ways to 2006 (because I'm lazy and that was easy to dig back to) to look at attendance growth, Epcot has grown 7.69%, DHS by 10.98%, MK by 11.9%, DAK by 14.6%, USF by 16.6% and IoA by 52.8%.

And that is trying to find one angle in without getting into the difference in the quality of today's park vs. EPCOT in it's heyday. We, as (mostly) adult forum goers, still can enjoy Epcot because it's the place where adults can go and eat/drink/stroll. World Showcase still is mostly in tact, and that is the main draw of the park. The other 1/2 of the park is almost an afterthought. If they closed Future World, there might be some moaning on the loss of a couple of rides, but most folks would not care for much more than Soarin' or Test Track (while I'd cry about Living with the Land and SSE going away). I still enjoy DHS because there are some really fun rides there. I can enjoy DAK because of the level of commitment to theme and the animals. At Epcot, well, I like drinking at the Biergarten...

And with that, I've noticed that attempting to stay away from a rambling manifesto has failed miserably, so I'll quit now.
Compare Epcot attendance to 1984

PhotoDave219

Let's pretend that the festivals don't exist. No Flower and Garden, no Food and Wine, no Candlelight Processional, etc. Does EPCOT still draw 2nd place in attendance the parks? I don't know if we can categorically answer that question, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't.

You've got some awfully rose-colored views of how DHS is actually doing. It is by far the worst Disney park in North America.

bhg469

Right? I'm a'watching. It isn't doing much. C'mon guys! I've been circling back to this thread every hour today!

If they would stop pricing out the middle class and raising prices/room rates faster than the average paycheck, maybe that wouldn't be an issue. I'M JUST SAYIN'.
They can easily fix everything if they just discount tickets for length of stay. That is just such a simple thing and they just seem to refuse to do it... I guess i am in the minority having been to both and seeing they both offer amazing attractions.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Compare Epcot attendance to 1984
I tried looking back for some of the older historical attendance numbers around the openings of EPCOT/DHS/DAK and with some limited searching, wasn't having a lot of luck. Most numbers I could find in 1984 basically combined both MK and Epcot into one big 23.9m number.
I will say that Epcot's attendance numbers that I could find show that attendance in 1997 was higher than it is today, so while each park is pretty much setting new records each year in their park attendance, Epcot is drawing fewer people today than they were 17 years ago.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You've got some awfully rose-colored views of how DHS is actually doing. It is by far the worst Disney park in North America.
IMO it isn't, but many folks have pointed out to me that my opinion is a little off-key, and skewed too much by "what was". I'll visit DHS any day over Epcot. I know DHS hurting, and I'm not saying it doesn't need a TON of work, but I enjoy DHS more than Epcot personally.
Like I said though, I'm a card carrying member of the psychotic EPCOT Center fanboi union, local '82 chapter.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a quick note, but I will not be placing my WDW news online today as planned.

CNN will be showing an AC 360 investigation tonight at 8 p.m. Eastern time of theme park workers who are child predators and are being hired with little or no background checks. One can surmise that this will be heavily focused on Orlando/Disney workers. And since they have been working this story for months (much like their VA Hospital expose) one can expect that this will have some legs.

To be clear, my news was not about said topic (despite me saying that this is a huge problem at Disney many times over here and on other forums and being met by derisive and ignorant retorts). But I think this is going to be a topic that folks will have on their minds and my info can wait at least until we see what CNN is reporting. And, yes, I did know this was coming, just not aware it was airing tonight until first thing this morning.

No, this doesn't mean I won't put my info out. Just that it can wait a bit ... and since today is actually a work day for me, back to work I go (BTW, I never had coffee this bad when Frannie was making it!)

doctornick

Yet to nitpick but Disney butchered the entire epic of Hercules in that nonsense of a script. The only roman thing is the name, but the plot was an Americanisation hatchet job.

Yeah it was a terrible mash up of the legend. But sadly that is what often happens with adaptions of mythological stories (e.g. it's not like Clash of the Titans is any better).

FigmentJedi

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom