The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PhotoDave219

Was at Disneyland last week... Quick service there is fantastic and very varied - surpring as most guests visit there for 1 or two days... Cut to Orlando where people are meant to vacation and spend upward of 4+ days... You have pretty much the same menu items across all the parks - it's all bland, it's all badly presented (cars land real life crockery anyone?) and it's all basic fast food... Fries, pizza, burgers.

Curse of the Dining plan maybe, but another disappointment in Orlando!

Well. All the side of the way dining options (Tortuga Tavern, Tomorrowland Tavern, Columbia Harbour House, Pinoccios Village Haus) close early or operate seasonally. Then you are stuck with Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bill's.

So there's variety but simply on paper.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Was at Disneyland last week... Quick service there is fantastic and very varied

That is a very recent transition. Historically it's been the other way around with food better at WDW. But with the recent changes, they've been expanding beyond the classic 'burger, fries, chicken, pizza' that made up the mainstay of their QS in DLR.

But with the DCA v2 reboot they added a lot of new stuff in DCA. Beyond NOS.. and the recently redone Plaza.. QS in DL is pretty much the classic 'blah'

CDavid

For only 200 million, we can have a themed land called Hazzard County.

A stunt show, the General Lee simulator ride, Rosco meet n' greet, explosive bow and arrows for the kids at the Redneck Training Academy, a restaurant called Cooter's, the possibilities are endless.

h8331C9A9

Ever been to Gatlinburg? You should.

New Fantasyland, new entertainment, updates to attractions, Avatar and Frozen attractions coming. The park's really are not stagnant.

Universal losing Jaws and Back to the Future over the last 6 years made a lot of guests upset. That would be like Disney shuttering Pirates and Star Tours.

Avatar is at least three years away. It does nothing to improve the experiences of guests in 2014 - or anytime recently when nothing new has been added. That indeed fits the definition of Stagnant. Disney could announce the Star Wars land of your dreams tomorrow, to open in 2019-21 - and it would do absolutely nothing to address the stagnation of Hollywood Studios in the meantime.

There is not really a Frozen attraction coming. There is a rushed overlay to an existing and thematically inappropriate ride coming, and while there is arguably a gray area, there is a difference between a new experience and an overlay of an existing attraction. Star Tours, for instance, is much improved but hardly a new attractions; Space Ranger Spin, however, while built on Dreamflight is clearly a new experience. Frozen remains to be seen, but a rushed effort does not usually inspire confidence.

My biggest complaint about Disney in the 1980's was no new attractions from 1984 to 1989. Talk about stagnant, Disney was totally stagnant when it came to new ride offerings during that period.

The record has already been set straight by @marni1971 and @flynnibus , but suffice it to say most of us here would love a Walt Disney World which would make the same number of additions as it did 1984 to 1989.

Star Tours is a huge upgrade over what was originally there. The ride changed to 3D, and added multiple sequences(something no other simulator has ever done to this point). It has much of an upgrade as Despicable Me and The Simpsons are.

I much rather ride a well themed coaster with state of the art animatronics and good drops than a Train where you basically watch TV screens. Personal preference.

Personal preference, however, is only applicable to yourself. The quality, scale, and entertainment value of an attraction must be judged objectively.

fbb

Was at Disneyland last week... Quick service there is fantastic and very varied - surpring as most guests visit there for 1 or two days... Cut to Orlando where people are meant to vacation and spend upward of 4+ days... You have pretty much the same menu items across all the parks - it's all bland, it's all badly presented (cars land real life crockery anyone?) and it's all basic fast food... Fries, pizza, burgers.

Curse of the Dining plan maybe, but another disappointment in Orlando!

There's certainly a variety of QS options in Epcot.

Avatar is at least three years away. It does nothing to improve the experiences of guests in 2014 - or anytime recently when nothing new has been added. That indeed fits the definition of Stagnant. Disney could announce the Star Wars land of your dreams tomorrow, to open in 2019-21 - and it would do absolutely nothing to address the stagnation of Hollywood Studios in the meantime.

There is not really a Frozen attraction coming. There is a rushed overlay to an existing and thematically inappropriate ride coming, and while there is arguably a gray area, there is a difference between a new experience and an overlay of an existing attraction. Star Tours, for instance, is much improved but hardly a new attractions; Space Ranger Spin, however, while built on Dreamflight is clearly a new experience. Frozen remains to be seen, but a rushed effort does not usually inspire confidence.

I have a feeling that guy doesn't know what the definition of stagnant is, and that he's just trying to use big words to prove a point. While I wouldn't say that Disney is the most stagnant it's ever been (correct me if I'm wrong, but was anything added in 2009 to WDW?), it's definitely stagnant, especially with regards to every park outside of the Magic Kingdom. If he's arguing that when Disney created 2 new gates, new hotels and a water park, that Disney was stagnant, then I don't know what to say. That's just epic troll level.

SJN1279

Your memory is bad.

Morocco, Laserphonic Fantasy, The Living Seas, Skylidascope, IllumiNations, Norway, Captain EO. That's just EPCOT Center.

Compared to now the parks were buzzing back then. Not to mention longer hours, more attractions of higher calibre, higher standards.

Today Epcot and DHS are stagnant. DAK needs more than its getting. Oh dear.

Please change the record. Or add something new.

As I said stagant. . If you pick the last 5 years in Disneyworld, you will find more updates and attractions than you did from 1984 to 1989.

As I said stagant. . If you pick the last 5 years in Disneyworld, you will find more updates and attractions than you did from 1984 to 1989.

2010-2014, here's what you've got:

- New FantasyLand in the Magic Kingdom
- Revival of Captain EO in EpCot
- Art of Animation completed
- MagicBands and New Fastpass system

Nothing else comes to the top of my head. How again is that less stagnant than 1984-1989, when a water park was built alongside Hollywood Studios?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Technically you could include

The Space Mountain debacle
Hall of Presidents
Star Tours 2
Mermaid ride
Dwarf Coaster
Test Track 2
Festival of Fantasy (but you'd have to remove BPB, CTF and DAKs JJP for fairness)

- as in new or substantially altered attractions from previous versions and not a traditional regular refurbishment (remember them?)

I'd do a comprehensive list of park only additions between 1984-1988 or 1985-1989, whichever is requested, but it'd be embarrassing for someone.

Technically you could include

The Space Mountain debacle
Hall of Presidents
Star Tours 2
Mermaid ride
Dwarf Coaster
Test Track 2

- as in new or substantially altered attractions from previous versions and not a traditional regular refurbishment (remember them?)

I'd do a comprehensive list of 1984-1988 or 1985-1989, whichever is requested, but it'd be embarrassing for someone.

3 of those were upgrades. 2 of them were part of New FantasyLand (which I included as a whole). However, your point stands, especially with regards to stagnation in DHS and Animal Kingdom. This is the textbook definition of stagnant. The opposite of stagnant is Disney in the 80s, or USO right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom